Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Question about power meter head units

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-14, 07:34 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts

Is there a head unit (on-bike computer) solution that can cut across different power meters on different bikes and make the data all interchangeable? So if you have one brand meter on one bike and a different brand on another, is there a computer that processes and tabulates the data as if it were exactly the same? Not counting the aspect of left leg only for some crank-based setups. In that case just processing the one-leg data as if it were both. Thanks.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 08-08-14, 07:50 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Is there a head unit (on-bike computer) solution that can cut across different power meters on different bikes and make the data all interchangeable? So if you have one brand meter on one bike and a different brand on another, is there a computer that processes and tabulates the data as if it were exactly the same? Not counting the aspect of left leg only for some crank-based setups. In that case just processing the one-leg data as if it were both. Thanks.
As long as the power meter is Ant+ compatible then any Ant+ compatible head unit will receive the data. Other than the Look/Polar powermeter I think most other wireless powermeters are Ant+ so a Garmin 500 or higher will pick up the data.

Not sure if that answers your question but the data recorded from two powermeters will generally be close but never exactly the same as the powermeters use different techniques to determine power and average power over different time periods. For example a PowerTap reports the power every 1 second, whereas an SRM will average the power over one crank revolution and report that data once per second (might be configurable).
Old 08-08-14, 07:55 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Originally Posted by gregf83
As long as the power meter is Ant+ compatible then any Ant+ compatible head unit will receive the data. Other than the Look/Polar powermeter I think most other wireless powermeters are Ant+ so a Garmin 500 or higher will pick up the data.

Not sure if that answers your question but the data recorded from two powermeters will generally be close but never exactly the same as the powermeters use different techniques to determine power and average power over different time periods. For example a PowerTap reports the power every 1 second, whereas an SRM will average the power over one crank revolution and report that data once per second (might be configurable).
Not talking about accuracy and precision. I suspect two of any single brand/model wouldn't agree exactly anyway. 1-2% makes no difference. No, I mean that the data tables and graphs, whatever, the output is, will be indistinguishable in form and information between the two units.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 08-08-14, 08:32 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 1,156 Times in 494 Posts
No, I mean that the data tables and graphs, whatever, the output is, will be indistinguishable in form and information between the two units.
Hmmm. It can occasionally be useful that the data aren't indistinguishable in form and information.
Old 08-08-14, 08:49 AM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by RChung
Hmmm. It can occasionally be useful that the data aren't indistinguishable in form and information.
Say more, oh cryptic one.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 08-08-14, 08:53 AM
kingfishr

Bikes: Ridley Noah, Trek Emonda, Colnago C59, Colnago Master, 1980 Colnago Super, Wilier Blade

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Quark Power meter and Garmin Vector and am using a Garmin 500 to load data to Traning Peaks, WKO+ and Garmin Connect. The data is indistinguishable between the bikes.
Old 08-08-14, 08:56 AM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by kingfishr
I have a Quark Power meter and Garmin Vector and am using a Garmin 500 to load data to Traning Peaks, WKO+ and Garmin Connect. The data is indistinguishable between the bikes.
Thank you. Exactly what I wanted to know. I love when that happens.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 08-08-14, 08:57 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Just upload your data to Garmin/Strava/MapmyRide/RidewGPS/GoldenCheetsh/Trainingpeaks, or whichever app/website offers the detail and analysis you need.

BB

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 08-08-14, 09:21 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 1,156 Times in 494 Posts
Say more, oh cryptic one.
Greg gave you the effectively correct answer: most PMs on the market today transmit with ANT+ so a standard ANT+ head unit will receive what is being sent, more or less. However, every PM is slightly different so standard protocols like ANT+ occasionally obscure differences between them. Even among ANT+ head units, certain models massage the data slightly differently -- for example, if you pair the same ANT+ PT hub to a Garmin 500 and an 800, the data streams can be slightly different. It turns out that many PM/head unit combinations have a particular idiosyncratic "fingerprint" and sometimes that fingerprint can be handy if you know how to read them.

But those occasions are rare. An ANT+ head unit it pretty much the way you want to go.