Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Park tools worth it

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Park tools worth it

Old 10-30-20, 03:19 PM
Chris!

Bikes: Jamis renegade, surly big dummy, giant talon 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Park tools worth it

Title says it all. Are park tools work it for the home mechanic to wrench on a bike from time to time? I've got some park tools and I've purchased some "pro bike tool" tools on Amazon. Seem to work the same... I often feel that if I'm going to spend a lot of money on a tools it should at least be made in the US and I can go with something like wolftooth.
Old 10-30-20, 03:32 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
"Pro" is owned by Shimano.

Most of my bicycle specific tools are Park.

Some of the tools are leftovers from my automotive tool box.
Old 10-30-20, 03:34 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Yes. Are Snap-On tools worth it? Also yes.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 10-30-20, 03:35 PM
Chris!

Bikes: Jamis renegade, surly big dummy, giant talon 29er

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
"Pro" is owned by Shimano.

Most of my bicycle specific tools are Park.

Some of the tools are leftovers from my automotive tool box.
But were they worth the extra money?
Old 10-30-20, 03:38 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
"Worth" is a subjective concept. In other words, no one can tell you whether anything in this life is "worth it." You have to decide for yourself.
Old 10-30-20, 03:39 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
I prefer Birzman, Pedros, or Feedback. General purpose tools I usually buy Wera or Wiha.

Last edited by unterhausen; 10-31-20 at 05:44 AM.
Old 10-30-20, 03:43 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
Yes. Yes they are...
You are only going to buy your tools once...add to over a lifetime...
I have never once questioned the quality of my Park Tools.
If I didn’t think the particular Park Tool was up to the task...I moved up the the next, Park Tool, tool...cone wrench up to the regular wrench for instance...
I have some bigger Pedro wrenches that are gouged because they looked like they could be used for a situation that called for a more heavy duty tool...
All are well marked and allow pro look organization...
All adds up...
Old 10-30-20, 03:46 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Chris!
But were they worth the extra money?
As long as they don't damage any of the bicycle hardware and don't break... i'm OK with any extra cost.

Most of the hardware on my bikes are Allen head and i've seen plenty of check Allen keys round off the heads and wear out due to soft metal. Most of my automotive tools are S/K and i've had some for 50 years. The Park Allen keys are made of hardened steel, have ball ends and nice handles. They work for me and it's what I see in most bike shops.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 10-30-20, 03:47 PM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
I'm a former heavy duty truck tech so I use a majority of Snap-On hand tools. You can get away with a lot cheaper hand tools for house work.

I'd spend the money on specialty bike tools but would say you can get good use out of Spin Doctor (Performance Bike), Wheels Mfg and other brands. Doesn't have to be Park or Pro to get the job done.
Likes For oris:
Old 10-30-20, 03:56 PM
Elbeinlaw

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts
First quality tools are definitely worth it. Having had a pedal wrench break in my hand while trying to remove a pedal recently, I can confirm that good tools are worth every bit they cost. With an exception.

I'm a proponent of Harbor Freight-type-quality tools. But only to this limited extent. If I need a tool--which usually happens when I have one specific application that I need to handle right now--if it costs more than a couple of bucks, I'll buy the cheapest tool. Then if I find that it's valuable, I'll spend serious money on a Park or similar quality when it proves itself. Sometimes I buy the cheap-POS tool in one decade and only have a second use in another decade. Sometimes it's more often. But the second time I use it, I'll evaluate whether I need to spend the money for a good tool.

I bought that cheap white metal garbage pedal wrench sometime back in the '80s. I doubt I used it again until 2020. I bought the Park about 4 months ago.
Old 10-30-20, 03:57 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
When it comes to tools, you get what you pay for. More expensive brand name tools will always be better than very cheap tools... Personally I am not a pro-mechanic so I don't buy the most expensive tools out there but I also don't like going too cheap. I get something in the middle.
Old 10-30-20, 04:18 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Depends on the tool. I'm a harbor freight addict, I don't buy tools by name or even price but by what looks like a quality tool.

Having said that I really like Park Tool. Quality company, USA made, well designed and equally well made tools. They know bikes and know how to build a tool. I recently bought a PCS-4 repair stand. Not cheap, lots of other options that were more cost effective, but it works perfectly and I'm extremely happy with it.

I won't buy every tool from them, but if you want to pamper yourself, Park Tool is a good option.
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 10-30-20, 04:33 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Park Tools are good quality, but definitely a step below Wera/Wiha/Snap-On. For general purpose tools, like hex keys, I would go with some other vendor where there's better value. The advantage of Park Tools is for bike specific stuff, they're reliable and get the job done. Basically, if you need a tool to remove a bottom bracket, you can buy the Park Tool version and know that it'll work. There are higher quality bike specific tools (like Abbey) out there, but you're going to pay for it. Park is a solid middle ground.
Likes For gsa103:
Old 10-30-20, 04:59 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

My limited experience with Harbor Freight tools are I bought a leak down tester and really only needed it once... it didn't work right out of the box. I saw a HF floor jack not hold pressure and almost drop a car on someone. And the just had a big recall on their jack stands that collapse.

Having a tool break on you can leave you with a broken hand or dead when the car drops on you.

You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get"
Old 10-30-20, 05:33 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
I go with the depends group. I’ve built wheels with a friends Park truing stand and a cheaper Nashbar one I’ve had for 30’ years. The Park is faster and so much easier. Folding Allen wrench I get from Lowe’s or Ace. T handle with the ball tip the Park are hardened better and show no wear after 10 years. Park cassette tools seem to work better and don’t pop out like cheaper ones like the Performance.
Old 10-30-20, 06:29 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
I purchased a frame this summer and ended up buying a bunch of tools to put it together. The one thing I learned is that cheap tools lead to nothing but problems. Several times, I had to stop using a tool and go buy a park tool to make sure I did the job right. Me, I think they are worth it.
Old 10-30-20, 07:13 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
I can tell you one thing about Park Tool. They stand behind their products and the customer service is incredible.

Whenever I need a bike specific tool I buy Park.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 10-30-20, 07:25 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Most of my tools are from the Park Tool Company so yes I think they are worth it. I even purchased their rolling tool chest to keep them in.
Old 10-30-20, 08:08 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Park's good quality. Unior is about the same price and can be even nicer, IMO:
https://uniorusa.com/

If you're willing to spend some bucks, various brands make terrific non-bike specific tools that are perfect for working on bikes.
Wera makes great stainless allen wrenches: https://www.amazon.com/Wera-05022669...ag=googhydr-20

Nepros is total overkill, but they make the best JIS screwdrivers in the world.
https://www.nepros.net/?cat=4&grp=19
Old 10-30-20, 08:38 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
My limited experience with Harbor Freight tools are I bought a leak down tester and really only needed it once... it didn't work right out of the box. I saw a HF floor jack not hold pressure and almost drop a car on someone. And the just had a big recall on their jack stands that collapse.

Having a tool break on you can leave you with a broken hand or dead when the car drops on you.

You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get"
Got to pick your need, one time use and never need it again their great, something you have to rely on, nope. Can do a 2000 sqft house with their flooring nailer and not much more then that, but I only plan to do one flooring job and don't care to store the nailer. Similarly their tile cutter worked perfect for redoing a bathroom in marble and tile and was significantly cheaper then a rental. Even left a perfectly good working tool for my dead ass BIL to finish the upstairs bathroom with. It might have rusted solid by now but worked when I left it with him. If it was profession, it would not be good enough.

IMHO and experience. When it comes to bike specific tools Park is one of the best and easiest to get ahold of though not cheap. I've never been impressed with Pedros, once snapped three of their spoke wrenches, didn't bother warrantying the third, none lasted more then 3 wheels. Liked the design which was similar to my very old school trek that was made by Snap On from the 90s. Campy and some other brands make similar quality.

But I'd save my money on non-bike specific items or spend a little more for even better. Good example is their ratchet wrenches which look like rebadged gearwrench, for less money I'd get the gearwrench which lacks the unnecessary blue wrap or for not a lot more I'd buy the SK 80019 set which is a little chunkier looking but has a finer ratchet mechanism and will hold up to any other use I care to put it through. There's legitimate videos on youtube of one of the wrenches ripping the head off a grade eight bolt in a head to head against snap-on which costs even more though they're nice. Got a bolt that won't move, the wrench will not be the first thing to give.
Allen wrenches are Bondhus for me. Readily available, industrial quality, and much cheaper and every bit as nice. Can have a nice set of ball end T handle. Again, good more more then just bikes.
Screwdrivers I use craftsman which the last set I bought were US made and by Western Forge so again, good US industrial quality.
Ratchets and Sockets are by Wright, mostly because I really like the shape of their handles which are really smooth and curvy. SK would be just as good. Not really more then Park and made to industrial standards. I have had a 6ft pipe on my 1/2" ratchet and bounced on it to get a hub off a car. So when I have a stuck BB and bolt the tool to the bb and stick the socket over the end I know I can step on that ratchet handle and the BB will give.
For any common tools US made industrial quality tools will get the job done, and industrial doesn't mean rough, they're all beautifully chromed tools that are built to high standards and for serious durability. Its also what I prefer as I've been known to spend the morning cursing at stuck, rusted bolts in the engine bay of my car and the evening relaxing by lightly tuning my bike and I want my general use tools to survive being thrown across the parking lot when oops moments happen.
Old 10-30-20, 09:20 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
I made the mistake of buying a cheapie crank remover. After I used it twice the head started threading into the spindle bolt hole instead of pushing against the spindle. Lesson learned.
Old 10-30-20, 09:30 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Yes. Are Snap-On tools worth it? Also yes.
Park tools aren’t even in the same league as Snap-on, pretty obvious where they over lap. Some of Parks specialty tools are pretty good though.
Tim
Old 10-30-20, 09:34 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
sometimes yes sometimes no. had to buy their brake bleed kit because I could not find all the parts needed in the list I needed for Magura and Shimano. part of it is the pandemic but still like even the kit magura sells does not have the cup. but 1127.00 is expensive for this.

Old 10-30-20, 11:54 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Almost all of my tools are Park. Maybe it's a holdover from my shop days, but I just don't see any reason not to buy the standard of the industry.
Old 10-31-20, 04:13 AM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
?!

Originally Posted by blakcloud
Most of my tools are from the Park Tool Company so yes I think they are worth it. I even purchased their rolling tool chest to keep them in.
Park Tool sells a rolling tool chest?!

Picture(s)...
Likes For billnuke1:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.