Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 05-09-19, 10:36 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
Save yourself from the hobbit if you liked the book. It's the only lord of the rings book I've ever been able to read and i still thought the movies were not good. Funny thing is I love the lotr movies despite being utterly unable to make it through the books.
I loved The Hobbit, but could never get more than a couple hundred pages into the LOTR. Good lord, let's go already!
Old 05-09-19, 10:43 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Collegiate Nationals this weekend in Augusta, GA. This is the 1st "Nationals" of ~30* I have not been at to watch my kid race.
I guess I am growing up.
I still had to overnight some parts to Augusta - nice to be needed.
I still plan to go to Hagerstown.

*Since 2008...junior, then cx, mtb, collegiate, track, hill climbing - it all adds up.
Edit: I was not there for the junior TTT - they won. So maybe that is a good thing I'm missing.
Old 05-09-19, 01:43 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Collegiate Nationals this weekend in Augusta, GA. This is the 1st "Nationals" of ~30* I have not been at to watch my kid race.
I guess I am growing up.
I still had to overnight some parts to Augusta - nice to be needed.
I still plan to go to Hagerstown.

*Since 2008...junior, then cx, mtb, collegiate, track, hill climbing - it all adds up.
Edit: I was not there for the junior TTT - they won. So maybe that is a good thing I'm missing.
MattM can attest to this, but the course will be hot and rolling.
Old 05-13-19, 09:49 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,567 Posts
Dear David Garcia,

The following request to change your USA/Road category has been approved and processed by USA Cycling:
tmonk - 2019-05-11 0:47
Member: David Garcia
License: USA Road
Request to change category from Cat 3 to Cat 2
Old 05-13-19, 10:39 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
@TMonk Excellent!! Well deserved!
Likes For Hermes:
Old 05-13-19, 10:50 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Congrats!
Likes For caloso:
Old 05-14-19, 10:05 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,567 Posts
Spent some time this evening tweaking the TT bike position with the trainer and a mirror. Rode it around the 'hood for like 10 min in the position and now my neck hurts. About to start gluing tubulars to my new track wheels (55 mm carbon), applied base layers to the tire and wheels last night. Fun doing all this new stuff!
Likes For TMonk:
Old 05-17-19, 08:11 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,390 Posts
Went with a friend to hang out at the finish of yesterday's ATOC stage in Ventura. The wind was very strong with whitecaps on the ocean. The men had tailwind on most of their route until the end so they came in way ahead of predicted times and almost caught some of the women, who did an out and back route facing headwinds on the way out.
Women's winner looked like a machine as she flew by with an 18 second gap over a chase group but the men's winner wasn't decided until the last few seconds.
Both fields were blown to pieces. Trying to decide if I want to drive in traffic and then ride up Mount Baldy to watch today.
Old 05-17-19, 09:39 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
I've got a small collection of boxes showing up on the front porch this week. Hopefully it's spread out enough to not garner too much attention. Lol.

All TT bike related. I like it enough I'm going to get it where I want it.

On the way:

used 5x130 170mm crank
used Dura Ace 2nd gen Stages meter
Garbaruk 1x chainring
Giro laceups
Corsa Speed tubs

Hiding out in the shed:
aero Speedplays

Finally, I won't have to swap over the meter and pedals anytime I want to ride that bike. I haven't used the small ring since I got it ride-able.

I sound like a wuss, but can't decide if I want to do the state TT champs or not. I haven't ridden the bike on the good tires yet for a good run.

My slow category even seems fast from old year's results. They did a pan flat coastal ride years past, and in morning perhaps with no wind. The top 3 all were 26 to 26.5mph for a 40k. Geesh.

I know I do routes with some rollers, **** pavement, and some wind......but my 10mi times with hills involved aren't even close. Like 24mph. I pulled a 23.5mph 18 miler as part of a duathlon having to hold back on a gentle rolling course.

If the best indicator of performance is performance, a'la Coggan, then I still suck too much to go do that. But maybe the pressure, preparation, and atmosphere may do me good.
Old 05-17-19, 11:04 AM
topflightpro

BTS, you won't know how you stack up until you go do the race.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 05-17-19, 11:27 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Meh, it'll be worth it just to be left the freak alone on the TT bike for an hour without getting hassled by some bull crap on a training ride or trying my local Strava segments.

Even if I'm not even close, the convenience of an undisturbed run is worth the $30.
Old 05-17-19, 12:23 PM
big john

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Meh, it'll be worth it just to be left the freak alone on the TT bike for an hour without getting hassled by some bull crap on a training ride or trying my local Strava segments.

Even if I'm not even close, the convenience of an undisturbed run is worth the $30.
It sounds like you're pretty strong to me. It also sounds like you really want to do it, and you'll get to see how you do when **** gets real.
Old 05-17-19, 12:51 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Thanks!

Time to get real in terms of "simulation" workouts and planning for each like you would an event ride. Get the pacing strategies down. I busted my last 10mi workout, went out too hard guessing on using more in the first outbound halve due to the headwind outbound. Then had nothing for inbound (false flat back, but with tailwind). Ended up with a dead even out/in split when it should have been probably 2mph faster on the inbound.

I'm about to lose my marbles waiting on tires from PBK.

I'm going to contact a few higher category guys I do TT sim rides with and see if someone wants to carpool to do a recon ride sometime soon. No worries since they're in the faster category.
Old 05-22-19, 03:21 PM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Is anyone doing Intelligentsia Cup this year? Thinking about going as a last hurrah before I take a few seasons off, the wife has approved! Plus there's a cat 2/3 field, so I may have a shot at an actual result. Just need to figure out travel and lodging
Old 05-22-19, 05:26 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Yes I'll be there with some teammates!

Definitely worth the trip, it's a great race series.

my race videos
Old 05-23-19, 10:19 AM
topflightpro

I started my new job a week and a half ago. The coworker who sits next to me wears big, over-the-ear headphones to listen to music most of the day - no big deal. But she frequently starts singing along to whatever she is listening to in a fairly high-pitched tone. And I don't think she realizes how loud she can get when she does this. I have resorted to taking out my hearing aid and to wearing my own headphones as a result, and sometimes, I can hear her over my earbuds.

As the new guy, I'm not sure how to address this.
Old 05-23-19, 02:14 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
I started my new job a week and a half ago. The coworker who sits next to me wears big, over-the-ear headphones to listen to music most of the day - no big deal. But she frequently starts singing along to whatever she is listening to in a fairly high-pitched tone. And I don't think she realizes how loud she can get when she does this. I have resorted to taking out my hearing aid and to wearing my own headphones as a result, and sometimes, I can hear her over my earbuds.

Singing along in an office is a pretty dumb idea. I have no idea how I'd address that though as a coworker. As a manager I'd certainly just talk to them one on one and bring up that it can be distracting and I've noticed it, but as the new coworker I don't have a clue.
Old 05-23-19, 02:18 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro

I have to ask what the work is such that listening to music and singing along enhances productivity to the benefit of the company.
Old 05-24-19, 07:05 AM
topflightpro

I'm not sure what she does. I'm sort of alone in this office. The rest of my team is in DC or NYC. But there are a lot of graphic designers around me.
Old 05-24-19, 08:06 AM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
She probably doesn't even realize she is singing along. I would just tell her, as lightly as a I could what she is doing and that it is a bit distracting. She'd probably be slightly embarrassed, but no big deal.
Old 05-24-19, 09:26 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Hard pass. I’d start a job search.
Old 05-24-19, 02:22 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
It could be worse. A secretary I knew supported two mangers who would listen to loud music in their nearby offices. One played death metal and the other loved Christmas carols... so all of December she went mad listening to death carols.
Old 05-24-19, 02:23 PM
big john

I've had issues with people playing their music at annoying levels at different jobs. Everyone has to get along so some rude person shouldn't be able to force their noise on everyone else. I almost got into fights over loud music at work but once I got old guys had mercy and turned their stuff down, or we would take turns annoying each other.
My last job they found out how much I hated "Hotel California" and three of them would blast it every time it came on. One guy even called my home phone and played it into my messages. I got a good laugh out of that. Another guy found a German cover and blasted that for me. Love the creativity.
Old 05-24-19, 02:26 PM
big john

Originally Posted by Enthalpic
I could be worse. A secretary I knew supported two mangers who would listen to loud music in their nearby offices. One played death metal and the other loved Christmas carols... so all of December she went mad listening to death carols.
Christmas Oldies are the worst.
Old 05-24-19, 03:35 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Enthalpic
It could be worse. A secretary I knew supported two mangers who would listen to loud music in their nearby offices. One played death metal and the other loved Christmas carols... so all of December she went mad listening to death carols.
That should be against the Geneva convention.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.