Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Under Garment Question

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Under Garment Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-19, 05:27 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,395 Times in 2,739 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr.Lou
Never say never. Very common with female Asian recreational cyclists et al.
Now that's an interesting observation!
Old 06-23-19, 05:43 AM
Dr.Lou

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Now that's an interesting observation!
lol
Not difficult to see panty lines through Lycra when following at reasonable distances.
Old 06-23-19, 07:51 AM
Cl904

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
I take this further and go no underwear anytime I may ride a bike, no matter what I’m wearing.

🤷*♂️
Old 06-23-19, 03:14 PM
bikejrff

Bikes: No. 22 Bicycle Great Divide, Lynskey R260, Salsa Colossal Ti, Litespeed T5, Lynskey Peloton, Bianchi Vigorelli, CAAD 10, Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, C-Dale Quick 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I usually wear ultra thin wicking fabric Champion boxer-briefs under my padded bike shorts. Works for me. I've tried both ways since the 1970s. With is more comfortable for me.

It's the same fabrics used in most cycling clothes. It doesn't defeat the purpose of the pads. And it provides better support. The Champion shorts have a breathable mesh pouch for Frank and the beans, so everything stays where it belongs but doesn't overheat.

But don't try that with regular cotton undies.
A big yes to this post. I wear Champion or Starter polyester/spandex compression briefs under my bibs. Much better as far as fit and compression and more easily replaceable than bibs/shorts that start to stretch out a little. I never have any chafing issues. Bibs/shorts also last much much longer.
Likes For bikejrff:
Old 06-23-19, 04:43 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
The only "bad" advice I've seen regarding wearing appropriate underwear (does is sound more pro if we call 'em baselayer bottoms?) is the notion that it enables riders to wear the same padded shorts for more than one session before washing. I wouldn't agree with that.

For one thing, the Champion and similar tech fabric support undies are ultra-sheer. Anything applied to or excreted by the nether regions -- butt balm, sweat, residue after discovering the portapotty had no toilet paper, etc. -- will seep through the sheer fabric underwear. It's not intended to squeeze multiple wearings of padded shorts without washing.

Besides, I use lots of electrolytes and sometimes other drink mixes with caffeine, and sometimes creatine. That stuff dribbles onto my shorts and jerseys and leaves a white frosting. So does sweat, especially if we load up on electrolytes. They're gonna need washing after every ride, regardless of fancypants wicking fabric undies.

The techie undies are just for comfort and support. If you have a saggy scrotum and need to rearrange the beans often during a ride to avoid pinching a fold of skin, try the Champion undershorts I linked to above, or a comparable set from Under Armour or the maker of your choice. I just like Champion because it's the best value and does the job.

Decades ago I got tired of digging into my shorts to rearrange stuff, especially in group rides. It's the genetic curse of saggy scrotums. The old merino wool and leather chamois shorts alone didn't provide enough support. The worst was standing to climb hills, then sitting on a wayward testicle and being slammed with that sensation of brain-numbing pain, nausea, dizziness and weak legs.

And as an amateur boxer I was already accustomed to wearing support underwear under the groin cup and kidney belt protectors. Even back in the 1970s there were early versions of poly tech fabric support briefs. The fabric wasn't nearly as good, and the seams on briefs weren't suitable for cycling.

But snug fitting boxer-briefs using modern tech fabrics solved all those issues. There's no seam to rub the skin raw. You'll never even think about having an additional layer down there. But it resolves issues with pinching folds of skin, sitting on a testicle, pulling hairs, etc. And I don't use or need butt butter or any sort of skin balms.

If you've never had these issues, yay. You're among the lucky ones. But if you have, try some good support undies. Don't scrimp and buy cheaper stuff. The Champion long leg boxer-briefs with two kinds of fabric (a mesh pouch for the terrible trio) will cost about $10-$15 a pair. I've never found equally good shorts for less money.
Old 06-23-19, 08:09 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
It's one of the things I love about this sport. When else is it acceptable to go 40+ MPH on a 16 pound piece of plastic wearing nothing but underwear?!
2 more - Spring Skiing... Surfing isn't as fast perhaps, but the scenery, oh, the scenery. Wahooo!
Old 06-23-19, 09:26 PM
Princess_Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Has anyone sharted their bibs and wished they wore underwear? Asking for a friend.
Old 06-23-19, 09:32 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Princess_Allez
Has anyone sharted their bibs and wished they wore underwear? Asking for a friend.
Chamois is quite absorbent.
Old 06-24-19, 07:50 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I always wonder if OPs in threads like this are unaware of the existence of Google.

Google "should i wear underwear with cycling shorts". First response: NO.

This is setting aside that this is probably the most cliched newbie cyclist question of all time, one that likely has been covered in several threads already here.

Please make a little effort, folks.
Old 06-24-19, 07:58 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by BirdsBikeBinocs
I'm thinking this will go 50/50 just like in real life.
Have you counted up the score yet? With the exception of one person using specific compression underwear, all say no underwear while riding, we all know no gitch while wearing chamois.
Old 06-24-19, 08:18 AM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
I always wonder if OPs in threads like this are unaware of the existence of Google.

Google "should i wear underwear with cycling shorts". First response: NO.

This is setting aside that this is probably the most cliched newbie cyclist question of all time, one that likely has been covered in several threads already here.

Please make a little effort, folks.
Oh really.?? So I should ignore all the biking experience here and turn to what.??.... Google.?? Really dude.?? News alert.... Every single topic here could be answered through giggle. Did you hear me.?? EVERY SINGLE Topic Here Can Be Answered On Giggle. Can you hear me now.??

And oh ya, I didn't have do the tally thing. My question was answered within the first 3 replies. You're late to the party and have no information to add other than pointing out that it is the most common question from noobs. Gee, try to think back to when you were a noob. Can you reach back that far buddy and think about all the questions you had in your infancy.??

Take a suck pill and don't chew it genius.

Last edited by BirdsBikeBinocs; 06-24-19 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-24-19, 08:28 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
go highlands ... a Kilt and 'commando' ..
Old 06-24-19, 08:28 AM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
Have you counted up the score yet? With the exception of one person using specific compression underwear, all say no underwear while riding, we all know no gitch while wearing chamois.
Another bozo here^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ mouthing off because he can't remember all the questions he had when he was a beginner. Man, that guy^^^^^^^^^^ is proud. You say.... "We all know...." Right. You all know but I didn't. So I asked. And I got a lot of replies without the garbage mixed in. Those are the guys I want to be friends with. Guys like you are quickly forgotten. Take a long walk on a short pier buddy. Drop off and get wet Freddy....
Old 06-24-19, 08:36 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Another bozo here^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ mouthing off because he can't remember all the questions he had when he was a beginner. Man, that guy^^^^^^^^^^ is proud. You say.... "We all know...." Right. You all know but I didn't. So I asked. And I got a lot of replies without the garbage mixed in. Those are the guys I want to be friends with. Guys like you are quickly forgotten. Take a long walk on a short pier buddy. Drop off and get wet Freddy....
Never meant to criticize you for asking. Sorry it came off that way. I thought your guess that the responses would be 50/50 was wrong, but not stupid or worthy of derision. And it's good you asked because many do not know... I meant to say that most experienced cyclists have been told, or figured out on their own.

As for the rest of your bizarre angry post.... if internet comments make you angry, maybe you shouldn't be on the internet.

WL
Likes For Wilfred Laurier:
Old 06-24-19, 09:07 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by gringomojado
Then you have to deal with skid marks?
Go easier on the rear brake!

But seriously, toilet paper? My underwear don't have stains, why would my chamois?
Likes For Caliper:
Old 06-24-19, 12:10 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,395 Times in 2,739 Posts
TMI in this thread I don't get all this worry about skid marks. Are we 5 years old? Wipe your butts?
Old 06-24-19, 12:35 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
The hair-trigger, ever-increasing, gasket-blowing lunacy of this OP is a joy to see. Also enjoying his (?) 1940's gangster insults: "drop off and get wet Freddy". That's pure gold.
Likes For Hiro11:
Old 06-24-19, 02:02 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
If you've never had these issues [big balls], yay. You're among the lucky ones. But if you have, try some good support undies.
No good sir, I have never had difficulty with this.

I don't wear underwear with my cycling shorts.

A word of caution, they make chamois that are really thin Lycra for use under shorts. Do not wear those alone - you will get awkward looks (been there )
Old 06-24-19, 02:08 PM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
I don't ride with padded shorts or bibs any more. That said, I do wear 2 pairs of lycra shorts otherwise there is nothing at all left to the imagination.
Old 06-24-19, 02:23 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Originally Posted by Hiro11
The hair-trigger, ever-increasing, gasket-blowing lunacy of this OP is a joy to see. Also enjoying his (?) 1940's gangster insults: "drop off and get wet Freddy". That's pure gold.
Thanks. Some of your posts are rather instigating. In hockey, you'd sit in the box for 2 minutes. You're the only guy I know that turns to google for his advice on biking. I save my "efforts" for the bike. I don't roll with google. Like you.
Old 06-24-19, 02:30 PM
bugs11

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
The only thing between me and my padded shorts is a layer of chamois butter.
Old 08-09-19, 06:20 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Oh really.?? So I should ignore all the biking experience here and turn to what.??.... Google.?? Really dude.?? News alert.... Every single topic here could be answered through giggle. Did you hear me.?? EVERY SINGLE Topic Here Can Be Answered On Giggle. Can you hear me now.??

And oh ya, I didn't have do the tally thing. My question was answered within the first 3 replies. You're late to the party and have no information to add other than pointing out that it is the most common question from noobs. Gee, try to think back to when you were a noob. Can you reach back that far buddy and think about all the questions you had in your infancy.??

Take a suck pill and don't chew it genius.
You are right to ask the question. Despite the designer's intent and popular opinion, there is no "one size/style fits all" in this equation. When it comes to your comfort -- and confidence -- only you can make the final decision as to what's feels right to you.

Its the same debate with swimsuits. Most say it already comes with a liner. But who can design one liner to fit every possible anatomy? Even a strict organization like military boot camp gives you a choice between boxers and briefs.