Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Old 07-08-19, 12:36 PM
  #13426  
fraba
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 119

Bikes: 1973 Raleigh Super Course - c.1988 Colnago Master Piu - 2004 Devinci MoonRacer - 2014 Cervelo P3 - 2018 Open New Up

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
CCM Caprice 19??

Hello,

Just saved this bike from the dump. The chrome is a bit rusty but after several hours of TLC, this will be perfect for the small trips around the house instead of always taking the car.

If anyone can provide information about what year it could be (@T-Mar: ?) that would be nice.


Last edited by fraba; 07-08-19 at 03:34 PM.
fraba is offline  
Old 07-09-19, 08:12 PM
  #13427  
brandenjs
WV is not flat..
 
brandenjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Charles Town,Wv.
Posts: 1,127

Bikes: 1 away from divorce!

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
[QUOTE=HPL;21004884]Actual Saturn team bike. I don't know if the frame design was unique to the pro team or also produced for retail sales. I'd assume the sizing is custom made for the rider (in this case Brian Walton). Frame 1/2 covered in grease (it was dirtier), loose bag of dirty sprockets, no rear wheel, and a horrendously horrible front wheel. Full Dura-Ace though, in all it's greasy glory.[/QUOTE
I worked for Saturn for 15 years and always loved those bikes. Love to see the completed project. Possibly going up for sale?...
brandenjs is online now  
Old 07-09-19, 08:18 PM
  #13428  
brandenjs
WV is not flat..
 
brandenjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Charles Town,Wv.
Posts: 1,127

Bikes: 1 away from divorce!

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
These are pretty much a dime a dozen and towards the bottom of Raleigh’s line, but it has some charm and the price was right. I’m dating this as a 73 Record, but all of the catalogs are showing center pull brakes. This one has side pulls. Any feedback on a year?
brandenjs is online now  
Old 07-10-19, 08:18 PM
  #13429  
fraba
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 119

Bikes: 1973 Raleigh Super Course - c.1988 Colnago Master Piu - 2004 Devinci MoonRacer - 2014 Cervelo P3 - 2018 Open New Up

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Based on the style of the word "Raleigh", I would date it earlier that 1973. Also, I never saw this type of saddle with racing handlebar. You should try to look here: The Headbadge: A Vintage Bicycle Resource
Enjoy!
fraba is offline  
Old 07-11-19, 02:48 AM
  #13430  
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.
 
thumpism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 4,681

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Bridgestone RB-T, Trek 510 city build, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by fraba View Post
Also, I never saw this type of saddle with racing handlebar.
You needed to be working in bike shops in the '70s and '80s. You'd have had your fill of that setup.
thumpism is offline  
Old 07-11-19, 03:44 PM
  #13431  
Miele Man
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,057

Bikes: Miele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno SL, Miele MTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 27 Posts
Literally saved from the dump

Hi there.

I posted these images a few years ago and asked what make of bicycle this is. Someone told me the make and that it was made in Manitoba, Canada. I've tried searching but can not find either the post or the thread it was in. This bicycle was literally saved from a trip to the dump or to the scrap metal dealer.

So, can someone identify the make of this bicycle?

Thanks and cheers




Miele Man is offline  
Old 07-11-19, 06:51 PM
  #13432  
Narhay
Senior Member
 
Narhay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 2,800
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man View Post
Hi there.

I posted these images a few years ago and asked what make of bicycle this is. Someone told me the make and that it was made in Manitoba, Canada. I've tried searching but can not find either the post or the thread it was in. This bicycle was literally saved from a trip to the dump or to the scrap metal dealer.

So, can someone identify the make of this bicycle?

Thanks and cheers




Looks like a Sekine headbadge.
Narhay is offline  
Old 07-11-19, 07:05 PM
  #13433  
NatusEstInSuht
Junior Member
 
NatusEstInSuht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 23

Bikes: 1979 Carlton Professional (frame only), 2005 Trek 5000, 2011 Niner EMD, 2018 Argon 18 XRoad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It is indeed a Sekine. And it would have been made in Manitoba. Sekine was fairly common in Canada in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

Sekine Bicycle History

CANADIAN SEKINE BICYCLES DATABASE

Originally Posted by Narhay View Post
Looks like a Sekine headbadge.
Originally Posted by Miele Man View Post
Hi there.

I posted these images a few years ago and asked what make of bicycle this is. Someone told me the make and that it was made in Manitoba, Canada. I've tried searching but can not find either the post or the thread it was in. This bicycle was literally saved from a trip to the dump or to the scrap metal dealer.

So, can someone identify the make of this bicycle?

Thanks and cheers

NatusEstInSuht is offline  
Old 07-11-19, 07:13 PM
  #13434  
Miele Man
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,057

Bikes: Miele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno SL, Miele MTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by NatusEstInSuht View Post
It is indeed a Sekine. And it would have been made in Manitoba. Sekine was fairly common in Canada in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

Sekine Bicycle History

CANADIAN SEKINE BICYCLES DATABASE
Thanks, that's a big help.

Cheers
Miele Man is offline  
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 07-13-19, 11:25 PM
  #13435  
HPL
HPL
 
HPL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: NORTH FLORIDA, NEW ENGLAND/MASS.
Posts: 248

Bikes: Presently riding: '98 FONDRIEST X STATUS, '85/'86 BATAVUS Criterium; '70 RALEIGH Sports, '86 Colnago Nuovo Mexico; others waiting their turn

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by jdawginsc View Post
I have absolutely no luck at the dumps, or the thrift stores. Must be the area. Mostly Walmart trash.
Don't forget Craigslist, just search "free", or go to bikes for sale and put in sorting for prices. Believe me, something usually shows up every month or so, albeit not always the right size, often something to strip parts from. Also, check out pawn shops, quite often there's a gem they just want to clear out. Unfortunately, pawn and thrift shops are frequently checking online to see what they've got and what it's selling for, often using the wrong info to base their price on. That didn't happen much 20 years ago, but now it's common practice. I know a thrift shop owner who pretty much checks all his items online, and then only sells the "good" stuff online or has it in the shop at "non-thrift" prices. I don't expect to go into a real thrift store seeing prices over $20 for pretty much anything, but nowadays there are "thrift" shops selling higher priced "antiques and collectables" right along with the junk; these places usually have much higher prices, but no necessarily better "junk". My bike shops (the used bike types, not ones selling new bikes) that I frequently visit often have something to checkout in the "junk" bin/rack, not always dirt cheap, but still usually a very good buy. I learned how to haggle a little for a bargain and also trying to act ignorant (not too hard for me) when finding the diamond in the rough. Having just scored some early 70's 3ttt stems and bars for $15, that are selling on ebay for $75-$100 or more makes it easier to spend a little more for that other missing part that is on ebay at a premium price. Another place to look is in the classified ads, used stuff, yard sale, and estate sale listings. Some killer bikes at estate sales that sellers are just trying to move. Also, local auctions, many having online bidding as well as live. I saw an Atala full Campy Nuovo Record late 60's-early 70's sell for $70; same bike on ebay selling for $300-500. Good luck hunting!
HPL is offline  
Old 07-13-19, 11:30 PM
  #13436  
game_player_s
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 103

Bikes: Raliegh Technium 400, Schwinn Le Tour II, Giant Excursion, NEXT Avalon 22636

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Three bikes followed me home last week. Might keep the first one as I have never had a mountain bike and seems a good fit, it's either a 1994 or 1995 Giant Sedona ATX. Actually in pretty nice shape save for the gooey rubber hand grips. Seatpost is as low as it goes in the picture.


And the next two both followed me home yesterday (Saturday) morning.
First we have the mystery pity Mixte bike, because I feel pity for it... let's see if anyone can figure out why (more than one reason really).







Did BMX ever make anything that had larger than 20" wheels with multiple speeds? Bike was very obviously yellow originally before getting a rather lousy blue spraycan paint job. It's a 5-Speed with Simplex branded shifter & derailleur. I'm doubting the BMX brand tag is original to the bike as there's no blue paint on it, haha!
Checked over the bike elsewise and can't even find a serial number. Person I bought it from said it was purchased used and they then used it to commute around on the local college campus. It's had the rear brake and gear shift cables replaced, the brake pads replaced, and the tires replaced within the last ten years... but, uh, yeah, it needs serious attention.
game_player_s is offline  
Old 07-14-19, 02:41 AM
  #13437  
HPL
HPL
 
HPL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: NORTH FLORIDA, NEW ENGLAND/MASS.
Posts: 248

Bikes: Presently riding: '98 FONDRIEST X STATUS, '85/'86 BATAVUS Criterium; '70 RALEIGH Sports, '86 Colnago Nuovo Mexico; others waiting their turn

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Italian "Splash" Paint Job

Found a lonely Basso/Columbus fork, disguised with some "fancy" paint work. Hate to think of what might have happened to the frame! I have a Gios compact Pro that needs it cut-down to size, now at 19cm. Anybody have a Gios fork with at least a 18cm steerer? I'd prefer to keep it correct to the maker. Would use this fork elsewhere if I can find a Gios fork.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20190714_032510.jpg (1.05 MB, 908 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_20190714_032256.jpg (751.4 KB, 900 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_20190714_031904.jpg (876.8 KB, 903 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_20190714_032102.jpg (649.9 KB, 909 views)

Last edited by HPL; 07-14-19 at 03:03 AM.
HPL is offline  
Old 07-14-19, 04:54 AM
  #13438  
jdawginsc 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Goose Creek, SC
Posts: 175

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, ?Rossin Performance EL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by HPL View Post
Found a lonely Basso/Columbus fork, disguised with some "fancy" paint work. Hate to think of what might have happened to the frame! I have a Gios compact Pro that needs it cut-down to size, now at 19cm. Anybody have a Gios fork with at least a 18cm steerer? I'd prefer to keep it correct to the maker. Would use this fork elsewhere if I can find a Gios fork.
I had been watching that one on ebay, and had the same questions. Poor Basso frame in heaven?
jdawginsc is online now  
Old 07-14-19, 08:00 AM
  #13439  
Mr. 66
Senior Member
 
Mr. 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 868
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts

I picked up some fresh TA Specialties pista pedals that I'm going to put on my Gitane.
Mr. 66 is offline  
Old 07-14-19, 09:20 AM
  #13440  
curbtender
Senior Member
 
curbtender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, East bay
Posts: 5,525

Bikes: Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Schwinn Speedster, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, MB3

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66 View Post

I picked up some fresh TA Specialties pista pedals that I'm going to put on my Gitane.
Pretty, are those magic beans next to the bottom bracket?
curbtender is offline  
Old 07-14-19, 01:19 PM
  #13441  
game_player_s
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 103

Bikes: Raliegh Technium 400, Schwinn Le Tour II, Giant Excursion, NEXT Avalon 22636

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Oh, yeah, third bike... was dead tired last night and failed to post it after getting the other two typed up. Believe it is a 1976 Schwinn Varsity as the color appears to be "Chestnut", which isn't listed as a offered color for the following years, and it has a huge frame size. Frame seems to be okay, but there's a considerable amount of rust at the bottom of the front fork where the wheel attaches. This one was rather evidently sitting in the previous owner's garage for a considerable number of years. Tires and inner tubes are shot. Got to really inspect this one as it's been double whammied for salt exposure with a Ohio state origin followed up with the island bike license tag on the head tube meaning it was unquestionably exposed to salt water and salt air as well.Funny thing is this bike frame is definitely to big for me, but the guy I bought it from was maybe within a inch of my own height, so am rather curious as to how this rides, maybe it gives that crazy high view effect that one gets from riding in a truck or van?







game_player_s is offline  
Old 07-14-19, 01:29 PM
  #13442  
merziac
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 4,295

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton, Bornstein, Paisley, Paramounts, 3rensho, Moto TC, Raleigh Pro's, Marinoni, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC and more

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1201 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender View Post
Pretty, are those magic beans next to the bottom bracket?
They are now.
merziac is offline  
Old 07-15-19, 01:33 AM
  #13443  
HPL
HPL
 
HPL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: NORTH FLORIDA, NEW ENGLAND/MASS.
Posts: 248

Bikes: Presently riding: '98 FONDRIEST X STATUS, '85/'86 BATAVUS Criterium; '70 RALEIGH Sports, '86 Colnago Nuovo Mexico; others waiting their turn

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Basso Fork

Originally Posted by jdawginsc View Post
I had been watching that one on ebay, and had the same questions. Poor Basso frame in heaven?
Yeah, got a good deal in the end with a few other parts throw in; it's actually in very good shape; we'll see what's underneath the paint this week.
HPL is offline  
Old 07-15-19, 06:54 AM
  #13444  
Mr. 66
Senior Member
 
Mr. 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 868
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender View Post
Pretty, are those magic beans next to the bottom bracket?
Beans! Beans! The magical fruit, the more you eat...
Mr. 66 is offline  
Old 07-15-19, 10:27 AM
  #13445  
HPL
HPL
 
HPL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: NORTH FLORIDA, NEW ENGLAND/MASS.
Posts: 248

Bikes: Presently riding: '98 FONDRIEST X STATUS, '85/'86 BATAVUS Criterium; '70 RALEIGH Sports, '86 Colnago Nuovo Mexico; others waiting their turn

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Scwhinn Varsity

Originally Posted by game_player_s View Post
Oh, yeah, third bike... was dead tired last night and failed to post it after getting the other two typed up. Believe it is a 1976 Schwinn Varsity as the color appears to be "Chestnut", which isn't listed as a offered color for the following years, and it has a huge frame size.
I picked up one a couple years back all original ('ceptin' tubes/tires) and no rust;1975 per the serial number. Looks identical to yours, my paint appears a bit brighter like semi-tarnished copper; but could just be age/weathering of your paint, same bar wrap. My frame is also huge; I don't ride it (62 cm, I'm 5'7"), just bought to fix and give away to a friend or sell. I did ride it without the saddle and post (only way I could) when fixing, and had a blast on it; once you get that heavy steel moving it'll keep going. I like the old Scwhinns; easy to modify, just finished a World Tourist for my friend's 60th birthday. He loves the thing and is now tooling around all over the place, and I'd been trying to get him on the road for the past 25 years; now he calls to tell me he's beating my daily mileage (retirement must be fun, I wouldn't know)!

Last edited by HPL; 07-16-19 at 12:10 AM.
HPL is offline  
Old 07-15-19, 10:53 AM
  #13446  
fleslider
Senior Member
 
fleslider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 1,287

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Saved this guy the other day. They don't seem like they get much love, a 1984 Trek 890.

It has mismatched cranks and some broken spokes on the back wheel . Cables are trashed as well as the chain. this is how i got it, hadnt even taken off the accessories brackets!


fleslider is offline  
Old 07-15-19, 02:15 PM
  #13447  
Digger Goreman
Senior Member
 
Digger Goreman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Decatur, GA (Metro Atlanta, East)
Posts: 200

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "Frankentrek"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
The Frankentrek!



FRANKENTREK rolls on!
​​​​​​​Started as $30 Goodwill purchase in 2013. "Frankentrek" has been my teacher, torturer and friend ever since. Matching my attitude of recycle, repurpose, reuse, little on the bike is bought new. Most parts and items are gleaned from ebay and craigslist.

Last edited by Digger Goreman; 07-15-19 at 02:28 PM. Reason: add comments and pic
Digger Goreman is offline  
Old 07-15-19, 06:26 PM
  #13448  
Gashepherd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
"thrift" stores

Originally Posted by HPL View Post
Don't forget Craigslist, just search "free", or go to bikes for sale and put in sorting for prices. Believe me, something usually shows up every month or so, albeit not always the right size, often something to strip parts from. Also, check out pawn shops, quite often there's a gem they just want to clear out. Unfortunately, pawn and thrift shops are frequently checking online to see what they've got and what it's selling for, often using the wrong info to base their price on. That didn't happen much 20 years ago, but now it's common practice. I know a thrift shop owner who pretty much checks all his items online, and then only sells the "good" stuff online or has it in the shop at "non-thrift" prices. I don't expect to go into a real thrift store seeing prices over $20 for pretty much anything, but nowadays there are "thrift" shops selling higher priced "antiques and collectables" right along with the junk; these places usually have much higher prices, but no necessarily better "junk". My bike shops (the used bike types, not ones selling new bikes) that I frequently visit often have something to checkout in the "junk" bin/rack, not always dirt cheap, but still usually a very good buy. I learned how to haggle a little for a bargain and also trying to act ignorant (not too hard for me) when finding the diamond in the rough. Having just scored some early 70's 3ttt stems and bars for $15, that are selling on ebay for $75-$100 or more makes it easier to spend a little more for that other missing part that is on ebay at a premium price. Another place to look is in the classified ads, used stuff, yard sale, and estate sale listings. Some killer bikes at estate sales that sellers are just trying to move. Also, local auctions, many having online bidding as well as live. I saw an Atala full Campy Nuovo Record late 60's-early 70's sell for $70; same bike on ebay selling for $300-500. Good luck hunting!
This is the direction that my local "thrift " store is heading they have this one marked at $150, with a shimano 3 speed hub. They bring them out at ridiculous prices and they sit until they hual them out to recycling, not sure what is going on with that.
Gashepherd is offline  
Old 07-15-19, 07:05 PM
  #13449  
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.
 
thumpism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 4,681

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Bridgestone RB-T, Trek 510 city build, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by game_player_s View Post


And the next two both followed me home yesterday (Saturday) morning.
First we have the mystery pity Mixte bike, because I feel pity for it... let's see if anyone can figure out why (more than one reason really).


Did BMX ever make anything that had larger than 20" wheels with multiple speeds? Bike was very obviously yellow originally before getting a rather lousy blue spraycan paint job. It's a 5-Speed with Simplex branded shifter & derailleur. I'm doubting the BMX brand tag is original to the bike as there's no blue paint on it, haha!
Checked over the bike elsewise and can't even find a serial number. Person I bought it from said it was purchased used and they then used it to commute around on the local college campus. It's had the rear brake and gear shift cables replaced, the brake pads replaced, and the tires replaced within the last ten years... but, uh, yeah, it needs serious attention.
Yes, 24" wheels but still single speed. Schwinn Predator 24, for example. Neat bike if you can find one. Your BMX sticker was probably a fifty cent accessory stuck to the head tube.

I guess Chiorda as the brand of that mixte.
thumpism is offline  
Old 07-16-19, 01:02 AM
  #13450  
HPL
HPL
 
HPL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: NORTH FLORIDA, NEW ENGLAND/MASS.
Posts: 248

Bikes: Presently riding: '98 FONDRIEST X STATUS, '85/'86 BATAVUS Criterium; '70 RALEIGH Sports, '86 Colnago Nuovo Mexico; others waiting their turn

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Thrifty?

Originally Posted by Gashepherd View Post
This is the direction that my local "thrift " store is heading they have this one marked at $150, with a shimano 3 speed hub. They bring them out at ridiculous prices and they sit until they hual them out to recycling, not sure what is going on with that.
At least they've got a couple. I went to work out of town one time without my ride and after having just had knee surgery (needed physical therapy); stopped in a thrift store to see if I could find something to roll on, but nothing. Found another place that had 2 cheap step-through "mtb" bikes that essentially were un-rideable, but grabbed one for $15 and rebuilt; gave it back to the thrift store when I left 2 months later (I told them I'd give back when I bought it; they thought I was a little wacked out; and I am!), so someone ended up with a decent riding bike, and I told the thrift store that it was now worth $20 when they resell it. My brother just picked up a decent Trek from a thrift shop for $30, but you need to always be checking these places. I live near a couple colleges so always a fairly decent amount to choose from, although many aren't much to write home about. That "PAN WORLD" bike looks in pretty good shape for what it is. I've also got a "repurposed" materials/goods business in town and have picked up a Royal Scot for $40; trying to get their Robin Hood for the past year and a half, but they won't budge on the price ($100), and it's getting in worse shape every day so I drop my offer $5 every 3-4 months; much longer and I'll only be offering $5 for the hunk of rust that remains. Everybody thinks it's collectible if seen on ebay for hundreds of dollars, but they neglect to see what condition these bikes are in compared to their own. That is now the biggest problem with second hand bikes being sold at businesses and on Craigslist; everyone has that "rare" bike that's "selling" (or trying to sell) for over $1000; apparently your Pinarello Dogma on ebay makes the value of my Pinarello "sport frame" worth a couple grand just because of the name nowadays; NOT!

Last edited by HPL; 07-16-19 at 01:16 AM.
HPL is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.