Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Decals for an older frame

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 07-09-19, 05:57 PM
carbohydrates

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I can't send PM's yet, but paging @JRrestore - can someone send them a link to this thread please

I need some decals for an early Raleigh Technium, in that great 80's purple and teal. There don't seem to be any online.

If JRrestore is no longer doing decals, does anyone know of any other resources?

Thanks
Old 07-09-19, 06:19 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
Decals

www.velocals.com. I just looked at their web-site and they do have Raleigh decals. They have a lot of different ones, so I do not know it they have what you are looking for, but probably. I purchased decals from them a couple of months ago for decals for an Ochsner steel I rebuilt. They the exact original ones I was looking for.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 07-09-19, 08:28 PM
carbohydrates

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by delbiker1
www.velocals.com...I do not know it they have what you are looking for, but probably. I purchased decals from them a couple of months ago for decals for an Ochsner steel I rebuilt. They the exact original ones I was looking for.
Very cool, thanks for the link. They don't have these Raleigh decals made up yet, but it does look like they take requests...
Old 07-09-19, 09:14 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
H Lloyd, in England, has most old Raleigh decals going back to the 30's. I'd look at what they have.
Old 07-09-19, 09:29 PM
carbohydrates

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's a 'newer' old Raleigh, Raleigh USA "Technium"

The decals are pretty different from normal Raleigh decals, I think this one might have to be a custom job...not a hint of it on either of those websites.

Last edited by carbohydrates; 07-10-19 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Verbosity
Old 07-10-19, 07:29 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Search Ebay a lot, you might luck out.

If you can get good photos (online maybe?), a local sign / decal shop can probably make you good ones. I have an old 80s Sannino frame that needed new decals. Velocals had some but they were nothing like the original. So I just grabbed a couple of photos of the frame from online searches, estimated the dimensions, etc. and the local sign shop made what I think are excellent facsimiles. There was a little give and take in the design, but they were happy to work with me and it ended up being less than $50 for two sets. I later found a (very rare) OEM set on ebay and they are virtually identical to what the sign shop made for me. I haven't bothered putting the OEM ones on because of that.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 07-10-19, 07:34 PM
carbohydrates

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good call, I'll try to set up a Google alert or something

The decals on the frame are intact enough to recreate...I'm thinking I may try to get paint to match the teal and purple and tidy up the rusty steel bits with it, turn a bug into a feature. It can be my beat-up 80s bike.

Otherwise, beadblasting, fresh paint, and new decals it is. I'll get the decals made first of course, they can take measurements and colors right off the frame.

Last edited by carbohydrates; 07-10-19 at 11:07 PM.
Likes For carbohydrates: