Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

New Bike Day

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

New Bike Day

Old 07-09-19, 10:17 PM
lichtgrau

Bikes: (Ti) Rabbit "soulmate" plus half a dozen "half bikes"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by OneIsAllYouNeed
It looks like the fork uses the typical arrangement for Jones' (and many other makes) truss forks . The steerer is a separate piece from the remainder of the fork. There are split clamps on the fork crown and above the headset. To remove fork: loosen both sets of split clamps; slide steerer out the top; pull fork forward.

Got it. Finally. Thanks a lot.
@PedalingWalrus: Your fork is titanium too, isn't it?

reference source of picture: Alibaba Group
​​​​​

Last edited by lichtgrau; 07-09-19 at 10:26 PM.
Old 07-10-19, 03:19 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
Yes it is 🙂
Old 07-10-19, 01:41 PM
act0fgod

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Pro, Bilenky Coupled Tandem, Calfee Tetra Tandem

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by OneIsAllYouNeed
It looks like the fork uses the typical arrangement for Jones' (and many other makes) truss forks . The steerer is a separate piece from the remainder of the fork. There are split clamps on the fork crown and above the headset. To remove fork: loosen both sets of split clamps; slide steerer out the top; pull fork forward.
Thank you. First time I've seen a truss fork. It looks really cool and some interesting engineering principles behind them.
Old 07-11-19, 07:47 AM
lichtgrau

Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
Yes it is 🙂

Here (Germany) we have a rule of thumb, that a bicycle lock should cost about one tenth of the price of the bike…

…I just think about what kind of lock I would get for more than thousand bucks
Old 07-11-19, 11:24 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

It was a choice ... either I spec out a tandem from Co-Motion or I get a custom titanium tandem if I put in some footwork, effort and patience -) ... it took almost a year from specing it out , getting the frame, sending it to be custom painted and then finally completing the build. I think I paid less than for a Co-Motion but I'm afraid to really count it haha
Old 07-11-19, 11:48 AM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by lichtgrau
Here (Germany) we have a rule of thumb, that a bicycle lock should cost about one tenth of the price of the bike…

…I just think about what kind of lock I would get for more than thousand bucks
Perhaps a fully trained Weimaraner?
Old 07-11-19, 11:51 AM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

A thing of true beauty!

Congrats on the new custom tandem and nice build! Such a sweet ride!

But I'm curious why you didn't go with Gates timing and main. Seems like it would be such a tidy setup. There's always upgrades!

Regardless, enjoy yourselves.

PS Where are you heading on your trip?
Old 07-11-19, 12:11 PM
PedalingWalrus

I felt anxiety with flat tires and gates belt and nailing the belt tension after reattachment of the rear wheel. Also, I used to have a belt drive a long time ago and I always felt this 'stretch' during pedal strokes. I'm sure it was nonsense but I just like the feel of a chain engagement during a pedal stroke. Plus I feel a real ease changing and maintaining a chain.

Flying to Barcelona and biking to Genoa. :-)
Old 07-11-19, 03:23 PM
lichtgrau

Originally Posted by LV2TNDM
Perhaps a fully trained Weimaraner?
For a thousand they look like this and they're definitely untrained...

reference source of picture: Amazon, authentic CARD

@PedalingWalrus: Have a save trip to Europe. Hope everything (packing, unpacking, riding) works just fine.
Likes For lichtgrau:
Old 07-12-19, 01:20 PM
LV2TNDM

I felt anxiety with flat tires and gates belt and nailing the belt tension after reattachment of the rear wheel. Also, I used to have a belt drive a long time ago and I always felt this 'stretch' during pedal strokes. I'm sure it was nonsense but I just like the feel of a chain engagement during a pedal stroke. Plus I feel a real ease changing and maintaining a chain.

Flying to Barcelona and biking to Genoa. :-)
I can understand not wanting to deal with tension issues. However, having a packable tandem with cases, it seems like avoiding the chain and associated mess would be a pretty big bonus. I, too, am a chain-care fanatic but I'd appreciate the lack of same when dealing with packing my tandem for travel. But ultimately, it's something you can switch to any time in the future.

Awesome! My daughter just returned from a Europe trip that included Genoa. Let's hope the heat wave is well over by the time you arrive and ride. Can we assume you'll post some great pics? Have a great and safe tour.
Old 07-12-19, 02:07 PM
PedalingWalrus

So Yesterday evening I 'reconstituted' the tandem and this morning in the driveway I honed the final details to feel OK about riding it. We hopped on it with the panniers and rode 16 miles to town to do some grocery shopping and then back. There were 2 details I need to make sure I don't mess up at the airport - the cable routing could use better work and more importantly the front and rear pedal cranks were not synchronized. My wife noticed it first and then I thought I felt it during the ride, especially on uphills.

More importantly is the order of execution like for example... attach rear fender first and then mount the rear wheel etc etc...

Tomorrow or Sunday I will pack the tandem for real and then we head to the airport midweek. Cheers.

A couple of observations:
When heavy loaded I feel the rear 'noodling'
The front panniers are a little bit higher than I would mount them but it was not noticeable during the ride.

Last edited by PedalingWalrus; 07-12-19 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-13-19, 05:45 AM
mikebian 

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Tandem, Ventana ECdM Tandem, Kent Eriksen Custom Coupled Tandem, Meridian Coupled Triplet, Canondale MTB Tandem, Landshark Tandem, Giant TCR, SantaCruz Blur LTb

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
I find that if I’m not careful to put all the heavy stuff as low as possible, I feel a bit of noodling also. Your paneirs are sitting kind of high. The bottom of mine are below the axle as my rack has a second lower bar to mount them on. It’s a Tubus titanium rack. Forgot the model.
Old 07-13-19, 09:04 AM
PedalingWalrus

Per request...a photo of packed bike

Old 07-13-19, 09:05 AM
PedalingWalrus

Knocking worries out of the park one at a time. One worry is I may be over the weight limit

(Do not know what the weight limit is)

addendum...googled it... weight limit is either 32 kg or 25 kg depending on how it is classified.

From Norwegian:
Checked baggage can be altered up until 6 hours before flight departure. Each bag must not exceed 32kg or be lighter than 2kg in weight. Each bag must not exceed 250 x 79 x 112 cm (L x H x W) with a maximum circumference of 300cm. Your total amount of checked bags cannot exceed 64kg.

Last edited by PedalingWalrus; 07-13-19 at 09:20 AM.
Old 07-13-19, 02:10 PM
LV2TNDM

Per request...a photo of packed bike

Thanks for the pics. Such a nice setup!

You may want to stop by the LBS and pick up some tubular cardboard packing. I see your brake lever DANGEROUSLY close to the top tube in the above shot. I'd cover ALL the tubes with packaging to preserve that beautiful paint. BTW, did you wax it? Might want to wait for the paint to be fully cured, but wax is a good idea. Anyway, you'll have all sorts of "settling" happen during transit and anything near your frame tubes are a major scratch (and possible dent) hazard. This will add weight to your bike box, but well worth it. If you really wanted to protect those tubes, you might first put cardboard on the tubes, then cover with styrofoam tube/pipe insulation (from the hardware store). Added expense, but little additional weight. But don't just use the foam padding as sharp objects can quickly vibrate through it and hit the frame.

My $0.02