Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Build and quick review of my Pivot Vault

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 08-11-19, 07:04 PM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 49 Posts

I got a Pivot Vault a couple days ago and made a video of the build process. So far my impressions are this bike is awesome!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn5t...ature=youtu.be
Old 08-12-19, 07:22 AM
PickleRick

Bikes: Felt Z4, Trek Remedy 9.8, Pivot 429SL Di2, Salsa Warbird Di2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
Sweet!!... You should have a lot of fun on that rig.
Curious, what other grave bikes were on your shortlist before you decided on the Vault?
Old 08-12-19, 07:55 AM
sweetspot

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Le Mechanic
I got a Pivot Vault a couple days ago and made a video of the build process. So far my impressions are this bike is awesome!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn5t...ature=youtu.be
I have read many good things about isoflex but none about how much compliance offers front. Can you tell us your subjective opinion about the front comfort?
Old 08-12-19, 11:44 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
what roads are you on in the video? We're neighbors (in a relative sense) --
Old 08-12-19, 04:05 PM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Originally Posted by PickleRick
Sweet!!... You should have a lot of fun on that rig.
Curious, what other grave bikes were on your shortlist before you decided on the Vault?
I basically had to get a bike that our shop sells, as it's a demo bike that I get to ride for a year, then we sell it. Our shop sells Trek, Yeti, and Pivot. Originally I was going to get a Checkpoint, but there are no models with carbon wheels or top tier component packages. I also thought about a Domane, but I wanted something that would accept a bigger tire. The Pivot Vault only has a couple of build kits that I know of, but I really dug the Sram Force AXS group and the Reynolds ATR wheels, so that's what I went with. I just took it on a big ride today. So far, I really like it!
Old 08-12-19, 04:15 PM
Le Mechanic

Originally Posted by sweetspot
I have read many good things about isoflex but none about how much compliance offers front. Can you tell us your subjective opinion about the front comfort?
It felt good. I did an almost 5-hour ride today on it mostly gravel and dirt roads with a decent amount of semi-rough single track and compared to my home-built Chromoly bike with a carbon fork, it felt like it absorbed much more vibration than what I was used to. I felt better in the shoulder/neck area than when I do a 5-hour road ride.
Old 08-12-19, 04:21 PM
Le Mechanic

Originally Posted by superdex
what roads are you on in the video? We're neighbors (in a relative sense) --
That's the Highline canal trail and some of the single track side trails. I rode it some more today plus the East/West trail and some of the gravel stuff at the Cherry Creek state park.
Old 08-13-19, 08:57 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
all in the heart of town -- you did a good job of making it look inviting!
Likes For superdex:
Old 08-13-19, 12:07 PM
PickleRick

Bikes: Felt Z4, Trek Remedy 9.8, Pivot 429SL Di2, Salsa Warbird Di2

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
I basically had to get a bike that our shop sells, as it's a demo bike that I get to ride for a year, then we sell it.....
Ahhhh, OK , the old story of "I'm forced to ride the really cool bike that my employer imposes on me." Well sir, I would not stand for that, in fact, I would sit right down on that excellent bike and ride the bejeezus out of it.
Enjoy!
Likes For PickleRick:
Old 08-17-19, 03:58 PM
sweetspot

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
It felt good. I did an almost 5-hour ride today on it mostly gravel and dirt roads with a decent amount of semi-rough single track and compared to my home-built Chromoly bike with a carbon fork, it felt like it absorbed much more vibration than what I was used to. I felt better in the shoulder/neck area than when I do a 5-hour road ride.
great to hear! I have one additional question regarding tire clearance. Do you think that Vault will take 700x50c tire both front and rear? On their official site Pivot is saying that this bike takes up to 700x47c so it should be doable?
Old 08-18-19, 07:01 AM
Le Mechanic

Originally Posted by sweetspot
great to hear! I have one additional question regarding tire clearance. Do you think that Vault will take 700x50c tire both front and rear? On their official site Pivot is saying that this bike takes up to 700x47c so it should be doable?
Possibly. I guess it depends on the tire manufacturer, because they vary a little bit in actual measured size, but I have the stock 40mm tires on the bike now and there is plenty of room around the tires. Probably something like 8-10mm at the closest points.
Old 08-22-19, 02:04 AM
b0rderline

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Possibly. I guess it depends on the tire manufacturer, because they vary a little bit in actual measured size, but I have the stock 40mm tires on the bike now and there is plenty of room around the tires. Probably something like 8-10mm at the closest points.
Cool! I am also interested in Vault frame. Can you measure for me the distance between chainstays in the widest point near the bottom bracket and also in the point between fork legs close to the headtube? I need a very specific data to properly evaluate this bike tire clearance.
Thank you!
Old 08-24-19, 07:06 AM
Le Mechanic

Originally Posted by b0rderline
Cool! I am also interested in Vault frame. Can you measure for me the distance between chainstays in the widest point near the bottom bracket and also in the point between fork legs close to the headtube? I need a very specific data to properly evaluate this bike tire clearance.
Thank you!
I'm getting about the same measurement on the fork and chainstays where the diameter of the tire passes through (700c wheel). It's also the widest point. 61.6mm is what I'm getting on my digital calipers.
Old 08-24-19, 12:55 PM
b0rderline

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm getting about the same measurement on the fork and chainstays where the diameter of the tire passes through (700c wheel). It's also the widest point. 61.6mm is what I'm getting on my digital calipers.
Thank you very much! It looks like 47c is a resonable choice with that frame but 50c could be like one size too far