Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Groin injury from a bike fall. 3 Questions.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-12-19, 04:39 AM
nw05250

Bikes: Surly ''Disc Trucker'' , TREK Madone, SCOTT CR something, TREK 6Series MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Having ridden over 11,000 km across Europe over the last two years without so much as a scratch I finally came off my bike last Friday. (72 hours ago) Sharp right hand hairpin turn and the front wheel (slightly wet from a puddle I had ridden through 30 meters beforehand) went out from under me. I fell to my right. Bruised my right thigh and right arm with accompanying bitumen rash but nothing broken it seems. However, the saddle jammed into my right inner groin area. Right where the thigh meets the hip. Deep groin area. Hurts to all hell. Have been icing it and now wearing a compression bandage and will continue to ice it as well. Feels like I may have badly bruised the Pectineus muscle or something similar. Anyone suffered similar? How long the recovery? In addition to ice and compression and elevation any other suggestions?
Old 08-12-19, 07:38 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
See a doctor.
Old 08-12-19, 01:24 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
^^This^^

Ouch. I've clunked onto the top tube more times than I care to recall, but nothing that hurt longer than just that day.

I'd take a few days or a week off the bike. Keep doing moderate stretching, massage, etc. Anti-inflammatories -- NSAIDs, if you can handle them. Bromelain from pineapple enzyme works for some folks without stomach upset, although it's generally more effective on respiratory inflammation, which works for me. No idea about muscle irritation. I take prescription diclofenac for muscle and joint inflammation.

How long to recover? Dunno, depends on too many variables. I'm still recovering from injuries over a year old. At 61 I don't bounce anymore. Ten years ago I probably would have been over it in a month.
Old 08-13-19, 05:29 AM
nw05250

Bikes: Surly ''Disc Trucker'' , TREK Madone, SCOTT CR something, TREK 6Series MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good advice. However I treat visiting a Doctor's surgery a bit like visiting the in-laws. Best avoided wherever possible and only under extreme duress.
Old 08-13-19, 05:32 AM
nw05250

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to respond. Its appreciated. Yup, well I am 54 and know all about the lack of bounce when you get over a certain age. Anti-inflammatories are what I am taking and regular icing. Slowly coming better and I have to keep reminding myself it's only been just over 72 hours since it happened. I will take a week off the bike ( have to fix the deraillieur first anyway) and see how we stand after 7 days. Excuse the pun. Cheers.
Old 08-13-19, 11:15 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by nw05250
Good advice. However I treat visiting a Doctor's surgery a bit like visiting the in-laws. Best avoided wherever possible and only under extreme duress.
One of many reasons women live longer.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 08-13-19, 12:23 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
1. Doctor

When I ate it last year I had this same kind of bruise/pain in that area. I gave it a day or two off the bike to lick my wounds (and put another few square feet of bandages on daily). Then, day 3 I painfully started dressing out to ride the trainer in a bolt-upright position at a low power for what I could stand. It loosened up. I did ice, self massage (lol), and tried to use the really low intensity spins to loosen things up. Week later, still changing bandages out but up to normal power and work on the trainer in upright position.

Good luck.
Old 08-13-19, 01:04 PM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
See a doctor.
You don't need a doctor and an x-ray and MRI and 2 months of physical therapy and whatever else he wants to charge you and your insurance for to know you have a contusion. Take your NSAIDs and do your gentle stretches and with time you'll be fine. Ice is good during the acute period, however after a few days change to heat to help with your motion.
Likes For Jicafold:
Old 08-14-19, 03:09 AM
nw05250

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like the idea of low power revolutions to free it up. Thanks for reading and responding. Appreciated.
Old 08-14-19, 03:10 AM
nw05250

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sound advice and which I have been doing. Like the idea of heat though as I have only been icing it after stretching. Thanks for taking the time to contribute.
Old 08-14-19, 07:09 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 483 Posts
Cowgirl for the next couple weeks.
Old 08-14-19, 11:07 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Well if it hasn't gotten worse after 72 hours, it might be nothing serious. But I'd still suggest seeing a doctor, because if it turns out to be compartment syndrome... ....let's just say you certainly wouldn't want that.
Old 08-14-19, 04:48 PM
Jicafold

Originally Posted by subgrade
Well if it hasn't gotten worse after 72 hours, it might be nothing serious. But I'd still suggest seeing a doctor, because if it turns out to be compartment syndrome... ....let's just say you certainly wouldn't want that.
If were to be compartment syndrome, it's too late to treat it. That ship has already sailed. Besides, I've never heard of compartment syndrome in the groin, but I suppose it could be possible.
Old 08-15-19, 06:33 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Jicafold
If were to be compartment syndrome, it's too late to treat it. That ship has already sailed. Besides, I've never heard of compartment syndrome in the groin, but I suppose it could be possible.
I'm no doctor, so you're probably right. I just remembered that fairly recent episode on GMBN youtube channel, where one of the presenters got that after a crash.
Old 08-15-19, 07:30 AM
Milton Keynes

You don't need a doctor and an x-ray and MRI and 2 months of physical therapy and whatever else he wants to charge you and your insurance for to know you have a contusion. Take your NSAIDs and do your gentle stretches and with time you'll be fine. Ice is good during the acute period, however after a few days change to heat to help with your motion.
Better to see an actual doctor with actual medical training than to post symptoms on an internet forum and hope someone has the right answer.
Old 08-15-19, 08:14 AM
Jicafold

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Better to see an actual doctor with actual medical training than to post symptoms on an internet forum and hope someone has the right answer.
I happen to be an orthopedic physician assistant, so this is in my lane. However, this is true...it's no substitute for a hands on examination. I hope you are doing somewhat better by now.
Old 08-15-19, 09:36 AM
Milton Keynes

I happen to be an orthopedic physician assistant, so this is in my lane. However, this is true...it's no substitute for a hands on examination. I hope you are doing somewhat better by now.
Then you'd know it's very hard to diagnose over the internet. Plus you never know what someone's qualifications are behind a username.