Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

🖨️ Got a new printer today: let the writing begin.

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

🖨️ Got a new printer today: let the writing begin.

Old 08-13-19, 11:09 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
Having grown up in the typewriter era, writing papers was the bane of my existence since I seek perfection, at least in the presentation, but I was a poor typist, and corrections were difficult and often messy.

In college I did learn essentials of writing though that I still remember today.
Since my job requires writing formal reports, with legal implications, I consider myself a “wordsmith,” and beside the exchange of information and ideas, I enjoy the mechanics of writing, such as grammar, composition , style, etc. for that addtional mental stimulation
...I use ellipses,"..." to eliminate as much as possible, and still leave the context of the quote comprehensible; and I [underline or] bold key words and phrases to emphasize the core content of the discussion.

Furthermore…While even if nobody reads my posts, I do try to communicate clearly to the reader. At least I try to evenly space, and keep my paragraphs short for easier readability, FWIW. .
Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
JFB follows his own set of writing standards and rules...
Originally Posted by Machka View Post
How long ago did you [@KraneXL] take the writing class?

I'm plodding toward my Master's degree. When I started in 2015, some instructors still wanted paper copies. By 2016, none did. I haven't printed and handed in anything in 3 years. Everything is completed online and submitted in Word or pdf format.

I type ... everything online. The only handwriting I do is in exams. Blech. I'd be much happier if I could type exams too….
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
it was all digital sharing/presenting in my 21st century post grad work and also now in my work. some of the good reasons for it are accessibility, cost and sustainability.

.…and for those who feel printed material carries more of a sense of gravitas than digital are just in an old way of thinking.
Be it typewritten, electronically printed, or online, in my 20th century mind, attention to the rules...grammar, compostion, typography...in other words style, implies gravitas.

And I think that all modes of display of the written word are based on the style established by typewritten or typeset documents. I enjoy word processing because it has freed me from the limitations of the typewriter, and expanded my capabilities.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-13-19 at 11:13 PM.
Old 08-14-19, 02:25 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 2929 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 81 Posts
... and I [underline or] bold key words and phrases to emphasize the core content of the discussion ...

Be it typewritten, electronically printed, or online, in my 20th century mind, attention to the rules...grammar, compostion, typography...in other words style, implies gravitas.

And I think that all modes of display of the written word are based on the style established by typewritten or typeset documents. I enjoy word processing because it has freed me from the limitations of the typewriter, and expanded my capabilities.

"Avoid underlining and italics as this can make the text appear to run together and cause crowding."

https://www.bdadyslexia.org.uk/advic...ly-style-guide

"When you are emphasising text, avoid capitals, italics and underlining words as this makes letters hard to read."

https://www.dyslexic.com/blog/quick-...nt-accessible/

Speaking as a mild dyslexic, I find underlined text very difficult to read, plus underlined text can also indicate a link. So when I see underlined text, I usually skip over it.

Like you probably did when you read this post.

Last edited by Machka; 08-14-19 at 02:29 AM.
Likes For Machka:
Old 08-14-19, 04:10 AM
Jim from Boston

...I use ellipses,"..." to eliminate as much as possible, and still leave the context of the quote comprehensible; and I [underline or] bold key words and phrases to emphasize the core content of the discussion.

Furthermore…While even if nobody reads my posts, I do try to communicate clearly to the reader. At least I try to evenly space, and keep my paragraphs short for easier readability, FWIW

"Avoid underlining and italics as this can make the text appear to run together and cause crowding."

"When you are emphasising text, avoid capitals, italics and underlining words as this makes letters hard to read."

Speaking as a mild dyslexic, I find underlined text very difficult to read, plus underlined text can also indicate a link. So when I see underlined text, I usually skip over it.

Hi Machka,

Thanks for that feedback. I note that the above links refer to dyslexic readers. As a "normolexic" reader/writer, in my mind I have a hierarchy of typography for emphasis, in increasing intensity:

Underline

Italics

Bold

CAPITALS

I find extensive use of capitals and bold to be more distracting to read, whereas underline and italics are more subtle but effective. Since quote boxes are in all italics, I use underline more frequently.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-14-19 at 04:36 AM.
Old 08-14-19, 05:30 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Hi Machka,

Thanks for that feedback. I note that the above links refer to dyslexic readers. As a "normolexic" reader/writer, in my mind I have a hierarchy of typography for emphasis, in increasing intensity:

Underline

Italics

Bold

CAPITALS

I find extensive use of capitals and bold to be more distracting to read, whereas underline and italics are more subtle but effective. Since quote boxes are in all italics, I use underline more frequently.
  • Capitals aren't good either. They can be hard to read too, and are considered shouting.
  • Bold should be used for emphasis, but not overused.
  • Just go with normal text. It's easier to read.

Some things that can help are dividing text into sections and using dot points.

Fortunately Bikeforums does offer us some of these capabilities such as the dot points above and the ability to use headings.

For example:

My Heading

-- using the H1 tag

My Heading

-- using the H2 tag

My Heading

-- using the H3 tag

My Heading

-- using the H4 tag

Last edited by Machka; 08-14-19 at 06:00 AM.
Old 08-14-19, 06:57 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 125 Posts
Costco offers a cartridge refill service:

https://costcoinkjetrefill.com/
Old 08-14-19, 09:09 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 73 Posts

I read it!

You've probably heard about the font Dyslexie that was designed to mitigate the reading confusion that dyslexia causes, but some say it's junk science. What's your experience?
Old 08-14-19, 02:06 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 3037 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 90 Posts
How long ago did you take the writing class?

I'm plodding toward my Master's degree. When I started in 2015, some instructors still wanted paper copies. By 2016, none did. I haven't printed and handed in anything in 3 years. Everything is completed online and submitted in Word or pdf format.

I type ... everything online. The only handwriting I do is in exams. Blech. I'd be much happier if I could type exams too.

I write instruction manuals and technical writing at work and have been doing so for years now ... wow ... like 22 years. I can hardly believe it has been so long!

I write articles for myself and occasional publication.

And I write papers for university.

Long, long ago I tried to write fiction but I don't seem to have the ability to create a gripping story. And then I discovered I do well with the dry boring stuff like instruction manuals.
It much less about time of completion and more about formal presentation procedures. Any education through an institution is going to teach you the most formal procedures vs on-the-job training or popular methods.

Still, since there are hundreds of organizations that accept scripts, I'm sure many of them may do so via electronic submission if that's their method. But Hollywood has its own conventions on how things are to be done, and you should be ready to provide it in all forms including that manner -- which is why its taught.

Believe me, I wouldn't go through all the trouble and expense if I could just submit everything online. That's just the method of submission in that industry, and it supersedes technology.

In fact, it gets a lot more complicated than just requiring printed sheets but I won't bore anyone with all those details. If someone's interested in leanring more about screenwriting and submission types, they can google it (or take the class like I did).
Old 08-14-19, 06:14 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
I read it!

You've probably heard about the font Dyslexie that was designed to mitigate the reading confusion that dyslexia causes, but some say it's junk science. What's your experience?
I actually find the Dyslexie font more difficult to read. I like fonts like Tahoma and strongly dislike fonts like Times New Roman.
Old 08-15-19, 03:34 AM
Jim from Boston

Thanks for reading my post, and it’s good to know that quoting a subscriber elicits a response.

By nesting quote boxes, I indicate to the quoted subscriber(s) that I have read the post(s), reflected on the content, and extracted meaningful point(s), that I worked into a [contrived] quote chain.
...I use ellipses,"..." to eliminate as much as possible, and still leave the context of the quote comprehensible; and I [underline or] bold key words and phrases to emphasize the core content of the discussion….

Hi Machka,

Underline

Italics

Bold

CAPITALS

Last night as I was replying (link) to a thread, I analyzed what I was underlining in a quote box of the OP. In particular I do so to indicate the issue in the OP’s post to which I am subsequently replying, or quoting other subscribers relevant to the issue.

As noted above, quote boxes are already in italics, and I consider all capitals or bolding too distracting.

Underlining in my own quote boxes usually indicates my own personal reply to the issue.
  • Capitals aren't good either. They can be hard to read too, and are considered shouting.
  • .Bold should be used for emphasis, but not overused.
  • Just go with normal text. It's easier to read.
Some things that can help are dividing text into sections and using dot points.

Fortunately Bikeforums does offer us some of these capabilities such as the dot points above and the ability to use headings.

For example:

My Heading

-- using the H1 tag

My Heading

-- using the H2 tag

My Heading

-- using the H3 tag

My Heading

-- using the H4 tag
BTW, with a nod to to the OP, @KraneXL, I note his use of headings for emphasis in quote boxes...quite conspicuous! e.g.
How long ago did you take the writing class?

I'm plodding toward my Master's degree. When I started in 2015, some instructors still wanted paper copies. By 2016, none did. I haven't printed and handed in anything in 3 years...
PS: I also underline titles in quote boxes, besides in quotation marks, usually of other threads. When I bold a title at the beginning of a quote box, it is not part of the original quote, but added for reference.

In the actual text of a post, I put titles in italics, in addition to the quotation marks.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-16-19 at 04:46 AM. Reason: added PS and quote by KraneXL
Old 08-15-19, 10:07 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

I actually find the Dyslexie font more difficult to read. [SIZE="3"]I like fonts like Tahoma and strongly dislike fonts like Times New Roman.[/SIZE]
Interesting. I'm not dyslexic, but I find Dyslexie (at least as it appears in my browser on their webpage) to look like all the characters are fading away at the top of each line. Distracting.

Do you think you prefer sans-serif fonts in general? I've heard that serifs are supposed to be good at leading the eye from letter to letter.

For my email I set up the preferences to compose in a fixed-width font, because, dealing with technical stuff, I often spontaneously need to type a table, and I'm OCD about stuff aligning. I got complaints about Courier New being too light to read, so I switched to Lucida Sans Typewriter, as the characters seem a bit heavier
Old 08-15-19, 12:59 PM
KraneXL

Interesting. I'm not dyslexic, but I find Dyslexie (at least as it appears in my browser on their webpage) to look like all the characters are fading away at the top of each line. Distracting.

Do you think you prefer sans-serif fonts in general? I've heard that serifs are supposed to be good at leading the eye from letter to letter.

For my email I set up the preferences to compose in a fixed-width font, because, dealing with technical stuff, I often spontaneously need to type a table, and I'm OCD about stuff aligning. I got complaints about Courier New being too light to read, so I switched to Lucida Sans Typewriter, as the characters seem a bit heavier
Not to answer for anyone else, but to comment I was always taught to er towards conservative when it comes to font readability. For me, I would stick to 3 most basic san-serif fonts:

1) Helvetica -- I believe you have to pay extra for that in Windows.
2) Arial
3) Times New Roman

respectively, for everything I write. That way if anyone has any issues (I never have) they'd have to fight through a world of tradition before getting to me.

Anyway, funny you should mention Courier New since Courier is the chosen font for screenwriting. Even though it may seem like its was written on an old typewriter. In this case, the choice is already made for you.
Old 08-15-19, 01:24 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

I also gravitate to fixed width fonts like Courier New because computer programming is always done in editors that use fixed width fonts, again, because alignment.
Old 08-15-19, 07:54 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

I do prefer san-serif. I find that serifs all blend together into one big jumble of lines.

Same sort of effect as underlining. Text loses "wordness" and becomes "art" ... line drawings with no meaning.
Old 08-15-19, 08:12 PM
noisebeam
Al

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 3456 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 44 Posts
I prefer Comic Sans as it is so easy to read and uniquely stands out, plus it lets people know I am easy going even for serious communications!!!!!!!
Old 08-16-19, 04:48 AM
Jim from Boston

I do prefer san-serif. I find that serifs all blend together into one big jumble of lines.

Same sort of effect as underlining. Text loses "wordness" and becomes "art" ... line drawings with no meaning.
Interesting description of a private personal perception.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-16-19 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-16-19, 06:07 AM
Jim from Boston

I also gravitate to fixed width fonts like Courier New because computer programming is always done in editors that use fixed width fonts, again, because alignment.
Interesting comment. In the past I have posted a training schedule
I do a ten week training program that I saw published in BICYCLING MAGAZINE ... My modification of the plan is to make Sunday my rest day, and Saturday is my century day.

This won't print on the Forum as a nice table, but I think you can figure it out:

WITH STRENGTH TO SPARE:
Mon. Tues. Wed. Thurs. Fri. Sat. Sun. Weekly
Easy* Pace* Brisk* Pace* Pace* Pace* Mileage
10 12 14 Off 12 40 15 103
10 13 15 Off 13 44 17 112
10 15 15 Off 15 48 18 123
11 16 19 Off 16 53 20 135
12 18 20 Off 18 59 22 149
13 19 23 Off 19 64 24 162
14 20 25 Off 20 71 27 177
16 20 27 Off 20 75 27 177
17 20 30 Off 20 75 32 194
19 20 30 Off 10 5 Easy Century 184

EASY CENTURY TRAINING:
Week Mon. Tues. Wed. Thurs. Fri. Sat. Sun. Weekly
Easy* Pace* Brisk* Pace* Pace* Pace* Mileage
1 6 10 12 Off 10 30 9 77
2 7 11 13 Off 11 34 10 86
3 8 13 15 Off 13 38 11 98
4 8 14 17 Off 14 42 13 108
5 9 15 19 Off 15 47 14 119
6 11 15 21 Off 15 53 16 131
7 12 15 24 Off 15 59 18 143
8 13 15 25 Off 15 65 20 153
9 15 15 25 Off 15 65 20 155
Cent Week 15 15 25 Off 10 5 Easy Century 170

Originally Posted by DogBoy View Post
Jim From Boston's Tables in a bit easier to read form:
using Courier font (I don’t think it was “New"). I couldn’t print it out but that is a screen shot.
Likes For Jim from Boston:
Old 08-16-19, 10:09 AM
KraneXL

Graphic design 10: Readability. Its your job JFB to make it easy to read and interpret. Its the main reason why things like resumes (and screenplays) have such strict submission requirements.

When you've got a mile high stack of these things on your desk, no one is going to take the time to "figure it out". They'll just dump it and move on to the next one.There's a time to be creative, and a time to stick to the basics.

In other news, the printer is up and running and everything its touted to be. I've only done a few test sheets, and its still very early, but so far I'm more than satisfied with its performance and quality (which is top notch) of the print.

The printer came with an assembly guide that was pictorial and was easy to follow. The setup guide is a DVD so you'll need a drive. They say you can do this via internet, but when I tried it first that way, it wouldn't recognize the printer.

Once I found my DVD drive and hooked it up, it was virtually automatic with me assisting with minor things such as setting the date configuration. The printer looks real sleek and modern, and the touch screen is big and responsive -- they did a great job on that.

I have yet to print out double-sided or any photos because that paper (and ink) gets expensive real quick so I"m saving that until I have something printable I can really use. The biggest negative out of the box (inks notwithstanding) is the size, where you'll need a table just for the printer.
Old 08-16-19, 11:45 AM
Jim from Boston

Graphic design 10: Readability. Its your job JFB to make it easy to read and interpret. Its the main reason why things like resumes (and screenplays) have such strict submission requirements.

When you've got a mile high stack of these things on your desk, no one is going to take the time to "figure it out". They'll just dump it and move on to the next one.There's a time to be creative, and a time to stick to the basics.
Thanks for your admonition @KraneXL, but as I perenially post:
Posting has become an avocation for me Since my job requires writing formal reports, with legal implications, I consider myself a “wordsmith,” and beside the exchange of information and ideas, I enjoy the mechanics of writing, such as grammar, composition , style, etc. for that addtional mental stimulation
… what I have gotten directly from BF [include]…the opportunity to post and literally "journal" my thoughts and activities about cycling and lifestyle (even if nobody else reads them), but which I wouldn't write down otherwise...

Furthermore…While even if nobody reads my posts, I do try to communicate clearly to the reader. At least I try to evenly space, and keep my paragraphs short for easier readability, FWIW. .
By nesting quote boxes, I indicate to the quoted subscriber(s) that I have read the post(s), reflected on the content, and extracted meaningful point(s), that I worked into a [contrived] quote chain. .
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
(from a now-closed thread) I think that the use of quote boxes, which I have not seen elsewhere is a remarkable way to graphically diagram a dialogue.
...Nonetheless, some subscribers get my style:
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick View Post
Sometimes I do too. (tldr) Other times I'll quickly find and read the "new" unquoted thoughts in the post to see what he's writing about. Either way, it's hardly difficult to deal with.

But, if he's quoted me, I'll almost always read the entire post, just because I'm curious to see where I fit in his virtual conversation.

I find a variety of posting styles makes things more interesting, even if I skip reading some of them
Originally Posted by ksryder View Post
Wow. That is masterful. I've always thought it was just self-indulgent and convoluted, but now I see that they are really performance art.

Bravo, sir. Bravo.
So, with all due respect,
...you do realise that everything you post here is temporary, right? I've been here long enough for there to be several server changes during which time posts were lost.

And it won't be long before this forum disappears entirely ... say, maybe, 5 years or 10 years
Comments on a forum, like life, are merely temporary. Like Rowan says ... discussions here are like those which might occur in a pub. They aren't doctoral theses…
As a Famous Writer wrote, ”If I had more time, I would have written a shorter letter.”

I only read the threads and posts that interest me. If I'm particularly interested in the content then I'm motivated to read no matter how long.

It takes some time to write a properly composed long post, and I take my chances that my expenditure of time might connect with another interested reader.
I think I have absorbed all the good advice I can for a complete and agreeable cycling lifestyle, and recently I have clicked on many fewer threads than before.

In the past I have offered IMO several useful suggestions about cycling, particularly for winter and urban cycling, to multiple repetitive threads. They are usually lost in the morass of often scores of replies, both in agreement and dispute with mine.

I’m not especially motivated to read or write about rides in areas I will never visit, or bikes I would not buy. Other cyclists’ biking stories are often meaningful to me, but usually not consequential enough for a reply.

Frankly, now my main enjoyment is reading the personal clashes on the various threads, such as these current ones: "I work with a moron", or ”How often do you check your mirror?.”
JFB follows his own set of writing standards and rules.

He is perfectly aware of the annoyance caused by his infinite mirror quotes. ...
if I have replied on a recurrent topic, written to my satisfaction, I’ll just quote it. A further challenge then becomes finding the post...
... BTW, I don’t consider posting (and reading) BikeForums a waste of time.

Actually, a waste of time for me is replying to these recurring wearisome replies about my posting style, instead of just ignoring my posts.[Excepting your current reply of course, Krane].

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-16-19 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-16-19, 12:28 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 21 Posts
Its your job JFB to make it easy to read and interpret.
Actually, there isn't anything that, figuratively speaking, prevents people from airing out their privates in public. It might be self-indulgent and distasteful to look at and makes them look crazy but there isn't any rule against it.

JFB has repeatedly said he isn't really interest in being other than self-serving/self-centered.

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-17-19 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-16-19, 12:38 PM
KraneXL

Thanks for your admonition @KraneXL, but as I perenially post: So, with all due respect,
Are you writing to someone else or for yourself?

In any event, you proceed from an incorrect premise if you feel this is coming from me. As I pointed out above, its not my rule, but an academic principal. That's the system you're disagree with if you choose to ignore it. And it wasn't an admonition, rather, a reminder.

In my case, I can be as creative as I want in content, so long as that creativity stays within the structure of the medium I'm submitting it to. Otherwise, if they open it and it doesn't follow a strict set of guidelines it would just get tossed and all my hard work would go for nothing.

Maybe in your line of work you get paid or satisfaction whether you follow the rules or not. But if I submitted a work and used a color cartoon font it would immediately get dumped in the trash unread. Good luck to you and all your writing endeavors.
Old 08-16-19, 01:15 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 71 Posts
Who are YOU writing to besides yourself, explaining "academic principals" for posting on BF?
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 08-16-19, 04:04 PM
Jim from Boston

When you've got a mile high stack of these things on your desk, no one is going to take the time to "figure it out". They'll just dump it and move on to the next one.There's a time to be creative, and a time to stick to the basics….

In any event, you proceed from an incorrect premise if you feel this is coming from me. As I pointed out above, its not my rule, but an academic principal. That's the system you're disagree with if you choose to ignore it. And it wasn't an admonition, rather, a reminder.
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Who are YOU writing to besides yourself, explaining "academic principals" for posting on BF?
In my case, I can be as creative as I want in content, so long as that creativity stays within the structure of the medium I'm submitting it to. Otherwise, if they open it and it doesn't follow a strict set of guidelines it would just get tossed and all my hard work would go for nothing.

Maybe in your line of work you get paid or satisfaction whether you follow the rules or not. But if I submitted a work and used a color cartoon font it would immediately get dumped in the trash unread. Good luck to you and all your writing endeavors.
I have plead my case earlier on this thread and it seem fruitless to continue, but in reply to the above:
Since my job requires writing formal reports, WITH LEGAL IMPLICATIONS, I consider myself a “wordsmith,” and beside the exchange of information and ideas, I enjoy the mechanics of writing, such as grammar, composition , style, etc. for that addtional mental stimulation
Having grown up in the typewriter era, writing papers was the bane of my existence since I seek perfection, at least in the presentation, but I was a poor typist, and corrections were difficult and often messy. In college I did learn essentials of writing though that I still remember today.

Since I have learned word processing, I have taken courses on business / professional writing, and I have three reference books about writing at my desk, though nowadays I mostly consult Google.

So just as that colleague might have spent a lot of time making and finishing [woodworking] items to his satisfaction, I adopted writing as my chosen skill.

Furthermore…While even if nobody reads my posts, I do try to communicate clearly to the reader. At least I try to evenly space, and keep my paragraphs short for easier readability, FWIW.
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
it was all digital sharing/presenting in my 21st century post grad work and also now in my work. some of the good reasons for it are accessibility, cost and sustainability.

.…and for those who feel printed material carries more of a sense of gravitas than digital are just in an old way of thinking..

And I think that all modes of display of the written word are based on the style established by typewritten or typeset documents.

I enjoy word processing because it has freed me from the limitations of the typewriter, and expanded my capabilities.
Posting has become a [creative] avocation for me
I have been an avid cyclist, as a lifestyle since about 1972...I happened serendipitously on Bike Forums in 2008, and it was frankly incredible to find a community that shared so many concerns I had kept to myself as a lone cyclist.

This enthusiasm has definitely increased my enjoyment of cycling. As far as improving it, what I have gotten directly from BF [include]…the opportunity to post and literally "journal" my thoughts and activities about cycling and lifestyle (even if nobody else reads them), but which I wouldn't write down otherwise...

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-17-19 at 04:57 AM.
Old 08-16-19, 04:12 PM
Jim from Boston

∆Ʌ∆Ʌ
Originally Posted by njkayaker View Post
Actually, there isn't anything that, figuratively speaking, prevents people from airing out their privates public. It might be self-indulgent and distasteful to look at and makes them look crazy but there isn't any rule against it.
Originally Posted by TruthBomb
(from a now-closed thread) It’s visual diarrhea, pollutes any thread, and is the opposite of succinct (briefly and clearly expressed).
JFB has repeatedly said he isn't really interest in being other than self-serving/self-centered.
I will continue to post in my style since I have not been banned for violating Forum Guidelines, and because otherwise
I think I have absorbed all the good advice I can for a complete and agreeable cycling lifestyle, and recently I have clicked on many fewer threads than before.

In the past I have offered IMO several useful suggestions about cycling, particularly for winter and urban cycling, to multiple repetitive threads. They are usually lost in the morass of often scores of replies, both in agreement and dispute with mine.

I’m not especially motivated to read or write about rides in areas I will never visit, or bikes I would not buy. Other cyclists’ biking stories are often meaningful to me, but usually not consequential enough for a reply.

Frankly, now my main enjoyment is reading the personal clashes on the various threads, such as these current ones: "I work with a moron", or ”How often do you check your mirror?.”
I do resemble resent being charcterized as "[not] really interest in being other than self-serving/self-centered."

Not to be self-aggrandizing but by my own post earlier on this thread and those of other subscribers, many I have met in person:
By nesting quote boxes, I indicate to the quoted subscriber(s) that I have read the post(s), reflected on the content, and extracted meaningful point(s), that I worked into a [contrived] quote chain...
(from a now-closed thread) I think that the use of quote boxes, which I have not seen elsewhere is a remarkable way to graphically diagram a dialogue.
...Nonetheless, some subscribers get my style:
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick View Post
Sometimes I do too. (tldr) Other times I'll quickly find and read the "new" unquoted thoughts in the post to see what he's writing about. Either way, it's hardly difficult to deal with.

But, if he's quoted me, I'll almost always read the entire post, just because I'm curious to see where I fit in his virtual conversation.
Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
At last I'm enshrined in a Jim from Boston quote chain, feels like the big time! Thank you....
... All my visitors have a great time here. Not to brag, but e.g…
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Well, all the ones which made it out alive ...
I really enjoy showing visitors around Boston on informal walking tours [or bikes], and I would offer that to a fellow BF subscriber, but I'm a pretty busy person, and would need a heads up to see if I'm available at a mutually agreeable time
Originally Posted by miss kenton View Post
...Our trip to Boston was more fun than I could have ever anticipated. I would highly recommend a visit to Boston to anyone. What a beautiful city--and if you are lucky enough to have someone as conscientious, thoughtful, and generous as Jim from Boston guiding you through that trip, you'll have it made!

We were able to see some really interesting things in Boston, and Boston has a great deal to offer. We were only there for the weekend, but I wish we had had more time to see the city.
Originally Posted by rtool View Post
Spent a great weekend with Jim (Jimfromboston). Arrived Friday afternoon and we took off for a ride around the city...

Jim is quite the tour leader. Very knowledgeable about Boston and passed on lots of it’s history. We also ate extremely well. Everything from fresh fish to Italian, and ending Sunday evening at a Thai restaurant. All-in-all it was a great weekend...
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
I have to say, the 50+er who won the "Louis' Man After My Own Heart" award was Jim From Boston. Anyone who would carry a portable martini bar all the way to Finger Lakes is a friend of mine.

Somehow, although we did get a chance to chat, we ended up doing separate rides. Next time Jim.
Just two days ago,
Originally Posted by jppe View Post
August 14, 2016-First day of epic 3400 mile cross country ride from Florence, OR to Boston, MA over 41 days (plus 2 days off the bike)
JimfromBoston provided an incredible guide across Boston to the Atlantic the last day.
FWIW.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-16-19 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-16-19, 04:12 PM
noisebeam
Al

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 3456 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 44 Posts
Old 08-16-19, 06:54 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post
Far out, man!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.