Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

🖨️ Got a new printer today: let the writing begin.

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

🖨️ Got a new printer today: let the writing begin.

Old 08-17-19, 01:47 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2935 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
Interesting description of a private personal perception.
Not just my perception ...

https://www.readandspell.com/best-font-for-dyslexia

"As the British Dyslexia Association explains "Some dyslexic people have expressed strong feelings about typefaces, but there is no agreement apart from saying it should be sans serif.""

https://www.dyslexic.com/fonts/

"Serif fonts, with their ‘ticks’ and ‘tails’ at the end of most strokes (as found in traditional print fonts such as Georgia or Times New Roman), tend to obscure the shapes of letters, so sans-serif fonts are generally preferred."

https://www.bdadyslexia.org.uk/advic...ly-style-guide

"Use sans serif fonts, such as Arial and Comic Sans, as letters can appear less crowded. Alternatives include Verdana, Tahoma, Century Gothic, Trebuchet, Calibri, Open Sans."

"Avoid underlining and italics as this can make the text appear to run together and cause crowding. Use bold for emphasis."

Rather than a line like this: A quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.

Last edited by Machka; 08-17-19 at 01:55 AM.
Old 08-17-19, 03:57 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka View Post
I do prefer san-serif. I find that serifs all blend together into one big jumble of lines.

Same sort of effect as underlining. Text loses "wordness" and becomes "art" ... line drawings with no meaning.
Interesting description of a private personal perception.
Not just my perception ...

"Avoid underlining and italics as this can make the text appear to run together and cause crowding. Use bold for emphasis."[/FONT]

Rather than a line like this: A quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.
Obviously to me is that the perception of the written word by a dyslexic is foreign to me as a “normolexic.” I was particularly intrigued by your apparent neologism, “wordness.” It’s not defined on my search of the Internet, and by the context of your quote is not “wordiness.”

My own perception of that word is akin to “readable" as opposed to “unintelligible” and was graphically defined by the contrast to “ ’art" ... line drawings with no meaning.’ "

The line "A quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" is completely readable ("wordable") to me.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-17-19 at 04:03 AM.
Old 08-17-19, 10:37 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 25 Posts
I do resemble resent being charcterized as "[not] really interest in being other than self-serving/self-centered."
Dude, you say it:

the opportunity to post and literally "journal" my thoughts and activities about cycling and lifestyle (even if nobody else reads them), but which I wouldn't write down otherwise.
Just two days ago, FWIW.
What does this have to do with your goofy posting style?

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-17-19 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-19-19, 09:34 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 75 Posts
Interesting comment. In the past I have posted a training schedule using Courier font (I don’t think it was “New"). I couldn’t print it out but that is a screen shot.
My favorite Jim From Boston post ever! Great illustration of the usefulness of Courier for quick&easy tabular alignment
Old 08-19-19, 09:35 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 75 Posts
The line "A quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" is completely readable ("wordable") to me.
To me (another 'normolexic', if that itself is a real word) that is readable, but the underlining diminishes the readability.
Old 08-19-19, 10:29 PM
Jim from Boston

Interesting comment. In the past I have posted a training schedule using Courier font (I don’t think it was “New"). I couldn’t print it out but that is a screen shot.
Originally Posted by DogBoy View Post
Jim From Boston's Tables in a bit easier to read form:
Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
My favorite Jim From Boston post ever! Great illustration of the usefulness of Courier for quick&easy tabular alignment
Obviously a reply to your preceding informed post. Made sense when I remembered @DogBoy’s long ago post.
I also gravitate to fixed width fonts like Courier New because computer programming is always done in editors that use fixed width fonts, again, because alignment.
Old 08-19-19, 11:03 PM
Jim from Boston

"Avoid underlining and italics as this can make the text appear to run together and cause crowding."

Speaking as a mild dyslexic, I find underlined text very difficult to read, plus underlined text can also indicate a link. So when I see underlined text, I usually skip over it.

Like you probably did when you read this post.
Hi Machka,

Thanks for that feedback. I note that the above links refer to dyslexic readers. As a "normolexic" reader/writer, in my mind I have a hierarchy of typography for emphasis, in increasing intensity:

Underline

Italics

Bold

CAPITALS

I find extensive use of capitals and bold to be more distracting to read, whereas underline and italics are more subtle but effective. Since quote boxes are in all italics, I use underline more frequently.
I do prefer san-serif. I find that serifs all blend together into one big jumble of lines.

Same sort of effect as underlining. Text loses "wordness" and becomes "art" ... line drawings with no meaning.
Obviously to me is that the perception of the written word by a dyslexic is foreign to me as a “normolexic.” I was particularly intrigued by your apparent neologism, “wordness.” It’s not defined on my search of the Internet, and by the context of your quote is not “wordiness.”

My own perception of that word is akin to “readable" as opposed to “unintelligible” and was graphically defined by the contrast to “ ’art" ... line drawings with no meaning.’ "

To me (another 'normolexic', if that itself is a real word) that is readable, but the underlining diminishes the readability.
I made up the term “normolexic.” My first inclination was ”eulexic” (“eu” = “true, "genuine”) but that seemed too obscure. (but without prejudice, e.g. "euthyroid" as opposed to "hypo- or "hyperthyroid.") I had replied to @Machka, for her neologism “wordness” with my own “wordable.”

BTW, I have posted
...I like to make my posts self-explanatory, as if someone reading from the last post in a thread forward could understand the context of my post, so I include quotes expressing the entire “conversation.”
So that’s why I used several quotes to express the totality of this conversation.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-20-19 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-20-19, 05:43 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 72 Posts
The readabilty of his posted messages does not seem to be a concern for this poster; the self-perceived "craftsmanship" of the message appearance and the associated search for and placement of previously posted comments in the wall-of-text messages seems to get much more attention to detail.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 08-20-19, 05:45 AM
Jim from Boston

Got a new printer today: let the writing begin.
Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
Been meaning to make good on my promise and NYs resolution to start writing again. Haven't done any writing since I took that writing class. Also, didn't have a printer. Got my bonus this month, so no more excuses….

Who writes?
Graphic design 10: Readability. Its your job JFB to make it easy to read and interpret. Its the main reason why things like resumes (and screenplays) have such strict submission requirements.

When you've got a mile high stack of these things on your desk, no one is going to take the time to "figure it out". They'll just dump it and move on to the next one.There's a time to be creative, and a time to stick to the basics.
Are you writing to someone else or for yourself?

In any event, you proceed from an incorrect premise if you feel this is coming from me. As I pointed out above, its not my rule, but an academic principal. That's the system you're disagree with if you choose to ignore it. And it wasn't an admonition, rather, a reminder.

In my case, I can be as creative as I want in content, so long as that creativity stays within the structure of the medium I'm submitting it to. Otherwise, if they open it and it doesn't follow a strict set of guidelines it would just get tossed and all my hard work would go for nothing.

Maybe in your line of work you get paid or satisfaction whether you follow the rules or not. But if I submitted a work and used a color cartoon font it would immediately get dumped in the trash unread. Good luck to you and all your writing endeavors.
Apropos of the question in the OP,
Since you asked...

Having grown up in the typewriter era, writing papers was the bane of my existence since I seek perfection, at least in the presentation, but I was a poor typist, and corrections were difficult and often messy. In college I did learn essentials of writing though that I still remember today.

Since I have learned word processing, I have taken courses on business / professional writing, and I have three reference books about writing at my desk, though nowadays I mostly consult Google.So just as that colleague might have spent a lot of time making and finishing [his woodworking] items to his satisfaction, I adopted writing as my chosen skill.
Posting has become an avocation for me Since my job requires writing formal reports, with legal implications, I consider myself a “wordsmith,” and beside the exchange of information and ideas, I enjoy the mechanics of writing, such as grammar, composition , style, etc. for that addtional mental stimulation
This may sound wonky, but over the past few years I have become engrossed in learning the various Microsoft office products, in conjunction with various projects I do at work

I think of the Office products as a sort of adult computer game, and I'm always trying to achieve higher levels of skill.
Be it typewritten, electronically printed, or online, in my 20th century mind, attention to the rules...grammar, compostion, typography...in other words style, implies gravitas.

And Ithink that all modes of display of the written word are based on the style established by typewritten or typeset documents. I enjoy word processing because it has freed me from the limitations of the typewriter, and expanded my capabilities.
Just this morning, I realized that for the past few years, I have probably reached the pinnacle of my writing capability; I have been using voice recognition technology for my professional reports, as well as personal stuff.

I find that voice recognition requires close attention and proof-reading because incorrect and sometimes absurd or worse transcription creeps in, but it is so labor-saving. Nonetheless I'm glad I learned writing in the old school ways.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-20-19 at 08:47 AM.
Old 08-20-19, 09:14 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
The readabilty of his posted messages does not seem to be a concern for this poster; the self-perceived "craftsmanship" of the message appearance and the associated search for and placement of previously posted comments in the wall-of-text messages seems to get much more attention to detail.
As I posted previously on this thread, .
This may sound wonky, but over the past few years I have become engrossed in learning the various Microsoft office products, in conjunction with various projects I do at work…I think of the Office products as a sort of adult computer game, and I'm always trying to achieve higher levels of skill.

I used to admire a busy colleague who was an accomplished woodworker, and computer-generated presentations are the craft I have chosen.
So just as that colleague might have spent a lot of time making and finishing [woodworking] items to his satisfaction, I adopted writing as my chosen skill.
Just this morning, I realized that for the past few years, I have probably reached the pinnacle of my writing capability; I have been using voice recognition technology for my professional reports, as well as personal stuff.

I find that voice recognition requires close attention and proof-reading because incorrect and sometimes absurd or worse transcription creeps in, but it is so labor-saving. Nonetheless I'm glad I learned writing in the old school ways.
Kind of like power tools that demand careful safety of a woodworker who previously only used hand tools.

While my colleague may have made beautiful pieces, I doubt they added to his income, whereas my writing greatly enhances my profession. And even if he made crappy pieces, like wobbly tables, I’m sure the process was fulfilling to him. So too, do I like posting here, even if my posts don’t have a leg to stand on.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-20-19 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-20-19, 04:50 PM
Jim from Boston

PS to ˄˄˄˄
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Originally Posted by njkayaker View Post
Actually, there isn't anything that, figuratively speaking, prevents people from airing out their privates public. It might be self-indulgent and distasteful to look at and makes them look crazy but there isn't any rule against it.
Originally Posted by TruthBomb
(from a now-closed thread) It’s visual diarrhea, pollutes any thread, and is the opposite of succinct (briefly and clearly expressed).
JFB has repeatedly said he isn't really interest in being other than self-serving/self-centered.
…While my [woodworking hobbyist] colleague may have made beautiful pieces, I doubt they added to his income, whereas my writing greatly enhances my profession. And even if he made crappy pieces, like wobbly tables, I’m sure the process was fulfilling to him.

So too, do I like posting here, even if my posts don’t have a leg to stand on.
Indeed, I’m so persnickety and egocentric that I even edit posts from months to years old to satisfy my own aesthetic.
Originally Posted by alan s View Post
You do realize that once this is out of the top 5 threads, no one will read it, and after it drops off the first page, it is ancient history. Good luck keeping it active and getting anything useful out of it.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-20-19 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08-20-19, 05:25 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 25 Posts
PS to ˄˄˄˄ Indeed, I’m so persnickety and egocentric that I even edit posts from months to years old to satisfy my own aesthetic.
You coughed up another hairball.