Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

WTB: Campagnolo (Campy) cranks, crankset

Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

Old 08-16-19, 12:12 PM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts

(Finally signed on the Premium Membership so I could post a WTB)

Looking to replace my Avocet cranks with Campagnolo, Record or Super Record, double chainring. Not looking for new-in-box or show quality (well, wouldn't turn it away), but not war-zone condition either. Need 170mm length (UPDATE: it's been pointed out to me I should be open to longer cranks. 61.5cm frame, I have a 32" inseam; I just always rode 170's), English pedal threading. No bottom bracket is just fine if that's what you have. Open to ideas on chainrings, I'm used to 53/42 but I could see running 52/45... or what have you? In extremis, my 144BCD rings seem OK and could transfer over if there are no rings and the BCD is the same. Nice dust caps would be a great plus, but not a deal breaker.

(Looks like I just missed out on a Super Record set here... bummer).

Fully expecting it might take a while, and a couple of bumps, to locate a set. Yeah, there are sets on eBay but was hoping to perhaps come in below eBay asking prices...

Last edited by tiger1964; 08-16-19 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-16-19, 08:50 PM
rockdoc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
did you see mine, here..?

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...l#post21039930

Originally Posted by tiger1964 View Post

Looking to replace my Avocet cranks with Campagnolo, Record or Super Record, double chainring. Not looking for new-in-box or show quality (well, wouldn't turn it away), but not war-zone condition either. Need 170mm length (UPDATE: it's been pointed out to me I should be open to longer cranks. 61.5cm frame, I have a 32" inseam; I just always rode 170's), English pedal threading. No bottom bracket is just fine if that's what you have. Open to ideas on chainrings, I'm used to 53/42 but I could see running 52/45... or what have you? In extremis, my 144BCD rings seem OK and could transfer over if there are no rings and the BCD is the same. Nice dust caps would be a great plus, but not a deal breaker.

Fully expecting it might take a while, and a couple of bumps, to locate a set. Yeah, there are sets on eBay but was hoping to perhaps come in below eBay asking prices...
Old 08-17-19, 06:28 AM
tiger1964 

Originally Posted by rockdoc View Post
Yeah, but I presume already spoken for?
Old 08-17-19, 07:11 AM
rockdoc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, but I presume already spoken for?
I don't know yet, waiting to hear.
Old 08-17-19, 08:37 AM
rockdoc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
just heard back; it's sold.
Old 08-17-19, 10:06 AM
tiger1964 

Originally Posted by rockdoc View Post
just heard back; it's sold.
Congrats - everyone's a winner!
Old 08-17-19, 03:58 PM
Last ride 76 

Location: Just moved...1 km S. Now above the "Bike Path" ( River Road, Piermont, NY)

Bikes: Old Bikes: '74 Ron Cooper, Crashed and repaired '76, restored 2015!!! need restoration '74 Witcomb track bike (bought in '75) '75 Carlsbad Masi, bought in '76 New bikes: 84-85 Gios torino "Professional" '76 Olmo Competition C Titiano

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 69 Posts
Set of nice 73 NR cranks for sale $90

​​​​Set of clean NR cranks. There are marks but no real pedal rub. Rings have some symmetrical tooth wear, but good for many miles, and Chainring faces are very good looking. The chainring bolts look really nice, there is no marring or rust, inside or out. (no rust remover used). Bolts and washers are included, not shown. Shipping to Lower 48 incl.
Dust caps not included, I have some NOS, and some more worn ones available. Neither are original to these cranks... post more pictures later, as they have to be retaken.
Eric

Last edited by Last ride 76; 08-17-19 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Wtf is wrong with my posting? This time, first photo, was visible on preview, and now second photo is on top of quote. I don't choose these. Earlier post, same weirdness.
Old 08-17-19, 07:33 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune, Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré, Springfield, Motobecane, John Howard, Greg Lemond

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 24 Posts
Be aware of the CPSC differences when you buy a Campagnolo crank. The 73 shown above is pre CPSC based on the date and the larger built up area on the back side. Post CPSC have less of a built up area. Different spindles are required.

Check out photos in this BF thread to see the actual differences.

Go here for BB information you will find useful

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 08-18-19, 08:25 AM
crandress 
Crapmaster

Bikes: 1953 Terrot, 1980 Mercian Vincitore, Bridgestone MB3, Atala Corsa GS, Bottecchia Gran Turismo, Raleigh Olympian

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CV-6 View Post
Be aware of the CPSC differences when you buy a Campagnolo crank. The 73 shown above is pre CPSC based on the date and the larger built up area on the back side. Post CPSC have less of a built up area. Different spindles are required.

Check out photos in this BF thread to see the actual differences.

Go here for BB information you will find useful
Isn't it 78 and later are post CPSC? Or is it 79 and later?

Crapmaster
Have an adventure and participate in the Box O Crap, Series 7
Old 08-19-19, 04:50 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by crandress View Post
Isn't it 78 and later are post CPSC? Or is it 79 and later?
According to Chuck's Campagnolo Timeline:

C.P.S.C. (Consumer Product Safety Commission) mandates changes to NR/SR. Included are a front derailleur lip, 2.5 mm increase in spacing between crank spider and arm to clear the front derailleur lip with corresponding increase in bottom bracket axle length, a curved quick release lever and ball-end added to quick release conical adjuster, dome-shape added to quick release cam lever on brake calipers, plastic covering added to the wheel guides on the brake shoes, and plastic safety-shields added to rear derailleur screws.
Old 08-19-19, 09:21 AM
Last ride 76 

Location: Just moved...1 km S. Now above the "Bike Path" ( River Road, Piermont, NY)

Bikes: Old Bikes: '74 Ron Cooper, Crashed and repaired '76, restored 2015!!! need restoration '74 Witcomb track bike (bought in '75) '75 Carlsbad Masi, bought in '76 New bikes: 84-85 Gios torino "Professional" '76 Olmo Competition C Titiano

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by rootboy View Post
According to Chuck's Campagnolo Timeline:

C.P.S.C. (Consumer Product Safety Commission) mandates changes to NR/SR. Included are a front derailleur lip, 2.5 mm increas zzze in spacing between crank spider and arm to clear the front derailleur lip with corresponding increase in bottom bracket axle length, a curved quick release lever and ball-end added to quick release conical adjuster, dome-shape added to quick release cam lever on brake calipers, plastic covering added to the wheel guides on the brake shoes, and plastic safety-shields added to rear derailleur screws.
Photo of difference pre CPSC (center) and "post" CPSC (outer arms)... Apparently Campy was trying to get ahead of the curve, which makes sense from a sales/stocking perspective.
Note the date code on the right, is a 7 in the diamond. Left is an 8 in the diamond, the center arm is the pre-CSPC design, with a 3 in the diamond and the beefier center " bulge".

Last edited by Last ride 76; 08-19-19 at 09:25 AM.