Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Dirt is suddenly resplendent.

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-22-19, 12:09 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts

Dirt is suddenly resplendent. Athlinks, the tech platform of Life Time, which owns and operates health clubs and participatory events like the Leadville, Colorado, race series, Dirty Kanza, and Chicago Half Marathon, reports that off-road events—gravel and mountain-bike rides, trail and mud runs—dominate the wish lists of their members. Meanwhile, says company spokesperson Kimo Seymour, its data on timed races shows “modest to significant declines in events on pavement over the last three to four years, specifically road running, road cycling, and triathlon.” Also surging right now, he adds, is youth mountain biking.

https://www.outsideonline.com/240108...roads-for-dirt
Old 08-22-19, 08:48 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
More bikes = awesome
Old 08-22-19, 09:08 AM
Seattle Forrest

I had never encountered the word resplendent until a couple months ago at a WTA work party. You can't can that terrible thorny plant "devil's club" anymore, that's offensive, it's "resplendent maple bush" now.
Old 08-22-19, 09:18 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I had never encountered the word resplendent until a couple months ago at a WTA work party. You can't can that terrible thorny plant "devil's club" anymore, that's offensive, it's "resplendent maple bush" now.
The Outside article seems to be using it as a synonym for "rising in popularity" which I guess I can see but seems odd. I don't believe I've seen that particular usage of it. It means "shining."

I'm not familiar with devil's club so I googled it and I don't see anything particularly resplendent about it, other than maybe the little red berries it produces. This sounds like someone in administration who is uptight getting their panties in a wad over the word "devil."
Likes For ksryder:
Old 08-22-19, 09:33 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
The only thing I can imagine, is that the author of this piece got a gold star in the 4th grade for using the word "resplendent" in a book report, and has been cramming the word into every possible sentence, ever since.

Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 08-22-19, 10:12 AM
Seattle Forrest

The title of the article was
Scared of the Road, Cyclists Are Migrating to Dirt

but I didn't think that was very resplendent.
Old 08-22-19, 01:14 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I don't think the title gets it right. You can make any challenge as hard as you want to, but gravel is much more participatory than road riding is. It's not only about "being safer".

Hang on for a second......

On gravel, you've got essentially foot-race style participatory "racing" by the vast majority of participants. It's much lower pressure than knowing your day could be ruined and over in a matter of minutes by getting "dropped".

You can make it a fun day to chat with others and do your ride and get a finisher medal. You can go for a PR or PB. You can go for a win. You can have a beer and maybe food truck afterwards. People recognize each others efforts all across the spectrum with both kind words, and maybe a finisher medal.

Some people are really opposed to finisher medals, but it doesn't hurt my feelings to see someone relish in doing something they didn't think they could do. I can't judge that.

Why wouldn't people prefer that to the often stodgy and high pressure world of "being roadie" or racing road.

How many road races do participants stop to cool off in a creek or the professional leaders stop to pose for pictures on a couch in the middle of the road?

It's fun, it's inclusive, it's inherently safer to train for, lower pressure. All wins.

MTB/gravel still has the perception, fair or not, as the "cool guys and gals" of cycling and the roadies as well, you know.......
Old 08-22-19, 02:01 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
I don't know about resplendent, but there is a short bit of single-track in the Sultan Basin area that's carpeted.
Old 08-22-19, 02:07 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
The title of the article was

Scared of the Road, Cyclists Are Migrating to Dirt

but I didn't think that was very resplendent.
OK sorry, my bad. I guess I was not very intellectually-resplendent earlier today, hadn't had my coffee yet. Oh dear, now where did I put that artificial sweetener?

Old 08-22-19, 02:29 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Yeah, I do think the title of the article gets it wrong, or at least is making an unfounded assumption.

The author is confusing correlation and causation.

While I do think that riding MTB is ultimately less risky (for severe, life-changing/ending injuries) than pavement riding, I have serious doubts that people are choosing mtb or gravel racing over road racing due to safety concerns.
Old 08-22-19, 02:30 PM
Seattle Forrest

This obviously applies here, as "gravel" has become "a thing" in the road world. You can debate where it fits exactly (drop bar bikes being ridden on a specific type of road = road cycling, in my book) but a lot of people are riding less pavement and more dirt.

What I found really interesting is that the same thing is happening with runners, migrating from the road to the trail. I'm not much of a runner, I've seen friends doing it though. Trail running is actually fun, road running always seemed tedious to me.
Old 08-22-19, 09:17 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I certainly didn't start riding gravel because I was scared of roads and was trail running before I could drive.

Outside was a good print publication decades ago but the internet version is a rag anyway. The phrase, "quit my road habit" is very condescending.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 08-22-19 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08-22-19, 09:26 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Road Bike Action magazine should be honest and change their name to Gravel Bike Action.

Over the last few years they have developed a fetish-like obsession for gravel bikes. Their focus on Dirty Kanza is reaching epic proportions.

Now, I have absolutely nothing against gravel bikes and/or gravel riding. The more people riding bikes, the better it is for everyone.

It is just that gravel is not my thing and I’d rather if RBA focused on its title sake, that’s all.

BTW, I see more and more gravel bikes being ridden out on the roads. Is this the equivalent of guys riding off-road vehicles out on suburban streets?
Old 08-22-19, 09:30 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
I hear a couple times a month that someone in my area wants to try gravel riding because they dont like the idea of paved road riding alongside all the distracted drivers.

Whether that's perception, reality, or a mix of both- I'm not sure.

We have a huge network of paved trails and a huge number of recreational riders seems to stick to the trails for either all of their riding or almost all of it. There isn't much incentive to ride roads, unless you want hill climbing too, and it seems many dont want that since hills around here lead away from the communal bars along the trails.

Gravel certainly means lower traffic and new sights(of more corn and beans).

Mtb around me would be more popular if the trails were maintained more and not located in land next to creeks and rivers that floods/flood stays damp.
Old 08-22-19, 09:32 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
BTW, I see more and more gravel bikes being ridden out on the roads. Is this the equivalent of guys riding off-road vehicles out on suburban streets?
I'm sure it could be that for some.
For others, it's just a more comfortable bike due to geometry and tires.
Old 08-22-19, 09:33 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Possibly.

BTW, I agree wholeheartedly with the basic premise of the article. People are, if not scared at least cautious, about riding on the road and sharing space with these vehicular behemoths.The goal should not be “coexistence” but segregation. We need to look at other countries and adopt our own variant of what is working for them.

As I get closer to retirement I plan to do more riding and road riding is still my preference. I just don’t want to be squashed to death by some pimple-faced teenager texting while driving.

Last edited by eja_ bottecchia; 08-22-19 at 09:42 PM.
Old 08-23-19, 04:23 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
I just finished building up a dedicated gravel bike after breaking a rear wheel on my road bike while riding on a seasonal use road that was gravel/dirt/exposed shale.

My motivation for riding more and more gravel was really just exploration, and the desire to ride new routes and places. Over the past several years I would frequently do rides where I'd just see a road and turn onto it, then another, then another. On weekends in particular these rides led out into the countryside (intentionally away from the routes I commute), and inevitably would include some gravel. Then more gravel, and then instead of just randomly hitting gravel I was seeking it out, putting together routes that intentionally went further afield.

Incorporating more dirt and gravel roads usually means new sights, less distance but probably more hills, and certainly fewer cars. But not feeling safe in traffic wasn't my motivation for riding more gravel - it was really just "hey, that "road" looks fun."

BTW, here's the new bike, and the broken wheel that finally made me decide to build a dedicated gravel bike. My road bike is a triple so going to a 1x11 I was a bit concerned I'd hate it. So far I have one good ride on it and while I notice the big gearing jumps, for the most part they don't bother me. Where you really feel it is riding pretty hard on flat pavement. On the dirt, or on hillier terrain, not so much.

ETA: after this picture (and after my initial ride) I moved the seat a bit higher, and repositioned the shift/brake levers because they were too low on the bar.

Old 08-23-19, 07:49 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
It's the Coal Roller effect. People trying to get their macho on. Probably seeing an increase in Camo cycling gear as well. I grew up walking, riding, driving, etc. down dusty dirt/gravel roads. I did my time in that environment.

Last edited by seypat; 08-23-19 at 07:53 AM.
Old 08-23-19, 08:00 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
The only thing I can imagine, is that the author of this piece got a gold star in the 4th grade for using the word "resplendent" in a book report, and has been cramming the word into every possible sentence, ever since.
I bet the dirt around Chernobyl is resplendent.
Old 08-23-19, 08:21 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by billyymc
I just finished building up a dedicated gravel bike after breaking a rear wheel on my road bike while riding on a seasonal use road that was gravel/dirt/exposed shale.

Quite simply the wrong wheel for the job... It was resplendently lacking in spoke count and design.
Old 08-23-19, 09:46 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Clipped_in
Quite simply the wrong wheel for the job... It was resplendently lacking in spoke count and design.
Possibly, but the the Zondas are marketed (or were when I bought these) as a cyclocross wheel. As such I figure it should be capable of gravel riding. I think if I'd been on wider tires at lower pressure this may not have been an issue. Of course it's possible this was from a relatively large rock that kicked up into my wheel on a descent - not really sure. I didn't see it until I got home...the spoke was still attached but barely.
Old 08-23-19, 09:56 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by billyymc
Possibly, but the the Zondas are marketed (or were when I bought these) as a cyclocross wheel. As such I figure it should be capable of gravel riding. I think if I'd been on wider tires at lower pressure this may not have been an issue. Of course it's possible this was from a relatively large rock that kicked up into my wheel on a descent - not really sure. I didn't see it until I got home...the spoke was still attached but barely.
Glad you made it home ok.
Old 08-23-19, 11:34 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I ride a gravel bike on and off pavement. I love in a city surrounded by paved roads, and I only have room for one bike. I take it out of town on weekends, and a lot of the best routes involve dirt roads. You wouldn't think it's a gravel bike to look at it.
Old 08-23-19, 11:34 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by seypat
It's the Coal Roller effect. People trying to get their macho on. Probably seeing an increase in Camo cycling gear as well. I grew up walking, riding, driving, etc. down dusty dirt/gravel roads. I did my time in that environment.
I don't know if wearing kit and getting your macho on are compatible?
Old 08-23-19, 12:02 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
Road Bike Action magazine should be honest and change their name to Gravel Bike Action.

Over the last few years they have developed a fetish-like obsession for gravel bikes. Their focus on Dirty Kanza is reaching epic proportions.

Now, I have absolutely nothing against gravel bikes and/or gravel riding. The more people riding bikes, the better it is for everyone.

It is just that gravel is not my thing and I’d rather if RBA focused on its title sake, that’s all.
IMO, riding gravel and dirt roads IS “road biking”. I think what happened is that “road biking” had became synonymous with “paved bike racing”, which (IMO) has lead to a lot of people being sold bikes that are uncomfortable and ill-suited for the surface conditions of many of the roads where they live.

I don’t see the move toward more “Gravel” riding as a move away from road riding, It is simply expanding the types of roads you ride on. It’s about choosing the bike that works well on your roads (paved or dirt), rather than choosing the roads to suit your bike. I cannot count the number of gorgeous, nearly car-free routes in my area that most roadies don't even consider because they are either dirt, or really crappy pavement that suck on 25mm tires.

I find the most sensible and versatile road bikes out there right now are some of the Gravel and All-Road offerings. Traditional "road" bikes are the niche tool, IMO.

So it makes sense to me that road biking publications would start covering dirt and gravel road riding as interest in it is expanding.

IMO, the proliferation of Gravel and All Road bikes and gravel/dirt road riding is the best think to happen to road bikes (and road riding) in decades.

Last edited by Kapusta; 08-23-19 at 12:06 PM.
Likes For Kapusta:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.