Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

LeMond Special on OLN

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

LeMond Special on OLN

Old 12-01-04, 12:04 PM
Hipcycler
OCP

Bikes: The kind with two wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
LeMond Special on OLN

Anybody see the show recently?
I just watched the tape while riding on the trainer in my basement. Wow. What a story!

I was not into cycling at all back in the late 80's, so this was fascinating for me to learn about.
Old 12-01-04, 07:19 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I didn't get to see it, but I'll keep my eyes open for it, though.

Thanks for the heads up.

Koffee

Old 12-01-04, 07:34 PM
HigherGround
Descends Like Avalanche

Bikes: Lynskey R240, Sportive, and a Helix Sport disc model in the works; Eddy Merckx MX Leader; Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I started cycling in the early 80's, so LeMond and Andy Hampsten were my heroes when I was racing as a teenager. This program brought back a lot of memories. For anyone who has gotten in to cycling in the "Lance era", this gives a lot of great background information. LeMond really helped to revolutionize the sport and to pave the way for other Americans in Europe. When I was lucky enough to meet LeMond after he retired from racing, I was extremely impressed with his friendly, down to earth nature. Despite being a three time winner of the Tour de France and winning multiple World Championships, he was much more gregarious and approachable than some of the amateurs I raced against! Some of LeMond's recent comments have drawn the ire of Armstrong fans who write him off as nothing more than a bitter has-been. Watching this program might help to give a fuller appreciation of who LeMond is and what he has done for the sport.
Old 12-02-04, 07:34 AM
Hipcycler
OCP

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HigherGround
I started cycling in the early 80's, so LeMond and Andy Hampsten were my heroes when I was racing as a teenager. This program brought back a lot of memories. For anyone who has gotten in to cycling in the "Lance era", this gives a lot of great background information. LeMond really helped to revolutionize the sport and to pave the way for other Americans in Europe. When I was lucky enough to meet LeMond after he retired from racing, I was extremely impressed with his friendly, down to earth nature. Despite being a three time winner of the Tour de France and winning multiple World Championships, he was much more gregarious and approachable than some of the amateurs I raced against! Some of LeMond's recent comments have drawn the ire of Armstrong fans who write him off as nothing more than a bitter has-been. Watching this program might help to give a fuller appreciation of who LeMond is and what he has done for the sport.
Very true.
I didn't come into this sport until 2001, and had no idea about the history of the guy. Why now does it seem like when I mention his name to people many seem to think he was a good cyclist but kind of an ass with a chip on his shoulder? Seriously, that's the vibe I get from people when his name comes up and I never knew anything about him before watching this show.
Old 12-02-04, 07:53 AM
RiPHRaPH
Don't Believe the Hype

Bikes: 1999 Steelman SR525, 2002 Lightspeed Ultimate, 1988 Trek 830, 2008 Scott Addict

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i still have a picture of lemond racing on a huffy. one of my fav's. radioguy: Lemond didn't get his rep for having a chip on his shoulder till recently (post-racing career) >> largely due to comments regarding doping and Lance's accomplishments on the Tour.

IMHO when he came back from that hunting accident to win the tour>>that was the original heroic effort. If he raced in this era, he would be splattered all over ad's and have the mainstream media darling tag that Lance enjoys. Maybe that's some of it.

He was robbed of a 4th tour to support his teammate. he was lied to and misled and i'd be much more bitter than he has publicly stated.
Old 12-02-04, 08:20 AM
boyze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't seen the OLN show, but I raced all through the 80's and followed Lemond's career. He did do a lot for US cycling along with Boyer, Hampsten, the whole 7-11 team, Grewal winning the LA Olympic road race even though it was a boycott Olympics and so on. His and LA's near death experiences with subsequent returns to glory are awe inspiring. LA put the PR machine behind his and is now simply "Lance" to the world. Unfortunately Greg doesn't have the same PR machine outside of cycling.
Old 12-02-04, 02:24 PM
netso

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw the program and came away with the impression that he was very bitter. I liked him a lot more before the program.
Old 12-02-04, 02:27 PM
Hipcycler
OCP

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by netso
I saw the program and came away with the impression that he was very bitter. I liked him a lot more before the program.
That may be the case, but it seems like if anyone had a right to be a little bitter...man, all the stuff the guy went through.