Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

BACK in the saddle

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

BACK in the saddle

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-18, 01:39 PM
Longrdback

Bikes: Have had Marin and Raliegh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BACK in the saddle

I need some advice please. I formerly rode Road and Touring Bikes, however it has been a cpl years following traumatic accident that left me with Spinal fusion, And messed up neck. Needless to say a RODE bike and geometry wd not suffice my ergonomics. I am 5'7 with 29/30 inseam, have not kept up with the changes in past several years, any suggestions wd be apreciated, looking for a comfortable ride, more upright than over the bar.
I need the bike for my continued recovery. Thank you, Best regards
Old 09-03-18, 02:15 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts

My dad ordered a Breezer from a shop in SA a few years ago. Breezer does a good job. Linus also puts reasonable bits on their bikes. Or build your own upright bike.
Old 09-03-18, 02:36 PM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
Take a test ride at a Trek or Cannondale dealer. I know they have a more upright bike in both of there lines other than the Quick and Fx . Realistic prices also with good company backing. Just an idea that can get you back on a bike without breaking the bank if it doesn't work out for you. I bought a used mountain bike and put a few dollars into it to find out if getting back on a bike was going to work for me after having back surgery years ago. It proved I could and sold it for what I had invested and bought a nice hybrid.
Hope this works out for you, Frank.
Old 09-04-18, 05:11 AM
abramj

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the world of bikes is just waiting for you to get back on the saddle! I needed a change recently and was surprised how much the bikes have changed. When I bought my Miyata 914, there was not much of a choice, but now, you can get as upright as you want, and still have a great quality, lightweight bike, with top notch components. I went with the Specialized Roubaix, which has a shorter top tube, and a little higher hand hold than my Miyata, but still is a nice sporty looking bike. Just go out and try some of the bikes at the local shops and test ride them to see how you like them. My old Miyata had 52/39 - 11-26 gears, my new has 46/36 - 11-36 gears. MUCH nicer for the hills.

Good luck getting back on the bike. I've actually not ridden my new bike yet, but hoping soon to be on it. I too have had a bit of a recovery problem from an injury early this summer. It's crap getting old!
Old 09-04-18, 08:50 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by Longrdback
I need some advice please. I formerly rode Road and Touring Bikes, however it has been a cpl years following traumatic accident that left me with Spinal fusion, And messed up neck. Needless to say a RODE bike and geometry wd not suffice my ergonomics. I am 5'7 with 29/30 inseam, have not kept up with the changes in past several years, any suggestions wd be apreciated, looking for a comfortable ride, more upright than over the bar.
I need the bike for my continued recovery. Thank you, Best regards
You are preaching to the choir here. On July 24 2013, I crashed and broke my neck. Lots of associated injuries as well. Things like chipped teeth, teeth through my lips, smashed nose,and several cervical fractures. The big one was a broken neck that required the fusion of C1 & C2. Two 5 hour operations and 8 days later, I was home on August 1st. In mid-November I was back on the bike on the rail/trails. I never got off the road bike and am riding my Guru steel these days. I have limited range of motion and so, use an Italian Road Bike mirror these days. I am cycling better than ever. My take away from the experience is that injuries and recovery, although possibly similar, are for the most part very individual. Wondering specifically what your limitations are. And, what you have tried riding and how it affected you.
Old 09-04-18, 08:53 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Consider a recumbent. If I were to buy one right now it would be the Bacchetta Bella.

Old 09-04-18, 01:27 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Go check out a tadpole trike.
Old 09-04-18, 02:34 PM
NewATBikeComute

Bikes: Trek 800 Sport,Cavelo Gara

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 6 Posts
I am too new to offer any specific bike advice, but will pass along my experience of the past couple of years.

Tires can make a bad bike better, and a good bike great. In general, a fatter tire requires lower pressure, and is often more comfortable. Old thinking was that tires had to be skinny to be fast, but wider tires are often just as efficient, depending on construction.

Next is the seat; the more upright, the more weight you will carry there. The right seat for you may make a big difference. You may find that a gel seat, or one with springs may make it easier.

So many good bike choices from several bike manufactures, who in turn buy their frames from a limited number of factories in Taiwan (and other places), and then add parts from a very limited number of companies. I'd strongly suggest finding a good bike shop that will let you try different combinations, and see what fits.
Old 09-07-18, 12:58 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I almost hate to recommend a recumbent, mostly because in this situation it plays into the (inaccurate) stereotype that all bent riders have back problems or other disabilities that prevent them from riding uprights. That doesn't mean it isn't a potentially-good choice, though. The Bacchetta Bella mentioned by Dudelsack would be an example of a bent with relatively upright seating for a neutral neck angle. Other possibilities would be RANS long wheelbase, or finding a used TourEasy.