Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Remember when the Internet was cool?

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Old 08-08-19, 04:14 AM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

You know? Like, pre-2005? Before everyone started getting offended all the time? Before everyone turned into a frothing political idiot?

It seems way back when, we had much more freedom online to say whatever we wanted, and most people had a sense of humour.

Now it's just people getting offended by the most mild things, and wanting to block this or report that. When did it just turn into a collection of safe spaces?

That is all.
Likes For Chris L:
Old 08-08-19, 04:49 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris L View Post
You know? Like, pre-2005? Before everyone started getting offended all the time? Before everyone turned into a frothing political idiot?

It seems way back when, we had much more freedom online to say whatever we wanted, and most people had a sense of humour.

Now it's just people getting offended by the most mild things, and wanting to block this or report that. When did it just turn into a collection of safe spaces?
OMG. Overreact much?

Likes For billyymc:
Old 08-08-19, 04:52 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6689 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 87 Posts
Remember when all you could do was type and read words on the internet... oh man, the days of gopher and archie and usenet... man, I miss those days.
Likes For genec:
Old 08-08-19, 05:01 AM
Marcus_Ti 
Frozen Solid.

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 2000 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
Remember when all you could do was type and read words on the internet... oh man, the days of gopher and archie and usenet... man, I miss those days.
Remember when your dog/cat would knock the phone off the receiver in the middle of reading something?
Old 08-08-19, 05:10 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti View Post
Remember when your dog/cat would knock the phone off the receiver in the middle of reading something?
Or someone would pick up the other extension... oh man, the 300 baud days. Nothing like ascii art, eh?
Old 08-08-19, 05:23 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 185 Posts
The internet was never good.

Never.
Old 08-08-19, 05:28 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 236 Times in 133 Posts
I remember upgrading to a 300 baud modem than didn't require the handset to be in a cradle and BBSs. We went absolutely bonkers when one of the BBSs installed a second "node". I can't speak for anyone else but in my book the internet is way cool. I have bikes that I wouldn't have had access to, friends from this very forum who I've gotten to know and ride with and manufacturers have had to make sure they deliver responsible and safe products lest they be roasted on the internet. I like it a lot, but that's just me.
Old 08-08-19, 06:11 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 172 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9061 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 424 Posts
Al Gore never should have invented the damn thing.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-08-19, 06:13 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by nomadmax View Post
I like it a lot, but that's just me.
The best thing about the Internet is that it eliminated the embarrassing trip to the video store checkout counter with adult films.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-08-19, 06:14 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris L View Post

There are, I'm sure, places where this a problem. But it isn't one I encounter. Of course, I don't spend a lot of time writing for audiences I wouldn't be talking to IRL. You have to stay in your own movie.
Old 08-08-19, 07:05 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 181 Posts

The net has come a long way. I remember during the late 90's and early 2000's, processor speeds were doubling every 18 months, video cards, video games, and 3D technology were marching along at a dizzying pace. USB, HDMI, LCD monitors, broadband internet speeds increasing, wifi, smartphones.

But since 2005 or so, most of the really rapid technology advancement has slowed to a crawl. Processors are just slightly faster each year, hard drives slightly bigger, and every few years Microsoft comes out with a more bloated OS that requires newer better hardware just to run as fast as the previous version did. I dunno what happened (the economy tanking?) but needless to say, I'm not glued to this stuff any more.

The net has become boring and over-censored. Anonymity is disappearing except for the most determined people, throwaway email accounts harder to get, and there are more ads than ever. Message boards are no longer cool, and pretty much everything clever or original that can be said has already been said by someone else 10,000 times. The edgy parts of the net are slowly disappearing. At this rate, in 10 more years, it'll be like prime time TV on NBC, ABC, or CBS.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 08-08-19, 07:11 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 127 Posts
As in most cases, it is not the technology that is to be blamed, it is the people using it.
Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 08-08-19, 07:58 AM
Zedoo
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
It was an expensive hobby. Now it's a common tool.
Old 08-08-19, 08:01 AM
jack002

Bikes: (2) 1994 Cannondale R900, red, Silver Trek hybrid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
alt.flame?
It was the same then.
Old 08-08-19, 08:24 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Lemond1985 View Post

The net has come a long way. I remember during the late 90's and early 2000's,
Is that you in your parents' basement?

Seriously...My department got the Internet at work around '96 or so. We planned to use it to share documents/filings in connection with a huge acquisition we were involved in. I remember our law librarian showing me how to search (IIRC) Yahoo! for any subject I wanted. I was downsized in April of '99. Rode across the country and then some that summer. During the trip a guy in our group told me that I could get a free email account with Hotmail and use computers at public libraries. I had no idea that was even a thing. I didn't bother, but I did get a Yahoo! email account before I went to Andalucia, Spain to tour the following winter. I found Internet cafes in a couple of places. In one coastal town there was a bar with a coin-op Internet kiosk. The connections were SOOOOO slow there. You'd type an email, hit the send button and sometimes have to wait a minute or longer for it to go through. Things sure have changed.
Old 08-08-19, 09:14 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 8549 Post(s)
Liked 465 Times in 273 Posts
The local hiking community blames Instagram for everything wrong with the world.

Last edited by Seattle Forrest; 08-08-19 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-08-19, 09:36 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
The model honing community blames Instagram for everything wrong with the world.
I only hone supermodels myself, but I digress.

This internet stuff used to be exciting, cutting-edge, a way to gain an advantage over the uninitiated, and the place to be if you were "with it". Nowadays, it's become a necessity of life. And a huge nuisance to deal with, just one more source of stress.

I moved recently and had no internet and no cell phone for a week. I practically went nuts work-wise, could not function AT ALL. My stress from dealing with this went off the charts. It's expected that everyone these days has a cell phone (and not just any cell phone, a "smartphone") voice mail, high speed internet, the ability to retrieve emails while away from home, the ability to text, multitask, etc. It's no longer optional.

To me, it's as if everyone is being forced to become smokers and heavy drinkers, as a condition of being minimally qualified to perform our jobs. This damned internet has gone from "useful tool", to "slave shackles" within the course of about 10-15 years.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 08-08-19, 09:37 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Breezer Radar

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 83 Posts
It's the advertising business model. More eyeballs = more money, which compels catering to the masses, catering to the lowest common denominator, catering to pop culture. The business model is to push inanity.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 08-08-19, 09:39 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 142 Posts
OP has definitely recorded himself while driving and wearing tactical sunglasses, ranting against immigrants.
Likes For ksryder:
Old 08-08-19, 10:00 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 8549 Post(s)
Liked 465 Times in 273 Posts
The model honing community blames Instagram for everything wrong with the world.
You're a babbling idiot.
Old 08-08-19, 10:04 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 185 Posts
Yeah, when I was a mod on a couple of niche hobbyist sites, usually when some people complained about the sites becoming less interesting, or too heavily "censored," what they really meant was they were upset because they couldn't behave like jackasses with impunity.

Or they had boundary issues and refused to stick to the off topic forum for OT stuff. They'd try to sneak in commentary on hot button issues into unrelated conversations, then whine about "censorship" instead of simply observing the basic guidelines for every forum.

The internet has become a little less accessible and a little less diverse or interesting the past decade. I've done freelance and independent investigative journalism occasionally over the years since leaving the newspaper business. There was a time in the early to mid 2000s when it was easy to research almost anything, without diving into the dark web. And for awhile Google cached practically everything and made it fairly easily accessible. That was great for documenting abuses by public figures, and even for catching news media sites altering stories without notifying readers. I had utilities that would screenshot or download full pages either at timed intervals or whenever a new post appeared or a change was detected on a page. This was very handy for catching public figures lying, or documenting suspicious activities by news media sites that appeared to be caving in to pressure from publishers or other agencies.

But now it's much more difficult to access Google cache. Many of the tools we used to use have been disabled.

And with the influence of Twitter and Facebook, the tone of social discourse has taken a deep dive into the cesspool. Up until a decade ago most racism, misogyny and hate speech was posted anonymously or under pseudonyms. Now people are proud to flaunt their most despicable behaviors, even providing selfie videos to illustrate how horrible they can be.

I'm not sure whether this counts as irony, but around a decade ago a Fox News affiliate described 4chan as the "internet hate machine." And it was a bit rowdy, although there was a certain freedom in that anarchy that was occasionally abused. But Facebook and Twitter have long since superseded 4chan as the internet hate machines. And instead of teenage and 20something Anons, now it's mostly middle age and elderly people on Facebook spewing venom under their real identities. And 8chan replaced 4chan as the hate machine for the younger crowd, at least until it was booted by Cloudflare last week in the aftermath of the El Paso shootings.

Meanwhile on Facebook, a middle aged Texas plumber who used to live here (since moved elsewhere in the state) freely posts suggestions to massacre people in homeless camps. Bug-eyed grandmas from the Midwest say they think Democrats and libruls should be executed for treason. All under their real names.

Freedom is expensive and it ain't always amusing.
Old 08-08-19, 10:09 AM
Phil_gretz
Journeyman Bike Commuter

Bikes: '71 Jeunet 630, '79 Peugeot PXN10LE, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '16 Motobecane Gran Premio Elite, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 80 Posts
The local hiking community blames Instagram for everything wrong with the world.
They're not far off. The social influence behavioral control of Facebook, Google, Yahoo and just a few others affect the attitudes of many tens of millions of people in the U.S. alone.

In Senate testimony recently, an expert under oath said that Facebook alone could selectively influence 2.6 million (conservatively) to 10 million (likely) votes ON ELECTION DAY in national races.

Now it's ideology, political power, advertising, thought policing through directed search results, suppression of speech...frightening. A brave new world, indeed...
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 08-08-19, 10:24 AM
bigbenaugust 
always rides with luggage

Bikes: 2007 Trek SU100, 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Al Gore never should have invented the damn thing.
Wonder if we can get a class action suit going against him...
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: MX Linux / BunsenLabs Linux / Raspbian / Mac OS 10.6 / Android 7
Old 08-08-19, 10:31 AM
genec
genec

Well it sure too a long time to post the ole manifesto back in the day...
Old 08-08-19, 10:41 AM
clemsongirl 

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post
As in most cases, it is not the technology that is to be blamed, it is the people using it.
i see it as just the lack of self esteem, self control and emotional intelligence….

and an ignore feature on a site helps!!!!...a good way to ignore ignorance.

Last edited by clemsongirl; 08-09-19 at 09:11 PM.
Likes For clemsongirl:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.