Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Little League World Series

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Old 08-24-19, 11:19 AM
Hondo Gravel
The water is on fire

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 100 Posts

Going to root for the Louisiana team. They knock out Texas in the regional championship. I played Little League on the all star team back in 1980 we lost the first tournament came in second didnít advance. We thought we were good After watching these kids playing on TV I realize we were horrible. We had fun anyways but the talent level of these kids that advance this far is amazing.
Old 08-24-19, 12:33 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 180 Posts
Yeah, I'm always impressed every August by just how good these kids are. Have you seen the Japanese teams? Those kids are pros.

Would love to see them play using Major League rules, on a standard field. But then again, I'm the kind of person who loves seeing brand new luxury cars smashed up in safety tests, so that's something to consider.
Old 08-25-19, 07:58 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX, 5200 & 7700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 30 Posts
How many of these kids actually make it to a level where they're either getting college scholarships or actually make it to the majors? I'll agree that they all seem to have the moves but I've never seen, I say this anecdotally, too many major league players who claim to have been a child prodigy and played little league on the national level.
Old 08-25-19, 08:45 AM
Deal4Fuji
Friction Fan

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '83 Raleigh Olympian, '87 Lotus Excelle, '85 Centurion Ironman, '75 Schwinn Continental, '73 Raleigh Grand Prix, '84 Trek 500, '12 Trek Alpha 1.1, '77 Schwinn Speedster, Schwinn Trailway, Ross Central Park

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime View Post
How many of these kids actually make it to a level where they're either getting college scholarships or actually make it to the majors? I'll agree that they all seem to have the moves but I've never seen, I say this anecdotally, too many major league players who claim to have been a child prodigy and played little league on the national level.
I've heard several MLB players come back and recount their experience on a broadcast. A quick search turned up quite a few that made it to the bigs :

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/mlb-players...ws/c-145884558

One good thing about Little League rules that makes it more interesting (and more difficult coaching) is the rule than every player has to play in every game and the limitations on the number of inning a pitcher can pitch. Not really keeping up with this year's boys LLWS but caught some of the girls where local NC team won their 2nd title.

Last edited by Deal4Fuji; 08-25-19 at 04:23 PM.
Old 08-25-19, 01:02 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 41 Posts
My grandson plays on a 10 year old AAU basketball team that did well nationally. They have 3 or 4 practices weekly and games weekdays and weekends. He does it because he loves basketball and would be playing pickup games on neighborhood courts if he wasn’t on that team. So I don’t see him missing out on his childhood; rather having a good time during what he loves. I imagine most of the little league players are the same. Then there are the stereotype little league parents that push the kids too, but I think that’s the exception.
Old 08-26-19, 09:00 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 172 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9058 Post(s)
Liked 684 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven View Post
So I donít see him missing out on his childhood; rather having a good time during what he loves.
What childhood should be about. I participated in summer age group swimming between the ages of 10 and 13. Used to have practice every weekday morning for a couple of hours, before the club opened for the day. Being able to rule the pool before the regulars got there was a treat. And I never felt pressure to win. I wanted to, but did not feel pressure to.