Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

being vocal and staying cool in a crit

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-14, 05:59 AM
longe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sometimes things get squirrelly. Sometimes things get tight. Sometimes other racers do <insert adjective> things.

Where are the lines between being vocal in a good way and being overly-vocal? I sometimes have the mouth of a sailor and let squirrelly mistakes around me set me off, loudly, if only for a few seconds. It's a goal of mine to stop swearing (loudly) during races. On the other hand, I like making it clear to people where I am relative to them, so I bark "here" and "go" enough. These obviously aren't mutually exclusive, but wondering veterans' thoughts on it.
Old 09-08-14, 06:55 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
You'll hear some feedback like this:

"Usually the guy yelling is the one that doesn't know how to race"
"If you need to yell then you're in the wrong place"
etc.

If you need to let people know where you are then you're probably in the wrong place, whether you're actually in the wrong place, if you're next to someone that isn't safe, or you're in a spot where you don't need to let people know you're there.

If you need to put your hand out on your hip the same applies.

Even in Cat 3 races I have people tell me they're just behind to my left or right, or I get people touching my hip to let me know they're there. Totally unnecessary.

I have to believe there are times when it could be necessary to say something or do something (touch a hip etc), but other than in a friendly greeting way I don't remember any at the moment.

Having said that I'll say that saying things, as long as you're receptive to feedback, seems pretty reasonable in Cat 5s and 4s. I did a number of Cat 3-4-5 training races this year and vocalizing worries and concerns is good, it lets the others know if you're uncomfortable or if someone else really is doing something weird (swerving etc). As an assigned "patron" of the race (the promoters, including a local coaching guru, actually pointed me out at the line as a rider that might be giving advice/etc to the others) I did receive reports of squirrely riding by some riders who I thought were fine. At the same time a couple riders just didn't listen to or understand some of the feedback. As one other rider said to me about one of those riders, "He just doesn't get it."

In this vid there are a few moves in the 3:30-4:00 move where other riders do some weird stuff. One is someone telling me they're on my right, which is fine, except they have a ton of room, they don't move closer, and therefore it was unnecessary to say anything. In the same race a guy tightens high line suddenly in the hairpin and I hit his rear wheel pretty hard with my front wheel. It's a total non-incident so either I didn't include it or I couldn't find it quickly. I don't say a word and saying or doing anything at that point would have been useless.

At the beginning of this video I give a pretty big shove to a rider to get him to close a gap (it's about 1:44 or so, rider shoved is in yellow/black). I gave him a long shove and he soft pedaled across the gap. At the time I didn't know who it was and I didn't say anything. I knew that when I gave him the shove I'd move back a bit relative to those around me so I started the shove soft and pushed harder, giving any riders directly behind me time to respond. I checked to make sure I was clear before giving the shove, but you never know if someone blasts up the middle so I had to assume that someone was directly behind me.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 09-08-14, 07:09 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I know the OP is talking about yelling and not contact, but on our team rides, a couple of my teammates constantly bump and grab each other on team rides, all in fun, partly just to horse around but partly to be comfortable with contact. Grabbing somebody's saddle when he's trying to attack, slingshotting, that sort of thing. They have fun but it's kind of annoying to be honest. The other week one guy ripped the other guy's pocket off the back of his jersey.
Old 09-08-14, 07:19 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
At the beginning of this video I give a pretty big shove to a rider to get him to close a gap
Completely unreleated to the op, but last year in an early season training race I was doing my 2nd race of the day (B race..cat 3/4) immediately after the first race and one of the A racers that was riding off the back to warm up saw that I was struggling towards the end of the race (and was just off the back after the slight uphill section) and gave me a pretty big shove that launched me back into the pack. Thanks to that shove I was able to finish the race. I never did see who it was to thank him after.
Old 09-08-14, 07:27 AM
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by longe
Sometimes things get squirrelly. Sometimes things get tight. Sometimes other racers do <insert adjective> things.

Where are the lines between being vocal in a good way and being overly-vocal? I sometimes have the mouth of a sailor and let squirrelly mistakes around me set me off, loudly, if only for a few seconds. It's a goal of mine to stop swearing (loudly) during races. On the other hand, I like making it clear to people where I am relative to them, so I bark "here" and "go" enough. These obviously aren't mutually exclusive, but wondering veterans' thoughts on it.
You can be disqualified for language, just FYI.

Also, I don't think there is any reason about being vocal in the middle of a race. If you have a problem with how someone is riding talk to them after. You won't be able to get anything across other than anger in the middle of a race, that is, if he can even hear you.

I also people over exaggerate mistakes. Stuff happens. I'll put a hand on people every once in a while, or let out a 'Hey!' if I have a guy pushing me into the gutter. But that's about it.
Old 09-08-14, 07:43 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1852 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Creatre
You can be disqualified for language
I've seen it happen too.
Old 09-08-14, 07:46 AM
longe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Also, I don't think there is any reason about being vocal in the middle of a race. If you have a problem with how someone is riding talk to them after. You won't be able to get anything across other than anger in the middle of a race, that is, if he can even hear you.

I also people over exaggerate mistakes. Stuff happens. I'll put a hand on people every once in a while, or let out a 'Hey!' if I have a guy pushing me into the gutter. But that's about it.
Yeah, not being DQ'd is a perk of my goal for sure. I'm thinking about this as a part of developing integrity and poise as an athlete. It's my second year as a transplant into racing and being 27, I don't know if I really have the same demeanor as some of the experienced or even collegiate riders I see.

All above points well received.
Old 09-08-14, 08:20 AM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
those who talk the most have the least to say.

i think its true on and off the bike.

my race videos
Old 09-08-14, 08:33 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
The only time I ever talk (which is rare) is to tell someone to speed up during a pull, or close the gap. All a ruse to make someone else do more work. I figure if some dude is squirrely yelling at him isn't magically going to teach him bike skills.
Old 09-08-14, 08:47 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
things I've said in races:

'work with me, we've got a gap'
go **** yourself.

'you have to work harder'
I've got shoes older than you. You work harder.

'on your right'
I'll put you into the curb

'your teammate sucks'
you should hear what he says about you.

19 laps into a crit:
right turn!
Old 09-08-14, 08:56 AM
Creakyknees
ride lots be safe

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like it when I hear guys *****ing at each other during a race; it lets me know they are getting tired / winded / frustrated etc... adversity for them means opportunity for me.
Old 09-08-14, 09:01 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts

I would suggest keeping your mouth shut and your eyes open.
Old 09-08-14, 09:46 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4243 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,811 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
19 laps into a crit:
right turn!
hehe

Old 09-08-14, 10:07 AM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I cuss when I get pissed off about something

other times, I say something to make sure the guy knows I'm there.
Old 09-08-14, 10:36 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 161 Posts
I once started singing 'why cant we be friends' at nutmeg when someone started cursing. A teammate joined in. People started laughing. It was pretty great.
Old 09-08-14, 11:22 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Saved for future use!

Demain, on roule!
Old 09-08-14, 11:23 AM
YMCA
starting pistol means war

Bikes: Cervelo R3

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Creakyknees
guys *****ing at each other during a race lets me know they are getting tired / winded / frustrated etc... .
we've all been the cranky baby at some point, but it's the constant shouter who needs the longest nap
Old 09-09-14, 10:11 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i saw a guy get DQ'ed at the end of stage 1 of a 4-stage stage race. he'd traveled 10+ hours for it.
Old 09-10-14, 05:22 AM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At the Kermis a guy doing his second race missed the start while he was changing numbers/jerseys. As he rode by the start he flipped the bird at us (the officials) before he starts his chase. When he came around we waved him over to chat. We told him that we were going to give him a free lap and restart him at the back of the field on the same lap as the leaders. It would have been very easy to sit there and watch his futile chase only to DQ him later for his actions. It just goes to show you that officials make decisions based on common sense and not emotion.

I am am normally quiet in the field unless I am chatting with someone. If a problem is brewing up ahead I might utter something under my breath.
Old 09-10-14, 06:13 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
99% of the time you won't hear anything from me. Unless I am (rarely) chatting with someone I see no reason to be vocal in a race
Old 09-10-14, 11:54 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 616 Posts
Yeah, not being DQ'd is a perk of my goal for sure. I'm thinking about this as a part of developing integrity and poise as an athlete. It's my second year as a transplant into racing and being 27, I don't know if I really have the same demeanor as some of the experienced or even collegiate riders I see.

All above points well received.
+1 for being honest enough about yourself to work on fixing things.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 10-28-14, 07:50 PM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
things I've said in races:

'work with me, we've got a gap'
go **** yourself.

'on your right'
I'll put you into the curb

'your teammate sucks'
you should hear what he says about you.

19 laps into a crit:
right turn!
Omg I've said almost everyone of these things. That's hysterical.
I often shout out "shut the **** up..." Mid race when guys start chirping.
Old 10-29-14, 09:29 AM
jsutkeepspining
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just pee on people who annoy me. Worked for the yellow jersey guy at the Tour of the Valley a year ago (on the road race stage he just pissed in the middle of the pack, didn't even try to move to either the left or right side)
Old 10-29-14, 09:40 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 251 Posts
I am occasionally aware of people yelling during a race, but I never pay attention to what they're saying. At most, I'll cast a glance to each side to see if someone is passing too close.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 10-29-14, 09:56 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by jsutkeepspining
I just pee on people who annoy me. Worked for the yellow jersey guy at the Tour of the Valley a year ago (on the road race stage he just pissed in the middle of the pack, didn't even try to move to either the left or right side)
jsutkeeppeeing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.