Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How Did I Do? Motobecane Grand Jubilee for my wife....

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-10, 04:32 PM
E_merlin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

I just found a what I hope is a Reynolds 531 Motobecane Grand Jubilee. I am hoping someone can give me a hand with the SN and dating this. The wife is a bit unsure about it but when I get done with it I hope she likes it... I am planning a new bar, front woodly wald or the like, fenders, brooks, etc...

I picked it up for $75 - how did I do?

Here are the numbers from the BB
U181

Also - what components do you recommend I upgrade? Thanks in advance to any/all replies.

Old 08-01-10, 04:37 PM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
75$ for a very nice production mixte? You scored. Very nice catch.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 08-01-10, 04:47 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
+1 First, nice buy. Mixtes are hot, really hot.

As far as upgrades, I would spend money doing the basic maintenance first: cables, housings, bearings, grease, maybe tires and tubes. I would lube up that seat post immediately. Optimize what is there first. Probably doesn't need many/any upgrades. OK, I would probably spend some minimal money getting a nicer, alloy seat post.

Handlebars and levers are not original and look out of place on that bike.
Old 08-01-10, 04:59 PM
E_merlin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks - so it is the real deal. I did not realize the top tube was solid before it split about half way down.

Any recomendations on bars? I was thinking an albatross nitto with cork grips.
Old 08-01-10, 05:04 PM
auchencrow

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Excellent ! She should be very happy. You really did well.
I agree with Thrifty Bill on the bars though - Drops or Northroads would look much better.

PS- Now you have an excuse to get one for yourself
Old 08-01-10, 05:21 PM
ftwelder

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by E_merlin
Hi all,

I just found a what I hope is a Reynolds 531 Motobecane Grand Jubilee. I am hoping someone can give me a hand with the SN and dating this. The wife is a bit unsure about it but when I get done with it I hope she likes it... I am planning a new bar, front woodly wald or the like, fenders, brooks, etc...

I picked it up for $75 - how did I do?

Here are the numbers from the BB
U181

Also - what components do you recommend I upgrade? Thanks in advance to any/all replies.

You did very well.
Old 08-01-10, 05:33 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I would have paid double what you did...but nice bikes like that seldom show up around here.

Excellent score BTW.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 08-01-10, 05:36 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Originally Posted by auchencrow
Excellent ! She should be very happy. You really did well.
I agree with Thrifty Bill on the bars though - Drops or Northroads would look much better.

PS- Now you have an excuse to get one for yourself
+1 Drops or Northroads. If you go the Northroad route, there are some inexpensive alloy ones at Niagara Cycle ($13.58). Myself, I prefer drops so you can have a lot more hand positions. But it is all about rider preference.

https://www.niagaracycle.com/product_...ducts_id=11135
Old 08-01-10, 05:50 PM
bikerosity57

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts
Nope not Reynolds 531. It's Vitus tubing. A nice bike, but no where near as nice as the older GJ's with the fancy lugs, and Reynold straight gauge frames. I have the male equivalent. I was kind of disappointed after seeing a REAL GJ
Old 08-01-10, 07:19 PM
E_merlin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerosity57
Nope not Reynolds 531. It's Vitus tubing. A nice bike, but no where near as nice as the older GJ's with the fancy lugs, and Reynold straight gauge frames. I have the male equivalent. I was kind of disappointed after seeing a REAL GJ
Yeah - that is what I was afraid of. I would like to understand the difference better. Meaning the difference in workmanship and the fancy lugs. I did not see the sticker so I was leary of it. But it still seems like a nice fit for now :-).

Anyone know how I can tell the year?

Last edited by E_merlin; 08-01-10 at 07:25 PM.
Old 08-01-10, 07:27 PM
auchencrow

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Yeah - that is what I was afraid of. I would like to understand the difference better. Meaning the difference in workmanship and the fancy lugs. I did not see the sticker so I was leary of it. But it still seems like a nice fit for now :-).

Assuming it has Normandy hubs the year is stamped on it.
Old 08-01-10, 07:35 PM
E_merlin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The original wheels were stolen and then replaced. I cannot make out the markings on the new ones...
Old 08-01-10, 07:46 PM
juls
over the hill

Bikes: 72 maino-76 austro daimler inter 10-? giant kronos

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
A Grand Jubilee without the jubilee dr's-the nicest (in my opinon) dt shifters that simplex had-but still.......very nice bosses-forged do's...GREAT price-green with envy. Enjoy!
Old 08-01-10, 10:07 PM
dbarnblatt@usa.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Probably a 1978-1980 model. I think the last year of the Nervex lugged Huret Jubilee equipped bikes were 1976 maybe 1977. The MAFAC brakes might have been an upgrade as well. I'd be all over that bike for twice what you spent!

A set of Honjo Fenders and touring bars on that bike would make your wife the envy of all the other girls when she rides around town!

Old 08-01-10, 10:12 PM
Veloria
Lug Princess

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Wow, these models are so seldom seen "in the wild", in comparison to the garden variety Mirage models. Great score on this high-end mixte.
Old 08-01-10, 10:41 PM
terraskye
Retro Prairie Girl

Bikes: 78 Raleigh DL-1,Pashley Princess Sovereign,Specialized Globe City 7.1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well if your wife doesn't want it you can send it up here. I'm totally lusting for a motocabene mixte. It's even the right color. If you come by anymore please please keep me in mind
Old 08-02-10, 05:50 AM
E_merlin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi All - Thanks for all the kinds replies. I am truly more exited about this bike than my wife, but I asked her to give me some time to make it right. SO - before heading to my LBS today, please critique my punch list of work/upgrades: FWIW - I she really liked this Trek Belleville - I have to admit it is finished off nicely and looks nice. I want this one to be at least as nice :-). It will be lighter for sure!

LBS Punch List:
- basic maintenance first: cables, housings, bearings, grease etc.... (thanks thrifty bill)
- 27 X 1 1/4 Pasela Tourguard Kevlar Belted + New Tubes
- Sunlite North Roads Bar (https://www.niagaracycle.com/product_...ducts_id=11135) I think the stem is pretty decent.
- Cork Grips - Does anyone have a favorite
- Bar end shifters? - I don't think the down tubes have much WAF (wife acceptance factor)
- Break levers for the above bar. As a poster pointed out the ones on there now do not look quite right.
- new Saddle and seat post.

So questions -
1. I would like to go indexing bar end shifters - Shimano?
2. Sprung saddle or not - is there a nice Brooks alternative or "just get the brooks"?
3. Seat Post for above - any recommendations on a nice alloy one - also not sure what size... probably Kalloy
3. Brake levers. Are these the 22.2 clamp size? Does anyone make some nice silver ones - recommendations please :-)

I am planning on doing a nice wald woody or bates crate on a front rack. Then some honjos, VO or woody fenders! Front and rear lights of course. I will splurge here on these items to finish it tastefully.

Thanks in advance for helping out!
Old 08-02-10, 06:54 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

If you have a micrometer, measure your seat post. If not, take it to a bike shop and have them measure it for you. Once you know the size, just get the style you like. Myself, I would go with a fluted alloy seat post. There should be many of them available on ebay or wherever. Seat posts need to be the EXACT correct size, not something close. You can do a lot of damage getting one that is close. They usually come in 0.2mm increments, so getting the measurement exact is important. Do not use a tape measure to size it. Many times, the size will be stamped on the post. When in any doubt, use a micrometer to check it.

Myself, one of my best investments ever was a $10 digital micrometer from Harbor Freight.

Might be able to find one from a fellow lister, post a WTB in the market section.
Old 08-02-10, 07:32 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
OP, sounds like you have a good plan for the Moto. And you already knew you scored a great deal. You just wanted to show it off!

If you want to save some money somewhere, you could consider indexed stem shifters. They're easy to come by cheaply and suit an upright riding style well. Note that if you're going to use indexed shifting you'll have to replace the RD. For my money, I'd just put some friciton Suntour Power Ratchet stem shifters on there and see how she likes it. Dollars to doughnuts says she won't be shifting much anyway. YMMV.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 08-02-10 at 07:37 AM.
Old 08-02-10, 08:06 AM
E_merlin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Colonel - thanks for your advice on shifters. I may give that a try and see if she likes them.

@ bill - good idea seems like money well spent.

Anyone have any other opinions on the questions

2. Sprung saddle or not - is there a nice Brooks alternative or "just get the brooks"?
3. Seat Post for above - any recommendations on a nice alloy one - also not sure what size... probably Kalloy
3. Brake levers. Are these the 22.2 clamp size? Does anyone make some nice silver ones - recommendations please :-)
Old 08-02-10, 08:22 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Anyone have any other opinions on the questions

2. My wife is sold on the B67S. It will look fantastic on the Moto and is a supremely comfortable saddle for most.
3. Find your size and check the Bay or the BF For Sale forum. You should be able to find a good-looking, used fluted SR (or similar) post for a good price.
3a. Cheaper but will function fine. A little more and should offer better braking.
Old 08-02-10, 08:48 AM
bikerosity57

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts

It's still a nice bike. She'll probably like it a lot. It has Swiss threads in the bottom bracket, the same as french except the left hand cup has if I remember right right hand threads, instead of left hand. Difficult to find BB's for it. However, my male model is like yours 35 years old and still going.
Old 08-02-10, 11:43 AM
E_merlin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone know of a source for vintage looking seat posts?.... I am told this has a 26.0 seat tube diameter.

Thanks Biekorsity - that is good information I will pass along to the LBS
Old 08-02-10, 11:51 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Anyone know of a source for vintage looking seat posts?.... I am told this has a 26.0 seat tube diameter.

Thanks Biekorsity - that is good information I will pass along to the LBS
https://cgi.ebay.com/New-Bike-Alloy-2...item563ae3d71d

You can remove the logo pretty easily from this one and cut off the excess.

If you want to get fancy then there's this.

However, I strongly suggest putting a digital caliper on the original post before buying a new one.
Old 08-02-10, 12:29 PM
Maddox
Ride heavy metal.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh LTD-3, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile, '83 Fuji TSIII (customized commuter), '10 Mercier Kilo WT (fixed obsession), '83 Bianchi Alloro, '92 Bridgestone MB-1 (project), '83 Specialized Expedition (project), '79 Peugeot UO-8 (sold)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi All - Thanks for all the kinds replies. I am truly more exited about this bike than my wife, but I asked her to give me some time to make it right. SO - before heading to my LBS today, please critique my punch list of work/upgrades: FWIW - I she really liked this Trek Belleville - I have to admit it is finished off nicely and looks nice. I want this one to be at least as nice :-). It will be lighter for sure!

LBS Punch List:
- basic maintenance first: cables, housings, bearings, grease etc.... (thanks thrifty bill)
- 27 X 1 1/4 Pasela Tourguard Kevlar Belted + New Tubes
- Sunlite North Roads Bar (https://www.niagaracycle.com/product_...ducts_id=11135) I think the stem is pretty decent.
- Cork Grips - Does anyone have a favorite
- Bar end shifters? - I don't think the down tubes have much WAF (wife acceptance factor)
- Break levers for the above bar. As a poster pointed out the ones on there now do not look quite right.
- new Saddle and seat post.

So questions -

I am planning on doing a nice wald woody or bates crate on a front rack. Then some honjos, VO or woody fenders! Front and rear lights of course. I will splurge here on these items to finish it tastefully.

Thanks in advance for helping out!
Grips: DIMENSION NATURAL CORK GRIPS. I think they're cheapest on TreeFort Bikes. Do a google search.

Brake Levers: A lot of people use the Tektros. They aren't "period-correct" but their chrome levers shine up nicely. Or you could use some Dia-Compe classic levers (check Velo Orange).

Saddle: As far as Brooks alternatives, Velo Orange rules the crowd. If you want to go with authentic brooks, don't be afraid of scrounging eBay for used saddles. I've done that twice with nothing but satisfactory results.