Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Is everybody who posts on this folder illiterate??

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-05, 08:28 PM
Dave Stohler
60mph in the 42 ring!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Geez, just look at all the misspellings in the title lines!!!

"Waht is cycliing advocacy?"

"Whatsa in front of me is not important!"

"thieft"

Man, **** plaec has gon downhil.......
Old 10-08-05, 08:30 PM
solo
here

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I resent that remark...my mother and father were married months before I was born!
Old 10-08-05, 08:41 PM
bennyk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Stohler
You misspelled "stubborn, self-righteous, and unable to understand others' opinions"

bk
Old 10-08-05, 08:59 PM
ngateguy
Center of the Universe

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo, Norvara Intrepid MTB , Softride Solo 700

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You get what you pay for
Old 10-08-05, 09:05 PM
womble
No longer in Wimbledon...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try subtlety next time- you'll get extra points for it.
Old 10-08-05, 09:10 PM
bennyk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For the record, I think

is an imitation of Mario, a la, "Itsa me! I'ma gonna win"
Old 10-08-05, 09:21 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by solo
I resent that remark...my mother and father were married months before I was born!
Mine weren't, but they were brother and sister for years before I was born, do I get points for that?
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 10-08-05, 09:22 PM
tippy

Bikes: TREK 1000c

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bennyk
You misspelled "stubborn, self-righteous, and unable to understand others' opinions"
Be careful about nit-picking peoples "faults" on this NG. You will get absolutely no sympathy (speaking from experience). People are not illiterate, they are lazy and if their message is spelled close enough to get the message across then it's OK with them. Typically, the attitude is this, if you try to spell check posters, you are considered "stubborn, self-righteous, and unable to understand others' opinions". Consider yourself lucky enough to recognize words that are misspelled and then let it be. They ain't gonna change for you. Live and let live.

d.tipton
Old 10-08-05, 09:22 PM
Placid Casual

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How, precisely, does one post "on" a "folder"? Don't you mean in this forum, my pedantic friend? Also, according to what definition of literacy is it considered "literate" to end a sentence with two question marks?

Yours in pedantry,
PC
Old 10-08-05, 09:24 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bennyk
For the record, I think

is an imitation of Mario, a la, "Itsa me! I'ma gonna win"
Actually it was a twist from Cannonball Run, I believe "Whatsa behind me, she's not important!", but thanks for playing. Johnny, tell him what prizes he could have won...
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 10-08-05, 09:28 PM
dobber
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Interesting commentary coming from a cutter who can't even spell his name correctly
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
Old 10-08-05, 09:41 PM
solo
here

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
Mine weren't, but they were brother and sister for years before I was born, do I get points for that?
Points, no, but perhaps extra toes.
Old 10-09-05, 03:29 AM
heckflosse
EARTH IS FULL. GO HOME.

Bikes: Jeep Cherokee-se, Euro Eco-bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"thieft"

What's Geez mean?
Old 10-09-05, 03:45 AM
gudel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
folder? i guess you answered your own question.
Old 10-09-05, 04:02 AM
Brian

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
There's a valid point to be made here. There was a recent thread regarding a newspaper editorial that painted an unkind picture of cyclists. One of the least literate members of the A&S forums contacted the writer by email, expressing his opinions in his own form of woefully poor grammar. Several of us agreed that we could not have chosen a worse spokesperson. The writer dismissed the forum member as a nut-job, partially based on the difficulty of understanding what he was trying to communicate. So let's view this as an opportunity for a constructive dialogue.

We all make tpyos once in a while. Happens to everyone. But how many of us dismiss the comments made by other members when their posts are barely legible? If someone has problems with basic spelling and punctuation, not to mention sentence structure, does this affect how you view their comments?

By the way, that was intentional, ok?
Old 10-09-05, 04:13 AM
KrisPistofferson
Immoderator

Bikes: Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
In my opinion, when someone opens their mouth and says something stupid, it's excusable unless it's on a regular basis. It's a different story when one is writing, however, because there is plenty of time to proofread and spellcheck, so really, if your posts look like crap, you're either dumb, lazy or both. Don't mean to sound harsh, and I know a lot of people are like "OMG, punk rawk, I don't give a **** what anybody thinks," but the truth is, if you consistently make childish spelling typoes, people are gonna think it's a child posting them. It doesn't have to look like your doctorate thesis, but it would behoove you to make it look like an adult human wrote it, dig?
Old 10-09-05, 04:20 AM
Daily Commute
Ride the Road

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check; hard tail MTB

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Placid Casual
How, precisely, does one post "on" a "folder"? Don't you mean in this forum, my pedantic friend? Also, according to what definition of literacy is it considered "literate" to end a sentence with two question marks?
If you're going to criticize style and grammar, you'd better be perfect yourself.

We all make the occasional type-o. We should just accept that as part of the conversational nature of this forum. On the other hand, there have been a few posts so full of mistakes that they were difficult to read. It shows a basic lack of courtesy to post something that's so poorly written that it's nearly impossible to read.
Old 10-09-05, 04:52 AM
Nicodemus
Feral Member

Bikes: yes, I have one.

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"thieft"

I'm with you, Dave.

Originally Posted by tippy
Be careful about nit-picking peoples "faults" on this NG. You will get absolutely no sympathy (speaking from experience). People are not illiterate, they are lazy and if their message is spelled close enough to get the message across then it's OK with them. Typically, the attitude is this, if you try to spell check posters, you are considered "stubborn, self-righteous, and unable to understand others' opinions". Consider yourself lucky enough to recognize words that are misspelled and then let it be. They ain't gonna change for you. Live and let live.

d.tipton
^^And that's why I generally don't make a big deal of it.

People think that because they're giving free advice they don't have to make an effort.
Others are just lazy, and don't want to give language the respect it deserves.
Others seem to think that because "you get the message anyway", it's not important how well it's written.
And yet others will retort to a thread about illiteracy by nitpicking the OP.
"Pedant" is far too easy a label to slap on anyone who complains about lazy, sometimes atrocious grammar and spelling.

I have now gotten to the state where sometimes I see the correct version of something, and I have to re-read because I'm so used to it being wrong that I have to think about it. That's just wrong!

Mind you, Dave, have you ever checked out some of the gaming forums? Now *that's* scary

Last edited by Nicodemus; 10-09-05 at 04:57 AM.
Old 10-09-05, 04:54 AM
Nicodemus
Feral Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, moderator, wherever you are, wouldn't this thread be better moved to General, or Foo?
Old 10-09-05, 06:20 AM
mirona
I can't find my pants

Bikes: 07 Specialized Langster Comp,06 Kona King Zing, 06 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc; 03 LOOK KG461;(destroyed by suv); 85 Panasonic Team America; 73 Peugeot U0-8; 94 Balance Super B BMX; 04 Diamondback Outlook MTB, Diamondback DBR DH

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by krispistoferson
...if you consistently make childish spelling typoes, people are gonna think it's a child posting them.
Yea, but if you make ONE typo (OMG, should I have made that all caps? What will people think of me?) or grammar mistake, people still jump down your throat. Posters get way too anal when it comes to spelling here.
Old 10-09-05, 06:28 AM
KrisPistofferson
Immoderator

Bikes: Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mirona
Yea, but if you make ONE typo (OMG, should I have made that all caps? What will people think of me?) or grammar mistake, people still jump down your throat. Posters get way too anal when it comes to spelling here.
Yeah, I'll agree with that.
Old 10-09-05, 06:52 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Others seem to think that because "you get the message anyway",
Hmm!

I believe that should be:

Others seem to think that because "you get the message anyway,"

The point being that we all make mistakes. It took me a long time to not worry about spelling and grammar. Now I concentrate on what the person is trying to communicate, no matter how obfuscated the message may be.

But, I do object to the common spelling mistake, often used by those correcting other's grammar, of stating, "That grammer is wrong," or similar statements. That really gets to me. At least they should know enough to spell grammar correctly, if they are going to criticize someone else's grammar!

Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-09-05 at 06:59 AM.
Old 10-09-05, 07:01 AM
ctyler
Badger Biker

Bikes: Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No, people just can't type.
Old 10-09-05, 11:07 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
You've stepped into a losing battle. It took me years to learn to ignore bad grammar and spelling.

One problem that I've noticed is that many of the people who are the worst offenders, and who will say "Lighten up, you're just being a pain, you know what I meant!" seem to function a little differently when it comes to language. I think some of us function more aurally, others more literally. When someone has written a piece of text with a misused homonym, or an improperly placed hyphen or something like that, when read aloud it SOUNDS fine. I think some people mentally convert the writing into subvocalized speech as they're reading, and they're "listening" to that rather than directly reading. For them, homonyms and such are not a problem.

I personally read directly, and when I hit a misuse such as that, it's like a train wreck in my thought flow. I think people who do not subvocalize what they're reading generally read faster and perhaps with better understanding (after all, some meaning is lost in the process of vocalizing). But if the prose is not gramatically correct, it can derail your brain. Then you have to stop, back up, re-read the sentence a few times, untangle the grammar, and try to figure out what the writer actually meant. It's really a PITA.

So to the writer, and to people who think like that, it does seem that the complainers are being ridiculous and pedantic, and they probably can't even really understand what the problem is. But to those complaining, there is a real issue; rather than a clear transfer of ideas from one person to another as we're used to, we're presented with a tangled pile of rope with ideas tied to it, and we have to untangle it before really being sure that we understand the original intent.

So I've given up on worrying about it. I think there are two types of people, one thinks literally and expects to receive a carefully crafted piece of communications that unambigously relates the authors intent; the other kind thinks aurally and when they receive written or aural communications, they just toss the ideas into a heap and assume that whatever their brain makes of the heap is probably what the author intended. I have seen a lot of misunderstandings result from the latter thought process. They think they know what the author meant, but I don't think they can ever be sure of it. Nor can another person really be sure of it when reading THEIR writing.

Similarly, some people have used computers and forums such as this as an opportunity to spend minutes or even hours to write thoughtful and edited ideas and responses. But it seems that most people have used the same facilities to slap stuff out practically without thinking about it. I think many posts are made with less thought than a spoken remark at a party.

However, I don't think you'll ever get someone from camp B to join camp A.

I know this seems elitist. Sorry, I'm just presenting my ideas :->
Old 10-09-05, 11:16 AM
Nicodemus
Feral Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nicely presented.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.