Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tire (not rim) has a hop

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Tire (not rim) has a hop

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-05, 11:59 AM
robo

Bikes: 1990 Burley Bossa Nova, 1992 Paramount PDG-70, 1993 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2005 Jamis Dakar XC Pro, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Tire (not rim) has a hop

maybe i'm over-sensitive to this because i've been eying my newly built wheels for wobble, but i've noticed that my tires both have a 1.5mm hop in them. They are relatively cheap but tough IRC Metro kevlar belted tires with wire beads. There is a spot on each tire that rises about 1.5mm higher than the rest of the tire.. it looks like the rim has a major hop, but the rim is true.

Is this normal? The tires are almost new, and a checked to make sure they were mounted properly.
Old 10-08-05, 12:09 PM
DannoXYZ 

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Tube's probably pinched between the tyre and rim. Let out all most of the pressure and pull the tyre sideways so you can see down the inside edge of the time. Work your way around the entire circumference and check for the tube being caught. Pushing up on the valve-stem before inflating helps as well.
Old 10-08-05, 12:29 PM
robo

Bikes: 1990 Burley Bossa Nova, 1992 Paramount PDG-70, 1993 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2005 Jamis Dakar XC Pro, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
^^ As i said, i checked that and it was fine. The tires are also at at least 65psi, so if the tube _was_ pinched, something dramatic would probably have happened...
Old 10-08-05, 03:16 PM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Defective tires.
Old 10-08-05, 08:01 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Does the high spot happen to be opposite the valve stem? If so, that's common. Try this:

1. Let most of the air out of the tire.
2. Push the valve stem in toward the hub.
3. Reinflate the tire.

Sometimes the tire beads get pushed up by the thick part of the tube adjacent to the valve stem. When that happens, the nice round tire is pushed so that it isn't concentric with the rim. The high spot will be exactly opposite the valve stem.
Old 10-08-05, 08:39 PM
Dave Stohler
60mph in the 42 ring!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think you should either stop measuring your tires with a micrometer and just ride the blasted thing, or else go out and buy better tires.
Old 10-08-05, 08:52 PM
robo

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Stohler
I think you should either stop measuring your tires with a micrometer and just ride the blasted thing, or else go out and buy better tires.

Heh.. probably good advice.
Old 10-08-05, 09:35 PM
robo

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Does the high spot happen to be opposite the valve stem? If so, that's common. Try this:

1. Let most of the air out of the tire.
2. Push the valve stem in toward the hub.
3. Reinflate the tire.

Sometimes the tire beads get pushed up by the thick part of the tube adjacent to the valve stem. When that happens, the nice round tire is pushed so that it isn't concentric with the rim. The high spot will be exactly opposite the valve stem.
Nope. the high spot is in some other part of the tire. I think maybe they're just cheap tires.
Old 10-08-05, 11:02 PM
duane041
Junk Collector

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 2012 Colnago M10, 1990 Schwinn CrissCross

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by robo
maybe i'm over-sensitive to this because i've been eying my newly built wheels for wobble, but i've noticed that my tires both have a 1.5mm hop in them. They are relatively cheap but tough IRC Metro kevlar belted tires with wire beads. There is a spot on each tire that rises about 1.5mm higher than the rest of the tire.. it looks like the rim has a major hop, but the rim is true.

Is this normal? The tires are almost new, and a checked to make sure they were mounted properly.
Had a much more severe hop in one of my tires recently. It was on an old Continental, and the tires were Schwinns, and it just wouldn't stop, no matter what I tried. Eventually went to my trusty lbs, and when I told them what was going on, one of the guys got a big smile and went to the shop area. Returns with an old Park tool designed to pull up on tires that wouldn't 'seat' properly, no matter what you tried. The tool looked like a pair of slip joints with some curved metal welded onto the jaws. He grabbed the tire with these things and gently 'coerced' the tire to seat properly. Amazingly, it worked perfectly.