Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Where Did You Ride or Walk Today?

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Where Did You Ride or Walk Today?

Old 09-14-15, 10:20 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
So after doing a 12.3 km walking week in my previous post, the next week I upped it to 19.55 km, and last week I reached 20.1 km.

Mostly utility walking as usual. I haven't had much time to go for recreational walks, although I did do a little bit last weekend. A couple beautiful walks on the beaches up the east coast.
Last week ... 23.5 km walking. That's better. And that brought me to 725 km of walking for the year.

Plus I climbed the most stairs in a week I've ever done ... 135 flights. The ol' quads were aching a bit by Friday.

Last weekend was also a good weekend for cycling. We hadn't done much in the last few weeks ... mainly just inside on the trainer. But this past weekend we covered 70 km outside. And the weather was finally beautiful!!

It did feel good to be out again ... with the daffodils coming up and non-native trees coming into leaf. There were more birds singing than I've heard in a while, and nice warm winds gusting about.
Old 09-15-15, 07:17 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Sunday I walked more than six miles in two hours--quite a bit faster and farther than I'm used to. Of course, sore legs for two days after. I'm glad that I am able to walk more. The family car broke down just when I had three doctor appointments in the week. I've been able to walk to all. Also, we're in the Last Hurrah of Summer with sunny days and temps in the 80s--which probably won't be seen again for six or seven months.

Glorious!!!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 09-16-15, 05:56 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
My mileage has been way down, due to my desire to stick close to my wife during her post-op recovery.

On a positive note, we finally joined the local gym and she put in 15 minutes on the recumbent bike . I opted for the stationary bike next to her (I'll probably hit the weights next time).
Old 09-16-15, 06:03 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by no1mad
My mileage has been way down, due to my desire to stick close to my wife during her post-op recovery.

On a positive note, we finally joined the local gym and she put in 15 minutes on the recumbent bike . I opted for the stationary bike next to her (I'll probably hit the weights next time).

That's one reason Rowan and I enjoyed going to the gym ... we could be there together, but we could each do our own thing.
Old 09-18-15, 01:01 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

This week there were walks to and from university ... part of my work commute ... to the library ... to the metro shop to top up my Greencard ... shopping ... and window shopping.
Old 09-18-15, 01:56 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

I had eight days off in a row, with many waqlks in that time. I'll just mention the coolest one.

I walked downtown (1 1/2 miles) to meet my 16 year old grandson after school at a restaurant we both like. Before, I had always walked to the school to pick him up, then we walked downtown together. But this time, he was walking there on his own. We were like two adult friends meeting someplace for coffee.

used to I got there first. As I sat waiting for him, I reminisced about the many times we walked together, and how he would put his little hand in mine when we crossed the big streets. That was probably seven or eight years ago, but it seemed like yesterday. I had my glasses off, vision kind of blurry, and looked up to see a big man, about 6'4", walking toward where I was sitting. With a start, I realized that this big tall man was my grandson. I had been so wrapped up in thinking about him as a little kid holding my hand, that I was stunned for a minute to see him as the big man he has become.

Anyway, the passage of time is a weird thing. We had nice coffee and treats, and a nice walk home together.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 09-18-15, 07:18 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

A daily walk 'can add seven years to your life'

A daily walk 'can add seven years to your life' - Health News - Health & Families - The Independent
Old 09-21-15, 09:10 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

So ... I walked this morning ... and at lunch to run some errands ...

How about you?
Old 09-24-15, 06:14 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
As noted earlier, my walking has been curtailed rather severly (practically non-exisitent ) and it may not be changing any time soon (unexpectedly house hunting).

However, the time in the pool has gone up .
Old 09-25-15, 07:07 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

The weather here has been glorious; we're in the midst of a long spell of summer days, but with the cool nights of autumn.

Today I had my kids drop me off while they were driving out for errands, so I would get a change of scenery. I walked along the banks of two of our three rivers, and meditated in a forest of huge beech and hickory trees--all just 3 or 4 miles from the downtown bustle. This isn't real wilderness, but almost as good without a long trip to get there. I walked for 90 minutes, hopped on a bus for ten minutes, then walked the last 30 minutes home. It was a fantastic afternoon after 6 days of stressful 12 hour midnight shifts.

I had forgotten about the great combination of walking and busing to cover distance cheaply and carfree, and will do more of the same in the near future.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 09-27-15, 06:35 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Saturday -- Rowan and I did a 48.65 km bicycle ride today, from home. A hilly ride. According to Rowan's newest toy, our route climbed 937 metres. According to the formula: (937/48650)*100 = 1.93 or in other words, for me ... very hilly. I've been handling 1.2 maybe 1.3 rides OK, but this is a bit of a step up from that.

The other thing about this route is that if I were commuting to work, this would be the route I would ride. Riding it today reconfirmed why I take the bus!! Nice to know that I can do it ... but it is challenging and would be time consuming.

The day was overcast and chilly, and we ended up in a couple showers toward the end. One was on quite a steep descent which was a little alarming.

This week, I got a new merino jersey, and I wore that ... very comfortable. Almost tempting to get another. But I also wore my Ground Effect waterproof-breathable jacket. I had gained a bit of weight over the last couple years, and could no longer zip it up. However, about 2 months ago, I started focusing on weight-loss and as of today, I've lost 10 kg ... and I can wear my Ground Effect jacket again.

Rowan did the ride on his Merlin. First time he has ridden the Merlin in a long time, but he wanted to ride it again ... in memory of coasting, a Road forum friend who passed away a few days ago.
We did almost the same ride as the one above on Saturday, just a little bit shorter. Again, it was from home and the same route I would use if I were to commute to work by bicycle. However, after arriving at the place I work, this time we took a different route, exploring different things in town. Then we returned the same way as we did last time.

As I recall, last time it took quite a while for me to get up and over the hill into town. This time we clocked it at 1 hour from home to work.

On the one hand, 1 hour is more than I prefer for a bicycle commute ... but on the other hand, my bus commute from door to door takes a minimum of 40 minutes, more frequently about 50 minutes, and occasionally over an hour. So ... I guess 1 hour for a bicycle commute really isn't too bad.

I am now entertaining the idea of commuting by bicycle on occasion.

Saturday -- 43.5 km with 852 metres of climbing ... a strenuous 1.9 ride!! (852/43500 *100).

We cycled from home into the city, up to the Cascade Brewery to have a look, and back home again.

It was a lovely day ... sunny and a high of 17 with lots of spring leaves and blossoms.
Old 09-27-15, 08:41 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

I am now entertaining the idea of commuting by bicycle on occasion.
That's fantastic. The bus is nice, but nothing beats a bike commute, even if it's only once a week or once in a blue moon.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 09-29-15, 12:33 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I biked to Dallas and caught buses to work in Stayton. The bus back to Salem from here has been running consistantly so late that I can't catch the express bus back to Dallas so I have been driving when I work here, but yesterday I planned out this route and I'll just ride all the way home from here. I'll take off an hour or so early in case I can't match Google's guestimate time for the ride:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/930+...44.8652732!3e1

That's pretty close to my motorcycle ride home, and every time this summer I've motorcycled it, I've wished I was on my bicycle. So. This will give me about 52 miles total for my 52nd birthday.
Old 09-29-15, 01:35 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

I notice that this is the time of year when things fall out of the sky. I got whacked in the head by a walnut, a bunch of flying seeds got in my mouth, and a big dead bug fell behind my glasses. Maybe this is why they call it fall?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 09-30-15, 10:08 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

I'm up to 770 km walking, with three months to go.

On average, that's 85.5 km/month, and if I can keep it up, I'll be over 1000 km walking for the year.

Most of that has been utility walking ... if I had to guess, probably 2/3 utility walking and 1/3 recreational walking.

Yesterday was a good mix.

5 km was utility walking - commuting between home, university and work - and 3.8 km was recreational walking down to the beach on a beautiful evening.
Old 10-01-15, 12:50 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by Roody
I notice that this is the time of year when things fall out of the sky. I got whacked in the head by a walnut, a bunch of flying seeds got in my mouth, and a big dead bug fell behind my glasses. Maybe this is why they call it fall?
And now the temperatures have fallen more than 20 degrees in 24 hours. Another reason to call it fall?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 10-01-15, 04:44 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
I don't want to ask what happens to you in the spring.
Old 10-02-15, 11:49 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by 2manybikes
i don't want to ask what happens to you in the spring.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 10-08-15, 07:11 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

I'm over 800 km walking for the year now.
Plus, since the beginning of September, I've climbed over 700 flights of stairs.
Old 10-13-15, 07:39 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

The week is only half over and I'm already up to 16.5 km walking

Mon - 3.1 km
Tues - 8.4 km
Wed - 5 km ... so far

Rowan and I have been walking to the beach after work more often lately. That's been a really nice addition to the walking totals. I enjoy listening to and watching the waves as we walk.

My usual commutes to and from work and between work and uni are included in those amounts.

And on both Monday and Tuesday, I decided to just go for a walk at lunch rather than running errands. You can actually cover a reasonable distance in a 1-hour lunch break.

Of course, we're cycling regularly on the weekends, and are planning to cycle some evenings as well, now that we have daylight to do so again.
Old 10-14-15, 06:16 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

I ended up walking 8.8 km today because Rowan and I went for a walk along the beach.

And some roses from our garden ... I was wandering around the yard when we returned to see what was in bloom ...

Old 10-15-15, 03:38 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Today, I walked about 3.1 km commuting and then from the university ... where I had my last class of the semester!! (woo-hoo!!) ... to the road where I catch my bus.

It was a gorgeously hot day ... 31C!

Then Rowan and I walked to the beach and back (2.9 km). The temperature dropped to 15 ... so our hot spell didn't last long ... but it was still a lovely walk.

And then I lifted weights.

Last edited by Machka; 10-15-15 at 04:05 AM.
Old 10-17-15, 06:12 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

An extremely windy 100 km ride today ...

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...r-17-18-a.html
Old 10-18-15, 06:17 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

The last couple weeks have been really good ones for walking ...

31.3 km on the week ending the 10th of October
34.2 km on the week ending the 17th of October

I've been walking during the day as usual + walking after work.

This week, however, may have a little less walking and a little more cycling.
Old 10-18-15, 08:38 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I actually got to walk a few miles today (~7). Wife's back is bothering her something fierce and her Chiro wants her in bed until we can get her in tomorrow, so I had to hike down to the Walgreen's to get her a back brace.

Even though I haven't been racking up the miles like I used to since my wife has been recovering from her surgery, I have been go for smaller walks to the store, my mom's, or to check the progress of the place we're moving to.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.