Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wide vs Less Wide Tires, Another View

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Wide vs Less Wide Tires, Another View

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-17, 07:18 AM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
One thing I have often wondered regarding drumtesting is how well they represent reality. For one, as have been noted, their surface does not represent real roads well, second the drum pulls the wheel at a steady pace. > No real power transfer through the wheel/tyre outside of whatever power i required to spin the wheel, similar to coasting. > Would the results be any different if in stead the wheel pulled the drum at, say, an average of 200w and would it affect if the results if power was pulsed like a real pedalling motion. Im betting everybody on the forums have heard the "swish, swish, swish, ..." from a road bike tyre going at decent power. That is not accounted for.
Drum testing is only meant to measure Crr. It's been shown that relative performance of tires is the same as with road testing up to the point where the tire is unable to follow the road surface. The othe things you mention either don't affect Crr or are unrelated to it.
Old 09-13-17, 07:58 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
Drum testing is only meant to measure Crr. It's been shown that relative performance of tires is the same as with road testing up to the point where the tire is unable to follow the road surface. The othe things you mention either don't affect Crr or are unrelated to it.
It may be unrelated to Crr, but I was hinting that not accounting for power transfer through the tyre, may skew the test. IE the best testing tyre may not be the best real world performer. I dunno, just putting it out there
Old 09-13-17, 08:34 AM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Some facts:

Tires at the same psi will have the same area contact patch. This is basic physics. Pounds per square inch, multiplied by the area of contact, gives you the weight the tire is supporting.

Larger tires at the same psi as smaller tires give less rolling resistance. Rolling resistance is proportional to the circumference of the tire contact patch. For the same area contact patch, the smallest circumference of that contact patch is a circle. Larger tires have a more circular contact patch than smaller tires, so larger tires give less rolling resistance.

On a perfectly smooth surface, higher psi inflation gives less rolling resistance by decreasing the contact patch area, thus decreasing the contact patch circumference. A marble will roll longer on a wood floor than a bouncy ball.

Why have small tires? Because smaller tires can support higher tire pressures. Higher pressures on smooth surfaces give low drag.

Why have larger tires? Because larger tires can support lower tire pressures. Lower pressures on rough surfaces give low drag (suspension effect).

Small tires have minimum pressures due to the carcass deflection leading to pinch flats. Larger tires have maximum pressures due to the tension force on the carcass tearing it apart or blowing a clincher tire off the rim.

If you are riding a smooth velodrome, small tires (19mm is most common) at very high pressures are best (most are 160-200psi). If you are riding very rough roads (cobbles/gravel, for instance, or off-road cyclocross/mountain biking), large tires (30mm+) at low pressures are required (most are 30-60psi). In between is in between... hence the popularity of the 23 and 25mm road cycling sizes. You can still inflate to moderately high pressures of 100-120psi, but you can maintain some suspension effect.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 09-13-17, 09:46 AM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
It may be unrelated to Crr, but I was hinting that not accounting for power transfer through the tyre, may skew the test. IE the best testing tyre may not be the best real world performer. I dunno, just putting it out there
That's beyond the scope of Crr testing. Your questions relate to the kinetic model which as I've said has been validated repeatedly.
Old 09-13-17, 09:48 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
Some facts:

Tires at the same psi will have the same area contact patch. This is basic physics. Pounds per square inch, multiplied by the area of contact, gives you the weight the tire is supporting.
That is neglecting any hysteresis from different casing, rubber (and gas) and speed/rate of deformation. Car run-flats get a bit taller at speed. Just looking, I can see the cheap stiff tires hold the bike up with no PSI while the supple ones are flat. At 5PSI they's be different too.

Last edited by Doge; 09-13-17 at 09:51 AM.
Old 09-13-17, 10:03 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Some facts:

Larger tires at the same psi as smaller tires give less rolling resistance. Rolling resistance is proportional to the circumference of the tire contact patch. For the same area contact patch, the smallest circumference of that contact patch is a circle. Larger tires have a more circular contact patch than smaller tires, so larger tires give less rolling resistance.

On a perfectly smooth surface, higher psi inflation gives less rolling resistance by decreasing the contact patch area, thus decreasing the contact patch circumference. A marble will roll longer on a wood floor than a bouncy ball.

Why have small tires? Because smaller tires can support higher tire pressures. Higher pressures on smooth surfaces give low drag.

Why have larger tires? Because larger tires can support lower tire pressures. Lower pressures on rough surfaces give low drag (suspension effect).

Small tires have minimum pressures due to the carcass deflection leading to pinch flats. Larger tires have maximum pressures due to the tension force on the carcass tearing it apart or blowing a clincher tire off the rim.

If you are riding a smooth velodrome, small tires (19mm is most common) at very high pressures are best (most are 160-200psi). If you are riding very rough roads (cobbles/gravel, for instance, or off-road cyclocross/mountain biking), large tires (30mm+) at low pressures are required (most are 30-60psi). In between is in between... hence the popularity of the 23 and 25mm road cycling sizes. You can still inflate to moderately high pressures of 100-120psi, but you can maintain some suspension effect.

Thanks, that's helpful
Old 09-13-17, 10:08 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Some facts:

Great post and well said.
Old 09-13-17, 10:50 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 116 Posts
Except his first point is demonstrably wrong, as proven by anyone who has a floor pump, a caliper and two tires with different casing stiffness.

But don't let reality get in the way of a good first principles lecture.
Old 09-13-17, 10:50 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Great post and well said.
Whew...glad we resolved that before my commute home this afternoon.
Old 09-13-17, 10:51 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
Except his first point is demonstrably wrong, as proven by anyone who has a floor pump, a caliper and two tires with different casing stiffness.

He wrote a lot so it must be right. Plus he said "Fact."
Old 09-13-17, 11:02 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts

Yes and no....

Depends on how you truly define PSI...'pounds per square inch.' Are we talking about purely air pressure on the inside of the tire, or are we more concerned about the force the outside of the tire exerts on the ground in total? Which can also be measured, just not as easily as sticking a gauge on the valve.

If bike and rider weigh 200 lbs, and you have a 2 inches square contact patch, the tire is exerting 100 psi against the road. There's no way around this, and holds true 100%.
Old 09-13-17, 11:21 AM
Spoonrobot 

Oh come now you know he meant the air pressure inside the tire. He just wanted to lecture, anyone who says "This is basic physics" is looking to elevate themselves first and foremost and not contribute to the general knowledge base.
Old 09-13-17, 11:43 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts

Even worse, your FLO Cycling link shows different contact patch areas with the same tire at the same pressure (different rim width).

Reality is a hassle sometimes...
Old 09-13-17, 11:48 AM
Brian Ratliff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
That is neglecting any hysteresis from different casing, rubber (and gas) and speed/rate of deformation. Car run-flats get a bit taller at speed. Just looking, I can see the cheap stiff tires hold the bike up with no PSI while the supple ones are flat. At 5PSI they's be different too.
Yes, the casing supports some weight. Pretty negligible in the case of a bicycle tire. Bicycles do not go very fast in the scheme of things and tires, even the heaviest duty casings, are very flexible compared to steel belted car tires.

Don't generalize. Numbers. Calculate these values and show they are significant to make your argument. Don't just wave your hands around. If you need to justify an argument for first order principles (rolling resistance) with second order effect (tire casing) you've already lost. Obviously I can make a large tire and a small tire with the same casing materials and buildup.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 09-13-17, 11:52 AM
Brian Ratliff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I can always make a large tire and a small tire from the same casing. Most tires come in different widths made from the same casing.
Old 09-13-17, 11:54 AM
Brian Ratliff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Even worse, your FLO Cycling link shows different contact patch areas with the same tire at the same pressure (different rim width).

Reality is a hassle sometimes...

I can always put the large tire and the small tire on the same rim. I do this a lot.
Old 09-13-17, 11:56 AM
Brian Ratliff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Oh come now you know he meant the air pressure inside the tire. He just wanted to lecture, anyone who says "This is basic physics" is looking to elevate themselves first and foremost and not contribute to the general knowledge base.
I lecture on basic physics when I see people clearly getting the physics wrong. This is all basic stuff; any permutation can be done on both large and small width tires to cancel the effect.
Old 09-13-17, 12:05 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Yes, the casing supports some weight. Pretty negligible in the case of a bicycle tire. Bicycles do not go very fast in the scheme of things and tires, even the heaviest duty casings, are very flexible compared to steel belted car tires.

Don't generalize. Numbers. Calculate these values and show they are significant to make your argument. Don't just wave your hands around. If you need to justify an argument for first order principles (rolling resistance) with second order effect (tire casing) you've already lost. Obviously I can make a large tire and a small tire with the same casing materials and buildup.
Pretty hard to measure hysteresis effect.I don't know how I or others could calculate the contact patch at 30mph on different tires. So I'll wave my arms.
Two tires of the same dimensions and PSI feel very different at speed, esp speed on rollers.

Last edited by Doge; 09-13-17 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-13-17, 12:20 PM
Spoonrobot 

I lecture on basic physics when I see people clearly getting the physics wrong. This is all basic stuff; any permutation can be done on both large and small width tires to cancel the effect.
So you contend that two tires of the same width at the same pressure on the same rim using the same style tube but with vastly different casing stiffness will have the same contact patch?

This sounds a lot like "who are you going to trust, me or your lying eyes?"

I can tell you don't have a lot of experience off-road or with tubeless tires.

I don't know how I or others could calculate the contact patch at 30mph on different tires.
I've messed with using high-speed and high-resolution camera to capture tire height and back into contact patch from comparison to a static contact patch measurement but I never felt confident I was getting a good repeatable measurement from the camera. Partially due to how rigid the mount was and partially due to how I was writing the software.

Last edited by Spoonrobot; 09-13-17 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-13-17, 12:30 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts

True. On bikes with cast iron tyres the air pressure inside the tyre is insignificant ;-)
Old 09-13-17, 12:38 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by Aubergine
Here are a couple pretty experienced people.

https://cyclingtips.com/2016/08/cycl...and-pressures/
hey thanks for this - this was really interesting & helpful!
Old 09-13-17, 01:47 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,453 Times in 1,430 Posts
So you contend that two tires of the same width at the same pressure on the same rim using the same style tube but with vastly different casing stiffness will have the same contact patch?
I believe the areas of the contact patches will be the same, though the shapes will be different. The tire with the stiffer sidewall, I imagine, will have a narrower patch because the sidewalls are stiffer, and as a result, the patch will be longer (front to back).

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-13-17, 01:52 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I believe the areas of the contact patches will be the same, though the shapes will be different. The tire with the stiffer sidewall, I imagine, will have a narrower patch because the sidewalls are stiffer, and as a result, the patch will be longer (front to back).
I agree, except there can be a slight difference in area also if one tire is stiffer. Think of a solid rubber tire with aquarium size air tube in the middle, small contact area. But this is limited by how much weight the un-inflated tire can hold up without collapsing, so I don't imagine that it's very much. Perhaps not even measurable with normal bike tires.
Old 09-13-17, 02:12 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
It seems the discussion wider is better leaves out an important consideration. Weight. I'm never riding a constant speed. I'm always going up and down hills so I am constantly having to accelerate to get back to speed. So just because a wide tire might roll with less resistance it does not necessarily overcome it's disadvantage of using more of my energy because it is heavier. Mass in rotation takes more energy to accelerate than mass going in a linear direction.

But neither am I on the side of skinny tires either. I'm just saying there is a factor left out that is one of many other factors that need to be compromised on. There is no one right answer.
Old 09-13-17, 02:15 PM
Brian Ratliff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I agree, except there can be a slight difference in area also if one tire is stiffer. Think of a solid rubber tire with aquarium size air tube in the middle, small contact area. But this is limited by how much weight the un-inflated tire can hold up without collapsing, so I don't imagine that it's very much. Perhaps not even measurable with normal bike tires.
It's not going to be a lot. How much can an uninflated tire support? A fully inflated tire supports ~100lbs (half of an 180lb person with a 20lb bike). The number of pounds an uninflated tire can support divided by 100lbs is the percentage the sidewall stiffness will contribute to the tire contact patch. It's probably on the order of a pound or two, maybe up to 3, which will put the effect on the order of 1-3%. A standard clincher can usually support its own weight, and tire plus innertube can maybe support a front wheel (call it 1.5lbs). A super heavy duty tire plus tube might support a heavy rear wheel, so call that ~3lbs.

Last edited by Brian Ratliff; 09-13-17 at 02:18 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.