Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

95% Of Our Lives Spent Indoors

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

95% Of Our Lives Spent Indoors

Old 05-07-18, 10:35 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Mobile 155 (is that a reference to elf-propelled artillery? The Long Tom or the Paladin?) has it more right I think.

People invent “rights” to do all kinds of stuff … but if you are in the middle of the ocean, you have no “Right to Life.” Swim, or drown. If you feel your “rights” are being violated … cry in self-pity or shout with outrage as you drown.

I will save my energy for swimming.

No one has a “right” to clean air, or clean water, or enough food, or even life. What we mean by those supposed “fundamental rights” outlined in the Constitution (that’s the U.S. Constitution, for you foreigners from Maple Syrupville ) are simply things the Founders stole from Europen Enlightenment philosphers like John Locke (I hear) and which they Founders believed no Government should be able to legally take away without Due process (life, liberty, and property were the actual “rights,” but some one of the Founding Fathers considered how handy Eminent Domain might be.)

Those “rights” were3 are remain legal fictions. They are terms of art associated with the equally fictional “Social Contract” which none of us have ever read or signed.

Lots of smart people have discussed, described, invented “rights.” The UN has a Bill of Rights which includes food, shelter, and education … where did those ‘rights” come from?

They just used the familiar term, “rights,” to describe things they found desirable. “Desires” didn’t sound so compelling, but “rights” carried weight.

You have no right to anything you don’t have, and only for so long as you have it—in reality. In jurisprudence, which is a fictional world which only vaguely rests on the real world, (as Cooker notes) one’s rights do no tend where object meets nose … because air and water pollution are ubiquitous. Polluted water ends up in all our plants, which means it is in all our foods 9which makes the whole notion of “organic” a little comical.)

Yes … if you don’t like the polluted air in a city, move.

But I really don’t want to hear Any More Whining about the choices people have to make. Part of being an adult is realizing that the world demands Constant compromise, and dealing with it. If you cannot … go away and come back when you are grown.

For one thing … we Share this world, with people who hate us and don’t care about us and don’t know about us and a very few who think like us—in a few waysm, and disagree in others.

When I hear a person talking about compromise and the cost of choice, I hear an infant whining because s/he cannot get Everything the way he or she wants it. Guess what? None Of Us Can.

Be glad, too, because some people probably want you dead. And some other definitely want to enslaved.

Life demands hard choices and sometimes isn’t fun? Someone had to go to college to learn that? All I had to do was look at TV and see starving kids in Africa, dying in front of us. Their parents sit there, holding the dying kids, Knowing they kids are going to die. Nothing they can do,… too weak to walk to food, n0 one around to help.

Didn’t take much to realize that life could demand harsh choices.

But people who have almost everything and complain because they only have 94 percent … so?

Get off your butt and learn to organize. Learn to work the political realm, or learn to work philanthropists. Or both.

The people who Really wanted to get stuff changed, devoted their lives to it … and a very few made a visible difference, and a Whole lot more lived, labored, and died just moving the whole show a little bit closer to a place where that one more effort could push things past the tipping point.

Think how many people, Black and White, worked for literally Centuries to get legislation favoring racial equality passed in the U.S. The effort started before the nation was founded, continued after the 13th Amendment was ratified, and continues to this day. A Lot of people worked all their lives and saw basically no progress, knowing that massive social change takes a Loooong time.

Don’t come here and whine. You think something needs to change … get to work.

We are all Superman behind the keyboard, but we spend all our energy on long, pointless screeds on obscure websites, and feel satisfied if we produced a good one.

The next day, the world is exactly the same as the day before, because we didn’t actually do a damn thing to improve anything.

Yeah … this world is not set up to please any one individual …. So Everyone will have to accept some compromise.

If you can’t hack it, die or change things.
It was a M109 155MM self propelled gun. They didn't start calling it the Paladin till the 90s with the A6 model. My first off road vehicle.
Old 05-08-18, 02:10 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I don't think elf-propelled artillery gets very far though

I guess they could kill me by shooting Fudge Stripe cookies in my mouth.

If Ernie from Keebler is going to take you out, what a way to go.
Old 05-08-18, 03:10 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
ben & jerry's nearly killed me ... they aren't elves but still ....
Old 05-08-18, 09:59 AM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
Actually, Mobile 155 is the one who brought up rights. If as he suggested, one person's right to swing his fist ends at another person's nose (which is a bad analogy to begin with) then by his logic, one person's right to discharge diesel particulate into the air should also end at the other person's nose, but for some odd reason he doesn't see the obvious parallel.
That's a good point, but it still stinks
Old 05-09-18, 01:44 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
I don't think elf-propelled artillery gets very far though

I guess they could kill me by shooting Fudge Stripe cookies in my mouth.

If Ernie from Keebler is going to take you out, what a way to go.
You might be right, but then it would be a 107 pound Fudge Striped Cookie shot at you from 11 to 15 miles. Might be toasted as well.
Old 05-13-18, 07:45 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Chocolate is not evil, it's the BAKERY.
Old 05-14-18, 06:04 AM
tandempower

Originally Posted by Rollfast
Chocolate is not evil, it's the BAKERY.
The funny thing is that some specialty bakers are 'custom-designing' barely-sweetened sweets that reset your palate to be sensitive to much lower levels of sugar, but because they are specialty items, all the other sweets will remain packed with sugar to justify their affordability. Maybe some economics geniuses will be able to explain why it costs more to get the same ingredients with a fraction of the sugar. Maybe because it threatens pension plans with more old age payments for longer. Still, you would think health in old age would cost less than sickness.
Old 05-14-18, 06:12 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower
Maybe some economics geniuses will be able to explain why it costs more to get the same ingredients with a fraction of the sugar.
Economies of scale.
Old 05-14-18, 08:48 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3941 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 88 Posts
The funny thing is that some specialty bakers are 'custom-designing' barely-sweetened sweets that reset your palate to be sensitive to much lower levels of sugar, but because they are specialty items, all the other sweets will remain packed with sugar to justify their affordability. Maybe some economics geniuses will be able to explain why it costs more to get the same ingredients with a fraction of the sugar. Maybe because it threatens pension plans with more old age payments for longer. Still, you would think health in old age would cost less than sickness.
Because the purpose of a business is to make a profit and if people are willing to pay more for less, go for it.
Old 05-14-18, 09:47 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
Because the purpose of a business is to make a profit and if people are willing to pay more for less, go for it.
Unless the business is making cars, paving freeways, or building suburbs?
Old 05-14-18, 10:45 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3941 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Unless the business is making cars, paving freeways, or building suburbs?
No, that is exactly how those businesses behave - they look for ways to maximize profit.
Old 05-14-18, 12:20 PM
tandempower

Originally Posted by jon c.
Economies of scale.
Ok, I think I get it. So if you have three huge companies producing baked goods or snacks or treats or whatever, and they all sell huge numbers of products, then the products are cheap; but if one company makes some things that have very low sugar then they lose money because not enough people will buy the low-sugar stuff. But they make fake-sugar/sweetener products that are not more expensive (sometimes they're even cheaper than natural sugar products), so that must not hurt their business.

So this doesn't really add up. If companies can produce fake-sugar (artificially sweetened) products, then why can't they make some that are lightly sweetened without cancer-causing chemical sweeteners?
Old 05-14-18, 12:22 PM
tandempower

It's strange that more is the default and less costs extra.
Old 05-14-18, 05:48 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
So this doesn't really add up. If companies can produce fake-sugar (artificially sweetened) products, then why can't they make some that are lightly sweetened without cancer-causing chemical sweeteners?
They could, but they don't think enough people want that to make it worth the effort. Whether or not they're correct I can't say. There are products I think I'd prefer if they had less sugar,

But for many such products, the actual cost of ingredients is a pretty small fraction of the sale price. There are a lot of other costs involved in running an additional product line so adding a 'lower sugar' version would represent substantial extra cost even if the ingredients are a bit less. And there's competition for space in the retail sector, so vendors don't necessarily want to carry an additional item if the sales don't justify it. Mass marketing is most efficient if you maximize uniformity.
Old 05-14-18, 05:57 PM
tandempower

Originally Posted by jon c.
They could, but they don't think enough people want that to make it worth the effort. Whether or not they're correct I can't say. There are products I think I'd prefer if they had less sugar,

But for many such products, the actual cost of ingredients is a pretty small fraction of the sale price. There are a lot of other costs involved in running an additional product line so adding a 'lower sugar' version would represent substantial extra cost even if the ingredients are a bit less. And there's competition for space in the retail sector, so vendors don't necessarily want to carry an additional item if the sales don't justify it. Mass marketing is most efficient if you maximize uniformity.
Well, I would guess there are more people like me, who realize sugar is not good for health, and that your taste buds adjust to lower levels of sugar. I dislike artificial sweeteners. I forget which comedian made a joke about them just "sliding through you' but I suspect that' s not all they do. I recently ran into some saccharine in little pink paper sacks and I was surprised to see that stuff still exists. I hear that some sugar-substitutes are made from plants instead of chemicals nowadays, but I just don't trust them . . . nor do I see the point. Barely-sweetened treats would taste really good, like dry wine compared with sweet wine if I still drank alcohol.
Old 05-16-18, 02:13 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,467 Times in 7,308 Posts
I remember shopping in a grocery store and seeing canned vegetables. May have been peas. Same brand, but one version touted lower sodium. The lower sodium version cost more. I thought to myself "It has less of one ingredient so shouldn't it be less expensive?" But then I realized that some people will pay more for less if they think the less is better for them.
Old 05-16-18, 02:49 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I remember shopping in a grocery store and seeing canned vegetables. May have been peas. Same brand, but one version touted lower sodium. The lower sodium version cost more. I thought to myself "It has less of one ingredient so shouldn't it be less expensive?" But then I realized that some people will pay more for less if they think the less is better for them.
It also may be more costly to can quality veggies with lower salt. Salt covers up lack of taste and improves shelf life.
Old 05-16-18, 02:54 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I presume both products had the same total weight. Therefore the one with less sodium (i.e. less salt) would need to have more weight in peas. Peas are more expensive per pound than salt so it's reasonable that the less salt/more peas version would cost more. But I'd guess that the price difference was greater than justified by the difference in ingredients.
Old 05-16-18, 04:59 PM
tandempower

Originally Posted by prathmann
I presume both products had the same total weight. Therefore the one with less sodium (i.e. less salt) would need to have more weight in peas. Peas are more expensive per pound than salt so it's reasonable that the less salt/more peas version would cost more. But I'd guess that the price difference was greater than justified by the difference in ingredients.
That's true. They don't put the percentage of total serving weight next to the number of grams per serving or you'd immediately see how they're reducing the amount of product they're selling you by padding it with sugar/salt/water/etc.

Old 05-23-18, 07:07 AM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Since I started telecommuting a couple years ago I've gotten more in touch with the effect that being outdoors has on my mental state. If I'm feeling depressed or stagnant and confused about my current set of problems or choices then more and more I've learned - go outdoors. It immediately changes my whole outlook. There's something about the open environment and the big world with its Sun and wind that softens personal problems and makes it seem like there's a world of possibilities waiting to be explored. Staying inside is a downward spiral.

Scientific benefits of spending time in nature - Business Insider
Old 05-23-18, 07:12 AM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
Does being carfree force you to live an indoor life?
Why would living carfree force you to stay indoors??
Old 05-23-18, 08:42 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
Why would living carfree force you to stay indoors??
"Forced" for the same reason people who are not carfree are "forced" to stay indoors; choice or required by individual circumstances.

This so-called problem is a creation of the OP.
Old 05-25-18, 04:26 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

My time indoors is high quality. After that it's meeting older ladies while grocery shopping.
Old 05-31-18, 10:46 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
You all need to get outdoors more often. Seriously!
Old 06-01-18, 09:27 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,467 Times in 7,308 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
You all need to get outdoors more often. Seriously!
I start a two-week bike tour on Sunday. I will be outside a lot.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.