Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

How important is rear wheel braking in the winter? /using a 3 speed as a winter bike

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

How important is rear wheel braking in the winter? /using a 3 speed as a winter bike

Old 05-10-18, 11:09 AM
SeraphimF

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Asking because I'm considering getting a dedicated winter bike (my third overall ) and think an old three speed is a good candidate aside from the fact that they have steel wheels which brake horribly when wet. Ideally, since its just gonna be a total junker, I'd just want to replace the front wheel and get some better in the wet brake pads for the rear, put studded tires on it and call it a day. I'm wondering if winter riding technique somehow makes having really super secure rear brakes more important? Seems hard to imagine but I don't have much fishtailing experience. Has anyone gone a similar route with a 3 speed for winter? I see them super cheap on CL often.
Old 05-10-18, 12:23 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Nothing wrong with having a three-speed for commuting if you don't have a lot of elevation change. Lots of people commute on single-speed. But having steel rims, especially when it's wet, is not a good idea. Sure, you could probably get away with it. If you can foresee everything that is coming your and engage your brakes early enough then really, brakes are more or less superfluous, aren't they? But I sure wouldn't want to count on my foretelling skills to get through my commute. Alloy wheels are cheap, even rear ones. I'd look for one to replace the steel one.
Old 05-10-18, 03:03 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
If you're on a slippery surface, braking with the front brake is far more likely to cause you to go down than braking with the rear brake. It's not an ideal setup.
Old 05-10-18, 04:49 PM
SeraphimF

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses; steel wheels are out!
Old 05-12-18, 04:45 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
In snow and ice, and especially when descending, the rear brakes are the only brakes you should use -- even with studded tires. Steel rims are a bad. I still have memories of hitting the brakes every minute or so to keep the rims dry while cycling in Seattle.
Old 05-12-18, 04:57 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,501 Times in 3,346 Posts
Does the bike have coaster brakes?

Perhaps the rear rim brakes are redundant.
Old 05-13-18, 02:21 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Drum brake hubs (in 3,5,4&8 speed ) & coaster brakes

mean the rims can still be steel, because the braking is not at the rim.. but the hub..
Old 05-16-18, 01:46 PM
Bikewolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
I know it has been said twice already, but let me say it once more because it is such a solid tip:
the rear brakes are the ones you need to think about.

And, of course, do think beyond brakes.
Old 05-17-18, 09:50 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
dunno, I don't stop much ...
Old 05-22-18, 02:46 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7336 Post(s)
Liked 2,435 Times in 1,422 Posts
I disagree. I rarely use my rear brake on any bike, and I don't use it hard, either. The point about slipping in the wet is a fair one, and there are times when I will favor the rear brake over the front, but they are rare. That's because I ride on streets and roads mostly. When I'm on gravel and in a turn, for example, I'll favor the rear. I don't ride often when there is snow or slush on the ground, so I would be OK with crappy rear brake, but if you think you'll ride a lot on slippery surfaces, then you'll want a rear brake that works well.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-29-18, 04:44 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Above reply posted 5/22/18, 3:46 PM; it is now 5/29/18, 5:42 PM. IMO, winter is over after a one week hiatus on the Winter Cycling Forum. Time to take off the studded tires.
Old 06-30-18, 03:01 PM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
I'm interested to know more about the reasoning behind rear braking vs front braking.

There's a VERY big downhill on the way to the gym that actually I worry about taking even in warm weather. Do you also recommend rear braking in that situation?
Old 06-30-18, 05:03 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 470 Posts
Originally Posted by parkbrav
I'm interested to know more about the reasoning behind rear braking vs front braking.

There's a VERY big downhill on the way to the gym that actually I worry about taking even in warm weather. Do you also recommend rear braking in that situation?
It's all about the amount of friction you have between the tires and the road. On dry pavement in a straight line I favor the front, but when on a turn I favor the rear so that all the friction force on the front is being used to keep the steered wheel on track. The front brake provides something like 60% of your stopping power and will stop faster then using just the rear.

On wet or slick pavement same idea, I do not want the front to slip. For me once the front slips stability and controllability are greatly compromised! (As in, I slam to the ground unless I'm really on my game) However the rear does not affect steering or stability if it slides about (in a general sense, and usually any looseness can be controlled), so I use the rear especially in an emergency stop.

Things I don't need to think about for another five months!!!
Old 06-30-18, 05:40 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7336 Post(s)
Liked 2,435 Times in 1,422 Posts
I use the front brake almost exclusively. I only use the rear when traction is bad.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-02-18, 06:01 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by parkbrav

The front brake is the one that'll stop you when it really matters. Important to get comfortable on it. Straighten your line before hitting the brakes, and push back against the handlebars to offset the braking forces. Slide your butt back in the saddle -- to maintain center of gravity -- when braking hard on a downhill.
Old 07-08-18, 10:30 PM
Bikewolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Some tips in video format:

And wear a helmet, gloves ... Practice.
Old 07-12-18, 02:26 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
^^ aint even raining^^

My 30+ year old Drum brake hubs work so smoothly, I have them on my bike with the studded tires .. I use both.. brakes.. always have..

Skidding when I cannot put my foot down on anything but Ice , is to be avoided..
Old 07-21-18, 10:00 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by SeraphimF
Asking because I'm considering getting a dedicated winter bike (my third overall ) and think an old three speed is a good candidate aside from the fact that they have steel wheels which brake horribly when wet. Ideally, since its just gonna be a total junker, I'd just want to replace the front wheel and get some better in the wet brake pads for the rear, put studded tires on it and call it a day. I'm wondering if winter riding technique somehow makes having really super secure rear brakes more important? Seems hard to imagine but I don't have much fishtailing experience. Has anyone gone a similar route with a 3 speed for winter? I see them super cheap on CL often.
If it's a good 3-speed hub, e.g., Sturmey Archer AW, it's worth rebuilding onto an alloy rim. I have two wheels like that. Now, the English 3-speeds had 40 spoke rear hubs, but it's not unthinkable to find a new 40 spoke rim out there. The American bikes (Schwinn) usually had 36 spokes, but also a lot of cheap Shimano hubs that might not be worth salvaging.