Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

New Giant Anyroad 2 - LOVE IT!

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-16, 12:57 PM
GodinSession

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

Hello all.
In the past 10 years, I have bought and sold quite a few bikes in search of my perfect bike. To name a few, I've had a Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale Synapse, Trek 2100, Cannondale CAADX, Scott Sportster, Motobecane Phantom Cross, and a few different mountain bikes. For the past year, I have been bikeless, and pretty much thought I was done biking.
But, the bug bit me again, and I began looking for that one perfect bike again. I wanted something that I would be happy riding on the road, but also be able to take on rail to trails.
In my years of biking as an adult 99% of the time I am alone, so I did not care if I could keep up with a 'group'. So I began researching and was leaning towards bikes like the Trek fx.
About a week ago I popped into my local bike store and explained to the salesman what I was looking for and he immediately took me to the 'gravel grinders' section of the store. I had not heard of this new category of bikes. I was intrigued to say the least, and right of the bat the Giant Anyroad really caught my eye.
I took it for a ride and instantly knew this was exactly what I was looking for. I loved the more upgright positioning on the bike, yet it did not feel like I was on a mountain bike. It is very stable, none of the twitchiness, that can accompany some road bikes. Also it is plenty quick for my solo riding. In addition I really wanted a triple dirvetrain, and the Anyroad 2 has just that.
I live in western pa where it is very hilly. Lots of shorter steeper hills. My past few bikes had compact doubles, which were OK for me, but I always wished for a lower granny gear. This is especially true in the spring after not riding all winter.
Anyway, I think I finally found 'THE' bike for me. This thing is so comfortable and boy do I love the gearing. I see that I will spend the majority of the time in my middle chainring, and then will use the granny gears for the steeper hills. I also love to look down at the wider tire, it instills confidence.
For anyone new to riding, or just still looking for that perfect bike I highly recommend checking out the Giant Anyroad. I can confidently say this one will get ridden till the wheels fall off(and hopefully the 50 or so pounds I want to lose)!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0618.jpg (58.7 KB, 756 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0620.jpg (56.4 KB, 701 views)
Likes For GodinSession:
Old 03-14-16, 01:02 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Congrats on your new bike!

Now, I hate to be "that guy", but your saddle needs to be moved up about 6 inches (estimate may be wildly inaccurate but it definitely needs to go "up").
Old 03-14-16, 01:36 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha

Now, I hate to be "that guy", but your saddle needs to be moved up about 6 inches (estimate may be wildly inaccurate but it definitely needs to go "up").
How can you possibly know that?
Likes For Wanderer:
Old 03-14-16, 02:02 PM
GodinSession

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

Perhaps if my legs were 6 inches longer!
Old 03-14-16, 02:36 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Nice bike......I'll be the guy that says get some nice platform pedals.........
Old 03-14-16, 02:39 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Originally Posted by Wanderer
How can you possibly know that?
Because the saddle looks to be significantly below the handlebars. Maybe it's just the angle in the photo, but the bike looks set-up like a chopper.
Old 03-15-16, 10:24 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Which he also stated was something he loved about the bike, as he was more able to sit up straight!
Old 03-19-16, 05:46 PM
road1bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I still can't figure out why the preferred set up has the handle bars below seat height. Is that people are trying to look like the pros? If you are not riding for speed or time, why be bent over the front of the bike?
Likes For road1bike:
Old 03-19-16, 07:00 PM
dr_lha

Originally Posted by road1bike
I still can't figure out why the preferred set up has the handle bars below seat height. Is that people are trying to look like the pros? If you are not riding for speed or time, why be bent over the front of the bike?
It's not about looking like a pro, it's about having your bike set up correctly. If I don't set up my saddle height correctly, my knees kill me. I find the Lemond method fits me well. On almost any road style bike, that puts the saddle above the handlebars.
Old 03-23-16, 08:40 AM
G jeep

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Saddle height is saddle height. Handlebar height is handlebar height. They are independent from each other. Too many factors are involved to determine from a picture that the saddle height is too low. Age, height, weight, arm length, and torso length are variables. I'm sure I have forgot some. The flats on my road bike are level with my saddle. Drops are slightly below saddle. Works just fine and has for many years.
Likes For G jeep:
Old 03-23-16, 03:55 PM
kc0bbq

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2.0, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6, 2015 Propel Advanced SL 2, 2000 K2 Zed SE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by road1bike
Because it's the most comfortable position on some frames.
Old 03-23-16, 08:10 PM
G jeep

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It may be the fastest, but not the most comfortable. It is a pro/performance fit and is not suitable for the average rider. It is not if you eventually raise your bars but when.
Old 03-24-16, 08:18 AM
dr_lha

Originally Posted by G jeep
It may be the fastest, but not the most comfortable. It is a pro/performance fit and is not suitable for the average rider. It is not if you eventually raise your bars but when.
You are incorrect. The best fit is the best fit. A too low saddle height will mean that you're bending your knees too much, this is both inefficient (which is why "the pros" do it, why waste Watts) and bad for the joints and much tougher on your legs. When I was in my 20s I could get away with setting my saddle like on a BMX and riding. In my 40s I cannot.
Old 03-24-16, 09:13 AM
G jeep

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You are incorrect. The best fit is the best fit. A too low saddle height will mean that you're bending your knees too much, this is both inefficient (which is why "the pros" do it, why waste Watts) and bad for the joints and much tougher on your legs. When I was in my 20s I could get away with setting my saddle like on a BMX and riding. In my 40s I cannot.
Actually I am correct. I am under the assumption that the saddle height is correct. The bar height is rider dependent. You assumed his saddle height was too low due to the saddle being slightly below bar level. Without seeing the rider on the bike you can't say that with any resonableness. Saddle height is somewhat universal on road bikes, handlebar height is not.
Old 03-24-16, 11:50 AM
dr_lha

Originally Posted by G jeep
Actually I am correct. I am under the assumption that the saddle height is correct. The bar height is rider dependent. You assumed his saddle height was too low due to the saddle being slightly below bar level. Without seeing the rider on the bike you can't say that with any resonableness. Saddle height is somewhat universal on road bikes, handlebar height is not.
The Giant Anyroad has a standard road bike geometry, and the image of the one above shows that it does not have an excessive number of spacers, but does the the stem flipped "up". However that means that the handlebars are not excessively high for the frame. I have seen this bike in person, with a correct fit, the saddle should not be inches below the handlebars, even with a flipped stem.

I am willing to believe that the angle on photo of the bike makes it look that the saddle is lower than it is. However, I also know how common it is for riders to have their saddle set too low, as I lead a beginners group in my local club and it's usually the first thing that I advise my riders to fix on their fit.
Likes For dr_lha:
Old 12-03-18, 03:17 PM
gildelrosan

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For the Anyroad, the stem should be flipped up, theres a marking line for a level dropbar. The seat looks lower but thats the design.
while riding this Anyroad with the stem up, you can look out for cars behind without the bars moving or changing directions. The comfort and stability of the Anyroad is good for seniors too.

Last edited by gildelrosan; 02-12-20 at 03:52 AM.
Old 12-12-18, 03:23 PM
PutnamMike

Bikes: Giant AnyRoad & Panosonic

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Im also a AnyRoads owner.............BEST bike for my use..............no matter where people say where to set your seat .............
Likes For PutnamMike:
Old 12-12-18, 09:39 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by PutnamMike
Im also a AnyRoads owner.............BEST bike for my use..............no matter where people say where to set your seat .............
Bit of a zombie thread but post a pic of your bike if you wouldn't mind. Eye candy is good.

I agree with @dr_lha, that bike above just looks wrong. I don't care where people put their handlebars but it looks like he's trying to ride a much bigger bike than he should if the saddle is in the right spot.
Old 12-12-18, 09:50 PM
Wattsup

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Seat height, schmeat height.... here's my nearly new 2017 Anyroad Comax, soon to go on the chopping block. FS BO.

Old 12-12-18, 10:01 PM
Wattsup

The Giant Anyroad has a standard road bike geometry, .
Actually, the Giant Anyroad's geometry is unlike most road bikes... It has *very* high stack.
Old 12-13-18, 07:01 AM
dr_lha

Originally Posted by Wattsup
Actually, the Giant Anyroad's geometry is unlike most road bikes... It has *very* high stack.
Yeah, **** you 2016 dr_lha! You're wrong about some minor aspect of something! INTERNET WIN.

But yes, you're right, it does have a very high stack, but apparently not high enough for you as you added that stem...

Last edited by dr_lha; 12-13-18 at 07:05 AM.
Old 12-13-18, 10:44 AM
Wattsup

Yeah, **** you 2016 dr_lha! You're wrong about some minor aspect of something! INTERNET WIN.

But yes, you're right, it does have a very high stack, but apparently not high enough for you as you added that stem...

It's just the perspective. Is this something new at BF, seat-height shaming? "Na na, my seat's lower than yours."
Old 12-13-18, 11:47 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Your seat looks fine, that first bike looks really off.

Besides, he's not seat shaming, he's stem shaming. LOL
Old 12-13-18, 12:08 PM
Wattsup

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Your seat looks fine, that first bike looks really off.

Besides, he's not seat shaming, he's stem shaming. LOL
He ought to see my new Vaya Ti with Jones H bar and uncut steerer. I can pop and ride wheelies on it!
Old 04-03-20, 01:06 AM
gildelrosan

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PutnamMike
so, is your Giant Anyroad stem in positive setting too ? Or in negative setting?

Last edited by gildelrosan; 04-03-20 at 01:12 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.