Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Stupid query but need to ask-is this tool the right one to take off an Ultegra rotor?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Stupid query but need to ask-is this tool the right one to take off an Ultegra rotor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-19, 05:07 AM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

It's a cassette removal tool that I already have. Is it OK with that pin?

Last edited by deepakvrao; 04-09-19 at 05:10 AM.
Old 04-09-19, 05:41 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Maybe.

I've come across two types of rotor lock rings: those similar a cassette lockring and those that take a BB wrench. If you have the former, what you have should be fine, though you might have to take off a hub end cap if you have QRs (that centering pin might be too thick).
Old 04-09-19, 06:29 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
If you have Centerlock rotors then that is probably the correct tool. It will work with a lockring with internal splines...

The other kind of Centerlock lockring is less common and, as mentioned above, requires a bottom bracket wrench. It has external splines...

Some Ultegra rotors don't use a lockring at all but attach with six T-25 bolts.

Old 04-09-19, 06:29 AM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
This video might help.

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...l-installation
Old 04-09-19, 06:35 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by TimothyH
The other kind of Centerlock lockring is less common ...

Are those less common? Out of the six disc wheels that I have, only one came with the cassette lockring type (clearance issue with the fork on my Domane), all of the rest were of the BB-type.
Old 04-09-19, 07:23 AM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Are those less common? Out of the six disc wheels that I have, only one came with the cassette lockring type (clearance issue with the fork on my Domane), all of the rest were of the BB-type.
Not sure about them being common or not but I'm pretty sure the external splines are used for MTB hubs with a 15mm through axle. I don't think the internal style tool will fit over the larger axle. Most of the road and gravel rotors I see have the internal spline lockrings.
Old 04-09-19, 07:47 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
My Domane has the BB type lockring F & R.
Old 04-09-19, 09:19 AM
ChinookTx

Bikes: Lynskey GR270

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
I've always used the cassette tool to remove the rotors, they are the same.

@TimothyH The second type of lockring you've pictured is to use 6 bolt rotors on a centerlock hubs (at least I think). It has another part that goes on the back of the rotor with 6 pins that stick out, and the ring tightens everything together.
Old 04-09-19, 09:29 AM
deepakvrao

Heck, this is confusing.

Could anyone comment, specifically for a Canyon Endurace Ultegra Di2, what I would need? Not that I don't appreciate the help, but I'm trying to get what I need to carry with me.

Thanks guys.
Old 04-09-19, 09:29 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by ChinookTx
I've always used the cassette tool to remove the rotors, they are the same.

@TimothyH The second type of lockring you've pictured is to use 6 bolt rotors on a centerlock hubs (at least I think).
It can be used for that purpose too, but it must be used on hubs with 15mm or larger axles.
Old 04-09-19, 09:36 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
through axle fork , big fat axle, is why the centerlock lockring is different ,
outside spline gains inside clearance ..

Looked IT up your fork is Through axle, Right?

SO... No you need a different tool... not the one You show.. in OP 1 ..
to get the disc off the front wheel

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-09-19 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-09-19, 09:43 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by deepakvrao
Heck, this is confusing.

Could anyone comment, specifically for a Canyon Endurace Ultegra Di2, what I would need? Not that I don't appreciate the help, but I'm trying to get what I need to carry with me.

Thanks guys.
Taking a step back for a second, why would you need one, anyway? You're picking up the bike in Europe, riding there and then taking it back with you? At what point will you need to remove the rotors?

In any event, your best bet, if you really need to know, would be to call Canyon. The same hub will take either type of retention ring, it's just a matter of which is supplied by the manufacturer (my Assaults came with both) and whether or not there are frame clearance issues with the larger BB-type.
Old 04-09-19, 09:45 AM
noodle soup

Heck, this is confusing.

Thanks guys.
It all depends on what Canyon uses when they build your bike. The bike comes with 12mm axles, so they could use either type. All the discs I've purchased came with the cassette type lockring, so I suspect that's what Canyon will use for your bike.
Old 04-09-19, 09:47 AM
deepakvrao

Taking a step back for a second, why would you need one, anyway? You're picking up the bike in Europe, riding there and then taking it back with you? At what point will you need to remove the rotors?

In any event, your best bet, if you really need to know, would be to call Canyon. The same hub will take either type of retention ring, it's just a matter of which is supplied by the manufacturer (my Assaults came with both) and whether or not there are frame clearance issues with the larger BB-type.
I would want to remove the rotors for the flight back. Brought back disc brake bike once from the US without removing the rotors, and had a bent rotor.

Lot of crap on this trip. I am also getting new Assioma sensors [on warranty], so I have to carry the tools to replace them when I land in Europe, if I want to have access to power data. My old sensors will be de activated BEFORE they ship out the new sensors.

And thanks. Never thought to ask Canyon. Duh.
Old 04-09-19, 09:53 AM
ChinookTx

Originally Posted by noodle soup
It can be used for that purpose too, but it must be used on hubs with 15mm or larger axles.
Care to explain what you mean by this?
Old 04-09-19, 09:54 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
When I ship bikes, used in cycle tours I try to pack the disc separately, so it wont get bent in shipping
with the front wheel Off.

It is possible to pack it facing inward within the main triangle .. and leave it on.. ..

happy travels..
Old 04-09-19, 09:59 AM
WhyFi

I would want to remove the rotors for the flight back. Brought back disc brake bike once from the US without removing the rotors, and had a bent rotor.

Lot of crap on this trip. I am also getting new Assioma sensors [on warranty], so I have to carry the tools to replace them when I land in Europe, if I want to have access to power data. My old sensors will be de activated BEFORE they ship out the new sensors.

Ah. Well, in your position, I'd opt to take less crap with me and deal with the chance of a dinged rotor upon arriving back home. Most likely, nothing bad will happen. If something does happen, there's a good chance that hitting it with a disc truing lever will take care of it. I understand that your experience will shape your decisions differently, but the efforts necessary for prevention sometimes outweigh the hassle of the cure, which may or may not be needed.
Old 04-09-19, 10:08 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by ChinookTx
Care to explain what you mean by this?
The ring that you (and Tim) posted isn't just a part of a six-bolt adapter. It most cases, it can be used interchangeably with the cassette-type lockring. On some forks/frames, like my Domane, the larger outside diameter of the BB-type ring may cause clearance issues. With some TAs, the cassette-type lockring may not have the internal diameter to pass over the endcaps of the hub; one will not fit over the endcaps of my Bontrager rear wheel, even though it's only a 12mm TA.
Old 04-09-19, 10:11 AM
ChinookTx

The ring that you (and Tim) posted isn't just a part of a six-bolt adapter. It most cases, it can be used interchangeably with the cassette-type lockring. On some forks/frames, like my Domane, the larger diameter of the BB-type ring may cause clearance issues. With some TAs, the cassette-type lockring may not have the internal diameter to pass over the endcaps of the hub; one will not fit over the endcaps of my Bontrager rear wheel, even though it's only a 12mm TA.
Ohhh, I see what you mean. Thanks, I didn't know that! I actually saw the adapters for the first time 2 weeks ago. I'd only seen and used the smaller "cassette type" lockrings before..
Old 04-09-19, 12:03 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

I could be wrong about it being less common. I thought it was but maybe not.

-Tim-
Old 04-09-19, 02:15 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
I could be wrong about it being less common. I thought it was but maybe not.

-Tim-
My Litespeed also has the BB type.
Old 04-09-19, 03:02 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Well, Shimano lists SM-HB20 as the externally splined lockring for road applications using 15mm thru axles. HB20 has however, been discontinued and is only available through eBay and some German website. AKA "less common."

The only part available is the XT M8010 externally splined lockring which Shimano lists for MTB applications. I can say with certainty that the M8010 is functionally equivalent to the HB20.

Neither the HB20 nor the M8010 lockrings are only for six bolt adapters. They are standalone parts.

I went through all of this because Industry 9 Torch hubs with 15 mm thru axles would not accept the cassette lockring tool. I had to get the externally splined version which uses the bottom bracket tool.

The problem with the externally splined lockring is that it is about 4 mm thick and rubs on some forks. Mine clears by only 1 mm even though it is a Niner gravel bike with generous clearance. Some with 15 mm thru axles and close clearance forks are screwed because 15 mm thru axles won't allow the low profile internally splined lockring and the external splined lockring rubs the fork. So those of you considering 15 mm thru axles may want to stick with 6 bolt where none of this is an issue and no special tool is required - T25 and done - but you can't use the fancy Shimano finned rotors.

On a gravel bike I'd go 15 mm thru axles and standard 6 bolt rotors. On a road bike I'd go 12 mm thru axles and use the low profile lockring with fancy rotors. That's what I'm going to do moving forward and next time I need new wheels.

Richard from ProWheelBuilder.com believes that there is no advantage to 15 mm thru axles over 12 mm unless the bike has fork legs which move independently like an MTB suspension fork.

How any of this helps @deepakvrao, who is a super nice guy, I really don't know but this is a coffee fueled sermon, really important stuff so there you have it.

-Tim-
Old 04-09-19, 08:30 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts

Well, Shimano lists SM-HB20 as the externally splined lockring for road applications using 15mm thru axles. HB20 has however, been discontinued and is only available through eBay and some German website. AKA "less common."

The only part available is the XT M8010 externally splined lockring which Shimano lists for MTB applications. I can say with certainty that the M8010 is functionally equivalent to the HB20.

Neither the HB20 nor the M8010 lockrings are only for six bolt adapters. They are standalone parts.

I went through all of this because Industry 9 Torch hubs with 15 mm thru axles would not accept the cassette lockring tool. I had to get the externally splined version which uses the bottom bracket tool.

The problem with the externally splined lockring is that it is about 4 mm thick and rubs on some forks. Mine clears by only 1 mm even though it is a Niner gravel bike with generous clearance. Some with 15 mm thru axles and close clearance forks are screwed because 15 mm thru axles won't allow the low profile internally splined lockring and the external splined lockring rubs the fork. So those of you considering 15 mm thru axles may want to stick with 6 bolt where none of this is an issue and no special tool is required - T25 and done - but you can't use the fancy Shimano finned rotors.

On a gravel bike I'd go 15 mm thru axles and standard 6 bolt rotors. On a road bike I'd go 12 mm thru axles and use the low profile lockring with fancy rotors. That's what I'm going to do moving forward and next time I need new wheels.

Richard from ProWheelBuilder.com believes that there is no advantage to 15 mm thru axles over 12 mm unless the bike has fork legs which move independently like an MTB suspension fork.

How any of this helps @deepakvrao, who is a super nice guy, I really don't know but this is a coffee fueled sermon, really important stuff so there you have it.

-Tim-

I just noticed mine are DT Swiss on Mavic wheels (I was sent the wrong set of wheels initially which were DT Swiss then transferred the rotors when the new wheels came in). The same I assume?

Old 04-10-19, 03:08 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,029 Times in 1,427 Posts

I'll try to remember to check mine tonight. I know I used the Park Tool version to remove my cassette to take off the dork disk. On my other bike I use the same tool to remove my rotors, but I didn't even think to look at the disks on the Endurace while I was at it.

-Matt
Old 04-11-19, 03:21 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,029 Times in 1,427 Posts
I checked my Endurace this afternoon. I’m not sure if the lock ring tool you have will work or not...I would guess yes. I have the Park Tool FR-5.2GT (the one with the 12mm guide pin) and it works fine. The pin isn’t really needed, so yours should work fine.

-Matt