Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Steel Frame Bike Options?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Steel Frame Bike Options?

Old 05-07-19, 08:29 PM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
^this.

Also, there are undoubtedly local custom frame guys close by.

J.
+1 on Waterford/Gunnar
Old 05-08-19, 11:29 PM
jideta

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 74 Posts
Just went on a steel search myself.
Specialized makes a steel frame Sequoia with discs, more of a town bicycle.
Trek makes the 520, but good luck seeing one on the showroom floor. I think frame only. Geometry should be close to your Domane.
I ended up ordering a Bianchi Volpe gravel bike. I already have a older Campione and figured the geometry couldn't be that far off. I converted the Volpe to sidewalk hopper.
Bianchi also has the Orso, a gravel bike with discs (in a weird military green/orange color). They also make a couple other steel frame bicycles.
If not for the Volpe, I would have ordered a Surly Crosscheck.
You might check GVH bikes, they are still listing some frames on the website.

At the upper end of your budget, you are awfully close to custom frame range (Carl Strong I think is around $2200, but that means getting in the queue and waiting). That would be frame and group. If going that route, I would save up and get some really nice wheels!
Building up a frame shouldn't hold you back. Do what you can; source out the heavy stuff that you don't feel confident about to the LBS.
I also keep an eyeball out on the local craigslist for vintage frames.
Good luck!

Likes For jideta:
Old 05-09-19, 04:45 AM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
Salsa and SOMAFab are a couple of other options.
Old 05-09-19, 05:51 AM
riverdrifter

Bikes: 1985 Cannondale SR500, 1990 Cannondale ST600, 1993 Cannondale M700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 108 Posts
I know a couple other people mentioned Jamis. I just bought a NOS 2012 Satellite, which is their entry level steel frame. It's a quality bike and looks great too. If you are interested in a touring style, they have the AURORA. You should check it out.
Old 05-09-19, 08:16 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by dkyser
I may look at Titanium also.

$2000-$3500

I want disc brakes for sure.

As far as geometry, I love the geometry of my Domane so more of a touring style.
you won't find much out there with geometry like your Domane, Most bikes will have a longer reach, and a shorter stack. Some touring bikes might get you close, but they will have much longer chainstays. I had a bike stolen last April, and the Domane was the only bike I could find with a geometry close to that of my custom frame.
Old 05-09-19, 08:46 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
you won't find much out there with geometry like your Domane, Most bikes will have a longer reach, and a shorter stack. Some touring bikes might get you close, but they will have much longer chainstays. I had a bike stolen last April, and the Domane was the only bike I could find with a geometry close to that of my custom frame.
Good guidance here. I've had built a number of custom frames due to a neck injury years ago, my short arms, my long legs and long torso. This typically winds up in a longer head tube than typical. My normal frame size is around a 58cm where traditionally head tubes have ranged from 100mm (old school) to around 140mm. I built a bike around a custom geometry Gunnar Crosshairs frame about 6 years ago with a 189mm head tube. Now, the Domane in a 58cm frame is darn close to that (within a few millimeters).

The trend though does seem to be more towards what Trek has going on with the Domane geometry especially with offerings in the "gravel/endurance" category (broad, yes I know). Specifically, if you're looking at steel, the Gunnar Roadie Disc might be right in the sweet spot that the OP is asking for. The non-custom geometry frame comes in at $1300. With careful component selection, ought to be quite possible to hit those price targets. The Gunnar Roadie Disc has a geometry that is in the same vein as the Domane - higher head tube/more upright position, <32mm tires, relatively short chain stays.

J.
Likes For JohnJ80:
Old 05-09-19, 08:53 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Steel Road Bike Frames Made in Italy!

il massimo makes some nice steel frames, and the prices are reasonable.

Marinoni makes some too, but they might be hard to find in the US.
A shop near me sells il massimo, and they look quite nice.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 05-09-19, 09:29 AM
noodle soup

Good guidance here. I've had built a number of custom frames due to a neck injury years ago, my short arms, my long legs and long torso. This typically winds up in a longer head tube than typical. My normal frame size is around a 58cm where traditionally head tubes have ranged from 100mm (old school) to around 140mm. I built a bike around a custom geometry Gunnar Crosshairs frame about 6 years ago with a 189mm head tube. Now, the Domane in a 58cm frame is darn close to that (within a few millimeters).

The trend though does seem to be more towards what Trek has going on with the Domane geometry especially with offerings in the "gravel/endurance" category (broad, yes I know). Specifically, if you're looking at steel, the Gunnar Roadie Disc might be right in the sweet spot that the OP is asking for. The non-custom geometry frame comes in at $1300. With careful component selection, ought to be quite possible to hit those price targets. The Gunnar Roadie Disc has a geometry that is in the same vein as the Domane - higher head tube/more upright position, <32mm tires, relatively short chain stays.

J.
I was looking into buying a Gunner Roadie when I got a sweet deal on my Domane(60cm shop demo bike)..It's nearly identical geometry to my custom CF frameset I was replacing, but once i added the option for internal Di2 routing, rear brake hose, and an Enve fork, the Domane was a far better deal.

If I was looking for a steel gravel bike, the Gunner Hyper-x would be on my short list.

Last edited by noodle soup; 05-09-19 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-09-19, 10:19 AM
JohnJ80

I was looking into buying a Gunner Roadie when I got a sweet deal on my Domane(60cm shop demo bike)..It's nearly identical geometry to my custom CF frameset I was replacing, but once i added the option for internal Di2 routing, rear brake hose, and an Enve fork, the Doamane was a far better deal.

If I was looking for a steel gravel bike, the Gunner Hyper-x would be on my short list.
Yep. Agree.

I'm kind of looking at a new frame now for an adventure bike. The Domane was really attractive to me mostly because I'm pretty comfortable riding gravel on a 32mm tire or less. The big problem for me was that this was going to a travel bike and that seat mast/seat tube set up is kind of scary to me for putting it in my bag (Orucase - awesome bag and no airline fees) given baggage handlers. I also think it presents a fit problem there. I really wish Trek had put a more traditional seat clamp/post arrangement on the frame.

FWIW, I'm replacing a Crosshairs I have now (being passed down to #1 son). The bike was originally built up with Ultegra 6800 but I converted it to an electronic drivetrain with eTap Red. For a travel bike, that's been next to ideal - no wires or cables to deal with so it packs up fast and cleanly.

J.
Old 05-09-19, 11:16 AM
noodle soup

Yep. Agree.

I'm kind of looking at a new frame now for an adventure bike. The Domane was really attractive to me mostly because I'm pretty comfortable riding gravel on a 32mm tire or less. The big problem for me was that this was going to a travel bike and that seat mast/seat tube set up is kind of scary to me for putting it in my bag (Orucase - awesome bag and no airline fees) given baggage handlers. I also think it presents a fit problem there. I really wish Trek had put a more traditional seat clamp/post arrangement on the frame.

FWIW, I'm replacing a Crosshairs I have now (being passed down to #1 son). The bike was originally built up with Ultegra 6800 but I converted it to an electronic drivetrain with eTap Red. For a travel bike, that's been next to ideal - no wires or cables to deal with so it packs up fast and cleanly.

J.
Are you riding brake-less? You still have cables or hoses to deal with.

About the Domane seatmast -

have you checked the ID of the seat tube? I've seen frames where the mast could be cut down, and a traditional post could be inserted. I probably wouldn't do it because of the Iso-speed de-coupler, but it might be worth looking into.
Old 05-09-19, 11:35 AM
JohnJ80

Are you riding brake-less? You still have cables or hoses to deal with.

About the Domane seatmast -

have you checked the ID of the seat tube? I've seen frames where the mast could be cut down, and a traditional post could be inserted. I probably wouldn't do it because of the Iso-speed de-coupler, but it might be worth looking into.
I installed one of the Ritchey cable disconnects on the cable between the arms of my Paul's MiniMoto v-brakes on the front. That has worked really well for disconnect/reconnect - never has needed an adjustment.

The rear brake, I don't need to disconnect because the cable to the bars has enough slack to be able to easily position it in my bike case. On a caliper rim brake bike, you just unbolt the caliper from tech fork (one bolt) and leave it attached to the bars. That's the same strategy I'll use with the new bike that will have mechanical cables to disc brakes. I would not put hydro brakes on a travel bike plus the groupset I have is not hydro anyhow. Right now, for my case I remove the fork, the bars/stem as one unit, wheels and crank. I can get that all done in about 20 minutes or so. Same to assemble it if I hurry. The case I use is the Orucase Airport Ninja that I highly recommend. Many airline trip both foreign and domestic and not a single charge.

As for the Domane - I haven't look at it but it would need to be cut down a lot. If it messed with the Isospeed coupler it would be a non-starter - that's probably one of the biggest advantages of the Domane frame. My worry is that the seat mast still protrudes up enough and is unsupported without a seat post in it. In the case, if thrown by a baggage handler, it would have to be at risk since I don't think it would fit well in the profile of the case that I have (but I could use some more investigation on this).
Old 05-09-19, 12:53 PM
dkyser

Bikes: 19 Gunnar Hyper-X Ultegra Disk, 17 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks for that info, I need to learn more about geometry of bicycle.

What is the turn around time on a custom frame?
Old 05-09-19, 01:13 PM
dkyser

J.
Thanks this was helpful.
Old 05-09-19, 01:23 PM
noodle soup

It all depends on the builder. Some have a 6 week wait, others could be years.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 05-09-19, 01:37 PM
JohnJ80

Gunnar has a around a 6week wait now for any frame. I don't think custom takes any longer or shorter amount of time. Their "standard frames" are pretty much build to order because of the options and paying. Custom is also "build to order" but with possibly tubes not in stock.

Yep. My stainless full custom frame was about a year long wait and a month to build. That's not atypical for the better builders with a good reputation.

J.
Old 05-09-19, 05:33 PM
dkyser

Originally Posted by jideta
Just went on a steel search myself.
Specialized makes a steel frame Sequoia with discs, more of a town bicycle.
Trek makes the 520, but good luck seeing one on the showroom floor. I think frame only. Geometry should be close to your Domane.
I ended up ordering a Bianchi Volpe gravel bike. I already have a older Campione and figured the geometry couldn't be that far off. I converted the Volpe to sidewalk hopper.
Bianchi also has the Orso, a gravel bike with discs (in a weird military green/orange color). They also make a couple other steel frame bicycles.
If not for the Volpe, I would have ordered a Surly Crosscheck.
You might check GVH bikes, they are still listing some frames on the website.

At the upper end of your budget, you are awfully close to custom frame range (Carl Strong I think is around $2200, but that means getting in the queue and waiting). That would be frame and group. If going that route, I would save up and get some really nice wheels!
Building up a frame shouldn't hold you back. Do what you can; source out the heavy stuff that you don't feel confident about to the LBS.
I also keep an eyeball out on the local craigslist for vintage frames.
Good luck!

I am considering buying a frame and building up, like you said source out what I am not confident in. I have most all the tools and stand to do most of the work.
Old 05-09-19, 05:45 PM
noodle soup

Yep. My stainless full custom frame was about a year long wait and a month to build. That's not atypical for the better builders with a good reputation.

J.
I waited almost 2 years for my custom(carbon fiber) frameset, but to be fair, mine was a gift from the the framebuilder.

I was nearly killed by a motorist, and he gave me the custom frameset to cheer me up.
Old 05-09-19, 08:16 PM
JohnJ80

I waited almost 2 years for my custom(carbon fiber) frameset, but to be fair, mine was a gift from the the framebuilder.

I was nearly killed by a motorist, and he gave me the custom frameset to cheer me up.
Wow, that's a tough way to get a new frame. Glad you're around to ride it. I also bet it's a pretty cool frame. How is it constructed - lugged construction ala Pardee?
Old 05-10-19, 04:45 AM
jideta

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 74 Posts
I am considering buying a frame and building up, like you said source out what I am not confident in. I have most all the tools and stand to do most of the work.
I prefer to build up from a frame.
In the case of my Volpe, the only components left of the original bicycle is the seat post (new one on the way), wheels, chain and headset.
My first build, I spent a lotta cash, mainly because I didn't know what I wanted. A lot of trial and error and eBay.
Second went better as I was more sure of what I wanted in my bicycle.
Do your homework and have fun!
Gotta warn you though, building up a bicycle is kinda addictive.
You're gonna start eyeballing them broken down frames in folks driveways as you ride by!
Old 05-10-19, 09:19 AM
dkyser

Originally Posted by jideta
I prefer to build up from a frame.
In the case of my Volpe, the only components left of the original bicycle is the seat post (new one on the way), wheels, chain and headset.
My first build, I spent a lotta cash, mainly because I didn't know what I wanted. A lot of trial and error and eBay.
Second went better as I was more sure of what I wanted in my bicycle.
Do your homework and have fun!
Gotta warn you though, building up a bicycle is kinda addictive.
You're gonna start eyeballing them broken down frames in folks driveways as you ride by!
Sounds like a good thing to be addicted to.
Old 05-10-19, 11:21 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by RGMN
Exactly
Old 05-10-19, 12:20 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
I have this article bookmarked:

https://road.cc/content/buyers-guide...gs-traditional
Likes For superdex:
Old 05-10-19, 08:09 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
I want disc brakes for sure.
https://fairlightcycles.com/product/...v=7516fd43adaa

Quality steel, great details, boutique size brand for a good price.
Carbon fork, disc brakes, etc.
Old 05-10-19, 08:57 PM
on the path
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Serottad Design Studio. Great bike with a surprisingly light steel frame. Bring your checkbook.

Old 05-11-19, 04:37 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts

This is the one I ride. With SRAM Red and Ksyrium USTs it's 17 lb 13 oz. I love this bike. But, since Guru is out of business you'd have to find one on EBAY. Actually there is one in CT w/Dura Ace for $1800. Mine is a 55 ST and 55 TT.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.