Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > BMX
Reload this Page >

Drift, Hardening tires..

Notices
BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

Drift, Hardening tires..

Old 08-19-18, 07:37 PM
klopot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike Drifting

I strongly recommend the Haro MS4 tires, they make a nice car-like squeal, and they last hella long.
Old 09-21-18, 08:54 AM
Philphine

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
it wasn't drifting at the time (wasn't called that anyway. back in the 70's maybe), but as kids we'd smash down a pop can, ride over it and try to time slamming on the brakes so the rear tire stopped on it. we'd get long loud barely in control slides.

it wouldn't be quite anytime/anyplace, but maybe to update that you could take some sheet metal and make some 8-12" discs and throw them around in a parking lot. you wouldn't need special tires and also wouldn't wear good tires down (as long as you get good at stopping on the disc).
Old 09-21-18, 09:18 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4217 Post(s)
Liked 2,940 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by BMXTRIX
Skidding is awesome if you grab a tray from your local Burger King and find a good straight and wide street. Bunnyhop onto the tray while going fast and lock your rear brake landing on the tray with your rear wheel.

You will skid like 100 feet or more. Plus, it just wears through the tray, not your tire.

I've seen people do this and do surfers (old locking levers) - but it's fun to do 180's and do backwards skids. You can also pretty much do full 360 skids. Kind of crazy. The same thing can be done on a skateboard. Bunnyhop, lock your brakes, land rear wheel on the skateboard.

Fun and amusing - but hardly serious. Kind of like riding a scooter or an unbike.
This sounds like a better idea than hardening your tires because it seems like hardening your tires would make them too slippery to controllably get up to speed all those other times when you don't want to skid. You might end up just spinning out and not getting up to speed. Any unused cement spot on your property you can try "spilling" some slick varnish (don't do this in a public space).
Old 09-21-18, 09:19 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4217 Post(s)
Liked 2,940 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by Philphine
it wasn't drifting at the time (wasn't called that anyway. back in the 70's maybe), but as kids we'd smash down a pop can, ride over it and try to time slamming on the brakes so the rear tire stopped on it. we'd get long loud barely in control slides.

it wouldn't be quite anytime/anyplace, but maybe to update that you could take some sheet metal and make some 8-12" discs and throw them around in a parking lot. you wouldn't need special tires and also wouldn't wear good tires down (as long as you get good at stopping on the disc).
I don't know how long disposable aluminum pie plates would last, but those could be about the right size.
Old 12-18-18, 01:52 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
This thread is a teenager...
Old 12-20-18, 12:06 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Cover the tire with Aluminum HVAC tape. It will be like riding on ice.

We used to do it on Big Wheels when we were kids. Wore through the plastic tires pretty quick. We found a bunch of aluminum HVAC tape and thought it would make the rear tires last longer, which it did, but man, it made the things pretty ass happy. Then we got the idea to tow the big wheels around town with regular bicycles. Scared the crap out of some motorists. I sometimes wonder how my brother and I managed to stay alive.

But yeah, drifting is a thing. I saw them do it down in Atlanta. Get your weight over the front wheel, unweight the rear wheel and let it rip.

Check out the guy at 1:30 smoking the tires.

Or just buy an X20 BMX Drift Wheel

-Tim-
Old 07-03-19, 05:38 PM
Sp1990

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Why not use a solid tire. https://tannusamerica.com/collection...nnus-mini-velo
Old 07-31-19, 02:24 PM
wixmen