Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Brake Pad Rubbing

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Brake Pad Rubbing

Old 12-07-03, 05:02 PM
Portis
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Brake Pad Rubbing

I am a newbie and have very little bike mechanics knowledge. When i have my bike in the bike hanger and i run the pedals, the rear rim hits the pad (side pull brakes) oncer per revolution.

It occured to me that the rim could be out of true but I really can't see that it is by looking at it spin. It really has to be out of true for it to rub only in one spot. However when looking at the brakes, the one that is rubbing is way closer to the rim than the other. I know the rubbing would go away if I could just adjust it away from the rim a little.

How do i do this? I am going to consult the Barnett's manual but just wondered if someone could give me a fast and easy answer? Thanks.

My brakes are: BRAKESET: Alloy linear pull w/alloy levers on Trek 4300

Last edited by Portis; 12-07-03 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-08-03, 09:48 AM
Portis
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Guess I will reply to myself.
It looks like I should use centering screws to move arms and center pads to rim.
Old 12-08-03, 11:45 AM
AndrewP

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You first need to true your wheel, by loosening the spokes on the in the area that is rubbing 1/4 turn on that side, and tightening on the other side. Then check and repeat until the wheel is true. When the wheel is true centre the brakes.
Old 12-08-03, 11:47 AM
Ebbtide

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, your wheel needs the help. However, be very carefull when adjusting the spokes, it can be tricky your first time. I would have someone show you how to do it.

ehenz
Old 12-08-03, 02:01 PM
Portis
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ehenz
Yes, your wheel needs the help. However, be very carefull when adjusting the spokes, it can be tricky your first time. I would have someone show you how to do it.

ehenz
I'll take it to LBS for truing. Maybe they will help show me. So is the centering method shown in my attachment the way to do it? Even if the wheel is out of true it is very slight. When my brakes are open (not applied) the right pad is way closer to the rim than the left pad.

Until I get the wheel trued should I make this adjustment to get the pads even or just wait till the wheel is trued? The issue is time, as it will probably take me a few days to get it in the LBS.

It really doesn't seem to effect the ride much. I just rode this morning. I was going to just adjust that screw a little to get the pad off the rim until the rim is true and I can do it right.
Old 12-08-03, 02:51 PM
Rev.Chuck
The Red Lantern

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It shouldn't hurt anything to center the brakes, to stop rubbing, until you can take it into the shop to get it trued. Make sure the wheel is fully in the dropouts as well.

I am in the woods and I have gone crazy.
Old 12-08-03, 04:31 PM
Dave Stohler
60mph in the 42 ring!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ooh, I'm gonna save that .jpeg!!
Old 12-08-03, 05:00 PM
Portis
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dang. That was easy. I got mechanical skills, just not a lot of bike knowledge. I expect it will just take some time and a lot of learning. Anyway, thanks for the help. The rub is gone.