Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What do you think about during a fast descent?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-21-17, 06:25 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts

The title says it all: what is actually going through your mind while bombing a descent? For the sake of discussion, I will define "bombing a descent" as an activity in which the rider is tucked and going 40+ MPH (65+ KM/HR).

Backstory: I've been riding bicycles on the road for about 10 years, but for various reasons I'm fairly new to fast descents. I hit 45 MPH a few times this season, and it was amazing. I watched videos, read about techniques and safety, and was getting much better.

Then, I had a minor oopsie on a not very steep or fast descent. Nothing broken...other than my pride. Now, my mind fills up with bad thoughts when I hit the top of the hill: I imagine my tire flatting, hitting a deer, or my frame asploding. It makes descending far less fun.

So this is a question about mental rather than physical technique: for those of you who enjoy bombing descents, what do you think about while going down? Is it the technical aspects of the descent, or something else entirely, or perhaps nothing at all?
Old 08-21-17, 06:31 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Brake point, turning point, line through the corner, vanishing point. Reminding myself to look further through the corner.
Old 08-21-17, 06:31 PM
dvdslw

Bikes: Santa Cruz Stigmata

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
The few times I've been 40+mph on my road bike I've found it exciting and a bit sketchy at the same time. I'm not the lightest guy so I always worry about how well my brakes are going to slow me down if something or someone happens to cut out in front of me.
Old 08-21-17, 06:34 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
2 things:
1. Glad I'm not riding carbon... just kidding
2. Relax my arms, don't lock my elbows.. just relax..
Old 08-21-17, 06:44 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Not really thinking in a conscious sense. Just focused on the road, what's up ahead, and the thrill.
Old 08-21-17, 06:46 PM
howheels

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"Let's not bang my chin on the headset cap again!"
Old 08-21-17, 06:51 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3370 Post(s)
Liked 5,489 Times in 2,843 Posts
Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
Brake point, turning point, line through the corner, vanishing point.
Avoiding bulldozers.
Old 08-21-17, 06:58 PM
Cyclcist11023131
Banned.

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Downhill

Its just like flying four feet off the ground. Sounds like a thousand angry Hornets following me. Schwalbe Marathon Supremes....48 mph on the GPS, Chapman Ave Orange Ca. Today.
Old 08-21-17, 07:10 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 135 Posts
How pissed my wife will be if I fall off.
Old 08-21-17, 07:21 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
I just give thanks that I wore brown shorts.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 08-21-17, 07:29 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyrat
This. I don't think my wife has ever exceeded 35mph on a bicycle. When going downhill, she thinks about crashing-- I generally don't think about anything... other than the occasional, "If I go down, my wife is gonna kill me."

Really, anything up to the mid-40mph area doesn't even feel especially fast anymore. +50mph will get the blood flowing, though.
Old 08-21-17, 07:40 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,933 Times in 1,763 Posts
Hmmm, the main thing for me is paying attention to what the bike is telling me, watching for cars, reading the road and the wind, and how else can I change my body position to get more aero and more speed.

I did get a terrible case of death wobble last year on my first descent with my 1987 Schwinn Circuit that had just been built up. Was trying to beat my current top end of 55.4 mph and ran up on some traffic entering a turn. Just grabbed rear brake to bleed speed without sacrificing front grip. And all heck broke loose. Worse wooble ever. Was still on top of the traffic so I couldn't release brake and unload the front. Knees against the frame did nothing. Took me about another 1/4 mile to get it stopped and the whole time afraid the bike was going to throw me off. But all that said. I don't dwell on that day and have had many days of high speed descending on that bike with no problems. If you're scared while descending then you really need to hold back and not go fast, stay within your comfort zone. Oh, and never think about that front tire going, LOL!

My "death wobble" generator and now favorite climber:

I will admit that on the day I did 55.4 mph I started thinking about something sort of bad near the top of the descent. I got to thinking that the 1989 Antares still had those same old hard original brake pads on it. Had not planned on climbing that day as that bike only has a 42 tooth small ring. But I did it anyway and once I got up top I was like, "Oops, forgot about these old brakes." Then I put it out of mind and let the speed come to me. Fun times!!

I only climb with this when I want to honor "Il Pirata". Those days I throw on his pink jersey and hit the mountains. And I don't think about needing new brake pads, LOL!

Old 08-21-17, 07:55 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyrat
Wish I had that problem. Wait, no I don't. This was a real conversation:
Me (limping in after a ride): I crashed my bike.
Significant Other: Is the bike okay?
Old 08-21-17, 08:00 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,933 Times in 1,763 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
Dang, I wanna laugh, but should I.....
Old 08-21-17, 08:14 PM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Future shock specialized
Old 08-21-17, 08:29 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
I wonder if I've updated my last will & testament lately.
Old 08-21-17, 08:33 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Brake point, turning point, line through the corner, vanishing point. Reminding myself to look further through the corner.
Simple and correct.

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
I just give thanks that I wore brown shorts.
Artfully expressed ... what goes on while the above is also happening .....

Luckily your spouse has the right priorities.

One thing have learned from (crashing while) mountain biking is to listen to my fear just a little.

If I am really afraid---even if it is a section I have run before---I will go slowly or go elsewhere. Sometimes the brain just isn’t ready ... and survival might demand 100 percent brain activation, and if you have ten percent fear, you will crash even if it is an easy section.

I expect to have to fight a little nervousness because I am not a brave soul ... so I have learned to balance and modulate my effort to suit my internal situation.

Cliff Notes version: Go a little slowly a few times and get some confidence back.

I generally watch the road surface most of all. I am not worried about bike failure---that is stupid, in real life bikes don’t just asplode---and I don’t fear a blowout—beyond my control, and unlikely to happen at any time anyway. Slow punctures are much more common and can be controlled (hopefully.)

I watch for sand, gravel, brush and leaves and such. If I relax I can roll right over or through anything I don’t have time to get around, but if I get caught off guard I might tense up.

Reminding myself to look further through the corner.
This is the biggest lesson I learned from mountain biking---look Far ahead. It is easy and seems normal to look at what is almost under your wheels, but by the time you see the stuff ten feet away it is too late to react.

I always forget to look Far down the road.

It is like using your mirror s while driving. Of course you don’t stare into your mirror, but you switch from looking around, looking ahead and checking your mirrors.

When cycling I should always be looking long, then scanning the sides, then looking close to fully identify stuff I noticed while looking long .... When descending particularly I tend to look too close in front of me. I need more practice ... but on the other hand, that would mean climbing more hills. Not my forté.
Old 08-21-17, 09:08 PM
Shinkers

Bikes: '88 Trek 1200, '91 Trek 1400

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I can sympathize with the OP a bit. I remember my first mountain bike descent was absolutely fearless and fun. But shortly after a near miss with a tree a few rides later, I've forever been slightly more restrained. It's always in the back of my head whether on a road bike or a mountain bike.

That's not to say that I actively worry about these things while riding, but it's always back there somewhere that you're just a small step away from disaster. I think that is healthy, and keeps you in check. Just don't let it absorb you and have some fun.

What I'm focused on during descents is (as others have said) road surface, obstructions (cars), cornering lines, and braking zones. I ride most of the climbs around here as out-and-back, so I can observe the road surface and layout while I'm on my way up. That helps. Learning proper cornering technique helped me a lot too. When you distribute your weight on the bike the right way, it almost corners itself...

Descending is fun when you loosen up and get comfortable with it.
Old 08-21-17, 09:17 PM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
I inevitably think "damn, do I trust the guy who built and maintains this bike? Heck No!"

It's me, of course.
Old 08-21-17, 09:18 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
I haven't yet had the pleasure of doing a "bombing descent", but the closest I got to 65+ km/h was during a recent event along a particularly rolling section of the course. According to Strava I maxed out at 63km/h, and my thoughts were:

1) wheeeeeeeeeeeee
2) damn, I sure hope all the other riders in front of me don't do anything stupid, like suddenly swerve...
3) wheeeeeeeeeeeee
Old 08-21-17, 09:30 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
The condition of the ground ahead, what could possibly come at me from the side, the cars, and, the wind. Also check my mirror to see if there is a car behind me. At high speed I can't always hear a car that is behind me.
Old 08-21-17, 09:36 PM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I wonder how much I need to brake going into this next turn

Mostly just concentrating and enjoying the thrill. Rarely ever get over 40mph, and the longer descents I've done seem to have to many twists and turns for me to go much fast before I have to brake.
Old 08-21-17, 09:42 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 3,000 Times in 1,853 Posts
I admit that I need to improve both my mental and physical skills on fast descents. Most everybody I ride with is able to take them faster - I just don't have the skills or the cajones for fast technical descents.

Last week I hit 71 kph on a long steep roller, but that kind of descent is easy - a straight shot down where I could see all of the road in front of me and I knew most of my momentum would be taken up by the facing climb.

It's the curvy mile-long descents on which I suck. I use the (rear) brake before others would and go slower, and I fall behind. I just don't see how they have either the skills or the confidence to go faster. Of course, usually I'm not racing, so who cares. But sometimes it means losing contact with a group.

Even worse are the curvy mile-long descents on gravel. I've ridden with some guys who just hurtle down those. Don't know how they do it.
Old 08-21-17, 09:45 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
The title says it all: what is actually going through your mind while bombing a descent? For the sake of discussion, I will define "bombing a descent" as an activity in which the rider is tucked and going 40+ MPH (65+ KM/HR).

So this is a question about mental rather than physical technique: for those of you who enjoy bombing descents, what do you think about while going down? Is it the technical aspects of the descent, or something else entirely, or perhaps nothing at all?
Little rocks.

And occasionally ... "lift your inside pedal!"
Old 08-21-17, 11:31 PM
DGlenday

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

^^ This.

Remember to look far ahead. Watch the road surface. Clinch the top tube between my knees if I'm not pedaling. What's the latest point I can brake for this curve and still make it through safely. Best line through this curve ... think like a race car driver. Keep watching that road surface. Can I afford a glance at the Garmin to see my speed? Get my head down ... aero position! Watch that road surface....

Then at the end ... damn, that was a blast! (I've taken it to over 50 a few times, but don't plan to do that too many more times in the future. )

Last edited by DGlenday; 08-21-17 at 11:34 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.