Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

CBD Oil

Old 09-05-17, 12:06 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,490 Times in 543 Posts
CBD Oil

So my wife has been having some knee pain that Doctors haven't figured out yet and one suggested she try CBD oil for temporary relief and she has been using it for a while now.

Saturday night I had some soreness in my left calf muscle after a pretty good ride that day and it was bad enough I was having a hard time sleeping so decided to give it a try. I noticed the pain reduced after about a half hour and when I woke the next morning, there was no pain at all.

Perhaps it was just the muscle recovering but thought I'd mention it. I usually don't experience any serious muscle or joint pain but if I do, I'll use it again.

From what I understand there are lots of fake CBD and hemp oils out there so you have to do some research to find good products. They are not suppose to be psychoactive so no effects like you would get from other medical marijuana products.
Old 09-05-17, 12:21 PM
FBOATSB

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 343 Posts
I have heard nothing but good from users. Technically illegal in Indiana, but readily available over the counter at many stores. Do your research as far as quality is concerned.
Old 09-06-17, 06:43 PM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
You're in CA. You can get a card and visit a reputable medical shop. Here in NorCal it's Harbor.
Old 09-06-17, 08:25 PM
TCR Rider

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8 Giant TCR Advanced 2 Jamis Coda

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 115 Posts
I've been using Hemp Oil for a few months now to deal with some chronic knee pain. It has helped quite a bit even though I still need a knee replacement. I've been able to continue riding up to the surgery, which is tomorrow BTW. It's not magic but IMO it helps. The down side is that it's rather pricey.
I've been using Cannibitol. https://www.hemplandusa.com/index.ph...megrown-Health
Old 09-07-17, 07:06 AM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
On a thread a month or so back Penetrex cream was mentioned. I got some and have been impressed. Only temporary relief for knee tendon inflammation but it has been pretty darn good on arthritis in my neck.

I'll check out the CBD oil too.
Old 09-07-17, 04:08 PM
TCR Rider

Originally Posted by WNCGoater
On a thread a month or so back Penetrex cream was mentioned. I got some and have been impressed. Only temporary relief for knee tendon inflammation but it has been pretty darn good on arthritis in my neck.

I'll check out the CBD oil too.
Funny you have the same attitude as me. I'm always willing to try almost anything if it keeps me on the bike😎
Old 09-07-17, 06:22 PM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Old 09-08-17, 11:08 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1646 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
They are not suppose to be psychoactive so no effects like you would get from other medical marijuana products.
Americanos: If you drug test while using CBD oil, what I read on the internet suggests you'll test negative for THC, quality CBD oil containing at most trace amounts, but you're somewhere between unlikely and very likely (depending on the web page) of testing positive for canniboids (not illegal, if you'll forgive the double negative).

The web pages advise that if one fails the simpler, cheaper canniboids test, file a protest and request a THC retest.

Yakov Smirnoff said it best: "I love this country!"

PS - I use Amsoil MTG oil in my IGH.
Old 09-08-17, 11:19 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Yeah yeah we know pot is just wonderful and will cure anything that ails you.

SNAKE OIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-08-17, 01:36 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I've no idea if the remedy works but I am against TLAs (Three Letter Acronyms).
Old 09-08-17, 02:07 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent

Yes, legal prescription drugs work better.
Old 09-12-17, 10:54 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by TCR Rider
Funny you have the same attitude as me. I'm always willing to try almost anything if it keeps me on the bike😎

The bike helps me keep pain in check, it's sitting in this chair typing that messes my hips up.

Since I'm allergic/contraindicated to all NSAIDs I just grin and bear it. I'm gathering a few of you have worse pains.

The best regimen for pain is not to ignore it. Pain is there for a reason, find out why and fix it.
Old 09-12-17, 11:19 AM
TCR Rider

[QUOTE=Rollfast;19856626]The bike helps me keep pain in check, it's sitting in this chair typing that messes my hips up.

That's been my experience. While waiting for my knee replacement the only thing that I could do with minimal issues was ride the bike. In fact right up to the day before surgery, last Thursday - 9/7, I was riding. Even though I'm on pain meds now I'm still using the CBD oil and it does have a positive effect on the pain level. A bit less Oxy a bit of CBD it's a good combo for me at this point.
Old 09-30-17, 08:08 AM
realyfishy

Bikes: BMC Roadmachine01, Wilier GTS, Nishiki FS2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

OK, then be in pain then...............
Old 10-08-17, 07:59 AM
rydabent
Banned

Doesnt everyone know that rubbing some amazing stuff on your skin is akin to snake oil.

Your skin that keeps things from leaking out does not let things leak in.
Old 10-08-17, 09:37 AM
TCR Rider

Doesnt everyone know that rubbing some amazing stuff on your skin is akin to snake oil.

So then I assume you don't sweat.
Likes For TCR Rider:
Old 10-08-17, 10:59 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts

I would normally assume this was intended to be satirical, given the clear utility of so many topical applications. But your prior post declaring it snake oil leaves one wondering.
Old 10-08-17, 11:04 AM
mileslong

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Snake oil, like many pharmaceuticals, are as effective as you believe them to be....it's called the placebo effect.
Old 10-08-17, 11:37 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
As a personal favor, could everyone who plans to argue in this thread please do at least cursory research? Please don't leave me in the position of having to defend Rydabent.
Old 10-08-17, 02:07 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by mileslong
Snake oil, like many pharmaceuticals, are as effective as you believe them to be....it's called the placebo effect.
The placebo effect is a very real thing. It can be effectively reduced when studying those applications for which efficacy can be definitively quantified. Even then, many pharmaceuticals are not universally effective and that variance can lead to doubt. For applications such as pain relief where measurement of efficacy is always subjective, suspicion of the placebo effect is much greater. Properly conducted double blind studies should in theory shine greater light, yet conclusive results seem difficult to achieve. Is this only because we want to believe?

Lavender oil is fantastic for burns. I was skeptical when it was suggested to me. "It will be like aloe", I thought, "maybe it does a little something, but the pain was going to subside anyway. These things are never as good as believers promise." Then I tried it and the results were amazing. It works wonders, at least for me. OTOH, I had a sample from a doctor of a topical for knee pain. Seemed to work and you used only a small amount of the odorless, quick drying liquid. It was much nicer to use than the OTC preparations. So I asked for a script. When the pharmacist told me it was $50/bottle, I passed as I realized I wasn't all that certain it was all that effective.

If people report that CBD oil is very effective for their pain management applications it could be a placebo effect, but who can definitely say one way or the other? Pretty unlikely I'll try it based on internet testimonials, but my skepticism doesn't serve to prove that it is more likely to have only a placebo effect. Ultimately, when to comes to pain relief does it really matter if something works for any given individual only because of a placebo effect?
Old 10-08-17, 05:26 PM
mileslong

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
The placebo effect is a very real......... when it comes to pain relief does it really matter if something works for any given individual only because of a placebo effect?
Does not matter at all.... hopefully there is something that works for everyone.

I used to use ginger, actually just a splash of ginger ale with my rye.
Old 10-09-17, 10:39 AM
rydabent
Banned

Well-------------if your sweat glands hurt---------------
Old 10-14-17, 04:12 PM
FBOATSB

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by FBOATSB
I have heard nothing but good from users. Technically illegal in Indiana, but readily available over the counter at many stores. Do your research as far as quality is concerned.
I just learned that CBD oil from hemp, as opposed to oil from medical THC containing varieties of marijuana, is indeed legal here. Upon further reading, it seems this type of oil is even more desirable than the medical marijuana varieties for pain relief uses.

"While medical marijuana remains illegal in Indiana, patients can still legally purchase and consume CBD oil that is derived from hemp. CBD hemp oil is federally legal, as CBD hemp oil falls under the same importation and commerce laws as other hemp products. The state of Indiana has no further policy specifically related to CBD hemp oil." https://www.medicalmarijuanainc.com/...-cbd-hemp-oil/

My wife and several friends have been using it for a good while and have had good results. I started today. Will report back if the snakes don't get me.
Indiana is indeed way behind the times with regards to medical marijuana

Last edited by FBOATSB; 10-14-17 at 04:45 PM.
Likes For FBOATSB:
Old 10-18-17, 09:54 AM
rydabent
Banned

Sweat is surface out going, not incoming.
Old 10-18-17, 03:19 PM
LBlady111

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a pretty intensely long history with chronic low back pain post 2 failed back surgeries, have posterior tibial tendinitis in both ankles, had four unrelated foot surgeries, have arthritis in both hands, have had 2 right knee surgeries and here's what I have to say about CBD oil.. some of it is like using whatever over the counter stuff works best for your pain if there is something that does. Some isn't made with any THC and some is (depends on who is making it). You can get either one. If for any reason you have to drug test don't do it having had used something with THC in it. Whether it works for one person or not is probably pretty subjective though I have heard a lot of people say it does work for their discomforts. I find it helps my hands/fingers re arthritis. For my low back I often use a Thermacare heatwrap (has magnets) and that seems to help me quite a bit. I don't think CBD oil or ointment is snake oil tho I would suggest getting it from a reputable collective or person knowledgeable in this industry. Good luck!!!! Whatever helps you to keep moving and stay functional and isn't creating worse problems for you! CBD oil is pretty benign from what I can tell so if it works for you that's great!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.