Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fixed Gear vs. Freewheel

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Fixed Gear vs. Freewheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-17, 02:08 PM
eric044

Bikes: Nashbar Race SIS, Spalding Road Step Through Single Speed, Kent Road Single Speed, 630 Cruiser, Fuji Odessa mountain bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fixed Gear vs. Freewheel

Most of my time with cycles has been spent riding or building up old cycles. In my experience so far fixed gear has had an ease I haven't felt with freewheel. My ease may, in large part, be due to room for improvement with regard to the cassettes. Every time I've tried to take a look at a new road bike it appears they are zipping around on freewheel cassettes.

So, is my experience due mostly to the quality of the freewheels I've tried? Is there an ease with fixed gear that carbon users give up so that they can change gears with Ultegra or Dura Ace? Am I wrong to think that if I want to ride single speed fixed will offer a mechanical advantage over free if the fixed and free cog were to have about the same quality material and weight?
Old 11-13-17, 02:14 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Okay, I read this twice and have no clue what the question is. How do you define "ease" because the classic definition of the word doesn't fit into your context.
Old 11-13-17, 02:16 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22572 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Originally Posted by RPK79
Okay, I read this twice and have no clue what the question is. How do you define "ease" because the classic definition of the word doesn't fit into your context.
I read it three times and am still confused. I am willing to help but don't know what the question is.
Old 11-13-17, 02:23 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I believe he's asking if there is a mechanical advantage to single speed fixed, over single speed freewheel.

Old 11-13-17, 02:32 PM
eric044

Bikes: Nashbar Race SIS, Spalding Road Step Through Single Speed, Kent Road Single Speed, 630 Cruiser, Fuji Odessa mountain bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, the main thing I am concerned about is mechanical advantage. I do see how the word ease could be difficult. I sense fixed gear may cause stiffer maneuvering but also mechanical advantage - could be wrong. I suppose stiffer maneuvering could be safer but also lead to quicker fatigue.
Old 11-13-17, 02:39 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Gain ratio is gain ratio.
All other things comparable - tooth counts, crank arm length, wheel/tire size - there’s near enough zero difference in mechanical advantage between a fixed bike and bike that can coast.
Any difference perceived is either imaginary or due to something else. Fit, frame geometry, stiffness etc
Old 11-13-17, 02:42 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22572 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
I am still slightly confused. If you are pedaling, fixed and freewheel should be roughly the same/equal. But with fixed, you can't coast/rest so all things being equal I think freewheel gives an advantage.

Maybe.
Old 11-13-17, 02:42 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,647 Times in 4,055 Posts
"Kent Road Bike" in bikes list hints towards an answer.

Originally Posted by eric044
So, is my experience due mostly to the quality of the freewheels I've tried?
Probably so. If you consider Kent and Spalding road bikes keepers then yeah, you've been riding bikes with the crappiest imaginable freewheels, derailleurs, shifters, etc. Your single speed conversions surely made them much more enjoyable.
Old 11-13-17, 02:44 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
There's an argument that a derailleur bike is less mechanically efficient compared to a fixed gear due to the additional friction in the system. The bike is obviously lighter, all other things being equal. And you could argue that speed modulation is quicker. But a fixed cog can't make a frameset stiffer, if that's what you're saying.
Old 11-13-17, 02:46 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,647 Times in 4,055 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
But a fixed cog can't make a frameset stiffer, if that's what you're saying.
True dat. My Free Spirit fixed is still whippy as all get out.

Old 11-13-17, 02:48 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
I doubt there is a real difference in mechanical advantage between a fixed cog and a freewheel. Back in the early 20th century, there was a feeling that the convolutions a chain undergoes in a derailleur system introduce an unacceptable degree of friction, but that complaint is no longer taken seriously.

The fundamental issue is that human legs produce maximum power over a fairly narrow RPM range, and having multiple gears allows the rider to stay within that range over a variety of riding conditions. That said, fixed gear training in the off season has long been popular, and can broaden the RPM range over which your legs can produce maximum power. Not to mention, riding fixed gear is fun and satisfying on its own for many people.
Old 11-13-17, 02:54 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
True dat. My Free Spirit fixed is still whippy as all get out.

Now that's what I'm talking about! Just awesome. Well done.
Old 11-13-17, 03:01 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
I would think that differences in chainline, as you move up and down the cassette, might cause some small losses vs a perfectly set-up SS/FG, but I don't think that it would be on the order of magnitude that the butt dyno could accurately detect it. As far as a difference in losses between FG and SS with the same chainline? I don't see it. You sure you're not just getting fooled by your momentum spinning your pedals and making it seem easier?
Old 11-13-17, 03:14 PM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I would think that differences in chainline, as you move up and down the cassette, might cause some small losses vs a perfectly set-up SS/FG, but I don't think that it would be on the order of magnitude that the butt dyno could accurately detect it. As far as a difference in losses between FG and SS with the same chainline? I don't see it. You sure you're not just getting fooled by your momentum spinning your pedals and making it seem easier?
That could be one scenario. A cyclist I used to work with who did local crits and was an ex-bike messenger in Dallas told me that he would prefer his fixed gear for a short uphill TT (there was this stupid steep hill TT in Cedar Hill as a part of a multi-day event). The momentum of the wheel helped him make it over the "dead" spot between where his legs could really work. I could see that.

The only time I've ever ridden a fixed gear was for a day event at a track, but I've been meaning to get one... I don't think I'd want it for a really hilly ride, but fixed gear people are nuts. There is even a local fixed gear touring group. Maybe North Texas is just stranger than even I realize.
Old 11-13-17, 04:35 PM
eric044

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I really like single speed and don't know that I'd use a derailleur except on a racing-style bike, in an area without much to climb. And, if I were to buy a new bike it would be a tough choice between something like a Langster and something like an Emonda. Would like to try to keep up on a Langster before resorting to Emonda.
Old 11-13-17, 05:12 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Would like to try to keep up
When you say "keep up", are you referring to group road riding?
Old 11-13-17, 05:31 PM
caloso

I really like single speed and don't know that I'd use a derailleur except on a racing-style bike, in an area without much to climb. And, if I were to buy a new bike it would be a tough choice between something like a Langster and something like an Emonda. Would like to try to keep up on a Langster before resorting to Emonda.
Our local group ride is pancake flat and occasionally someone will come out and do it on a track bike. A strong rider is a strong rider and if you have the right gearing to keep you at a reasonable cadence, it's totally doable. (Just make sure you put some brakes on it.)
Old 11-13-17, 06:14 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Could be there's an advantage to always keeping your feet moving as opposed to the 2 or 3 stroke then coast thing that some riders do.
Old 11-13-17, 06:31 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
there's no --- ZERO --- mechanical benefit with fixed vs. free wheel. Also keep in mind that a multi gear derailleur system cannot be a fixed gear.

When you ride a freewheel, the unit has no moving parts as you pedal, so for all practical purposes is the same as a fixed wheel. The ONLY difference is that a freewheel allows you to coast if you wish to, while a fixed doesn't.

That said, old timers and coaches do find advantages to fixed gears. It's not mechanical, and is more about helping riders improve cadence and smoothness of their pedaling style, and breaking the habit of coasting, which many do unconsciously. Over the years, I've dealt with riders who couldn't break the habit of coasting over bumps or around curves. I'd put them on a fixed gear bike, and within a short time they'd be cured and could even pedal through hairpin turns without touching then inside pedal.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 11-13-17, 06:39 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
When I read 'mechanical advantage' I think either multiplying force or multiplying distance. Your fixed gear multiplies distance as does any gear ratio greater than 1. There may be an efficiency advantage to having a the chain go through fewer cogs, but it's not a mechanical advantage.
Old 11-13-17, 07:21 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
That said, old timers and coaches do find advantages to fixed gears. It's not mechanical, and is more about helping riders improve cadence and smoothness of their pedaling style, and breaking the habit of coasting, which many do unconsciously. Over the years, I've dealt with riders who couldn't break the habit of coasting over bumps or around curves. I'd put them on a fixed gear bike, and within a short time they'd be cured and could even pedal through hairpin turns without touching then inside pedal.
I've enjoyed loud hubs for the same reason.
Old 11-13-17, 07:31 PM
tmh657

Bikes: A few BSO's.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 27 Posts
That said, old timers and coaches do find advantages to fixed gears. It's not mechanical, and is more about helping riders improve cadence and smoothness of their pedaling style, and breaking the habit of coasting, which many do unconsciously.
Indeed. I still ride a a fixed gear and I am old. I know it helps cadence and pedal motion when riding a geared bike. My legs become accustomed to pulling the pedals all the way around the stroke. Last week I changed to a 17t cog and rode some gradual hills on 53 x 17. It was fun.
Old 11-13-17, 09:59 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No, there is no mechanical advantage to fixed gear as long as the work is continuous, but fixed gear offers the substantial advantage of maintaining momentum throughout the system even when you stop applying force. With a freewheel, every time you stop pedaling, you have to overcome inertia in your legs and the drivetrain AGAIN. With fixed, this isn't an issue unless you worked against momentum and tried to stop the bike. With a freewheel, the instant you stop working, you loose momentum in your legs and the drivetrain whether you like it or not, and you actually have to work in order to "soft pedal." A fixed does the soft pedaling for you. Also: the sound of a freewheel clicking is the sound of energy being thrown away, and if you don't hear it, it's because that same energy is being used to warm up your hub.
Old 11-13-17, 10:32 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
.....Also: the sound of a freewheel clicking is the sound of energy being thrown away, and if you don't hear it, it's because that same energy is being used to warm up your hub.
Sorry, but this last bit was just too much.

The amount of energy lost to friction in the freewheel clutch is so tiny as to be meaningless. In any case it's much less than the amount of energy lost to friction in a chain drive.

If anyone doubts this, I suggest you set up a freewheel bike (single speed or derailleur doesn't matter) and a fixed gear bike as well as possible. Bring both wheels to the same speed, and let go of the cranks. Does anyone want to bet a couple of beers which coasts to a stop first?

This last claim is why I responded, but the first part about momentum in the legs is equally flawed, maybe more so. Our legs are not well oiled machines and it takes considerable energy to work them, even without producing any power. Riders of fixed wheel bike know this because they need to work even on descents, not to power the bike as much as to help keep the cranks turning and not be bouncing around as they turn.

We run into parallel issues which may be instructive in the auto world. Those looking to maximize fuel economy will either clutch or shift to neutral and "coast" down hills. BITD Saabs used to have an overrunning clutch so they could "freewheel" down hills and save fuel. The problem with freewheel descents is that the engine braking is important in that it's drag helps the brakes and prevents brake fade, which is why the practice is reserved for fuel economy contests.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 11-14-17, 05:24 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sorry, but this last bit was just too much.

The amount of energy lost to friction in the freewheel clutch is so tiny as to be meaningless. In any case it's much less than the amount of energy lost to friction in a chain drive.

If anyone doubts this, I suggest you set up a freewheel bike (single speed or derailleur doesn't matter) and a fixed gear bike as well as possible. Bring both wheels to the same speed, and let go of the cranks. Does anyone want to bet a couple of beers which coasts to a stop first?

This last claim is why I responded, but the first part about momentum in the legs is equally flawed, maybe more so. Our legs are not well oiled machines and it takes considerable energy to work them, even without producing any power. Riders of fixed wheel bike know this because they need to work even on descents, not to power the bike as much as to help keep the cranks turning and not be bouncing around as they turn.

We run into parallel issues which may be instructive in the auto world. Those looking to maximize fuel economy will either clutch or shift to neutral and "coast" down hills. BITD Saabs used to have an overrunning clutch so they could "freewheel" down hills and save fuel. The problem with freewheel descents is that the engine braking is important in that it's drag helps the brakes and prevents brake fade, which is why the practice is reserved for fuel economy contests.
I knew someone would react to that last bit about the sound of the hub. It was intended to be rhetorical, but you know it is literally true to some extent. As for your experiment, we might be surprised. I don't have a computer on my FG to check speed, but I tried it just now, and was surprised by how the FG compared to the regular bike I had in the stand and tried first. (BTW, I'm really annoyed by how noisy the new aero wheel is, but it's so sexy looking, I forgive it).

Not sure what your objection is to the notion that it's an advantage of FG to sustain momentum in the legs - an advantage with respect to moving forward and maintaining speed. Yes, the disadvantage of fixed is that one usually has to work to slow down or maintain control on descents, but that's not a flaw of the drivetrain system as such. The purpose of a drivetrain is to propel one forward, not to slow one down, but I will concede that it's usually a good thing if it can help in the latter regard, too. I know this, because the most exhausting ride I ever did was the NYC Century on the FG (and not even the whole thing). Not because there were any challenging inclines - in fact, the little hills were a relief. It was all the STOPPING that killed me.

Last edited by kbarch; 11-14-17 at 05:28 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.