Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

What made you pull the trigger on a Fatbike?

Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

What made you pull the trigger on a Fatbike?

Old 12-26-17, 09:22 AM
MaxKatt
TeeOhPea 2tha DeeOhGee

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 75 Posts
I was having the shop build a road bike for me and the owner offered me his used carbon fatty at a reasonable price. I bit. Never came close to regretting. So much fun.

I don't ride as aggressively as I used to. I feel bad, but my Felt Virtue 3 full suspension doesn't see much action anymore. Girlfriend doesn't like to ride so aggressive, so between that, getting older...and the fat being so fun...I find I'm riding fat off roads almost exclusively these days.
Attached Images

Last edited by MaxKatt; 12-26-17 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-26-17, 11:12 AM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by PdalPowr
If I can make one into a bike that can handle bare roads well besides snow and
trail I will pull the pin in a hurry. ��
I ride my fattie on regular roads with no issues whatsoever. I use it as a fitness bike as it requires more exertion than my hybrid to cover the same route/distance. Another added bonus is that drivers are nice to me on the roads!

The tyres on mine are 4.4inch Jumbo Jims. They work fine on normal roads.

I believe you can get fat tyres that are smoother that the knobbly ones so will work even better on regular roads, and this is something that I'm likely to do next year.
Old 01-03-18, 10:04 PM
fixedweasel

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I live near an (30-50 mile) asphalt trail that meanders off onto horse trails and near the trails along the North Branch of the Chicago River. I decided to buy a Fat Bike, for the winter only, as my other riding/training is all road/track during the non-snow months. I didn't want to spend a lot of money but wanted something that was lighter and that I could swap parts out if need from my bins in my shop. I ended up going with a Mongoose Vinson about 3 years ago.* I pulled it apart, rebuilt some of it and used mostly parts that I had about albeit I did buy some stuff for it. Since it is an only winter bike, I invested in some Surly Nates and I put some BB7's on there as well as a Deore RD, Sun Race thumb shifters, new headset, carbon bits (stem/bar/seatpin), some SPD's and an Aspide white saddle.*** Made my own rim strips as well. The bike is now around 30 pounds and suits the intended purpose perfectly for what I need. It was only 10F here today but I rode for about 2.5 hours. What a great way to get outside on your bike in the snow.

*paid $297** for it on a Black Friday Sale
**steal
***ride those on all my bikes
Old 01-04-18, 08:37 AM
pcf

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I realized the only exercise I enjoy is riding a bike, so I wanted something for the winter, beaches, and trails.

Last edited by pcf; 01-05-18 at 04:51 AM.
Old 01-04-18, 11:41 AM
Hatchet

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Well?
I started bike commuting to work in September and wanted to continue to do so throughout the winter. So far, so good. I was planning on taking the non-maintained bike bath that I do in Spring/Summer/Fall, but with the amount of snow we've been getting, it is very slow going. It is fun to ride that path, but commuting 5 miles each way through 4-6 inches of snow is too slow, so I end up taking streets.
Old 01-04-18, 12:51 PM
PdalPowr

Bikes: Norco hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Yes sir

It sounds like you have life in the right gear.
Old 01-07-18, 05:06 AM
PaddleFoot

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OMG, I am weakening fast.

Took a ride to a Performance bike shop and a friend was looking hard at a fatty. Very nice lady stopped to talk about her bike and how much she loves and rides it. I told him "you get one and I'll buy one", as I have always felt the same about the niche bike, and I know he won't actually do it. I then had an epiphany: Everyone glows about their FB and I love riding bikes. I'm retired and if I spend some more money, the world won't stop for me.

Bicycles are a slippery slope, but having those wide tires should help a lot.
Old 01-08-18, 07:28 AM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by PaddleFoot
OMG, I am weakening fast.

Took a ride to a Performance bike shop and a friend was looking hard at a fatty. Very nice lady stopped to talk about her bike and how much she loves and rides it. I told him "you get one and I'll buy one", as I have always felt the same about the niche bike, and I know he won't actually do it. I then had an epiphany: Everyone glows about their FB and I love riding bikes. I'm retired and if I spend some more money, the world won't stop for me.

Bicycles are a slippery slope, but having those wide tires should help a lot.
Resistance is futile. The allure of a fat bike is irresistible!
Old 01-08-18, 11:35 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
They're a versitile bike for someone who lives in an area with cold winters and likes to ride offroad a bit. Owning a fat bike has opened up an entire season to more cycling. I used to dread snow as it (mostly) prevented riding. Now, a few inches is something to look forward to. Also, most fat bikes are surprisingly capable and fast trail machines. This hit home to me with watching a tight trail race around here in the summer: the fatbikes were extremely competitive with regular mountain bikes. The guys on fatties were absolutely bombing sketchy descents and not losing much time on climbs.
Old 01-08-18, 05:24 PM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts
I'm in Southern California and have no need for a fat bike. But one day I happen to be on Trek's website and noticed an incredibly cool, and useful looking MB/Fatty. I happen to be looking for a Trail/Enduro MB to complement my Cross Country. This bike perfectly fit the bill. It comes with full suspension, 27.5" wheels, and carbon everywhere. It climbs incredibly well, and bombs hills like a downhill bike. Its incredible! And believe me, I ain't no Trek fanboy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0896.jpg (1.02 MB, 326 views)
Old 01-12-18, 03:29 PM
fitlerbend

Bikes: TREK Stache 5, 2013 Cannonade Carbon 1, DaVinci In2Ition tandem, RANS Screamer, Giant Expressway 1, 1975 Crescent Mark XX, Tern Link 7, Montague Paratrooper, Raleigh Talus 29, Trek LIFT, Novara Randonee, Specialized Fatboy

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
Jones bars - jones bikes.com - are the answer!
Old 01-15-18, 02:34 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by taz777
Resistance is futile. The allure of a fat bike is irresistible!
Took awhile, but I finally succumbed. My Framed Wolftrax should arrive in about a week. The shop is swapping out the brakes for a set of STX hydraulics, then I'll be set to go. Been thinking about getting one to ride in the winter. When I retired, I moved from the land of perpetual summer to a place that has real winters with snow on the ground.
Old 01-25-18, 02:07 PM
voldemort
Sheik Yerbouti

Location: in the state of Confusion, formerly from state of Denial

Bikes: 2006 Trek Pilot 2.1, Jamis Sputnik 2009

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The first 30 seconds of a test ride in a forest preserve.
Old 01-25-18, 02:24 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Pull the trigger? The voices in my head got quieter when I threw my leg over a wicked green Farley 8. Plus it's green. First pedal stroke of many rides I say " Hulk Smash"
Old 02-10-18, 04:06 PM
splithub

Bikes: FSIR Spin 2.0/Spin 5.1 Noahhk iF10

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
...i was attracted of the wider space between the dropouts. I planned to mount a combustion engine onto the rear axle between the left and right spokes and a splitted hub (like revo-powerwheel but non-rotating). Dont worry about, project is stuck since long time because my lazyness and i wouldnt dare calling it a bicycle after. would be a trial motorcycle. Hahaha....
Old 02-19-18, 07:01 AM
SHOFINE

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 15 Posts
For years I used to run on the beach and after my knee started bothering I took up biking again. After getting my Trek Sawyer I started riding on the beach at low tide. Little by little I started paying attention to fat bikes. I was thinking about getting one of those Walgoose fattys but thankfully I picked the On One Fatty. Now I have FAT on the Brain as I have 3 fat bikes and just built up a 650b+ wheelset for my Sawyer.

When you have 100's of miles of such beautiful beaches in the FL panhandle it was easy!

Old 02-19-18, 08:45 AM
PdalPowr

Watch out for Sand Sharks.
Old 02-19-18, 03:24 PM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
I'd been riding in winter on 32mm studs but I couldn't handle snow. Got a SS 29er with 2.5 inch studs. Better, but still not enough. Fatbike with 4.7 inch unstudded tires is just right. Plus I love it for trail riding in the summer. I don't mind going slow as long as I can go slow over anything.
Old 02-19-18, 03:53 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,497 Times in 3,009 Posts
I just bought one for the heck of it not knowing if I would like it or not. So once I ordered one there was no going back. And the bike has been a blast running over almost anything I even started fixing the bike up. I live in a warm climate so no snow but plenty of rough terrain so I am hooked. I also frequent the beach since I surf fish so I plan on some beach riding.
Old 02-19-18, 04:15 PM
Cuyuna

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gettingold
What are your thoughts on those drop bars? The flat bars on my fat bike leave my wrists in agony.
If flat bars leave your wrists in agony, drop bars are definitely going to be a no-go. I just ditched my Crossrip for an FX specifically for that reason. Drop bars put too much pressure on my wrists because they pull me too far forward. Over the last 25 years, I have tens of thousands of miles on my good ol' Paramount Series 5, but I reached an age where I just can't do that anymore. If your wrist pain is due to arthritis, which it probably is, then the best route to happiness for you is likely going to me a more upright riding position, as in bars higher and closer. Sometimes greater sweep helps, a carbon bar will help, and grips especially will help. I use Ergons and they're excellent...they allow broader pressure on the little-finger side of your palm, relieving pressure on the more arthritic part of your wrist.

I switched my bars to a carbon riser bar with 9 degree sweep and a stem with a steeper angle and shorter reach.

Old 05-20-18, 08:20 PM
davzimmermann

Bikes: '93 Bridgestone X05, '04 Cannondale F2000

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A guy offered a trade for my 29er—which ironically I found cumbersome and boring. When we met for the test ride, I planned on saying no, but after one ride, I was trying to fit the thing on my bike rack.
Old 05-21-18, 09:02 PM
lurch0038

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I wanted to find a bike that I could ride on the beach while fishing, this led me to a fat bike. After riding the fatbike on my local trails I love this thing! As we all know these fatties just roll over EVERYTHING. Now I have not used my touring bike since I purchased my fatbike and now looking to go on an off ride tour with my fatbike.
Old 06-07-18, 11:11 PM
pabbe

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I frequent the beach every month or so for a weekend get-away. My hybrid is pretty much useless there. Had to buy a fat bike to have fun
Old 06-21-18, 05:33 AM
FrontFive

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd been riding a Karate Monkey with slick tyres to and from work and found that the fatter the tyres, the more I enjoyed riding it. Also, I couldn't help but be attracted to the cartoonish, monster truck kind of stance of fat bikes. So when I came into some money last year, and after much deliberation I took a chance and pulled the trigger on an Ice Cream Truck. I was very apprehensive as, despite owning the KM, I hadn't really ridden a mountain bike off road and worried that I was going to be buying something I hated. However I couldn't pass up the opportunity. Glad I'm didn't as I love it.
Old 06-22-18, 04:38 PM
PdalPowr

What made me pull the trigger?
Because I have been reading about you all having too much fun without me.🤗
Actually I have been staring at them in the window at my L.B.S.,
encouraging riders pounding up a hill in the winter and
just generally getting tired of my wistful demeanor.🙂

I am the proud new owner of a 2017 Norco Sasquatch.😀
My L.B.S. fit it to me. Mostly by installing a longer upward angled stem.
my back just can't take being bent over much.🤗

But I am there finally.😀
Thanks for answering all my newbie questions.😊
There will be more to come I am sure.😉

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.