Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trainer Tire Bulge Issue

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Trainer Tire Bulge Issue

Old 01-17-18, 03:18 PM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 62 Posts
Trainer Tire Bulge Issue

Hi,

I recently purchased and went through the horrible struggle of putting the Cycleops trainer tire on my rear tire. I'm using the Cycleops Magus trainer and keep getting a bulge in the sidewall during use. In order to fix this I need to deflate the tire, massage the bulged area back into place, then re-inflate (typically to only 60-80psi). I then get a bulge in another portion of the sidewall.

Anyone have any thoughts as to why this is happening? It has never occurred with a non-trainer tire, the tube being used is, well, used, could that be causing a problem?
Old 01-19-18, 12:39 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
tube too big?
Old 01-19-18, 01:41 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,915 Posts
Hard to tell without seeing the problem. Two possibilities: 1) uneven seating of the tire bead. 2) Casing failure in the tire itself.

To fix the first, you would re-seat the tire, perhaps using soapy water on the bead to encourage it to move into the proper location. To fix the second problem, replace the tire.
Old 01-19-18, 01:49 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,425 Times in 1,341 Posts
I suspect that you're running with excess roller pressure. The pressure is massaging the tire, and slowly walking it around the rim causing slack areas to form.

This may be compounded by an oil film on the rim, or something else making it slippery.

1- keep tires full to near max pressure
2- adjust roller pressure to the least amount that prevents slippage in normal use at full rpm. This may still allow slippage with sudden acceleration, but that's not a problem since it's not how you actually use the trainer. If the pressure i8s right, the tire will only be slightly depressed at the roller contact point, and you can make it slip if you yank the wheel while holding the flywheel. (but not easily).
3- if all is OK and you've minimized roller pressure, and still have the problem, remove the tire, clean the inside of the rim with acetone, mineral spirits, or 90% isopropyl alcohol. Do the same for the tire's bead area, but using only dish detergent and water, and rinse well.

If you've done all the above, and still have an issue, it might be the tire, but I'd be surprised.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-19-18, 04:31 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 88 Posts
If it's just that tire, it may be a crappy tire. Manufacturing defect. The way you say "horrible struggle" putting the tire on makes me think there is some kind of compatibility issue. 60-80psi seems low, too. Why the need to have a trainer-specific tire? Seems like it's a PITA to install anyway. My trainer's roller is not metal, so it's very gentle on the tires. Does this one have a metal roller, and is the wear you get on it worth the added struggle of switching to this trainer tire which is giving you trouble?
Old 01-21-18, 06:15 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by firebird854
Hi,

I recently purchased and went through the horrible struggle of putting the Cycleops trainer tire on my rear tire. I'm using the Cycleops Magus trainer and keep getting a bulge in the sidewall during use. In order to fix this I need to deflate the tire, massage the bulged area back into place, then re-inflate (typically to only 60-80psi). I then get a bulge in another portion of the sidewall.

Anyone have any thoughts as to why this is happening? It has never occurred with a non-trainer tire, the tube being used is, well, used, could that be causing a problem?
Your tire pressure is way too low for a 23mm tire. Your tire is walking around the rim under the pressure of the roller as FBinNY explains. Inflate to the normal riding pressure or higher.

The force your roller places on the tire is controlled totally by the tire pressure. This means, if your tire is slipping excessively, inflate the tire to a higher pressure so you can get more roller force on the tire.

EDIT: thinking about it more, my previous explanation wasn't quite right. By inflating your tire more, the same amount of deflection from the roller gives you more friction. By using a low tire pressure, you are forced to screw the roller down proportionately more. Thus, to increase the friction to the roller, you want to increase the tire pressure. Lowering it decreases your friction to the roller and forces you to screw the roller down further.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter

Last edited by Brian Ratliff; 01-21-18 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-21-18, 07:55 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
I agree with what is the point of a trainer tire. I just use my old tires saved for this purpose. I stop riding tires a little before the tread is completely gone. They are perfect for the trainer. And cheap. Did I mention cheap. Also because they are fully used, they are stretched and easy to mount.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 01-21-18, 08:46 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
I agree with what is the point of a trainer tire. I just use my old tires saved for this purpose. I stop riding tires a little before the tread is completely gone. They are perfect for the trainer. And cheap. Did I mention cheap. Also because they are fully used, they are stretched and easy to mount.
I have 2 old 23's in my closet for just this reason. I also have a barely used set of 19's that came on my track bike when I bought it. Very sketchy for the road but for a trainer it should be just fine. Current tires on my trainer? End of life for both, so those will be saved as well. Should be good for a few years I would imagine.
Old 01-22-18, 04:31 PM
faulker479

Bikes: Synapse, Slate

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I used the original tires that came with my first road bike on the trainer until the casing started separating because of the heat. After running out of old tire stock to use, I got a trainer specific tire. The compound is supposed to be better for the trainer(cannot verify that yet since I've only had it for a few weeks) and it definitely is quieter than an outdoor tire.

IF you don't have a spare tire to put in use on the trainer, a trainer tire isn't a bad purchase.
Old 01-23-18, 11:09 AM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 62 Posts
Just to clarify a few things, I burned through 2 spare tires (they were already pretty used) before getting the trainer tire. I did have the bulge issue fixed, it looks like the Kevlar in the trainer tire was coming apart under the rubber in that particular area, I may have damaged it when I put it on initially.

I returned the trainer tire to my LBS, actually found that it was still under warranty, and had it replaced free of charge (which rocks cause it's a $35 tire). I even paid the $5 to have them put it on the tire and it has been perfect ever since.
Old 01-24-18, 12:51 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
If you experience problems again with seating a new tire or bulges, check the rim tape/strip as well. Sometimes that can interfere with seating tight fitting tires. I've solved that problem by using either thinner rim strips or narrower cloth tape -- either leaves a bit more room for the bead.