Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Zwift - general thread - comments, questions, tips and achievements.

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Zwift - general thread - comments, questions, tips and achievements.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-18, 07:35 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Beachgrad05
Hmmm. I have red bike and my jersey is black with grey mountain on sleep with 100 in inside. No color.
Weird.....mine is blue....I will have to check this out. I just assumed. Not sure why there are different colors then
Old 02-07-18, 07:38 PM
ericy
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
Got the 500W/10s achievement. I did it in conjunction with the sprint on the 'flat' loop since I seem to drop the hammer every time I get to it. I tried to hold it at 600 to make sure I got the thing this time around. While I got it, unfortunately it is only worth another 100xp.

I am now about 40 miles (1200xp) from level 10. That's my project for the weekend..
Old 02-07-18, 10:20 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by ericy
Got the 500W/10s achievement. I did it in conjunction with the sprint on the 'flat' loop since I seem to drop the hammer every time I get to it. I tried to hold it at 600 to make sure I got the thing this time around. While I got it, unfortunately it is only worth another 100xp.

I am now about 40 miles (1200xp) from level 10. That's my project for the weekend..
Congrats. Level 10 gets you the Zipp 808 wheels. Some say best wheels on zwift and they look awesome on the bike. I use them.
Old 02-08-18, 11:55 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by ericy

I SWEAR TO GOD I've held my power at 550+ for 15-20 sec and never gotten that damn achievement.

And yet somehow I have all the hidden ones clear up to 1200W or whatever the highest one is...
Old 02-08-18, 02:35 PM
ericy
Señor Member

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I SWEAR TO GOD I've held my power at 550+ for 15-20 sec and never gotten that damn achievement.

And yet somehow I have all the hidden ones clear up to 1200W or whatever the highest one is...
In my previous attempt, I could zoom into the important bit in Strava, and see where the power dipped below 500.

That's why I was trying to hold to something more like 600 rather than 550 - just to leave myself some extra room. I started counting down in my mind as I started the sprint, and I think the achievement came up before I even went under the banner.
Old 02-11-18, 03:32 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Hit level 15 today.....finally. Working on the Tron bike now.....that is going to take forever!
Old 02-11-18, 03:42 PM
ericy
Señor Member

Originally Posted by sdmc530
Hit level 15 today.....finally. Working on the Tron bike now.....that is going to take forever!
The best thing to do is just set it and then forget about it for a good long while. For me it could take a good year, I think.

My recent progress towards that has been slower - mainly because I have been trying to avoid the big climbs and get more miles in towards level 10. Getting tired of "Volcano Flat" loops, but that's coming to an end. The last time I looked, I was at "Base camp 2" or some such. Maybe about 44% of the initial Everest climb.
Old 02-11-18, 05:39 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

I am like 36% on everst. Will keep climbing its good training for spring no matter
Old 02-13-18, 08:14 AM
Podagrower

Bikes: Giant Defy Composite, Spechialized Ruby (hers), Niner RLT9, Miyata 712, Condor ??

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
I have to contradict myself on something. I've said there is no reason to use a trainer tire (and since I have 5 or 6 tires I wouldn't trust on the road, I don't care if I wear them out on the trainer) but I bought one anyway just to see the difference. With my road tire, I had tire slip on grades over 7% which sucks a lot. With the trainer tire, I have not yet made it slip with a maximum grade of 13%.
Old 02-13-18, 09:01 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by Podagrower
I have to contradict myself on something. I've said there is no reason to use a trainer tire (and since I have 5 or 6 tires I wouldn't trust on the road, I don't care if I wear them out on the trainer) but I bought one anyway just to see the difference. With my road tire, I had tire slip on grades over 7% which sucks a lot. With the trainer tire, I have not yet made it slip with a maximum grade of 13%.

Oh I can absolutely see the advantages of having a "turbo tire" on the trainer for sure, but like you I have a bunch of tires that are not good enough to run daily, but too good to throw away so I am burning them up on the trainer. When I get through them I will get a proper tire too.

I will say I had a cheap nashbar tire and went through that thing super fast on the trainer, then I had a Michelin that was in good shape but not good enough to use....that tire has been a rock star. I have put 400 miles on it and not sign of giving up quite yet.
Old 02-14-18, 08:36 AM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I use a turbo tire ... Tacx ... very pleased with it
Old 02-15-18, 12:59 PM
WaldoIA

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone doing the clyde race in about 30 minutes? I'll be doing the 100kg+ group
Old 02-15-18, 02:46 PM
digitalbroccoli

Bikes: 2015 Emonda S 5

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I feel like I've searched all over the place, but I'm obviously not using the right string, so i'm throwing this here so that maybe someone can push me in the right direction. Zwift has so many supported setups, is there a consensus on what the most economical way into Zwift is? I want to jump in, but I'm trying to dodge the accounting department too. I've always just run a mag trainer so I'm going to need to purchase some stuff...but I'm struggling to figure out what the best way in is.

tl;dr is there a "zwift for cheap dummies" thread someplace?

Edit...might have figured it out...looks like I can run a mag trainer and use the ant+ speed/cadence sensor...woohoo, might have this figured out.

Last edited by digitalbroccoli; 02-15-18 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-15-18, 02:49 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by WaldoIA
Anyone doing the clyde race in about 30 minutes? I'll be doing the 100kg+ group
How did it go? I'm at work or I would have given it a go. Up to this point I've done 1 4 lap flat WBR race and 2 1 lap flat WBR races. I was dead last in the 4 lap race in D cat but after a couple months of Zwifting I was able to get 2nd and then 1st in the 1 lap races. Time to up the ante I suppose.
Old 02-15-18, 02:58 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Originally Posted by digitalbroccoli
I feel like I've searched all over the place, but I'm obviously not using the right string, so i'm throwing this here so that maybe someone can push me in the right direction. Zwift has so many supported setups, is there a consensus on what the most economical way into Zwift is? I want to jump in, but I'm trying to dodge the accounting department too. I've always just run a mag trainer so I'm going to need to purchase some stuff...but I'm struggling to figure out what the best way in is.

tl;dr is there a "zwift for cheap dummies" thread someplace?

Edit...might have figured it out...looks like I can run a mag trainer and use the ant+ speed/cadence sensor...woohoo, might have this figured out.
So how cheap all comes down to what you own now. As you've edited to...mag trainer with SC sensor and some platform to run it on is best low cost entry.

Old 02-15-18, 03:00 PM
WaldoIA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grasschopper
How did it go? I'm at work or I would have given it a go. Up to this point I've done 1 4 lap flat WBR race and 2 1 lap flat WBR races. I was dead last in the 4 lap race in D cat but after a couple months of Zwifting I was able to get 2nd and then 1st in the 1 lap races. Time to up the ante I suppose.
I put out decent power for me, but was last in the CAT. I wasn't expecting a 18.5 mile hilly route. I prefer the 1 lap flat races, my power drops off pretty hard after about 20 minutes.
Old 02-15-18, 05:21 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Note that if you're using "z-power" (ie a mag trainer with a power profile in zwift) you will probably get disqualified from race results. I don't think you should let that stop you, you just won't officially win any fake races against fake people.
Old 02-15-18, 07:25 PM
digitalbroccoli

Bikes: 2015 Emonda S 5

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Gang! I'm actually picking up my new baby this weekend (A trek with the duotrap thing), and I actually have a friend who has the cycleops fluid 2 that he offered to let me borrow until I decide what I want to go with.

Last edited by digitalbroccoli; 02-15-18 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-15-18, 07:29 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Note that if you're using "z-power" (ie a mag trainer with a power profile in zwift) you will probably get disqualified from race results. I don't think you should let that stop you, you just won't officially win any fake races against fake people.

Yeppers....my trainer was way off one day for some reason and had to re-calibrate it. I was getting power readings of like 10.5 and plus and I got a message saying if I am a pro I should be riding the tour de france not zwift or some crazy message. Then prompted me to check my trainer for calibration.

made me laugh....
Old 02-15-18, 07:30 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by digitalbroccoli
Thanks Gang! I'm actually picking up my new baby this weekend (A trek with the duotrap thing), and I actually have a friend who has the cycleops fluid 2 that he offered to let me borrow until I decide what I want to go with.

One last question, I don't need an IOS device, correct? If I'm running Zwift on my laptop, I don't actually need the IOS device to control anything, right?

correct, laptop, pad, iphone dangle near anything these days. If you use a laptop you need the doppler plug thing though. I use IOS but there is one extra deal you need with a laptop. A laptop user can explain it better I am sure.
Old 02-16-18, 08:13 AM
Podagrower

Bikes: Giant Defy Composite, Spechialized Ruby (hers), Niner RLT9, Miyata 712, Condor ??

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
So we all remember "Fire on the Mountain" by The Marshall Tucker Band, right?
"And there's fire on the mountain, lightnin' in the air
Gold in them hills and it's waitin' for me there"

Came up with this little bit the other night.
Clydes on the mountain, cursin's in the air
Ain't got the legs to get my fat a$$ there
Old 02-16-18, 09:11 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

See sadly that attitude is a big part of the problem here. Too many people think of it that way. The reality is that these are real races against real people and the people with the attitude posted above is why there are so many people racing in WAY too low of a category and or weight doping.

I was in a race last week and there was a group of about 4 riders that went off the front and was holding 3.3w/kg. Clearly much stronger riders than D category. In chat someone complained and then there was a chat fight about it...these guys clearly had your attitude from the things that were said. But there are those of us that want to test ourselves against other riders of our ability level. In the end I actually won the category because the 6 riders that finished in front of me were all disqualified. That said I'd much rather know who I'm actually racing against.

There is real money on the line for many of these races and in some cases real pro contracts (not that I will ever ride for either). It's a fake race as much as any local outdoor cat 3-5 race is. It's just a game indoors or out...but people that cheat at games can rot in hell as far as I'm concerned.

Note I'm not calling zpower users cheaters here...if you have a dumb trainer by all means please come out and race.
Old 02-16-18, 11:44 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

You will need an ANT+ dongle for your laptop to pick up the speed and cadence sensors from your bike. It's unlikely you'll be able to use your laptop's built in bluetooth for some reason. Most people also suggest a USB extension cord so you can get the ANT+ sensor right under your bike.

When pairing sensors in zwift, you should choose the FEC version of ANT+, it seems to be much more reliable than regular ANT+
Old 02-16-18, 11:44 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Zwift to me is a video game, nothing more. Some people take it very seriously that is fine, doesn't bother me but yes there are bunch of cheaters on zwift I would bet on it. I bet the average weight entered on zwift is on an average 25lbs less than actual weight because it gives you HUGE advantage to do so. I use zwift to winter ride to get better and don't give a dang about anybody else numbers. Oh yeah the folks at zwift don't care either I bet unless membership drops because of it. Too hard to control and regulate.

I will probably get crap for this comment but if you take zwift that darn seriously you should provably race real people and not on a video game.
Old 02-16-18, 12:38 PM
WaldoIA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just like the races because I push myself much harder to finish and give it my all. In the workouts if I'm starting to get tired I just back off and take a rest.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.