Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Mips

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-18, 06:31 AM
adele87

Bikes: 2018 Trek CrossRip 2 & 2017 Trek Emonda S

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mips

Anyone use MIPS Helmets (Multi-directional impact protection system)? Some reports do say they're a little safer. https://vtnews.vt.edu/articles/2018/06/ictas-bikehelmetratings.html

I have a MIPS white helmet from Cannondale.
Old 07-09-18, 06:56 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10158 Post(s)
Liked 5,849 Times in 3,150 Posts
What that report says is that they perform better in bench tests, which someone thinks model events, which lots of people, in turn, think probably have something causative to do with the mechanism of concussion. The theory is plausible enough, but for me, as a neurologist involved with research on TBI among other things, there's enough uncertainty in that chain of inference that I am not going to trade in my non-MIPS helmet at this time.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 07-09-18 at 07:01 AM.
Old 07-09-18, 07:22 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I'm not inclined to go out of my way for MIPS either, but (as a data scientist) more because the reduction of risk is going to be insufficient in absolute terms. I'd go with the neurologist on this but I think it probably does (or could) help to some degree, because it's more solid that rotational forces can cause concussions and less solid that MIPS actually mitigates it.
Old 07-09-18, 07:32 AM
MoAlpha
• —

As a neuroscientist, I listen carefully to data scientists.
Old 07-09-18, 07:51 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Is there a downside to getting one, other than having to dust off your wallet?
Old 07-09-18, 08:17 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Is there a downside to getting one, other than having to dust off your wallet?
Can't think of one and if I were shopping for a new helmet, it would certainly be a consideration.
Old 07-09-18, 08:59 AM
adele87

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wasn't implying you should trash your nonMIPS helmet. Simply wanting to know if others used it and what they thought. It' fairly new.

HOWEVER I got one and in the past I went cheap on helmets (Like Target cheap). Bike store helmets seem to offer a better fit (sizes vs 1 size fits all) which I assume offers more protection in and of itself. MIPS or not.
Old 07-09-18, 09:29 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by adele87
Anyone use MIPS Helmets (Multi-directional impact protection system)? Some reports do say they're a little safer. https://vtnews.vt.edu/articles/2018/...etratings.html

I have a MIPS white helmet from Cannondale.
I have one... but it wasn't a significant factor in my choice of helmet, more like a small, nice bonus.
Old 07-09-18, 10:20 AM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Personally, I think this test included so few different models of helmets that I do not think the data can be meaningfully extrapolated to make conclusions about other helmet models that were not tested. If you're in the market for a new helmet, then looking at the top rated helmets from this study may be worth your time, but I still think that a good fit is more important than test results. Since so few helmets were tested, some people will not be able to get a good fit from any of their top rated helmets.
Old 07-09-18, 10:40 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
My first rule of helmet is that I shouldn't spend so much on a helmet that I get reluctant to dump it if it gets dinged. I like to have two helmets on hand just so I don't get tempted to try to stretch the use of one I should discard, and I just ordered a $45 helmet with MIPS. Depending on how it fits, it will either become my new primary helmet, my back-up helmet, or get returned.

Second rule, BTW is that it has to fit snugly but comfortably.

Loving the data scientist/neurologist conversation, BTW. Thanks!
Old 07-09-18, 11:22 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Some of you have heard me say this before. I was sold on MIPS as soon as I read about it because 3 weeks earlier I had a hard crash, over the bars and landing on my leftside helmet and shoulder/ I felt my helmet hit, was fully aware of it grinding into the pavement. Then, mercifully, my brain stopped recording. The injuries kept piking up - broken collarbone, a couple of cracked ribs, acres of road rash. Apparently I flipped over and had more bruising and road rash on the other side.

Two things stood out. 1) no concussion what-so-ever. I am very familiar with concussions. I had a massive TBI 40 years ago and have NFL caliber LBS. (Loose Brain Syndrome. My words but any NFL player would get what I am talking about immediately.) And 2), apparently my helmet strap was loose. The helmet spun on my head, knocking off my glasses and the chinstrap nearly removing my ear. (My face was a mess.)

That I had no concussion at all blew me away, I have had many concussions from far more minor crashes, some even when my head never touched the pavement. (That LBS.) (Yes, there was that moment when I "blacked out" but that was just my brain saying "you don't need to witness this". I had no discontinuity of time. I knew there was a car a ways behind me before I crashed. When the crash stopped, my mind snapped back to "on", I looked back and the car was right where it should have been. I got up and walked around the adjacent park The rider behind me questioned me for evidence of concussion and I passed his quiz nicely. (He obviously had some experience/training. He didn't stick around but didn't leave until he had called a taxi for me. I knew I was messed up with broken bones but there was no emergency; that the local urgent care would be just fine and it was a mile away. $6 out of pocket vs $1000.)

The lack of concussion with my helmet slipping so much was so striking that when I heard about MIPS I knew that was my next helmet. I see the CPSC standard as keeping us alive. MIPS as improving the long and short term health of our brain and the connective tissue supporting and protecting it. At this point in my life, I see brain health as more important. If I have another TBI as serious as my first, I would rather not live. I am thankful I survived and went through the following "crazy years" but doing it again? Nah.)

Ben
Old 07-09-18, 01:04 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I wouldn't let the presence or lack of MIPS influence my buying decision. It comes down to 1) comfort, 2) price, 3) color/styling, then 4) MIPS.

TBH, I simply don't hit my head cycling that I am worried about any sort of brain damage build up. I'd be much more interested in such technology on my hockey helmet, where all sorts of head contact happens regularly, than on my cycling helmet which may go decades between hits.
Old 07-09-18, 01:08 PM
adele87

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Some of you have heard me say this before. I was sold on MIPS as soon as I read about it because 3 weeks earlier I had a hard crash, over the bars and landing on my leftside helmet and shoulder/ I felt my helmet hit, was fully aware of it grinding into the pavement. Then, mercifully, my brain stopped recording. The injuries kept piking up - broken collarbone, a couple of cracked ribs, acres of road rash. Apparently I flipped over and had more bruising and road rash on the other side.

Two things stood out. 1) no concussion what-so-ever. I am very familiar with concussions. I had a massive TBI 40 years ago and have NFL caliber LBS. (Loose Brain Syndrome. My words but any NFL player would get what I am talking about immediately.) And 2), apparently my helmet strap was loose. The helmet spun on my head, knocking off my glasses and the chinstrap nearly removing my ear. (My face was a mess.)

That I had no concussion at all blew me away, I have had many concussions from far more minor crashes, some even when my head never touched the pavement. (That LBS.) (Yes, there was that moment when I "blacked out" but that was just my brain saying "you don't need to witness this". I had no discontinuity of time. I knew there was a car a ways behind me before I crashed. When the crash stopped, my mind snapped back to "on", I looked back and the car was right where it should have been. I got up and walked around the adjacent park The rider behind me questioned me for evidence of concussion and I passed his quiz nicely. (He obviously had some experience/training. He didn't stick around but didn't leave until he had called a taxi for me. I knew I was messed up with broken bones but there was no emergency; that the local urgent care would be just fine and it was a mile away. $6 out of pocket vs $1000.)

The lack of concussion with my helmet slipping so much was so striking that when I heard about MIPS I knew that was my next helmet. I see the CPSC standard as keeping us alive. MIPS as improving the long and short term health of our brain and the connective tissue supporting and protecting it. At this point in my life, I see brain health as more important. If I have another TBI as serious as my first, I would rather not live. I am thankful I survived and went through the following "crazy years" but doing it again? Nah.)

Ben
I agree. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-09-18, 01:48 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
just replaced my (6yr old) helmet with a new one, and mips was a consideration, and almost a requirement from the wife. so while I've not used it, I have a helmet with it (Bontrager Velocis) As far as the helmet itself goes, I've been very pleased with it...
Old 07-09-18, 06:08 PM
db9091

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The key is to not let a salesman oversell you a helmet. You don't need a $200 helmet to be MIPS safe. A $30-60 will work.
Until we see safety data on such price differences. I haven't see that in studies yet. Price is all over the place.
So just read the studies and get the helmet that suits your taste and ability to afford.

But yes, before the studies MIPS made perfect sense to me. My mom was a vehicle crash side investigator and anything that keeps the head from impact lowers mortality stats.

THink of MIPS like this, smearing down the road vs slamming into a wall. The inner shell allows slippage across the impact to a degree.
Old 07-09-18, 06:26 PM
MoAlpha
• —

There are never going to be any good data on MIPS vs. conventional helmets. Cycling-related concussion is a comparatively rare event and, as wphamilton points out, the effect size for any benefit of MIPS is likely to be small. Therefore, huge numbers of events and even “huger” numbers of participants would be required to reach significance in a prospective trial, which no one would fund in any case. Retrospective data will never be useful because concussion is not a legally reportable event.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 07-09-18 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-09-18, 08:10 PM
db9091

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While that part may be true, there is still crash testing, which automakers use and independent crash testing is what cars are reviewed on in terms of safety.
Typically new safety features are evaluated based on real human crash data, but new vehicles use dummies. Dummies are powerful evidence.
Old 07-09-18, 10:22 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
for your bedtime reading....

https://www.beam.vt.edu/helmet/bicyc...t-ratings.html
Old 07-09-18, 10:27 PM
adele87

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by db9091
The key is to not let a salesman oversell you a helmet. You don't need a $200 helmet to be MIPS safe. A $30-60 will work.
Until we see safety data on such price differences. I haven't see that in studies yet. Price is all over the place.
So just read the studies and get the helmet that suits your taste and ability to afford.

But yes, before the studies MIPS made perfect sense to me. My mom was a vehicle crash side investigator and anything that keeps the head from impact lowers mortality stats.

THink of MIPS like this, smearing down the road vs slamming into a wall. The inner shell allows slippage across the impact to a degree.
agree
Old 07-10-18, 04:33 AM
MoAlpha
• —

While that part may be true, there is still crash testing, which automakers use and independent crash testing is what cars are reviewed on in terms of safety.
Typically new safety features are evaluated based on real human crash data, but new vehicles use dummies. Dummies are powerful evidence.
Yes, except to get at the advertised advantage of MIPS would require a mechanical model of a brain in a head that responds to rotational forces with microscopic vascular and axonal injury, which is only the theoretical basis of concussion. No simple crash test gets at the distinction between MIPS and conventional helmets. There is an animal model, a monkey decelerated violently in a sled, which is where virtually everything we know about the mechanics of concussion and diffuse axonal injury comes from. However, no one is going to build a primate MIPS, smack monkey heads on the ground, and do weeks of exacting histopathology on them.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 07-10-18 at 04:36 AM.
Old 07-10-18, 09:19 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha

Yes, except to get at the advertised advantage of MIPS would require a mechanical model of a brain in a head that responds to rotational forces with microscopic vascular and axonal injury, which is only the theoretical basis of concussion. No simple crash test gets at the distinction between MIPS and conventional helmets. There is an animal model, a monkey decelerated violently in a sled, which is where virtually everything we know about the mechanics of concussion and diffuse axonal injury comes from. However, no one is going to build a primate MIPS, smack monkey heads on the ground, and do weeks of exacting histopathology on them.

You said you wouldn't trade in your current helmet for a MIPS, which is clear enough. But, all other things being equal, IF you were shopping for a new helmet, would you choose MIPS over non-MIPS? Assuming equal price, comfort, etc.

That's a circuitous way of asking a neurologist if you know of any theoretical problems imposed by MIPS--i.e., increased danger from some kind of risk, whatever.

Thanks!
Old 07-10-18, 09:24 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by livedarklions
You said you wouldn't trade in your current helmet for a MIPS, which is clear enough. But, all other things being equal, IF you were shopping for a new helmet, would you choose MIPS over non-MIPS? Assuming equal price, comfort, etc.

That's a circuitous way of asking a neurologist if you know of any theoretical problems imposed by MIPS--i.e., increased danger from some kind of risk, whatever.

Thanks!
Yes, I would choose MIPS. I think it's a good idea and I haven't heard of a downside.
Old 07-11-18, 07:35 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I just bought a MIPS helmet. Why not, apart from cost?

I had Backcountry ship me both a MIPS and non-MIPS versions of the same helmet. The MIPS version fit my particular head better because of the way the pads are placed.

The decision was a no-brainer. <-- see what I did there?

You don't have to spend $200 to get MIPS. There are MIPS helmets for $75.

-Tim-
Old 07-11-18, 11:06 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
If the only difference is MIPS v non MIPS, sure, I'll take it. There is no downside, but I also haven;t seen much actual data showing a benefit. it is also why every other consideration will come before MIPS in picking a helmet, though.

Have you looked at the actual tests involved for certifying bike helmets? They're pretty insignificant in determining how protective a helmet is on a neurological level.
Old 07-11-18, 12:54 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by jefnvk
If the only difference is MIPS v non MIPS, sure, I'll take it. There is no downside, but I also haven;t seen much actual data showing a benefit. it is also why every other consideration will come before MIPS in picking a helmet, though.
Have you looked at the actual tests involved for certifying bike helmets? They're pretty insignificant in determining how protective a helmet is on a neurological level.
The fact that no one can identify a drawback compared to conventional helmet designs actually makes me suspicious of the state of knowledge in this field. Ususally, with safety measures, if you make something stronger against one kind of risk, you can identify some protection against another risk that you had to sacrifice.

These tests are basically unverifiable guesses as to the types and amounts of forces the head will experience in an accident. We really can't know whether they're good or bad guesses.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.