Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Balaclava first

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Balaclava first

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-18, 06:57 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by dh024
An alternative to a balaclava that I greatly prefer is a merino beanie and neck tube. You can pull the neck tube up the back of your head and across your face so that it covers either just the chin or all the way up to your nose, or you can pull it down on warmer days to just cover your neck. Or on really warm days, just wear the beanie. Much more adjustable than a balaclava, especially the loose-fitting ones that tend to be sold.
Last summer was my first with a neck tube/neck shade. I wondered about doing the same thing you mentioned.
Old 10-31-18, 11:34 AM
Bikewolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Yep, as I said: “Bye the bye, a nice tip perhaps for in between seasons (autumn): Wear a tube as a neck gaiter first, then grab the scarf by the back and pull it over the back of your head to cover your ears & neck; the tube ending halfway your skull (or slightly back). Loosen up things a little for comfort (chin). And, if you want, you can easily pull up/down the scarf to cover your chin / mouth / nose. (Maybe you even want to fold things for extra warmth or more stretch towards your skin.) Next: To protect your forehead, you could add a lightweight headband. Or ... pull something like a Castelli summer skullcap over your head! One of the extra advantages is that it will keep the tube more in place, securing your ear protection.”

Now, at temperatures more leaning towards 3 à 5°C (and increasing cold winds), my summer skullcap has been swapped for a thicker cap with ear and forehead protection. So continuing the cap-tube pairing! Although I have to admit: I did add a cover over my all season helmet to counter the winds.

NIce to hear dh024 and others use a similar technique.

Still trial & error for me, but we still have plenty of time to experiment :-)

Last edited by Bikewolf; 10-31-18 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-31-18, 11:47 AM
Bikewolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
I read about blaclavas here on bikeforums years ago. Not knowing anything I bought a thin nylon one. It worked well and still works well for me down to my limit of 10F. It seems for me blocking the wind is more important than insulation. Below 10F I'm sure insulation is more important.
Your comment made me think:
Maybe – when it starts freezing – one could wear a thin, perhaps indeed a windblocking (wicking?) type, balaclava and look upon it as a base layer?!! Hmm ...