Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Finally! (?)

Old 12-26-18, 05:00 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
The ride on that last post included a lot of circling, and was a very slow ride (6.9mph avg).

Today, I did the same cutoff solo, on the same bike, using Strava to track it.
2 miles from the lot to the intersection, and back to the lot. Not entirely flat. While there wasn't much of a felt rise on the last ride, we were toodling along. Today I pushed a little, and averaged a little over 13 mph.
Toward the end of the first lap, I decided to call it good. Yeah, I've been putting a lot of miles on the treadmill, but as most of you are well aware, I'm engaging other muscles on the bicycle.

It's easy to tell, remembering what my legs looked/felt like, back in the day when I 'lived' on my bike. Poppin' quads, calves like chiseled plates... The treadmill has certainly thinned my legs, and I can feel some muscle under there now, but need to spend some time in the saddle to get 'em used to that again. ...and of course, there are the sit-bones... yeah, gotta get those back into shape, too.

I was glad to get back on the bike some, but as I'm going over-the-road in a week, it may be a couple months or so before I can put any meaningful time on the bike. I'll have some home time at good intervals, so can still work on it through the rest of the Winter, and I should be in better form come Spring if/when I decide to find a good folder. I'll be a lot lighter, too.
Old 12-29-18, 11:49 AM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Tomorrow's gonna be the last "regular" Sunday weigh-in for me. I'm hittin' the road Wednesday, and will just start doing my weigh-ins as I can access scales.
My company will put me up in hotels every night, and I should have pretty easy access to their wi-fi connections (though hotels aren't always the most reliable... it was my last job to work with that stuff), but scales are another story. I'll just stick to the plan, which will actually be easier on the road (no familial eating pressure while I'm out), and chuckle gleefully when I do step on the home scale.

I'm creeping up on 50 lbs lost (302.4), and hope I'll get there before I leave, but I won't freak out if I don't. I'll be fine.
Old 12-30-18, 11:20 AM
velojym

Last regular Sunday weigh-in: 300.4 lbs. Over 50 from when I started measuring, but not quite 50 for my HW bet. I think, in the interest of simplicity, I'll just start counting my "verified" Healthywage starting weight, so I'm not tossing in a bunch of extra wordage for the different start numbers. Heck, I'd gotten to over 360 or so at one point, but stayed away from scales like they had fangs.

So, there's definitely been a VERY noticeable change here.

As of this coming week, I'll just start doing "official" updates when I get home for my DOT resets (logbook limits, for those who are interested). Otherwise, I'll still put the occasional milestone or other post here as I see fit. I'm also toying with the idea, as I probably mentioned before, of ramping my Youtube channel back up, and covering some of my travels, as well as keeping my goals intact while I travel a lot. Keeping and using a folding bicycle will feature, once I get one I can pack into an airline-check-able case.
Old 12-31-18, 01:00 PM
velojym

Busted 300! 299.2 this morning... first time I've been under 300 in over a decade

Old 01-01-19, 01:38 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Looking great brother!!!! Breaking 300 is just an awesome feeling!!!!
Old 01-01-19, 02:28 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 941 Posts
Freaking awesome! I'm not horse that others are in This forum. I was just barely over 200 but that was horrible for me. Nobody knew I was unhealthy other than me. My gal questioned my fitness need, and had wild ideas of what I was doing, hated my workout wear. She got me new wear, and then I shed 45 lbs and I rocked those clothes, which gave her more wild ideas about what I was doing. Then i I fixed the neighbor gals bike, lol. In her mind I was now total dirtbag.

So I don't post over here very often, being more like My Little Pony, but this thread is the best I've ready in a while thanks for sharing!
Old 01-01-19, 03:54 PM
velojym

That's a little of why my wife probably wasn't too thrilled with my sudden activity on the fitness front. She might have had a "who's the other woman?" moment for a bit.
No other woman, just doing it for me. I think she knows that now.
Old 01-02-19, 09:00 AM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
That can always be a question when people aren't secure in their relationships. And of course, even when people are secure, a sudden change or desire to do something without being discussed beforehand, can raise questions. Married for 35 years to a wonderful woman, she has never questioned my desire to lose weight, or when I decided to have surgery. And she figures my spending money on my bikes is less I spend on other things (like my firearms..). Open and honest sure beats questions and inquisitions...
Old 01-10-19, 10:20 PM
velojym

Upon returning from the road, I'm down to 292.6 this morning. Officially over halfway to my healthywage.com goal.

The job didn't work out. I can't handle cigarette smoke. I may re-visit the idea with a different type of vehicle in the future, though. I do love to drive.
I can contract with an RV moving company and set my HHR up as a toad. I can better control my surroundings that way. Also, my Montague then works out for a travel bike, as airline travel won't figure in.

Last edited by velojym; 01-12-19 at 11:35 AM.
Old 01-19-19, 09:39 PM
velojym

The previous weight was probably the result of minor dehydration. I bounced back up a couple pounds, but still down from before I left.
I was at 293.2 yesterday.

Thought I've been spending a lot of time on the treadmill, and walking the hilly roads around my house, I'm very aware that there are some cycling muscles that aren't being worked at all. These become quite evident when I do get on a bike for a couple miles. I know I'll get it back, though.

Today the weather was pretty dynamic, and we were fairly busy, but did manage to get to a local fitness center with a shallow pool. Straddling a pool noodle and holding a couple floats in front of my, I "pedaled" around the pool. Felt it in my hammies.
Kinda broke, but I do need a couple bits and bobs to get my bikes ready, other than the Montague... so it's still gotta be my 'go to' ride for most stuff until I get everything else done.

Last edited by velojym; 01-19-19 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-20-19, 08:04 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1553 Post(s)
Liked 2,005 Times in 984 Posts
Nothing like doing non-cycling exercise to make one realize that there are other muscles that don't get worked or worked as hard. Even just going jogging/running, my endurance is pretty sad compared to the distance I could do for the same effort on a bike. They are efficient machines, plus we get to coast! Can't coast when jogging, and moving the entirety of one's body weight (no matter how light or heavy) just takes more. I never like feeling tired or overworked hamstrings because they can stealthily cramp up on me (or threaten to) even if I've hydrated etc. I also get a good bit of power from them when on the bike, so no hams means no big guns for climbing, sprinting, or heavy 'dieseling' on the flats until they get better. Glad your weight held steady and went down after all!
Old 01-22-19, 02:46 PM
velojym

Amen.
291.8 today, though it isn't technically a weigh-in day. I'm driving to IL next week, and will be starting a 4.5 month I.T. project shortly after.
Fortunately, time won't be nearly as much an issue as with my last job, and I'll have my car with me the whole time, so if I find myself somewhere decent to ride, should work fine.
Old 01-23-19, 09:18 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 941 Posts
I don't know if this is your style of workout, but I on top of the cycling or instead of sometimes, I will do dumbells. I have a rack set of that I like to max out reps of 5 different weights. I'll do curls and military press Performed in increasing sets then decreasing set of weights. The least weight is about 30 reps and the heavy about 8-10 maybe. To switch things up I'll do a mini-super set that is a curl/military combo, a full superset would be the same exercise plus the leg press picking the bells up from the floor. Then, when I have time, I'll do tricep press, one arm rows, light bench press or butterflies. I used to lunges but have not done those in a while. Unfortunately I have slight ailments with my wrist and shoulder that prevents me from real bodybuilding.

J
Old 01-24-19, 05:56 PM
velojym

I do occasionally do dumbbell workouts, mostly to signal my body that I'm still wanting to keep some of that meat on board. I also use a resistance band when I'm traveling, and another thing I do at the pool is use the foamie dumbbells underwater for upper body work.
Lunges and anything higher impact for my legs are pretty much out, at least for now, and I don't plan on doing anything big with my upper body, but don't want to be TdF noodly up there.
Old 01-27-19, 02:07 AM
youcoming

Bikes: ParleeZ5/Parlee Chebacco/Trek Farley/Cannondale Slice/Burley Tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Awesome job, look forward to seeing you progress. I too am on a journey to a better me and we are around the same age, set your goals and stick to them but most of all get out and ride. Don't let your weight keep you off the bike, you can do it and your bike can too. I have an older aluminum frame that was my first road bike and it has been with me from the start at 315 to 198 and everywhere in between. You got this and don't let anyone tell you otherwise, get out and hammer, your legs will be sore and your ass will scream at you but you know you will love it!!
Old 01-27-19, 05:34 AM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by ill.clyde
an ONGOING battle ... part of the discussion ... "Well, you have two hours for a bike ride, but you can't fold the laundry?"

No dear ... I can't. There are times when I have an easier schedule, and I'll steal a little time to do the dishes or yes, fold laundry, but then she wonders why I can't do it all the time?

I finally looked at her one time I said, "Do you like me having a job, making money and providing benefits for our family, or would you like me to just do your freaking laundry?"

SMH ... like I said ... ongoing battle

EDIT to add ... I'll often spend time first thing in the morning after taking our daughter to school to get my ride in for the day, because I live in Wisconsin, and the company I work for is based in California. So that two hour time difference plays a role as well.
just do your own laundry , thsts what I do, besides the washer and dryer do it for you..
Old 01-27-19, 02:58 PM
velojym

Sunday update: 289.2 lbs

I'm going to IL this week (COLD!) for a training session before working a 4+ month I.T. gig. I'll be installing workstations and doing a little network appliance maintenance in about 130 offices across the middle of the state.
As I won't be hauling anything, I can slide my Montague into the back of my car, and on those days when I get done quickly, I might find some interesting places to ride before heading back home.

I'm able to fit into my suit coat now, though it's still just a little tight. The pants are size 44, and I'm currently a little loose in 48s, so I'll be to that milestone soon. I promised the wife that we could do a "Fancy" date night when I get back into the suit. As to its future, it just depends on how small I'll eventually need it.

Please pardon the spots. I didn't feel like editing them out, and my wife is a very vigorous tooth-brusher. I'd also like to come up with a decent look for this year's Huntsville Tweed Run.

Old 01-27-19, 06:48 PM
youcoming

Best part of loosing weight is shopping in your closet.
Old 01-27-19, 08:05 PM
velojym

It is nice to find stuff I used to like wearing, that I haven't been able to for years.
Old 02-03-19, 04:52 PM
velojym

Sunday weigh-in: 285.2

Weather in IL where I went to train (I.T. project I'll be on for a few months), it got down to 21F below zero. Brrr...

This weekend, in AL, it got to 70F... woot! Wish I'd planned better, but was too busy this weekend to ride.
Old 02-03-19, 07:44 PM
youcoming

Great job with the scales. Keep it up
Old 02-10-19, 07:51 PM
velojym

Old 02-12-19, 04:13 PM
youcoming

Awesome still going down at a great rate. I had a bad week. Ate fine but somehow gained a pound.
Old 02-12-19, 05:55 PM
velojym

Well, a pound is better than a stone.
282 now.
Old 02-13-19, 11:07 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Nice steady progress!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.