Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

SIS Isotonic Gel Best buy date

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-19, 06:40 AM
Glenn6870 

Bikes: 2022 Giant Revolt Advanced; 2017 Giant Contend SL2 Disc; 1997 Trek Singletrack

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts

Anyone use gels past their "Best buy" date? Specifically SIS Isotonics? I bought way more than i needed last year during a flash sale, and now i have about 30 that have a best buy date of 5/2019. I don't think i'll get through all of them by then. So I'm curious if others have used them past the date, and how far past. Generally i regard "Best Buy" dates as suggestions. They aren't exactly expiration dates, but I'd rather not get sick while out on a ride. I don't think that will happen, but you never know.
Old 04-09-19, 06:54 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
The ‘best before’ dates on most drugs are generally set by the marketing dept and not scientifically determined. It’s too expensive to test pharmaceuticals so you can be fairly certain no one is testing standard food products. Gels are sealed and mostly sugar so should last for years. Squirt one out on a plate and compare it with a new one if you’re concerned.
Old 06-13-19, 03:45 PM
BikeAndIke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did a quick google search on this sometime ago, my wife and I were arguing if I could eat some old cookies. This is what I found, hope it helps!

Use-By: This label is aimed at consumers as a directive of the date by which the product should be eaten; mostly because of quality, not because the item will necessarily make you sick if eaten after the use-by date. However after the use-by date, product quality is likely to go down much faster and safety could be lessened.

Sell-By: This label is aimed retailers, and it informs them of the date by which the product should be sold or removed from shelf life. This does not mean that the product is unsafe to consume after the date. Typically one-third of a product's shelf-life remains after the sell-by date for the consumer to use at home.

Best-By: This is a suggestion to the consumer on which date the product should be consumed to assure for ideal quality.
Old 06-13-19, 03:53 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
I have eaten some over a year past
Old 06-14-19, 08:41 AM
BloomBikeShop
BloomBikeShop.com

Bikes: A few.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I can't speak to the SIS gels, but I've eaten other various gels that were 4+ years past the best by date. Never had an issue. If it's just a sealed packet of sugar, it's probably fine.

Sometimes chews/blocks will get rock hard shortly after their best by date. That's where you gotta be careful.
Old 06-14-19, 08:44 AM
BloomBikeShop
BloomBikeShop.com

Bikes: A few.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Just the other day I was reading about collecting (and sometimes drinking) vintage Kool-Aid packets: https://thetakeout.com/inside-black-...ors-1835123510

They even made the point that as far as expired foods go, sealed sugar & flavoring packets are probably your safer bets!