Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are we living in a Bike Boom Era?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Are we living in a Bike Boom Era?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-19, 07:42 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985

Seriously though, people in their teens and 20's these days seem absolutely repelled by bicycles.
Could be an Adventure Cycling photo from one of the original Bikecentenial rides in 1976. Do you know what they were?

HAH! I was correct!:

Ahoy Land Ahoy: The 1976 Bikecentennial TransAmerica Trail

Plenty of 20-somethings on bikes in Philly. Rode part of the way to work with two of them this morning.
Old 05-07-19, 07:44 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Philly too. Locals and tourists alike use bike share.
Right. It's really hard to define what would constitute a "bike boom". Is it high sales of new bikes, or is it a large increase in the use of bikes? With a surplus of used bikes and bike shares, there could be a boom in the latter without there being a boom in sales, and use is a lot harder to measure than sales.
Old 05-07-19, 07:47 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Could be an Adventure Cycling photo from one of the original Bikecentenial rides in 1976. Do you know what they were?

HAH! I was correct!:

Plenty of 20-somethings on bikes in Philly. Rode part of the way to work with two of them this morning.
Riding around Boston area on weekends, I see lots of people of all ages riding.
Old 05-07-19, 07:48 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 2,279 Times in 1,276 Posts

HAH! I was correct!:

Interesting! I was at a coffee bar in Ventura . I had my 1977 Raleigh leaned against the front of the store and an older gentleman (like me) came up to me and asked if I had been a part of that ride in 1976. He told me he rode from DC to the west coast on his Motobecane Grand Record , and yes , he still has it! Joe
Old 05-07-19, 08:22 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
Interesting! I was at a coffee bar in Ventura . I had my 1977 Raleigh leaned against the front of the store and an older gentleman (like me) came up to me and asked if I had been a part of that ride in 1976. He told me he rode from DC to the west coast on his Motobecane Grand Record , and yes , he still has it! Joe
A guy in my local club was on one of the original rides in 1976. He was a friend of my mom's during the college years, so he has to be pushing 80 now, if he's not already there.

In any event, a LBS had a day devoted to touring. The guy showed up with slides from the trip. It was crazy to see the bikes and setups. As the above-photo reflects, no one used front panniers, and a lot of people didn't wear helmets.
Old 05-07-19, 10:12 AM
sputniky
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Seriously though, people in their teens and 20's these days seem absolutely repelled by bicycles. it's the strangest thing. But they love scooters and skateboards.

To me, this post is the strangest thing. It's the strangest thing because it doesn't jive with my experience, nor observations while riding in my area. Maybe it's because my area, Northern California, is much different than where you live.

I can't square your latest claim with reality, just like your claim that "the serious riders are all in their 60's and 70's."
Old 05-07-19, 10:33 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,043 Posts
A guy in my local club was on one of the original rides in 1976. He was a friend of my mom's during the college years, so he has to be pushing 80 now, if he's not already there.

In any event, a LBS had a day devoted to touring. The guy showed up with slides from the trip. It was crazy to see the bikes and setups. As the above-photo reflects, no one used front panniers, and a lot of people didn't wear helmets.
I'm surprised any bicyclists anywhere, wore helmets in 1976 other than in some organized competitive races, and those would have been the leather fishnet variety.
Old 05-07-19, 10:44 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
With the advent of E-bikes and the rise of trikes that can be E-trikes, I have noticed at least a mini boom.

E-trikes opens up a whole world of riding to older people. They cant fall over, and they get the motor assist so they know they can make it home again.
Old 05-07-19, 11:18 AM
pressed001
glorified 5954

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by honcho
In the United States, the bike boom of the the early 1970s coincided with most of the large cohort of baby boomers being teens and young adults, along with factors such as the OPEC oil embargo, rising environmental and health awareness. I believe, youth cycling then, as compared to now, had many more young people on bikes. Where I live there are plenty of kids but it's rare to see any on a bike around neighborhoods. However, there is a cycling boom of sorts going on in many urban areas of the USA with conventional bicycles, e-bikes, and e-scooters being promoted and adopted, particularly by young adults living in urbanized areas. However, I don't think it's nearly as widespread across the population as the boom of the 1970s.

As part of the growth of cycling, the attempts to place large numbers of rental dockless e-bikes and e-scooters are being fueled by speculative investors hoping to capture the attention, use and dollars of the population. So far, the results have been mixed both in adoption by riders and the success of the companies involved.

You won't get any argument from me regarding the value of bicycling as both transportation and recreation. We need a huge boom in cycling infrastructure to make cycling in general take off but the competition for infrastructure resources is fierce everywhere so I'm not too hopeful to see the boom anytime soon.
Spot on.

Cycling will boom where it is a convenience. At the moment the automobile is far too cheap and convenient to allow for a bike-boom which will only happen if certain economic conditions arise.

Honestly I don't fret an economic downturn where I might get laid off. I could then finally make a living doing what I love.

Side-note: I wish Switzerland would start banning POV's in city centers. These European cities were not built around cars, like US cities. And it amazes me. These people gladly pay for the luxury of driving to work/home alone even though it takes roughly the same amount of time as the train or bus. They might live 15 miles from work and have mass-transit options, but they dish out the heavily taxed cash for their cars of which are mostly diesel. Small European streets packed with diesel cars stuck daily in traffic jams. As a pedestrian it really sucks.
Old 05-07-19, 11:59 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I'm surprised any bicyclists anywhere, wore helmets in 1976 other than in some organized competitive races, and those would have been the leather fishnet variety.
I remember a friend of mine started wearing a helmet in the mid-1980s, and she felt self-conscious about it so much that she would explain she started doing it after she fractured her skull. It was that unusual to wear one even at that late date.
Old 05-08-19, 10:00 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by MEversbergII
I thought there was one c. 2010 or so - I definitely saw an uptick in "cycle commuting" web presence, anyways. It seemed to taper off in or around 2015 or 2016, so I figured it was just a downward trend from then to now. Economic times are better, so it's less likely you'll need to do it for financial reasons, the "hipness" of it seems to have waned, and I suppose it ultimately ended up not being as practical as people would have thought.
I had a similar impression, though maybe starting a couple of years earlier.

The people I knew who did it for the hipness factor are now pushing 40, if not older, and have rugrats and professional jobs, so there's that.
Old 05-09-19, 09:46 PM
wedgeSG

Bikes: '13 Trek Madone 5.2 '14 Giant Thrive - (wife's)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
I don’t think we are living in a bike boom but I firmly believe that we are being conditioned to start one. Big Brother knows cars are taking up too much space, and causing too many problems they can’t continue to make new excuses for. So sit in front of your TV for a little while, and count the bikes visible in most programs and practically every commercial.
They long since outlawed the single frame, subliminal, concessions ad in movie theaters, but regardless of whether it’s new cars, or foodstuffs, or insurance, or personal hygiene, or the latest whiz bang smart(?)fone...chances are good there will be a bike in the background somewhere. Sounds sorta like ranting of a UFO abductee, until you just watch for it one time.
Old 05-09-19, 10:43 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by wedgeSG
I don’t think we are living in a bike boom but I firmly believe that we are being conditioned to start one. Big Brother knows cars are taking up too much space, and causing too many problems they can’t continue to make new excuses for. So sit in front of your TV for a little while, and count the bikes visible in most programs and practically every commercial.
They long since outlawed the single frame, subliminal, concessions ad in movie theaters, but regardless of whether it’s new cars, or foodstuffs, or insurance, or personal hygiene, or the latest whiz bang smart(?)fone...chances are good there will be a bike in the background somewhere. Sounds sorta like ranting of a UFO abductee, until you just watch for it one time.
Sorry, but that's ridiculous. You really think smart phone advertisers have any interest in promoting cycling? The bike is in the commercial because they're trying to appeal to the people who ride or at least own bikes. And I guarantee you that car manufacturers certainly aren't telling you to ditch your car for a bike. They want to sell you a car to haul your bike on.

Tinfoil hat time.
Old 05-11-19, 01:46 PM
Obeast
100% Certified Beast

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Rotors 13 speed group, FSA K force group, Microshift...if are not in a bike boom, why are there so many new companies making new components? Old customers likely just use the same brands.
Old 05-11-19, 03:21 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Obeast
Rotors 13 speed group, FSA K force group, Microshift...if are not in a bike boom, why are there so many new companies making new components? Old customers likely just use the same brands.
I don't think it's a volume boom, like the 1970's. We just don't have the consumer base they did, when all those boomers hit their early-mid 20's and got 'real' jobs and purchasing power.

What we are seeing is a boom in the specialization of bicycles. You can pretty much find a ready-to-ride bike from one of the major manufacturers in pretty much any combination of wheel size, bar configuration, gear selection, brake type and tyre width you can think of. And then some.

The boutique builders have always been there but direct-to customer online sales have made it easier to reach more customers, and move those unique bikes to the people who are looking for them.

I think what we might find, were we able to look into enough garages, is that we would also find that more 'enthusiasts' have multiple bikes than before.
Old 05-12-19, 03:33 AM
Obeast
100% Certified Beast

If you look at the "new" Sora and Tiagra components, they do look quite nice for entry levels. Certainly much nicer than the Sora and Tiagra of the past few years. I think the internet really changed the game for manufacturers as consumers are much more educated and as a result more picky on what they spend money on. I ride a lot of vintage and they fit my needs even better than newer parts because I can park my bike outside all night and no one wants to steal my bike.

Originally Posted by Ironfish653
I don't think it's a volume boom, like the 1970's. We just don't have the consumer base they did, when all those boomers hit their early-mid 20's and got 'real' jobs and purchasing power.

What we are seeing is a boom in the specialization of bicycles. You can pretty much find a ready-to-ride bike from one of the major manufacturers in pretty much any combination of wheel size, bar configuration, gear selection, brake type and tyre width you can think of. And then some.

The boutique builders have always been there but direct-to customer online sales have made it easier to reach more customers, and move those unique bikes to the people who are looking for them.

I think what we might find, were we able to look into enough garages, is that we would also find that more 'enthusiasts' have multiple bikes than before.
Old 05-12-19, 03:41 AM
Obeast
100% Certified Beast

I have heard this song more times than I can count but I didn´t know that it came out in 1978, apparently during the bike boom era. As someone who loves cycling, maybe I should move closer to retirement communities since they always have nicer drivers and cycling friendly paths.

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I am turning 65 this year(HELLO Medicare!) . I tell my 22 year old daughter who is into roller derby, that at my high school you had to get there early to get a spot on the bike rack. Bicycles were our life here in Southern California. She has a couple of real nice bikes and doesn't ride. I don't see a real "boom" happening , but there are quite a few cyclists I see out and about , just not the younger crowd like it was in the 70's . I think us teenagers were at least part or a majority of the real boom in the 70's. Hell, even the rock stars were into ten speeds! I remember seeing one of the Fogerty's on a Varsity on one of the Creedance Clearwater albums. Joe joesvintageroadbikes.wordpress
Old 05-12-19, 03:50 AM
Obeast
100% Certified Beast

So car sales have basically peaked out in most developed countries. Younger people don´t buy cars anymore and rather share or rent. Vintage bicycles have really gone up in value lately because more people want them but new bikes (except for ebikes) are taking a hit.

Old 05-12-19, 08:16 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by sputniky
What makes someone a "serious rider" in your opinion?
matching kit.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 05-12-19, 12:04 PM
honcho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Obeast
Just because a market isn't growing fast, doesn't mean that there won't be fierce competition for the money that is in the marketplace. Lots of old component makers are gone or eaten up by their competitors: Old Sun Tour, Sachs, Huret, etc...... Just because a manufacturer is gone doesn't mean that new folks aren't going to try out the marketplace with their ideas. Not to mention that the abilities of computer assisted design and machining, along with the massive capacity of manufacturers, particularly in Taiwan and China, makes getting new product to market faster than ever.

Bike boom or not, isn't capitalism / mercantilism great?
Old 05-12-19, 12:50 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by sputniky
What makes someone a "serious rider" in your opinion?
Someone who has an actual bicycle, not a BSO, and who rides for either sport/competition, fitness or transport or all of those, more than a few (once) times a year.

I was one of those Boomers in the 70s Bike Boom, at 65yo, I do in fact recall how it was then and I do not see that now, young people on bicycles, running, jogging etc.

As to closing shops, the old business models do not work anymore where the bicycle sales are supported by accessories, doo-dads, clothing and everything at full retail. I purchase nearly all of my other than bicycle purchases on Amazon, eBay get some too so I do C&V.

I do think we are seeing a resurgence of cycling driven by a desire amongst some younger people to enjoy a more cohesive, urban lifestyle where a bicycle is perfect. It does not have the depth and breath of the 70s boom though and it would help if younger people in masse had an interest in things other that "e'" "i"and "www" and so on.

I am a motorcyclist (the kind that burn hydrocarbons and go vroooom) as well and we see many parallels in that young people do not ride motorcycles and largely cannot afford them and sales down and shops closing everywhere.

Last edited by Loose Chain; 05-12-19 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-14-19, 03:35 AM
Dr.Lou

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
The Tahoe/Reno area has Lime Bike. Not sure how it works, looks more like an honor system. I see them laying all over the landscape. Would like to see Lime Bike’s business plan. It seems to work well in China and other parts of Asia. Usually part of the national transportation system - accessed with bus/train card.
Old 05-14-19, 04:50 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I am a motorcyclist (the kind that burn hydrocarbons and go vroooom) as well and we see many parallels in that young people do not ride motorcycles and largely cannot afford them and sales down and shops closing everywhere.
I did not know this. Very odd, the young people of today, I suspect most were very over-protected, indulged, and practically worshipped growing up, maybe this is the end result of that type of upbringing.
Old 05-14-19, 08:14 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,830 Times in 2,228 Posts
$10/gal gas might be a boon for more e-bikes. Go traitor Drumpft, bomb Iran.

My kids (late 20s) never, ever bike. Even when I ask them (repeatedly) to join me. And both grew up biking regularly.
Old 05-14-19, 08:19 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Has the link between kids and bikes been broken forever? Will kids spontaneously start riding them again 50 years from now? Won't matter because I'll be dead by then, but I wonder if our generation will be the last in human history to love and appreciate bicycles?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.