Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Chris Horner - TDF insight.

Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Old 07-06-19, 09:17 AM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts

I’m really enjoying Chris Horner’s commentary. He’s providing some good insight, and not pulling any punches as far as any criticism of riders. Kind of refreshing.
Old 07-06-19, 09:44 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 591 Times in 452 Posts
Speaking of not pulling any punches, Outside magazine is giving Lance a platform. Since he's PNGd he has no restraint, but supposedly is very fair (if at times blunt) to the riders. We'll see.

I caught a few minutes of S^2C^2 (Steve Schlanger, Chris, and Chris) and am optimistic they'll be a good thing.

I still can't fully warm to Steve Porino though I'd gladly take his job and do much worse at it.
Old 07-06-19, 06:30 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Horner is great. They should have picked him up years ago. He just loves the sport.
Old 07-07-19, 06:41 AM
JT Burkard

Bikes: BMW Cruise Bike, Specialized Hardrock, Fuji Sagres, Vintage Schwinn Hollywood

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has anyone noticed that Vande Velde and Horner seem to be clashing? Yesterday he was rolling his eyes at Horner when Chris said that Froome had a concussion but Christian said there is no report of a concussion. Horner then disagreed and said there’s most certainly a concussion. Then there was another backvand forth that seemed to be a bit tensioned.

They seemed to play together better later in the broadcast but you can see he is annoyed with him. Today, you can still see that Vande Velde still has that irked look.
Old 07-07-19, 08:45 AM
BKE

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by JT Burkard
Has anyone noticed that Vande Velde and Horner seem to be clashing? Yesterday he was rolling his eyes at Horner when Chris said that Froome had a concussion but Christian said there is no report of a concussion. Horner then disagreed and said there’s most certainly a concussion. Then there was another backvand forth that seemed to be a bit tensioned.

They seemed to play together better later in the broadcast but you can see he is annoyed with him. Today, you can still see that Vande Velde still has that irked look.
Not sure it was about Froome, but I caught that and thought the same thing. There are 20/19 more stages so we'll get a better feeling by the end.
Old 07-07-19, 08:57 AM
Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
Wiggins is on (British) Eurosport and he's a natural TV performer, can see him taking over from Kelly at some future time.
Old 07-07-19, 06:13 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

They were talking about Thomas but, yeah.

VdV was talking diagnosis, Horner was talking "hit your head = concussion or at least lost a step". They'll sort it out. Horner will realize words have meaning, and maybe get as good at making them up as Bobke.
Old 07-07-19, 06:25 PM
Doge

Absolutely. I can't tell if it is about things on the bike or behind the counter.
IMO - on the bike - Chris wins.
Christian is a Phil replacement, Chris is not, but they were different levels as cyclists.
Old 07-08-19, 06:40 AM
JT Burkard

Bikes: BMW Cruise Bike, Specialized Hardrock, Fuji Sagres, Vintage Schwinn Hollywood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slcbob
They were talking about Thomas but, yeah.

VdV was talking diagnosis, Horner was talking "hit your head = concussion or at least lost a step". They'll sort it out. Horner will realize words have meaning, and maybe get as good at making them up as Bobke.
Thomas, that’s who it was yes you are right. I was in the other room and my wife said hear watch this and backed up the DVR.

I still see some tension between the two but it looks like they are playing nicer together.
Old 07-09-19, 10:20 PM
markjenn

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
I also sense that Christian and Chris aren't a great match (yet). While Christian has really come into his own over the past couple years, I sense he's got some ego around being THE guy and doesn't want to surrender the mic to Chris any more than necessary. If Christian would bring it down a notch, both in quantity and intensity, Chris would have more of a chance to give his own opinions and not just repeat what the other guy said. They probably just need time to find the right timing and chemistry.

In previous years, Roll and Christian were a nice match - they came to it from different perspectives and Roll has a very strong personality with a nice sense of humor. Chris might be a little too soft-spoken.

But overall, the coverage is still very good and Roll is doing a good job with Phil.

- Mark
Likes For markjenn:
Old 07-10-19, 06:02 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

If they need someone to tone it down a bit, I think Zabriskie is still available.

Though they may be making a run at Eurosport's "The Breakaway" recap. Dave and Floyd teaming up in "The Bake-away" recaps and edibles from Durango. Be sure to tune in. Unless you want to keep your security clearance.
Old 07-10-19, 05:34 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by markjenn
I also sense that Christian and Chris aren't a great match (yet). While Christian has really come into his own over the past couple years, I sense he's got some ego around being THE guy and doesn't want to surrender the mic to Chris any more than necessary. If Christian would bring it down a notch, both in quantity and intensity, Chris would have more of a chance to give his own opinions and not just repeat what the other guy said. They probably just need time to find the right timing and chemistry.

In previous years, Roll and Christian were a nice match - they came to it from different perspectives and Roll has a very strong personality with a nice sense of humor. Chris might be a little too soft-spoken.

But overall, the coverage is still very good and Roll is doing a good job with Phil.

- Mark
I agree. Christian is more an announcer type, Chris isn't.
But seeing Christian correct Chris makes Christian look smaller.
How many GTs you won dude? They are different levels in both announcing and analysis. Christian is a smart guy, he might figure that out. If he doesn't while Bob and Phil have those other spots, it is Christian who doesn't bring as much.
Old 07-10-19, 08:20 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Horner has good comments. Christian is good too
Old 07-11-19, 09:01 PM
JT Burkard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has anyone else noticed Horner is mispronouncing just about every riders name... right after everyone else says it correctly? I don't know if he's doing it on purpose or what? He butchered Sagan with SAY'GON, and then pronounced Nairo as NAR'E'ANO. I also think he messed up Jens name...

Clearly there are issues between VV and Horner. Paul Burmeister said today "You guys actually agree on something?"

The more I watch this coverage, the less I'm liking Horner in this roll as announcer. He seems to want to contradict everything and no matter what someone says, he needs to go the other way. I really think Lance would have been a better choice but he's doing his thing with George. And then there the whole banned from Cycling thing.

Opinions on Christian and Chris tension?
Old 07-11-19, 10:26 PM
markjenn

Opinions on Christian and Chris tension?
I see what you're saying. Whatever tension there is, it ebbs and flows and I haven't seen anything truly mean-spirited yet. A smile and some humor go a long way..... this is where I think Roll did better - he never seemed to be pressing to get his thoughts across like these guys.

I think the biggest problem with the Chris/Christian duo is that they're both coming from the same overall "recent TDF veteran" perspective so it's hard for both to establish their own space and independent POV without either being repetitive or argumentative. Instead of another racer in the commentary box, how about a former team manager, for example, somebody in the mold of Vaughters? (Who did a pretty good job in the booth with Phil and Bob during today's stage.) Or how about someone with an engineering or technical background to discuss bike technology, nutrition, etc. Christian used to do some of this, but now it's mostly endless discussion of who's going to win/lose or whether the break will succeed.

As always, I temper any criticism with admiration overall on how well they manage to somehow fill the hours and make it (mostly) watchable. That being said, as an aside, is there a single person out there who actually watches these things live, enduring all the commercials? Watching the Mercedes ad with the couple getting their dog from the pound for the 753rd time would take me to the brink.

- Mark
Old 07-12-19, 03:11 PM
JT Burkard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mark, well put. It seems like there is still some competition off the bikes in the studio. I actually thought about it and having Jens in the studio and Horner out running around maybe would have been better. Who knows. When it all comes down to it, its hard to fill the shoes of Paul Sherwin. I haven't seen any memorandum or mention of his passing yet? Did I miss it or maybe they will wait until rest day? Or will they just avoid the subject all together?
Old 07-12-19, 04:36 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
They appear to be getting along better the last few days.

I'm actually liking the new bald guy (Horner). If only he could borrow some of Christian's hair.
Old 07-12-19, 09:05 PM
markjenn

When it all comes down to it, its hard to fill the shoes of Paul Sherwin. I haven't seen any memorandum or mention of his passing yet? Did I miss it or maybe they will wait until rest day? Or will they just avoid the subject all together?
There was a retrospective aired during a recent broadcast, but I don't recall whether it was in the TOC or the TDF - perhaps both. While not ignoring the loss, they do seem to be avoiding having it come up in passing - I've never seen Phil, for example, discuss an amusing anecdote about an experience with Paul during the broadcast and since they hung out together for endless hours, I'm sure there are hundreds. It may be very painful for Phil.

There was a VERY awkward moment a few days ago when they introduced Lance before a video interview who, obviously nervous, blurted out greetings to Phil and Paul, then realized his error and apologized. Having Lance in the broadcast is weird enough, this made it worse.

- Mark
Old 07-13-19, 06:30 AM
Pemetic2006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
They did a memorial to Paul on the first stage just a few mins after the neutralized start.
My guess, which isn't likely worth much, is they don't talk about Paul much during the coverage because it's just a sad topic and still fresh.
Paul was the best. Bob's doing great job with Phil. Phil will, presumably, retire at some point and I will miss him.
Old 07-13-19, 07:05 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by Pemetic2006
They did a memorial to Paul on the first stage just a few mins after the neutralized start.
My guess, which isn't likely worth much, is they don't talk about Paul much during the coverage because it's just a sad topic and still fresh.
Paul was the best. Bob's doing great job with Phil. Phil will, presumably, retire at some point and I will miss him.

This
Old 07-13-19, 09:11 PM
sofaman

Bikes: Gazelle Champion Mondial 64cm; Basso Ascot 62cm; 2018 Giant TCR KOM

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Horner? What is it with all the biggest dopers getting gigs on NBC?

When Horner's on the screen, I see Gollum. Not a fan. And, yes, he can speak to pro cycling with a certain level of knowledge obviously, but so can lots of other people. I hope NBC comes to their senses.
Old 07-16-19, 03:05 PM
wolfpack95

Bikes: Felt ZA

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by markjenn
There was a retrospective aired during a recent broadcast, but I don't recall whether it was in the TOC or the TDF - perhaps both. While not ignoring the loss, they do seem to be avoiding having it come up in passing - I've never seen Phil, for example, discuss an amusing anecdote about an experience with Paul during the broadcast and since they hung out together for endless hours, I'm sure there are hundreds. It may be very painful for Phil.

There was a VERY awkward moment a few days ago when they introduced Lance before a video interview who, obviously nervous, blurted out greetings to Phil and Paul, then realized his error and apologized. Having Lance in the broadcast is weird enough, this made it worse.

- Mark
Saw the moment too when Lance said Paul by accident and thought they all handled it as well as they could. Definitely seems to still be weighing on them (understandably).
Old 07-16-19, 06:53 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 470 Posts
I saw the Lance flub as well, I cringed hard. Phil seemed unfazed but Bob was visibly a little uncomfortable.

There seemed to be more talk of Paul in the spring classics, I seem to remember Phil specifically saying Paul loved Paris-Roubaix. There was a lot of Paul's name written on the roads in I believe Leige-Baston-Leige? Or was it Fleche-Wallon?

I haven't watched the NBCSN stuff much compared to the ad free feed. I'll have to go back and catch the Trio at the end of the broadcast.
Old 07-17-19, 12:48 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Surprised to see Phil/Bob talking w/ Lance this year, would not expect to see Pete Rose talking to Bob Costas during a baseball game of the week...
Old 07-17-19, 02:58 PM
Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
Surprised to see Phil/Bob talking w/ Lance this year, would not expect to see Pete Rose talking to Bob Costas during a baseball game of the week...
Why are you surprised?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil...ance_Armstrong

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.