Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Flickr account might be off limits to me now.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-19, 01:40 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts

I just tried signing in and was required to apparently authorize flicker to authorize their un-named partners access to my log-in information in order for me to access my account.

Problem is, my flickr password is the same as my email password, and I wouldn't want un-told new corporations/investors access to that.

In fact, it makes me wonder how much that access to my email sign-in password might be worth to a maximized paying group of corporations.
And makes me wonder how much money was perhaps made on that promise when the company was last sold, the promise to that group of investors that some percentage of the millions of yahoo/flickr users would most likely surrender their email password to them.

So now to figure out what the implications might be of surrendering my yahoo email password to an unnamed group of investors.

Here's the text of what I received today:

Oath Holdings Inc. (“Yahoo”) offers the OpenID and OAuth services (the “OpenID and OAuth Services”) to you subject to the terms and conditions of these Yahoo OpenID and OAuth Additional Terms of Service (these “Additional Terms”) and the Yahoo Terms of Service (the “Yahoo Universal Terms of Service”), located at https://policies.yahoo.com/us/en/yah...utos/index.htm and incorporated by reference into these Additional Terms. For clarity, the OpenID and OAuth Services are part of the "Yahoo Services" as defined in the Yahoo Universal Terms of Service. Your use of the OpenID and OAuth Services constitutes acceptance of, and is subject to, these Additional Terms and the Yahoo Universal Terms of Service.

Your use of OpenID for automatic login to third party sites, products, services, platforms, or applications or OAuth to permit third parties to access information from your Yahoo account is at your sole risk. While Yahoo takes measures to protect the privacy and integrity of your user data and has implemented security controls governing external companies, Yahoo cannot guarantee the integrity of the third parties to whom you have granted access to your account or permission to handle your user data using OpenID or OAuth. Yahoo also cannot guarantee that your data will be protected at all times or that such third party will not mishandle or misuse your data once these third party companies have been granted access to the Yahoo systems and network on your behalf. To better understand how this third party treats your personal information, please read their privacy policy.

Yahoo assumes no responsibility and shall not be liable for any damages whatsoever in connection with your use of OpenID and/or OAuth on any third party sites, products, services, platforms, or applications. Yahoo makes no representations or warranties as to any possible acts or omissions of such third parties that accept or support OpenID or OAuth.

Please note that any termination or cancellation of your Yahoo ID will also disable your OpenID and your ability to access any third party relying site with your Yahoo OpenID as well as any further third party access to your information using OAuth.

By using your Yahoo ID as an OpenID or by permitting third party access to your information using OAuth, you hereby forever release and hold harmless Yahoo and its related entities, officers, directors, employees, agents, successors and assigns from and against any damages, harm, claims, expenses or other liability in connection with your use of OpenID or OAuth with third party sites, products, services, platforms, or applications, even if advised of the possibility of such liability.

To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, you hereby release and waive all claims (known and unknown) against Yahoo, and its subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, agents, licensors, co-branders or other partners, and employees from any and all liability for claims, damages (actual and/or consequential), costs and expenses (including litigation costs and attorneys' fees) of every kind and nature, arising from or in any way related to your use of the OpenID and OAuth Services. You understand that any fact relating to any matter covered by this release may be found to be other than now believed to be true and you accept and assume the risk of such possible differences in fact. In addition, you expressly waive and relinquish any and all rights and benefits which you may have under any other state or federal statute or common law principle of similar effect, to the fullest extent permitted by law.

Yahoo has no affiliation with the third party sites, products, services, platforms, or applications that accept or support OpenID or OAuth. Your use of such third party sites, products, services, platforms or applications are subject to such third party’s terms of service, privacy policy, and other terms and restrictions.

These Additional Terms may be updated by Yahoo from time to time without individual notice to you. Your acknowledgement and consent to these Additional Terms will mean that you have accepted the preceding disclaimer and any subsequent modifications.
Old 07-13-19, 01:51 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,800 Times in 2,284 Posts
If ya ain't paying, you're giving up something else for "free" service.

You could, of course, use a separate email account with made up name, birthday, etc. and use that to link all your accounts.
Old 07-13-19, 02:00 PM
t_e_r_r_y

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
i went to imgur for all my photo hosting needs ever since the whole photobucket fiasco. none of that pay-to-play junk.
Old 07-13-19, 02:15 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
If ya ain't paying, you're giving up something else for "free" service.

You could, of course, use a separate email account with made up name, birthday, etc. and use that to link all your accounts.
Good point, something that perhaps few of us thought of when we signed up for one email address or the other.

I guess then that one's email domain address itself becomes a permanent security lapse?

I mean I could access my email address from a different email program, but ATT/YAHOO/Flickr seem one and the same and are handling my email volume daily.

And, although I haven't received the same notice yet while logging into my email, perhaps that is just around the corner(?).

So just what is a secure email platform these days? I admit that I hadn't thought much about it until recently.
Old 07-13-19, 03:11 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,802 Times in 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
I just tried signing in and was required to apparently authorize flicker to authorize their un-named partners access to my log-in information in order for me to access my account.
That is not what the disclaimer said.

You can use your yahoo account, (or google account, or facebook account, twitter account, etc) to authenticate yourself to a different website instead of creating a username and password specific to that site. All your disclaimer said is if you use your yahoo info to sign into that third party site, it is your problem, not yahoo's.
Likes For iab: