Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Clydesdales unite!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Clydesdales unite!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-05, 08:42 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by RDhrdNDPUTupWET
I see your from richmond, and am going to go out on a limb, and ask if the st. pattys day pick was on greenville ave. in Dallas?? Just looks really familliar. Any how sorry to everyone else for the temp threadjack.
btw.....6'7" 235lbs
Bingo! We've been partying at the corner of Lover's and Greenville for the parade for like four or five years now in the CVS/Windixie/whatever pharmacy it is now parking lot. If you've been by there, our group has been the one with the keg(s) right on the corner. Always lots of fun; I flew back just for the weekend this past year. Cheers!
Old 07-14-05, 09:00 AM
KingTermite 
On my TARDIScycle!

Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by allgoo19
We shouid create a definition of "Clydesdale". 250 is definitely not a heavy hitter. Over 350, maybe? Weight should not be considered relative to the height, we are talking about whole mass and how much it can hurt the whimpy road bikes.

It should be beyond the capacity of the bike was designed for.

Edit: King Termite maybe doesn't look as big as he is in the photo. We should give another look when he is standing up like all others.
If you make 350 the starting weight for the "Clydesdale" competition...then I barely qualify. Just weighed at doctor appt. this morning at 349. Although...I was probably around 360 or 365 when that photo was taken.

I've been meaning to get a photo of me on the bike lately anyway.....I'll try to get one of me standing on the bike like mentioned and get it up some time soon.
Old 07-14-05, 09:23 AM
foehn

Location: The Alta Loma area of Rancho Cucamonga. About 45 miles east of Los Angeles, California. Uphill, downhill and across hill riding; not too level!
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Thylacine
6ft 4ins, 205lbs here. Sorry for the MTB content, but at least with this pic you get a view.
and a nice view, personal and landscape!
Old 07-14-05, 09:29 AM
oopfoo
Evil Genius

Bikes: Pedal Force ZX3, Gary V Titanio, 1985 Cinelli Supercorsa, 1981 Pogliaghi, 1995 Casati Ellisse, Cinelli Softmachine hardtail, Surly Pugsley

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I started this endeavour---to get back on the bike after 14 years of bad-knee, desk-pushing fatness--I was 249. That was 8 weeks ago. Today, I'm 238. Not much farther to get back to my racing weight of 165, no?
Old 07-23-05, 08:11 PM
tourist
Closet Bike-a-holic

Bikes: '02 Cannondale R700 Road Warrior

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I can't believe it. Bicycling has devoted the entire center of Sept 2005 issue to riders over 180 lbs. It's like 10 pages.

www.friscocycling.com

www.hopefellowship.net
Old 07-23-05, 08:19 PM
feltdude
dog = interval

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm 6'1" and I _used_ to be 190, does that count? Of course I race at 165.. gotta keep up with these damn skinny types.
Old 07-23-05, 08:48 PM
Seamless
Peddler

Bikes: Cannondale Road Warrior 800 & H400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by superdex
one with, one without....
Fetching string of pearls, but aren't you wearing them backwards?
Old 07-23-05, 09:01 PM
vidar.bowbreake

Bikes: Schwinn Moab

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No Picture with my bike yet and I'm new to the forum.
But I think I might just qualify for the big boy league
6'8" 332 lbs (I'm working on getting that lower)
Old 07-23-05, 09:49 PM
Doid23

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, 1989 Nishiki International, Specialized Stumpjumer M2 Hardtail, ProFlex 856 Full Suspension

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by feltdude
I'm 6'1" and I _used_ to be 190, does that count? Of course I race at 165.. gotta keep up with these damn skinny types.
Sorry, doesn't count. I've always thought that you've gotta be at least 2 bills to be considered a Clydesdale. Although, if you'd like to ride with a backpack full of 60 pound rocks (my normal moan to friends I ride with as they disappear up a hill), I'd be willing to reconsider.

Hell, I think the last time I weighed 165 was probably in the 6th grade, and I passed 190 like 2 months later.
Old 07-23-05, 09:57 PM
ZappCatt
Back to being a Clyde....

Bikes: Giant OCR1(specialized carbon seatpost,Terry Fly sadle, Syntace C2): Leader TT frame, Easton EC70fork, Aerolite bars, nashbar bullhorn, Titan Wheels: Fuji Track Pro(2003)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Typically Clyde race catagories start at 200. Some are higher at 210 or 225.
I have been a member of the club for the last 5 years or so(high of 241 last TdF when I bought my first Road Bike) but am close to dropping out of the club. 202 as I headed out to my ride today.
Old 07-23-05, 10:33 PM
vidar.bowbreake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey again,
While us Clydesdales are gathering in this pasture. I would like to bring up equipment. I am currently riding a mountain bike, but since I don't ride as many trails as I used to I am looking for a road bike. Any suggestions for a frame, rims, and any other equipment. I know it's a generic question...but it doesn't hurt to ask what has worked for others that know the issues of being "outside the spectrum" of the normal biker. Thanks for any help.
Old 07-23-05, 11:20 PM
DeanC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vidar.bowbreake
Any suggestions for a frame, rims, and any other equipment. I know it's a generic question...but it doesn't hurt to ask what has worked for others that know the issues of being "outside the spectrum" of the normal biker. Thanks for any help.
I'm riding a basically stock, 2005 Cannondale R1000. I'm 6', 238 and it's only had a couple of minor problems that the LBS has taken care of. The stock seat post kept sinking into the frame so they replaced it for me and the replacement has been fine (guess the original missed spec by a few mils?). I also had a bad rear wheel. It was fine for a couple hundred miles then started going out of true in the same spot, over and over again. It would true up fine on the stand but would be rubbing the brakes after 10mi of riding. They warranty replaced that also and things have been problem free since.

Some folks say the 'dale frames are too stiff, but I find it to be just fine for my "luxurious" proportions.
Old 07-24-05, 01:06 AM
SquatchCO
Freak of Nature

Bikes: '05 Fuji Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok, so i think i have you all beat in the height category. I'm 6'9"; my bike is freakin' enormous. the 64 cm frame and 400 mm seatpost make it look like I have 650c wheels on it.

but i only weight 230 right now. and i was told to lose 20 lbs by my rowing teammates. honestly i don't know how some of you guys manage 300+ lbs...i lose my ability to run more than a mile when i hit 245...bad joints.
Old 07-24-05, 01:09 AM
Velomancer
Ridin'

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Thylacine
6ft 4ins, 205lbs here. Sorry for the MTB content, but at least with this pic you get a view.
Love those Thylacine stripes in the top tube.
Old 07-24-05, 07:41 AM
JJakucyk

Bikes: Trek 7100 Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jeeze, I could take on all of you (except KingTermite and Vidar ). At 6'-2" and 270 lbs I can coast downhill with the best of 'em.

On that note, I have a Klein Rêve V, which is an aluminum frame with carbon fork and seat stays. I never really considered more carbon, so I can't say if that might be getting into the risky range for someone so heavy. I haven't had any problems though, and I got the ok from Trek for their 1500 and 2100 frames as well. I'd stay away from a carbon seatpost, especially on a compact frame, and I don't think I'd go for carbon bars or cranks either. The main thing is the wheels. Frames these days are very strong, but the wheels that come with the nicer bikes are made for being light, not strong. My LBS built me some wheels with 36 straight-gauge spokes, Mavic A719 rims, and Ultegra hubs. They've been rock solid, even after blowing over some really bad bumps that I should've tried harder to avoid.

Last edited by JJakucyk; 07-24-05 at 07:53 AM.
Old 07-24-05, 12:37 PM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12192 Post(s)
Liked 1,496 Times in 1,108 Posts
Vidar,
there are few bikes capable of handling your size and weight.
Cannondale makes a couple. Waterford could, but their frames are not cheap.

I feel you should be riding on tires that are at least 32c.
This leaves out most road bikes. A really tough touring bike might do the trick. But I would contact the manufacturer of any bike you consider to see what they say.
Old 07-24-05, 12:53 PM
cjbruin
Body by Guinness

Bikes: Specialized Allez Pro; Cervelo P2 SL; Tsunami (Converted to Fixed Gear)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think Clydesdale should be a sliding scale...isn't the intent for a person who is too heavy to compete in his age group to be competitive somewhere? If you're 6'3"/205 you still have a chance...5'8"/205, not so much.

Now...I am a clydesdale...
Old 07-24-05, 02:03 PM
vidar.bowbreake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the input! I think it is helpful to all the Clydesdale's out there to have a place to exchange info so lets keep it going.

Late, this is just step one in my research. It gives me an idea of where to start and I am defiantly writing to the manufacturers to get their input before buying from the LBS. Plus I need time to save my nickles and dimes up to be able to afford a new toy. I am just getting tired of using my MTB as a road bike since I haven't been riding on trails for a few years (knee surgery ain't fun) but it will do for now.
I just won't plan any century rides on it. (Although if I could do it peolpe might think I'm crazy or...well...ok just crazy.) And with enough riding I can get my weight down to a more bike friendly range. Since I am just now getting back on my bike and riding after 4-5 years of very little riding.
Although I am gonna pick up some smoother tires instead of the knobbies I am currently riding. They make 10-15 miles of road seem MUCH longer. (like I said I am just getting back on the bike.)

Thanks again!

Maybe we should start a Clydesdale Forum folder on the main page?

Later,
Vidar
Old 07-24-05, 03:05 PM
4SEVEN3

Bikes: Trek 4300 converted into SS, Mongoose Cannan Elite, GT Pro Carbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think by definition a Clydesdale is over 200#, regardless of height/weight ratio. 200# is 200#, the wheels and frame dosent see it any different!

Im 69in and at about 245#'s. Ive been riging a Specialized M4 Road with a campy/mavic wheel setup. The entire thing is a few years old, as Im getting back into the sport. Ive never had a problem with the wheels other than minor truing witch I guess is more of regular maintance.

Ride Safe!
Old 07-24-05, 04:54 PM
hollow

Bikes: Cervelo P2K, Cannondale R1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cjbruin
I think Clydesdale should be a sliding scale...isn't the intent for a person who is too heavy to compete in his age group to be competitive somewhere? If you're 6'3"/205 you still have a chance...5'8"/205, not so much.

Now...I am a clydesdale...
How would you do it, by BMI? We all know how accurate that is.

I loved it when I was just over 200 at 6'3" when I did triathlons. I usually would win the Clydesdale division. I used to have to work to keep just over 200. Don't have to worry about that anymore.
Old 07-24-05, 06:31 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Here is a definition of Clydesdale from a triathlon

Besides regular individual race divisions, there are two alternative divisions: Novice (your definition is fine, just be fair!) and Athena/Clydesdale (women 150+ lbs. / men 200+ lbs.)

https://www.active.com/event_detail.cfm?event_id=1196898

I think that 350 pounds, as the starting weight for the Clydesdale definition, is WAY too much.

Since most bicycle riders are skinny little runts, I think any thing out of the runt category would be appropriate. 5'10" and over 200 pounds

Okay, here I am at age 59 (about 6 years ago) and just over 200 pounds at 5'11.5". Sadly, went up to 240 lbs, and am now back at 216 headed down back to 200! I have three standard issue bikes - 2 roadies and one mtn bike, and over about 25,000 miles the past 6 years, absolutely no problems with anything beyond standard maintenance.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-24-05 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-24-05, 06:52 PM
gattm99
Rouleur

Bikes: ROAD MOUNTAIN

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Vidar,
there are few bikes capable of handling your size and weight.
I disagree. As long as you stay away from exotics, which are becoming less and less exotic all the time, you should be ok.

I have ridden weighing as much as 299 on steel with 32 spoke rims with 23 tires with no problems.
Old 07-24-05, 06:54 PM
allgoo19
Deported by koffee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I think that 350 pounds is WAY too much.
Old 07-24-05, 07:01 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I think that 350 pounds is WAY too much.
Sorry, I meant as the lower weight definition for Clydesdale!
Old 08-18-05, 06:56 PM
KingTermite 
On my TARDIScycle!

Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, you lightweights want to see what a "real" Clydesdale looks like. Then feast your eyes on this frame and try not to go blind doing so!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.