Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Clydesdales unite!

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Clydesdales unite!

Old 08-18-05, 07:56 PM
allgoo19
Deported by koffee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KingTermite
Ok, you lightweights want to see what a "real" Clydesdale looks like. Then feast your eyes on this frame and try not to go blind doing so!
Mikabike(200 lbs more, at least) and PWRDbyTRD(100 lbs more) can beat you easily, KingTermite.

Or at least that's what I heard last time from them. Who knows they maybe way skinnier by now.
Old 08-18-05, 08:00 PM
KingTermite 
On my TARDIScycle!

Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by allgoo19
Mikabike(200 lbs more, at least) and PWRDbyTRD(100 lbs more) can beat you easily, KingTermite.

Or at least that's what I heard last time from them. Who knows they maybe way skinnier by now.
Last time I weighed until a few months ago I was 350. Today the scale says about 331.
Old 08-18-05, 08:29 PM
allgoo19
Deported by koffee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last time I weighed until a few months ago I was 350. Today the scale says about 331.
That's not a bad deal for a short time. Is it easier for you to go up the hills? Success stories are always inspring to other people.

Keep the report coming, KingTermite.
Old 08-18-05, 08:48 PM
CPcyclist

Bikes: Lemond Arrivee, Felt F1 Road, Tomac Revolver(full), GT race (hardtail)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a lighhtweight 155 with a riding buddy hovering around 210 was up around 235(I think). From looking at his road bike and style as well as several Clydsdales
i have meet on the road IMHO 95% of people out there could ride any standard frame out there with a good set of mid profile rims with 32 or 36 14-15 DB or 14g straight spokes. The only thing I have heard him complain about is the flex in the steel fork on his bike. He is currently on 23 with 130psi for tires.

I do enve you guys on the decents. I have to work my A$$ off going down to keep up. Would love to do 50mph while coasting.
Old 08-18-05, 09:14 PM
CastIron
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...57 actually. On the 'Poor Man's Paramount'.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 08-18-05, 09:16 PM
Longhorn
Burnt Orange Blood

Bikes: Trek 7200, Lashout Electric Bike, Raleigh Talon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, you lightweights want to see what a "real" Clydesdale looks like. Then feast your eyes on this frame and try not to go blind doing so!
That bike looks good on you -- very slimming!
Old 08-19-05, 11:23 AM
KingTermite 
On my TARDIScycle!

Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by allgoo19
That's not a bad deal for a short time. Is it easier for you to go up the hills? Success stories are always inspring to other people.

Keep the report coming, KingTermite.
There's not much hills here in Florida. I do the (few) hills (and overpasses) better now, but I don't think its the weight loss so much as it is going clipless and just getting better from more riding.

The looser clothes are more the things I notice. My bike shorts aren't quite so tight on me. If all goes well I may have to buy new bike shorts before the year is up!
Old 08-19-05, 11:49 AM
sorebutt
Über member!

Bikes: 2004 Albert Eisentraut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man, at 5'11"-210lb (down from 315lb), I feel so trim!!!
Old 09-01-05, 10:31 PM
CPclydesdale
Bike Shop Geek

Bikes: I don't own the bicyle... It owns me!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CPcyclist
As a lighhtweight 155 with a riding buddy hovering around 210 was up around 235(I think). From looking at his road bike and style as well as several Clydsdales
i have meet on the road IMHO 95% of people out there could ride any standard frame out there with a good set of mid profile rims with 32 or 36 14-15 DB or 14g straight spokes. The only thing I have heard him complain about is the flex in the steel fork on his bike. He is currently on 23 with 130psi for tires.

I do enve you guys on the decents. I have to work my A$$ off going down to keep up. Would love to do 50mph while coasting.
I must reply I'm now hovering between 200-205lbs. My downhill coasts only take me to 45mph, now. Soon I will have to change my BF name.

I started this game at 242lbs actual. I did it to lose weight, but still try to stay in clydesdale category. Now, I don't care I'll try and pedal out the downhills and become the first 5'11"/195#er to win a crit or citizen race! BTW CPcyclist, help me with a new name or start paying for my Culver's bill... Yee-Ha
Old 09-01-05, 11:17 PM
douchebagonwhlz
www.onecycles.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The big man doesn't hate on another big man!
ride w/ pride.
love the smurf blue sleeveless!!!!!!!!!
where did you get
Old 09-01-05, 11:23 PM
douchebagonwhlz
www.onecycles.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6'8"
was 240 recently, but thanks to some super sickness, probably 230. hopefully no less.
That is pretty much the only pic I have of myself.
Old 09-01-05, 11:52 PM
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Co-Motion will soon begin selling a single road bike designed for very heavy weight riders. Here is an exerpt from the press release issued this week in Eugene:

Best known for its tandem bicycles, Co-Motion offers a total of 17 handmade models - from road bikes to touring bikes to take-apart travel bikes.

It's the company's 18th model that targets yet another market: the extremely overweight rider.

Answering a challenge from Grant Peterson, owner of Rivendell Bicycles in California and publisher of the Rivendell Reader newsletter, Co-Motion has been working for the past year to design a high-performing bike for cyclists whose weight has limited them to heavy-duty single-speeds with balloon tires and coaster brakes.

"The idea is to help especially obese persons who aren't able to just get on any bike, and who find it difficult to get any kind of physical activity," Shepard says. "We want to help them set their goals and hopefully lead a more healthy lifestyle."

When Co-Motion's owners initially responded to Peterson, it was to tell him they already had a bike in their line that was perfect for heavy riders. But it didn't rise to the task Peterson had in mind.

"He told us about the size of people he was thinking about, and we had to rethink it," Shepard says.

Still, the company was well suited to the job. Its tandems are required to carry heavy loads, and it was a matter of designing a single bike with many of the components and structural requirements of a double.

The idea was to boil it all down to a solid bike with low gears for uphills, heavy-duty brakes for downhills, a comfortable seat and a frame that is suitable for the less-than-nimble.

"We know what it takes to support a very large load on a bicycle," Shepard says. "It's just going to be a very heavy-duty little bike that's not very heavy."

It's going to be introduced when fall catalogs come out late this month, and will be available to customers by the first of the year. "The bike's already built," Shepard says. "But we don't have a name for it yet."
Old 09-02-05, 09:17 AM
dwightonabike
My Duty to Ride

Bikes: Giant Iguana 650 utility bike, Surly LHT, Trek TopFuel 7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry about the cheap hybrid bike in the picture; we had to do rentals in San Fran. Still a fun ride, though. I'm at about 275 around 6'1". My bike is a Surly LHT with MTB drive train components, which seem to hold up better and fit in the LHT frame. Mavic CXP 33's (built the wheels myself - only safe option for a clydesdale!) hold up the weight pretty well.
Old 09-02-05, 09:51 AM
Cornbread
Yankees Suck

Bikes: Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ******bagonwhlz
6'8"
was 240 recently, but thanks to some super sickness, probably 230. hopefully no less.
Seriously, what the hel^ are you wearing?
Old 09-02-05, 10:06 AM
substructure
RustyTainte

Bikes: zilch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cornbread
Seriously, what the hel^ are you wearing?
It's the Human Tongue on Wheels
Old 09-02-05, 10:33 AM
Bluechip

Bikes: Salsa Fargo Ti, Cannondale CAAD9, Carbonello Fixed Gear, Specialized Epic Disc

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
This is me at the Alkek Veledrome in Houston during the adult cycling league a few months ago. I am 5' 11" and was weighing in at around 235 at the time. I had a blast but could not keep up with the group on the longer races. I am currently at 205 and still on the way down to 180 or so. I am shooting for aroung Christmas for the final goal because I am going to Hawaii and would like to climb Haleakala while I am there.
Old 09-02-05, 10:42 AM
ho hum
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am gravitationally challenged/gifted at 6'3" and 264. I am down from 287. I have had to rebuild by back wheel 3 times in 3 months because I keep breaking spokes and bending the wheel. I finally broke down and a bought a new wheel and haven't had trouble (yet). I did 33 miles twice this week and have brought my time down by 6 minutes since I started the route. My goal is 210-220. I don't think I could lose much more than that and be healthy. I used to play nose tackle in football and could break just about whatever you wanted me to. Never was skinny. I'll feel skinny at 210 and I'll bet I can ride with alot of you!
Old 09-02-05, 02:14 PM
khackney
Bicycle Luge Racer

Bikes: Modern, old, fixed, mountain.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's me.. 6'0 at about 200-205.
Old 09-02-05, 02:27 PM
hi565
By-Tor...or the Snow Dog?

Bikes: Bianchi Cross Concept, Flyte Srs-3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ******bagonwhlz
6'8"
That must be the new nike skin suit? Wow I gotta get me one of those!
Old 09-02-05, 03:26 PM
CPclydesdale
Bike Shop Geek

Bikes: I don't own the bicyle... It owns me!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CPclydesdale
I must reply I'm now hovering between 200-205lbs. My downhill coasts only take me to 45mph, now. Soon I will have to change my BF name.

I started this game at 242lbs actual. I did it to lose weight, but still try to stay in Clydesdale category. Now, I don't care I'll try and pedal out the downhills and become the first 5'11"/195#er to win a crit or citizen race! BTW CPcyclist, help me with a new name or start paying for my Culver's bill... Yee-Ha
I'm the wide guy in the middle with helmet head. On my left-hand is my buddy Jason (aka - BF's CPcyclist). He backs me up on the BF and drags me on the road. In the shot of the MTBers, I'm the one riding up the log pyramid. Mind you this was after a TT and I didn't know how bad my herniated disc was yet.
Old 09-02-05, 03:53 PM
Peek the Geek
is slower than you

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Marin Pine Mountain, Gunnar Ruffian, Gunnar Roadie, BMC Fourstroke, Salsa Vaya

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are all a bunch of lightweights!!

Here is a big boy (noe the white sneakers....just like a Clydesdale)!!

This was taken the day I came home with the bike...hadn't even rode it yet.....about 1 1/2 years ago. Should do a newer one I suppose one of these days.
Oooh. Even his font size is big!

Old 09-02-05, 03:55 PM
Peek the Geek
is slower than you

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Marin Pine Mountain, Gunnar Ruffian, Gunnar Roadie, BMC Fourstroke, Salsa Vaya

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Toefuzz
My neighbor has miniature horses... I think I'd classify myself as a miniature Clydesdale... 5'10" and 260... Hopefully my new bike will change all that
My wife has a strange fear of miniature horses. And people on stilts.

Old 09-02-05, 09:16 PM
foehn

Location: The Alta Loma area of Rancho Cucamonga. About 45 miles east of Los Angeles, California. Uphill, downhill and across hill riding; not too level!
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hi565
That must be the new nike skin suit? Wow I gotta get me one of those!
Naw, it's the new Nike Tongue suit--you wear it and you can lick anyone on the road!

(sorry, couldn't resist . . . )
Old 09-02-05, 09:29 PM
neutrino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by khackney
Here's me.. 6'0 at about 200-205.

Riding the Dragon? Kick Ass!!!
Old 09-02-05, 10:06 PM
MasterSezFaster
UareFASTjustNOTfastENOUGH

Bikes: Scott Gambler, Scott Ransom, Bianchi C2C 928

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At the end of last years season i was at 315. I am now down to 289 and working my way back to racing weight at around 240.

Unfortunatly I do not have any recent photos of me on my bike except in full dh gear and you can not tell how big I realy am because if that. So instead i am posting 2 pics not cycling related. The first was when we bought our most recent horse (actually 4 years ago) and I was 265lbs at the time. The second is a pic my wife snaped while up at Lake Arrowhead wake boarding. I was 285 in that pic.

Here I am on Belle Starr. First time anyone was ever on her back.

And this is the one from Arrowhead.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.