Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fair price for '06 Cdale r800

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-07, 02:21 PM
wxlidar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Little background: 6'3" looking to get back into upright road after a short stint with 'bents. Stopped in at one of the local LBS's and asked if they had any 63cm Caad8 or 9's. See, I used to ride a 63cm Trek 1000 and moved away from it after neck pains (hence the bents). He said he didn't have any 63cm in the shop but he looked at me and had me try a 60cm. He put it on the trainer and did a quick fit. And I did fit! Big surprise for me. So I am considering this bike. I'm going to head back today or tomorrow for a ride.

It's an '06 R800 original price $1299. It does have a sale sticker on it for 10 or 20% off (can't remember). How far down do you think is fair for a last year's model?

Also, the bike is gloss black. I can't find it on the Cdale website in the archive. But it is spec'd like an '06 so it must be an '06.

Anyway, comments and advice is welcome.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 03-01-07, 12:30 PM
wxlidar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update: rode the R800 today and really like it. They are offering it to me at $1050+tax. Seems good but I may try to get a little more out of them.

I also asked about the color and they said it might be an early model year frame. It does look pretty sweet, all black with white letters.

-Dave
Old 03-01-07, 12:53 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
That price isn't bad...I too woul dtry to get just a little more off...or get some free water bottle cages and bottles. That is nearly 20% off which is pretty typical this time of year ($1039.20 would be 20% off).

Check the price of the 07 CAAD8 Optimo 1 as well. This is in effect the same bike but is slightly down graded (105 RD rather than Ultegra on the R800 and Truvativ crank rather than 105)...but what I am not sure of is the price...I am guessing the price went down a little with the release of the CAAD9.
Old 03-01-07, 01:26 PM
wxlidar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Grasschopper,

Ok, I'll see what more I can get. Maybe closer to $1050 out the door.

The '07 CAAD8 Optimo 1 is $1350 so the R800 looks like a decent deal.

-Dave
Old 03-01-07, 01:33 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Where are you in Central PA?
Old 03-01-07, 02:50 PM
wxlidar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
State College (probably close to you judging by your avatar).
Old 03-01-07, 02:54 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Who you talking to at the Bicycle Shop?

You don't know me (what I am saying here is don't tell them I said this) but I KNOW they can give you that bike for 20% off. Talk to Grant or Jerry.

FWIW I am also in State College...and there is another member here that is as well, maybe we will see you out on the road this year. I was just in TBS over lunch. Oh and back to the wheel conversation they will do an exchange on those wheels...don't know what they will give you for them but they have done similar exchanges in the past.

Hey Beth: Look another member who knows where Central PA is.
Old 03-01-07, 02:57 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Wait a min...you the tall guy demoing the dark C'Dale around lunch time? I was in the shop giving Jerry (the shorter guy) a hard time and buying a seatpost and a couple things of bar tape.
Old 03-01-07, 03:02 PM
wxlidar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bet you we crossed paths today. I was in there around 12:30 today. I'm terrible with names but I think I was working with Eric.

It was suggested in another thread of mine to go for ultegra/open pro wheels. I might see if I can get the shimano's swapped out. If not, I may just sell them on my own.

Hope to see you guys out on the roads this season!

-Dave
Old 03-01-07, 03:05 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Originally Posted by wxlidar
I bet you we crossed paths today. I was in there around 12:30 today. I'm terrible with names but I think I was working with Eric.

It was suggested in another thread of mine to go for ultegra/open pro wheels. I might see if I can get the shimano's swapped out. If not, I may just sell them on my own.

Hope to see you guys out on the roads this season!

-Dave
The blonde sort of aloof guy is Eric...he is the owner.
Taller guy with the goatee is Grant, he is the GM and a buddy of mine.
Shorter guy is Jerry...has worked at TBS for ever (longer than Grant and Eric just bought the place in Dec)
I forget the other taller scruffy guy's name that was there...he is more of a mechanic I think.
Old 03-01-07, 11:40 PM
wxlidar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Grasschopper, I missed your one post. Yes, I was the tall guy looking at the dark C'dale.

I stopped in and purchased the R800. Got a couple water bottle cages thrown in so it ended up being ~20% off. Now I need to decide on the wheels. They will give me $280 for the Shimano's (store credit? forgot to ask) or swap them for Aksiums. I'm still thinking of asking for a set of Ultegra/Open Pros.

-Dave
Old 03-02-07, 05:55 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Dave...yes that will be store credit I would assume. You wont see that from an outright sale but you will also probably pay a bit of a premium for a replacement set. I am trying to think what they have hanging there that would be good. The Askiums wouldn't be bad, a step up for sure...probably the way to go unless they have a set of OP/Ultegras hanging there. The Askiums have 4 spokes more per wheel...a good thing IMO but even more wouldn't hurt.

FYI I am a bit sketchy on their wheel building...if you have them build you a set of wheels ask that Jerry builds them. They have built several sets for me and they never seem to get the tension high enough, which results in them needing trued often. Another option would be that you could bring them over to my place after they build them and we can bring the tension up (I have a truing stand and a tension meter).
Old 03-02-07, 08:23 AM
wxlidar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll see if they can do the Ult/Open Pros first. If not, I may swap to the Aksiums. I may then sell the wheels and buys a set of Ult./Open Pros from performancebike.

Thanks for the advice on the wheels and offer to true them up. I'll let you know how it goes.

-Dave
Old 03-02-07, 08:50 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

For sure go for the Askiums if they don't have any OP Ultegras as it is a better wheel than the WH-550. And for the price of the OP Ultegra from Performance I would ride the Askiums until I had an extra $200 and then just buy those as well...a backup set of wheels is great to have.