Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Removing crank without a crank puller

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-10-07, 06:49 PM
KurskKnyaz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Has anyone been able to do this. I am thinking of using a candle to heat the crank so the metal of the arm expands and then hammer it off. It is a square taper.
Old 08-10-07, 06:52 PM
GV27
Light Makes Right

Bikes: Gianni Motta Criterium, Dean Hardtail

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A crank puller is like 10 bucks.

I don't think a candle's gonna cut it. Perhaps a torch?

Either way, you might as well use a hack saw - you're gonna ruin the crank or bottom bracket or both anyway......
Old 08-10-07, 07:26 PM
supcom
You need a new bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Hammer it off? Do you live in the third world? Maybe you should price a set of replacement cranks before you resort to percussive maintenance.

Today, Nashbar will sell you their house brand crank puller for $7.39 with free shipping. Depending on your state, you might not even pay sales tax.
Old 08-10-07, 08:00 PM
Chrysiptera

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KurskKnyaz
Has anyone been able to do this. I am thinking of using a candle to heat the crank so the metal of the arm expands and then hammer it off. It is a square taper.
Before I had a crank puller I managed to get my cranks off using a set of pry bars. This was a stupid idea and I would never do it again.

Get a puller, any LBS will have one for $13 or less.
Old 08-10-07, 09:13 PM
GV27
Light Makes Right

Bikes: Gianni Motta Criterium, Dean Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're really broke a lot of car parts shops (Autozone, Advance, Checker, Pep Boys, etc.) will lone you tools for free. You just have to put down a deposit. Maybe a two-jaw gear puller might do the trick? Might still ruin the crank but ya never know.

That being said, the deposit will be more than a crank puller costs.
Old 08-11-07, 06:23 AM
Wino Ryder
"Purgatory Central"

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Using a set of pry bars would work. I've even taken crank arms off with a big screwdriver and a block of wood. You could also use a couple of large chisels (the kind that are wedge shaped) to get them off. The amount of damage you do is up to you though, but take my advice and just get a crank puller. You go prying crankarms off and you can easily damage the square taper interface of the crankarm, which is designed to be a tight fit when its bolted down.

The crank puller pulls the crankarm straight off, without any side to side forces ruining the square taper.
Old 08-11-07, 07:39 AM
heyjaffy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by supcom
Hammer it off? Do you live in the third world? Maybe you should price a set of replacement cranks before you resort to percussive maintenance.

Today, Nashbar will sell you their house brand crank puller for $7.39 with free shipping. Depending on your state, you might not even pay sales tax.
The first time that I tried to remove cranks, with a puller, I managed to strip the threads (my fault entirely). My only option was brute force of some kind. It took me about two weeks using a variety of tools, pieces of wood, hammers and mallets, to get the crank off, and nothing was technically ruined by the process. I chose not to install the crank again, because I knew I'd have to go through the same BS should I want to remove them in the future and they weren't worth going the helicoil route. The point is, sometimes you can't use a crank puller.
Old 08-11-07, 09:31 AM
manman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is the way I do it.
This will work with tapered spindles. Remove the nut or bolt out of the non drive side arm, now ride the bike and the arm will start to loosen within a few hundred revolutions. To speed things up youcan repeatedly hop up and down on the pedals alternating right and left foot forward. This has worked 3 times on different cranks Alivio, 300ex and Stronglights. Yes I once tried pry bars and yes they were a stupid idea.
Good Luck mm
Old 08-11-07, 10:05 AM
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte

Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It will get them off, but there's a good chance it will deform (i.e. ruin) the cranks. Also a fair chance of hurting yourself.

- Will Rogers
Old 08-11-07, 11:36 AM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
This is completely ********. Spend the $10, get the proper tool instead of wasting time on some home hack job.
Old 08-11-07, 12:11 PM
tellyho
Your mom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We had this discussion a month ago. It's a dumb idea. Buy the puller.
Old 08-11-07, 12:26 PM
nova
hill hater

Location: norton ohio 5.5 miles from center road tow path trail head

Bikes: cannondale t400 1987 model and a raleigh gran prix from 1973

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buy the puller but if some reason you insist on doing it with out one get a "pickle fork" Used to pop the ball joints loose on cars. Place the forks flat side towards the bb tapered side toward crank arm. Add some wood strips behind the flat side to protect the various bits on the bb. Then use a hard rubber mallet to hit the end of the pickle forks handle. Its the only other tool that you can use to pull a crank with out trashing something. FYI pickle fork = 15+ and hard rubber mallet another 10 crank tool 10 to 15.

The only time i used the pickle fork was when the crank arms threads for the puller were stripped out on a old bike i bought.
Old 08-11-07, 12:29 PM
KurskKnyaz

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks

Thanks for your advice. I figured that the amount of time it would take me to do the job without the proper tool was far more valuable then the tool itself and the bike I risk damaging. I got the puller at bike nashbar for under $8. I learned from working in an auto shop that doing a job without the right tools is a disaster.
Likes For KurskKnyaz:
Old 08-12-07, 12:52 PM
mike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by KurskKnyaz
Don't even think of trying to remove a crank arm without a crank puller. I can understand the temptation, but it isn't worth it.

In the process of banking and crowbaring, you are likely to damage the bottom bracket or at least get it out of whack.

You can get a crank puller for under $15.00. Consider that the $15.00 is cheaper than having it done by a bike shop and it is a lot cheaper than any repair you might have done on a car.

Also, you might be glad to know that a standard crank puller will fit very nearly all cranks with just a couple of exceptions
Old 08-12-07, 01:08 PM
Dr.Deltron

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Chrysiptera
.. I managed to get my cranks off using a set of pry bars. This was a stupid idea...
+1!!!

I would never do it again.
GOOD idea!

Get a puller,
+1! From someone else who has followed the above steps!

Old 08-20-07, 07:39 AM
mr.tool

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you stripped the threads,var, cyclus and stein make repair kits for this. a good bicycle shop would have one.
Old 05-20-09, 06:11 AM
arakhnidef

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I stripped the threads yesterday off an old crank by using the large pin head as opposed to the small one. I almost went nuts, i tried almost everything like using a screwdriver as a chisel and hammering away, the only thing that worked was to get on the bike and ride it with the crank bolt off, it came off in less than a block. Thanks manman.
Old 06-12-09, 05:31 PM
cew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also recently stripped the threads trying to take off a crank to try to tighten a loose bb. I have tried almost every single method I could find on the internet, including a gear puller, to no avail. Sigh.
Old 06-12-09, 05:55 PM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Come on, Monkeys - just buy the right tool. Here's one variety:

https://www.parktool.com/products/det...26&item=CCP-22

And here's what I think is the better variety:

https://www.parktool.com/products/det...=26&item=CWP-7

To those who already have the CWP-6, this CWP-7 is much beefier. It's worth upgrading. You can always donate your old -6 to your local bike-collective, etc.
Old 06-12-09, 07:10 PM
cew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What do you do when the right tool strips a seized crank arm?
Old 06-12-09, 07:14 PM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Take it to a bike-shop and see if they can get it out and cut new threads. Or buy a new crank-arm. Resolve to use grease on the threads the next time.
Old 06-12-09, 07:19 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
If the proper bb tool does not work you can use a gear puller... riding it off is not a suggested practice as it can damage an otherwise decent crank arm.
Old 06-12-09, 07:39 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
If the proper bb tool does not work you can use a gear puller... riding it off is not a suggested practice as it can damage an otherwise decent crank arm.
If the threads are stripped, I would think it is no longer "an otherwise decent crankarm".

I'd "ride it off" as that is least likely to damage the bottom bracket or frame. All of the pry and beat techniques have a strong likelihood of doing collateral damage.
Old 06-12-09, 08:10 PM
Benjamino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the threads are stripped, I would think it is no longer "an otherwise decent crankarm".

I'd "ride it off" as that is least likely to damage the bottom bracket or frame. All of the pry and beat techniques have a strong likelihood of doing collateral damage.
I agree, a stripped crank is no good. If you can get it off without damaging anything, can you do it twice? But seriously, the "ride it off" method is dangerous. I tried going up a short, but very steep hill several times and gave up. I turned around (with my feet off the pedals) and the crank fell off with no warning. Had I been on the pedals I doubt the vasectomy debate would still be relevant (it was a large bike).
Old 06-12-09, 08:15 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
All of the pry and beat techniques have a strong likelihood of doing collateral damage.
Hence the gear puller suggestion. It's the closest thing to a true crank puller and the only damage you are likely to do is superficial damage to the back of the crank.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.