Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Pay it forward...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Pay it forward...

Old 11-29-08, 01:00 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Nothing more, since I sent the tires, but just wanted to remind folks...earlier in the year, I was posting about finding bikes that can be fixed up for needy kids, etc. We got up to 12 here by June or so, and the "catch" sort of dried up.

Good news, I was in LBS returning a borrowed tool; a man walked in, said he had two kid's bikes he wanted to go to a good home. They went in my car and within 15 minutes, I found two little girls through my church's Christmas outreach. All I've got to do is clean them up and lube them. LBS adjusted everything on them while I was running errands, free.

Not 30 minutes after that, a lady called, and has 3 more that I'm going to get. She got my number from the first guy. Make that 5 children this year who will be able to have the fun we're still having after all these years.

Make Sheldon smile.
Old 11-29-08, 02:06 PM
Amani576
Buh'wah?!

Bikes: 2014 Giant Trance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Nothing more, since I sent the tires, but just wanted to remind folks...earlier in the year, I was posting about finding bikes that can be fixed up for needy kids, etc. We got up to 12 here by June or so, and the "catch" sort of dried up.

Good news, I was in LBS returning a borrowed tool; a man walked in, said he had two kid's bikes he wanted to go to a good home. They went in my car and within 15 minutes, I found two little girls through my church's Christmas outreach. All I've got to do is clean them up and lube them. LBS adjusted everything on them while I was running errands, free.

Not 30 minutes after that, a lady called, and has 3 more that I'm going to get. She got my number from the first guy. Make that 5 children this year who will be able to have the fun we're still having after all these years.

Make Sheldon smile.
And a nice boost to your karma. +1 Robbie, keep it up.
-Gene-
Old 11-29-08, 02:20 PM
brandenjs
WV is not flat..

Bikes: 1 away from divorce!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 431 Times in 174 Posts
+1 on the karma...Good job Robbie..Just makes you sit back, sigh, and feel good. The best part is the "nothing in return" attitude...
Old 11-29-08, 04:11 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

When I got to the lady's house, she had 3 bikes, none of which would fit in my car, plus 2 electric scooters and 2 regular scooters. I told her I'd make a couple of trips. She tossed me the keys to her truck and said "leave it by the fence when you're done." Before today, we'd never met. I filled it with gas, now that it doesn't cost a fortune. And I found 4 retired gentlemen who will clean up and charge the scooters, 3 others who will lube and adjust the newer bikes.

I'll get to rub a dub dubbing on the little kid bikes.

All of the bikes are going to foster children, plus the scooters. A good day to be.
Old 11-29-08, 04:46 PM
TBART

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
pay it forward

When I got to the lady's house, she had 3 bikes, none of which would fit in my car, plus 2 electric scooters and 2 regular scooters. I told her I'd make a couple of trips. She tossed me the keys to her truck and said "leave it by the fence when you're done." Before today, we'd never met. I filled it with gas, now that it doesn't cost a fortune. And I found 4 retired gentlemen who will clean up and charge the scooters, 3 others who will lube and adjust the newer bikes.

All of the bikes are going to foster children, plus the scooters. A good day to be.

Your a good man RobbieTunes!
Old 11-29-08, 06:49 PM
txvintage
Tilting with windmills

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Nicely done Robbie, nicely done indeed.
Old 11-29-08, 06:55 PM
bmaxwell

Bikes: Nishiki Saga, Nishiki Olympic

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Robbie, that is amazing what a good Karma day for sure. I bet those kids will be so greatfull when they get their new bikes and scooters. that is just what we need more of, folks going out of their way to help others who are less fortunate.
Old 11-29-08, 09:51 PM
Business810

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great job Robbie!

On a similar note, my LBS and my local police department team up with a similar program around the holidays to fix up some bikes for needy kids. If anyone has anything in the western PA area to donate to the cause, please let me know.
Old 11-29-08, 10:26 PM
Exit.
No lugs? No hugs.

Bikes: '85 Miyata 310, '06 GT Performer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

That's ridiculous. Small towns are so weird to me sometimes.

Also, props on hooking kids up with free bikes. Myself included. Oh, I know my new address now, so I'll PM it to you!
Old 11-29-08, 10:47 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by Exit.
That's ridiculous. Small towns are so weird to me sometimes.

Also, props on hooking kids up with free bikes. Myself included. Oh, I know my new address now, so I'll PM it to you!
Great, since I now have a frame box, from geekrunner! I can ship that frame to you.

I'm tired, but after working on the bikes, they are clean, and so are my hands!
Old 11-30-08, 12:03 AM
Exit.
No lugs? No hugs.

Bikes: '85 Miyata 310, '06 GT Performer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If your hands are clean after working on bikes, you're doing it wrong.

Old 11-30-08, 09:37 AM
High Fist Shin
Back In The Saddle

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Robbie, you're a good man. Those kids are very lucky indeed to have you in their community.

Kudos my friend!
Old 11-30-08, 01:17 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Got a few derailleurs for anyone who can use them:

1. Taken
2. Taken
3. Taken

EDIT: B'duh, b'duh, b'duh, that's all folks!

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Last edited by sykerocker; 12-01-08 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-30-08, 07:03 PM
sonatageek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
GONE! I have a larger never used bag for under the saddle. If you would like it PM me and it is yours.
[IMG][/IMG]

Now to find some other things to give away.

Last edited by sonatageek; 12-01-08 at 07:43 AM.
Old 12-01-08, 01:39 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
I've got a large fork (1in diameter, 10in steerer tube) from of a 78 Raleigh Competition. Reynolds 531, campy drop outs and chrome ends, It was repainted red (poorly). I just ask that you pay the shipping cost.

I'll post some pics later

Edit: Fork has been claimed
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)

Last edited by mkeller234; 12-01-08 at 08:45 AM.
Old 12-01-08, 08:15 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by Machin Shin
Robbie, you're a good man. Those kids are very lucky indeed to have you in their community.

Kudos my friend!
My last note on this, because the thread is very important to keep going for its intended purpose.

I found out yesterday that the original donor of 2 bikes simply emailed 150 of his colleagues (realtors) that they could call me and I'd "handle it." I walked into church yesterday to find about a dozen volunteers and offers of several more bikes. The original 5 are finished and ready, plus 2 scooters. The donor of a Specialized Hard Rock saw it cleaned up, and I couldn't fix the R shifter, so he took it back, says now he'll go ahead and buy a shifter. Maybe I'll see it again, maybe he'll resume riding. Either way is good. I'll find a local donor for batteries for the electric scooters, and get them out, too. It looks like we'll be doing this until about Dec 16th, and are on pace to create 15-20 new riders. I'm grateful for your words of encouragement, and realize now, of course, that this has nothing to do with me, I'm just where I was supposed to be at the time.

Rob
Old 12-01-08, 11:57 AM
monogodo
NFL Owner

Bikes: 7-Eleven Eddy Merckx, Vitus Futural, Catamount FRS, Colnago SL, SS MTB

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
My last note on this, because the thread is very important to keep going for its intended purpose.

I found out yesterday that the original donor of 2 bikes simply emailed 150 of his colleagues (realtors) that they could call me and I'd "handle it." I walked into church yesterday to find about a dozen volunteers and offers of several more bikes. The original 5 are finished and ready, plus 2 scooters. The donor of a Specialized Hard Rock saw it cleaned up, and I couldn't fix the R shifter, so he took it back, says now he'll go ahead and buy a shifter. Maybe I'll see it again, maybe he'll resume riding. Either way is good. I'll find a local donor for batteries for the electric scooters, and get them out, too. It looks like we'll be doing this until about Dec 16th, and are on pace to create 15-20 new riders. I'm grateful for your words of encouragement, and realize now, of course, that this has nothing to do with me, I'm just where I was supposed to be at the time.

Rob
In case you're still wondering why I'm not accepting payment for those brake calipers, the above is the reason.
Old 12-01-08, 01:27 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
up for anyone who can use them: SunTour Superbe brake levers. Solid lever with a small stylized 'S' near the top. I'm missing one clamp band (and probably bolt), no hoods (I've got some black hoods that I will include, but they don't fit perfect), and the levers have had their anodizing stripped and levers polished (to remove some light road rash, they look great now!).

...and gone!

Last edited by cuda2k; 12-01-08 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-03-08, 11:11 AM
jan nikolajsen 
Mostly Mischief

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 24 Posts
TAKEN This is a rather pathetic freebie.. more self-sacrificing items will hopefully follow soon.

Last edited by jan nikolajsen; 12-03-08 at 07:29 PM.
Old 12-03-08, 11:15 AM
treebound 
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts

Last edited by treebound; 12-03-08 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-03-08, 03:37 PM
divineAndbright

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some stuff to give away to anyone who wants it, one per person please, unless you want to take em all in which case you pay for the shipping.

Unused Look delta cleats, the version with 9 degree of float, sorry cannot find the mounting hardward.
CLAIMED!

Shimano exage sport derailleurs set, short cage double set up.
CLAIMED!

Some shimano derailleur simply labled "SIS", medium cage.
PS: I just noticed the barrel adjuster is gone along with the nut and washer to pinch the cable down.. but shouldnt be too hard to find replacements.

Last edited by divineAndbright; 12-03-08 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-03-08, 04:53 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
I've got a set of fenders for a Raleigh Sprite 27" wheels. Good shape. Also a set of fenders from a Raleigh Ltd.-3 (650 A wheels) but the front one has a dent. Should be able to bang/bend it back in shape.

Pic of front fender dent

EDIT: TAKEN

Last edited by bbattle; 12-16-08 at 06:13 AM.
Old 12-03-08, 11:00 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
ALL PREVIOUSLY PICTURED SEATPOSTS ARE TAKEN.

I also have (and can take photos for interested parties):

One Sansin 40H tandem hub (wide dropout spacing) with a Suntour freehub and lotsa sprockets

Front wheel, 700C with narrow "Raleigh" alloy eyeletted rim, 36 spokes (edit: need to check whether they're stainless or galv. steel), presta valve hole; SR alloy low-flange hub; no skewer (request that recipient pay shipping)
BUT, THERE'S MORE (I'm calling these two wheels one "item," if one likes) -- Rear wheel, also 700C, somewhat wider Weinmann 2115 non-eyeletted rim, 36 galv. spokes, Schraeder valve hole, Joytech alloy low-flange hub; Suntour Perfect freewheel, looks like 6-speed 13-26 or so; no skewer (request that recipient pay shipping)

Three plastic/foam-padded/steel-railed saddles, all black, in slightly different shapes and sizes: Viscount (leather cover), Selle Royal (leather cover, coupla pock-marks) and Trico (harder plastic cover)

WHAT'S BEEN TAKEN:
GONE -- Set of Modolo Corsa sidepull brakes, calipers and levers; these are not high-end, reach in the 43-57 mm range, nutted
BEING RECYCLED -- Set of Dia-Compe "G" sidepull brakes (edit: see ones like them at VeloBase.com), 47-57mm, nutted, with levers and (old) cables
SPOKEN FOR, BUT THE STEM (for a Varsinental or the like) IS STILL AVAILABLE -- Set of Schwinn "Worldsport" drop bars, with that wild "free love" shape; width 43 cm to end-plug centers, but fairly narrow on top; including a set of Weinmann brake levers with turkey wings (aka suicide levers), and one of those skinny Schwinn stems; bars are 25.4 mm at the clamp
TAKEN -- SR drop bars "Custom/Road Champion" 39 cm at the end-plug centers, including SR 100 mm extension stem
GONE -- Set of Gnutti high-flange hubs, never been used, including skewers; not impressive finish
TAKEN -- Plastic/foam-padded/steel-railed saddle, all black: Specialized (made by Viscount, with discreet but red S logo)
TAKEN -- Seatpost, shortish SR (= Sakae Ringko) type, steel rail clamps, but the post itself is alloy (27.2 mm)
SURPRISED THEY LASTED SO LONG -- Set of SR alloy quill pedals, presumably English threaded, one-piece cage and spindle; bearings a bit rough (edit: may just need new balls+ adjustment), and missing their dustcaps (prob. same as ubiquitous MKS); but including nice Christophe chromed toeclips (a bit of rust) and Lapize leather straps with buckles
TAKEN -- One more seatpost, shortish SR (= Sakae Ringko) types, microadjust all-alloy type (26.6 mm)
EVEN THIS -- Schwinn stem for Varsinental (or the like) skinny steerer tube; extension = 70 mm; clamp diameter 25.4 mm
SPOKEN FOR -- Three Suntour Vx low-flange front hubs; brand new, not wonderfully finished, 36H; bearings feel rough, but maybe they're just tightened too much

Last edited by Charles Wahl; 12-08-08 at 08:52 PM.
Old 12-05-08, 08:05 PM
Iowegian

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
last call on a 28 hole tubular650c rim. It's a Mavic hard-ano'd and looks nearly new but has a bit of glue residue. Get all the details on the pay it forward thread in the marketplace.
Old 12-07-08, 09:18 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
I found two more things to give away:

Simplex SX-810 rear derailer, with claw. The mounting bolt won't fit a standard Italian/English integral dropout, -- much smaller, like 6 mm; its inside nut needs the threads chased (it will go on backwards, but not the right way); and it's missing an adjustable cable stop (stop has a threaded hole, but the part that receives the ferrule and threads in is missing). On top of all that, it has no "badge" on the outer arm. If you can deal with all that, and need one, it's yours.

TAKEN -- One Campy retrofriction right-side/rear shifter (according to my visual grep on Velobase, it's Syncro II, C-record); not in as good finish condition as the one pictured, and I don't even know if all the parts are there -- it was given to me, and I don't really have a use for it.

Last edited by Charles Wahl; 12-08-08 at 01:52 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.