Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your Most Recent Cycling-related Purchase

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Your Most Recent Cycling-related Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-17, 08:17 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by ARPRINCE
Ahhhh....The shop got new bearings for you that you never ordered or confirmed an order you placed?
Took them in for an adjustment and they said bearings were shot so they replaced them. Good service.
Old 11-27-17, 10:40 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Two merino base-layers and a L&M light.
Old 11-27-17, 12:20 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Just ordered two Ultegra 160mm CLD disc rotors for the new wheelset I'm building.
Old 11-27-17, 06:15 PM
itchyjoe

Bikes: S Works Aethos/Spec Roubaix/S Works Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To followup on my ArtsCyclery post (25th) they have 25% off all Specialized items today so I called and they gave me $100 credit on the shoe order shipped Friday. Now that's great service--net price $220!

And just saw Backcountry has Skratch Labs drink mix for $12.67--a good deal--I've paid the full $19.50 before.

https://www.backcountry.com/skratch-...IZ&ti=Ojo6MTo=

Last edited by itchyjoe; 11-27-17 at 07:47 PM.
Old 11-28-17, 06:44 AM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
new take off Fizik Antares from the bike shop for pretty cheap. Have liked it on the CX bike so far and am going to try it on the road bike too

2 bags of Skratch slightly cheaper with amazon prime since i didn't have $50 for free ship at backcountry.

also got a pair of bibs at Primal for $13 and some $20 mtn bike shorts for my GF.

small Rigid shop vac for the basement and cleaning the cars on sale at Home depot too. will be easier than lugging our large 10-15gal one around from the garage.
Old 11-29-17, 02:15 AM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Bought this warm (seems thin to me) Castelli jersey on sale at Competitive Cyclist. The rest of the goodies came from Sports Basement using the 20% off coupon earned from donating platelets (donation #241).

The Swiftwick socks are pricey, but they are double layer, tightly knit, fairly thin warm socks. I can get add a second pair of socks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20171128_202321703.jpg (352.6 KB, 436 views)
Old 11-29-17, 12:53 PM
logical
______

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SethAZ
I know, I know, I've been looking at that too. In fact, right now it's being blown out by Clever Training for like $399, and if one used a discount code there it could be had in the low 300s. I'm so sorely tempted I cannot even tell you, but unfortunately I've got some hubs and spokes to buy to build out the rims I just got in the mail. I just keep reminding myself that power meters are only getting better, and cheaper, and that if I keep training now using heart rate, I can find out exactly what power I'm putting out a little later. But damn, the Stages single-side power meter for Ultegra 6800 is eye-poppingly cheap right now. Let us know how you like it. I'd be curious to hear what you think about it.
Whats the discount code if you dont mind sharing? Been looking at getting one but even at this closeout price it doesnt put me over the edge of getting one. One in the low 300s might do it.
Old 11-29-17, 01:02 PM
SethAZ 

Originally Posted by logical
Whats the discount code if you dont mind sharing? Been looking at getting one but even at this closeout price it doesnt put me over the edge of getting one. One in the low 300s might do it.
Google DC RainMaker. On his pages he has a discount code for Clever Training that will get you 10% off. He's got tons and tons of reviews out there, including reviews where he goes through the different types of power meters, discusses them, covers pretty much all of them out there, etc. He also covers other things, like trainers, GPS units, and more. It's easily the most comprehensive review site you'll find.There were recently other deals that I saw but wasn't in a position to take advantage of. You could probably pick up the Stages right now, though, for like $350 or so.

My enthusiasm for the Stages is still there, but somewhat cooled a little, the more I've researched. It's had a significantly higher rate of failures than most other power meters, for instance. A German site I read stuff from has them actually revealing their percentages based on their own sales and warranty issues that they deal with, and they do enough volume in Europe for those numbers to mean something.

Right now I'm leaning toward a dual-sided solution, even though I've read that the left-only solutions are remarkably good for people who don't have obvious power asymmetries from, say, injuries or whatever. Surprisingly, it seems like the Quark DFour solution would actually be one of the cheapest solutions I could get right now, at around $850 through Starbike without the chainrings (I'd swap them over from my Shimano cranks). It means saving up a little more, but that's the way I'm leaning.
Old 11-29-17, 01:13 PM
logical
______

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Google DC RainMaker. On his pages he has a discount code for Clever Training that will get you 10% off. He's got tons and tons of reviews out there, including reviews where he goes through the different types of power meters, discusses them, covers pretty much all of them out there, etc. He also covers other things, like trainers, GPS units, and more. It's easily the most comprehensive review site you'll find.There were recently other deals that I saw but wasn't in a position to take advantage of. You could probably pick up the Stages right now, though, for like $350 or so.

My enthusiasm for the Stages is still there, but somewhat cooled a little, the more I've researched. It's had a significantly higher rate of failures than most other power meters, for instance. A German site I read stuff from has them actually revealing their percentages based on their own sales and warranty issues that they deal with, and they do enough volume in Europe for those numbers to mean something.

Right now I'm leaning toward a dual-sided solution, even though I've read that the left-only solutions are remarkably good for people who don't have obvious power asymmetries from, say, injuries or whatever. Surprisingly, it seems like the Quark DFour solution would actually be one of the cheapest solutions I could get right now, at around $850 through Starbike without the chainrings (I'd swap them over from my Shimano cranks). It means saving up a little more, but that's the way I'm leaning.
Thanks, unfortunately that code doesnt work with the stages power meter on discount(discontinued)

Stages is the cheapest decent thing out there and I dont need something super accurate or dual sided power since I just want to know some numbers. Stages will get me 98% of where I want to be so Im not considering anything else unless its almost as accurate and cheaper.
Old 11-29-17, 02:02 PM
SethAZ 

Originally Posted by logical
Thanks, unfortunately that code doesnt work with the stages power meter on discount(discontinued)

Stages is the cheapest decent thing out there and I dont need something super accurate or dual sided power since I just want to know some numbers. Stages will get me 98% of where I want to be so Im not considering anything else unless its almost as accurate and cheaper.
Yeah it's what's had me looking at that one too. I hadn't checked to see if the Stages was excluded from that discount. Sorry to hear that.

Given the money I have recently spent on bike-related stuff, it's going to be at least two or three months before I can accumulate more money and/or good will with my wife to spend as big a chunk as any power meter, even the Stages. So I have time to keep reading and marinating over the decision. The fact that the Stages is being discontinued presents two facts: yes it's very cheap now for that model compared to what it's been, and they're discontinuing it for a reason, so either there's something better coming out, or there's something wrong with that model and a fixed version is replacing it. Either way, I've got time to watch it play out before I can pull the trigger.

There are two things about the Quarq that are warring against each other in my mind. A sort of cognitive dissonance. Thing 1: I don't like how it fundamentally replaces such a crucial aspect of my drive train as the bottom bracket and crankset combo. At least the Dfour would retain compatibility with my Ultegra 6800-level chainrings and such. Thing 2: I love how "plug and play" the Quarq is, the battery replacement compartment is right there, well protected, can be accessed easily and with no tools, etc. It's also supposed to be highly accurate and consistent, and they've been around forever.

I'm really loving how the Garmin Vector 3 pedals look, and from what I've read, they work very well indeed. They don't even look different than normal pedals, and they would be easily transferrable to any bike. I wouldn't have to change any other aspect of my drivetrain and wheels. The primary limiter for me with the Vector 3 solution is that their rider weight limit is lower than what I weigh now, and lower than I'm likely to be at any time in the near future.
Old 11-29-17, 02:27 PM
FeltF2Tarmac
Woman make me faster

Bikes: 2014 Felt F2 Di2 2018 Tarmac Comp Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I know the stages had issues with the battery door that have been addressed with the second version. The dropping signal from my understanding is a firmware issue. I even considered the Pioneer left side meter but it’s not any cheaper. My meter showed up yesterday and my first ride with it today. May not mean anything but everything worked as expected. Took all of 10 minutes to install and pair with my Garmin.
I’m 48 and any thoughts of killing the tour have been crushed long ago but for my purpose it’s going to do exactly what I want and although still pricey at $399 close out it’s a perfect fit for me. I will say this, looking at power numbers has been enlightening, humbling and impressive all at the same time. I have a ways too go but this should be a great tool to gauge improvement.
Old 11-29-17, 06:12 PM
Beachbumer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 11-30-17, 07:45 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
a Sram 9 speed cassette for my commuting bike. ahh no longer running a 11-23 on a 31 pound commuting bike. legs liked it better on the commute this morning.

plus a little carbon handlebar extension for adding some extra light since all my rides are in the dark these days!
Old 11-30-17, 08:44 PM
Hapsmo911

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
I have issues...

10 tubes
2 GP4000's
Lazer Z1 Mips with Rain cover
Gloworm X2 light
Fizik Antares R1 VS EVO
Old 11-30-17, 09:45 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I bought 3 different pairs of road shorts for a total of $70USD. These were all from the big A and I wanted to see if the cheap stuff was worth it at all as the shorts I bought before these cost about $70 each. I used one pair tonight, from Nooyme, and they seemed OK on the trainer. These have a gel filled chamois. The others were OpenRoad and Santic and were kind of randomly picked. The Santic seemed the best of the bunch but I haven't tried them yet on the bike. All were also in the $20-25 range so they won't break the bank. I have expensive shorts that I think were crap so if these are crap at least they aren't expensive, and I'm not saying they're crap.
Old 11-30-17, 11:06 PM
FeltF2Tarmac
Woman make me faster

Bikes: 2014 Felt F2 Di2 2018 Tarmac Comp Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The fact that the Stages is being discontinued presents two facts: yes it's very cheap now for that model compared to what it's been, and they're discontinuing it for a reason, so either there's something better coming out, or there's something wrong with that model and a fixed version is replacing it.
Still the same meter on every arm they sell. 6800 is making way for 8000 that’s the reason for it being discontinued. 9000 is clearanced for 9100. This way if you want Ultegra you can get the latest and greatest and they for sure offer up the drive side for sale as well, for your convenient one stop shopping.

Last edited by FeltF2Tarmac; 11-30-17 at 11:34 PM.
Old 12-01-17, 06:24 AM
MauiKai
Thats "MISTER Poopypants"

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac with Shimano RS81s and 105s

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rims for my new bike

I will put Schwalbe Ones on them tomorrow as well as my Chorus cassette then try to get the chain sized and put on tomorrow as well. If things go right then I might be able to ride it on Sunday, but I doubt it since I have to work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
S__9412624.jpg (369.5 KB, 310 views)
Old 12-01-17, 09:48 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I pulled the trigger and ordered a gravel bike...! I even told my significant other
Old 12-01-17, 10:19 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by a1penguin
Bought this warm (seems thin to me) Castelli jersey on sale at Competitive Cyclist. The rest of the goodies came from Sports Basement using the 20% off coupon earned from donating platelets (donation #241).

The Swiftwick socks are pricey, but they are double layer, tightly knit, fairly thin warm socks. I can get add a second pair of socks!
I approve of this Castelli and Swiftwick purchase.
Old 12-02-17, 02:22 AM
a1penguin

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I approve of this Castelli and Swiftwick purchase.
The jersey is the Castelli Sfida and I got it on sale at Competitive Cyclist for $100 plus tax. I've only bought jerseys from the sale rack at Performance and a couple of them are at least 20 years old. This jersey is my first premium clothing (I love my REI Headwinds pants and jacket but they were from the sale rack too for about $55).

I have to admit that I am impressed with this jersey! I fits me like a glove, unlike the cheap, baggy old jerseys. It's quite warm and I have worn it at temps below the rated 54ºF rating. I think the really tall collar is very effective at keeping wind out. And when it warms up on my commute, I can stay comfortable by unzipping. I wish the arms were a bit thicker material; my torso was warm, but the arms stayed a bit cool, but tolerable. If the temps on my morning commute hadn't warmed up, my arms might have stayed chilled. The arms are long and there was no gap between shirt and gloves. The three rear pockets are very deep. Great for phone, but difficult for me to reach in for lip stuff while riding. This is my first full zip jersey and it's great! I think with arm warmers or a light base layer can extend comfort to 45ºF. The length is OK, but it seemed a bit shorter than my other jerseys in the back and I hiked up my shorts a bit to make sure there was no air gap. I'm guessing most guys wear bibs where this isn't an issue. I'm 5'7", 150 lbs and the women's XL fit me really well. I think this sizing is typical for cycling clothing but I can't imagine how tiny one must be to fit a size small.

So far, I am not disappointed! Happy that I splurged on an expensive xmas gift for myself. Winter clothing will probably start going on sale soon after xmas :-)

If only Castelli and other vendors would stop making women's jerseys in teal and raspberry. )%&^&^ them. I really wanted bright lime and ended up buying white.

The Swiftwicks are also not cheap. But they are amazingly warm while being relatively thin. They are double woven and if you stretch them out near the top, you won't see a lot of air gaps for cold to enter. This makes it easier to double up on socks if you don't have a lot of extra room.

And the components for my $1100 2.1 audio/HT system have started arriving!
Old 12-03-17, 07:47 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
I bought a new bike! I've been eyeing the Dahon Dash Altena, a folding mini-velo with classic styling, for quite a while and when the LBS finally had one in stock, I took the opportunity to check it out and bought it there and then.

Also bought a couple of accessories to go with the new bike -- some cheap Topeak tire levers, Topeak Mini 20 Pro multitools, and a basic pair of Shimano R550 road pedals.

Thinking of replacing the stock brakes (Tektro R315), as I have a pair of Ultegra brakes lying around, but worried about ruining the classic looks. Also thinking of switching out the stock tires with some Panaracer Minits Lite but I'll have to go buy a set from the FLBS first.

Anyway, the timing is a bit off since it's a Sunday so I won't get to really ride the bike on a proper ride until next Saturday. I only went a couple of rounds around the neighbourhood before it got dark, but that's not really enough to fully get a feel of the bike. The wait is going to be agonizing, lol...
Old 12-03-17, 09:46 PM
Laurido92

Bikes: 2019 Pinarello Prince FX 2021 Pinarello Prince Disk Canyon Grizl CF SL

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Vuelta Corsa SLX 700c Disc wheelset
https://photos.app.goo.gl/R6mGlrm7hH1us2La2
Canari Puerto Rico jersey
https://photos.app.goo.gl/0sRrcW3YohVhnh2L2
https://photos.app.goo.gl/psxXM8NMSWwagHML2
Giro Carbide R MTB shoes
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PPgLYA7kvveGTYwC3
Topeak Aero Wedge DX Med
https://photos.app.goo.gl/bpcNl04mOBiBvV0u1
Old 12-04-17, 07:02 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Just ordered a pair of Panaracer Minits Lite, size 28-451. Should arrive in 1-2 days.
Old 12-04-17, 07:25 AM
Jpayer1

Bikes: 2014 Trek 8.4 DS

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PI thermal tights
Old 12-04-17, 09:04 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by a1penguin
The jersey is the Castelli Sfida and I got it on sale at Competitive Cyclist for $100 plus tax. I've only bought jerseys from the sale rack at Performance and a couple of them are at least 20 years old. This jersey is my first premium clothing (I love my REI Headwinds pants and jacket but they were from the sale rack too for about $55).

I have to admit that I am impressed with this jersey! I fits me like a glove, unlike the cheap, baggy old jerseys. It's quite warm and I have worn it at temps below the rated 54ºF rating. I think the really tall collar is very effective at keeping wind out. And when it warms up on my commute, I can stay comfortable by unzipping. I wish the arms were a bit thicker material; my torso was warm, but the arms stayed a bit cool, but tolerable. If the temps on my morning commute hadn't warmed up, my arms might have stayed chilled. The arms are long and there was no gap between shirt and gloves. The three rear pockets are very deep. Great for phone, but difficult for me to reach in for lip stuff while riding. This is my first full zip jersey and it's great! I think with arm warmers or a light base layer can extend comfort to 45ºF. The length is OK, but it seemed a bit shorter than my other jerseys in the back and I hiked up my shorts a bit to make sure there was no air gap. I'm guessing most guys wear bibs where this isn't an issue. I'm 5'7", 150 lbs and the women's XL fit me really well. I think this sizing is typical for cycling clothing but I can't imagine how tiny one must be to fit a size small.

So far, I am not disappointed! Happy that I splurged on an expensive xmas gift for myself. Winter clothing will probably start going on sale soon after xmas :-)

If only Castelli and other vendors would stop making women's jerseys in teal and raspberry. )%&^&^ them. I really wanted bright lime and ended up buying white.

The Swiftwicks are also not cheap. But they are amazingly warm while being relatively thin. They are double woven and if you stretch them out near the top, you won't see a lot of air gaps for cold to enter. This makes it easier to double up on socks if you don't have a lot of extra room.

And the components for my $1100 2.1 audio/HT system have started arriving!

I love the clearance rack.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.