Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Who makes the best road hubs?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Who makes the best road hubs?

Old 09-29-09, 03:29 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3368 Post(s)
Liked 5,482 Times in 2,840 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
[*]Angular contact ball bearings. Cartridge bearings are used in hubs by small-fry manufacturers who don't have the tooling or sales volume to support custom hub parts such as forged and polished cones and cups. Angular contact balls support axial loads better (mainly the clamping force of the quick release), and are easier to service and replace wearing parts. Balls cost pennies each. Cones cost at most $20 per set.[/LIST]
- Cartridge bearings: For people who like to spend time *riding* bikes.
- Ball/Cone bearings: For people who like to spend time *working* on bikes.

Flame away.
Old 09-29-09, 03:39 PM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RichinPeoria
I can buy a pair of Campagnolo Record hubs for the price of just the rear hub of most of the above and in some cases have alot of $ left over

Royce, King, DT Swiss all look like a big waste of money to me.
I love my Campy hubs, but they don't come in anything but a 32 hole drilling. Not exactly the best for lighter and/or more aero wheelsets.
Old 09-29-09, 04:16 PM
Rob P.
Fred at large

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
- Cartridge bearings: For people who like to spend time *riding* bikes.
- Ball/Cone bearings: For people who like to spend time *working* on bikes.

Flame away.
Actually this whole "angular bearings are better than cartridge bearings" talk is BS. You can get angular contact cartridge bearings in most bearing sizes that are used for hubsets. WHY the mfg's don't use them is beyond my ability to understand but they ARE available.

For this thread, I'm having problems getting past the "best" part of the question. "Best" for one person is not the same for someone else.

If you REALLY want to discuss what hubs PERFORM better, then lets talk about hub design (ie: straight pull spokes vs J-bend vs nipples on hub vs weight vs machining vs bling vs ...) Bearings are non-starters in the "best" category because you can change them.
Old 09-29-09, 05:26 PM
Ed Holland
8speed DinoSORAs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've a couple of wheelsets with Hope Technology road hubs. They have served me well in all weathers, and are available with steel or titanuim freehub bodies. Most importantly, they have cartridge bearings which, as well as being replaceable, seemed to hold up really well in English winter conditions - As yet they have not needed any attention.
Old 09-30-09, 03:17 AM
Blacklab78

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
If you actually plan on riding your bike lots - I really feel it's very hard to go past Dura Ace or Record Hubs. Both are bombproof, both spin forever, both are reasonably light and both very rarely fail.

DT240's are excellent also - although they do spin less (in your hand anyway - who knows on the road!)

When it comes to the others - you are either looking at a more boutique build ($$$$) or something different for the sake of being different. Tune/King/Hope/Alchemy etc all fall into this category IMHO

IMO the two best wheel manufacturers in the market are - you guessed it - Campy and Shimano.
Likes For Blacklab78:
Old 09-30-09, 03:21 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
You just listen to that Psimet kid.
Old 09-30-09, 04:39 AM
socalrider

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Campy Record or Phil Wood..

I also have Chris King and White Industry and they are solid too..
Old 09-30-09, 05:47 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Blacklab78
When it comes to the others - you are either looking at a more boutique build ($$$$) or something different for the sake of being different. Tune/King/Hope/Alchemy etc all fall into this category IMHO
Quite the opposite in fact. I build with Alchemy because they make much more sense value wise than Shimano or Campy. Not to mention you're not as limited by spoke drillings like you are with Shimano and Campy.

On top of that the Alchemy ELF flange spacing is much wider and the flange is thicker giving it a much stiffer buildup.

DT is outrageous price wise - even at wholesale.

Old 09-30-09, 05:51 AM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Who makes the best pizza?
Old 09-30-09, 05:55 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Lou Malnattis. This is Chicago remember....

Old 09-30-09, 06:00 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 2,167 Times in 1,459 Posts
Originally Posted by Grumpy McTrumpy
Who makes the best pizza?
Campy - it's the answer to everything.
Old 09-30-09, 07:25 AM
Blacklab78

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Quite the opposite in fact. I build with Alchemy because they make much more sense value wise than Shimano or Campy. Not to mention you're not as limited by spoke drillings like you are with Shimano and Campy.

On top of that the Alchemy ELF flange spacing is much wider and the flange is thicker giving it a much stiffer buildup.

DT is outrageous price wise - even at wholesale.

I don't disagree with any of the comments here by Psimet2001. However, if you are in a country town in the middle of Australia (insert far away place here...) and you need a freehub/bearing etc cos your's is cactus - try getting an Alchemy hub part in under 2 weeks (if at all)...shimano however...is probably in stock.

Last edited by Blacklab78; 09-30-09 at 07:34 AM.
Likes For Blacklab78:
Old 09-30-09, 07:39 AM
MCODave
A treat for the freaks!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A few years ago, I would have been quick to agree that the answer to the question is Campy/Shimano. But those hubs have gotten EXPENSIVE to the point where it really isn't that much of a jump to something like White or Alchemy.

I have both Dura Ace and Ultegra 9-speed hubs, and I swear I used to get them for like $120 and $70 A PAIR. I was looking at the price of the current 10-speed hubs, and that won't buy you just the rear hub.

And Campy is no better. They have basically dropped all of their lower-group hubs to where you have to get Chorus or Records hubs if you want to build you own wheels. I was looking at getting a cheap Veloce group from Ribble, and it would have cost 1/2 the price of the rest of the group just to add a pair of hubs. It was actually cheaper to get low-end wheels than just hubs from Campy.
Old 09-30-09, 07:50 AM
Blacklab78

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
MCODave, I think it's actually pretty smart of Campy to drop all but the Chorus/Record hubs. With the price of the lower end factory builts (Vento, Khamsin etc) , why would you go to the trouble of getting a quality handbuilt if all you want is a strong training wheel?

Record and Dura Ace hubs are still up to 1/2 the cost of King/DT/Tune and others...
Old 09-30-09, 07:50 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

I don't disagree with any of the comments here by Psimet2001. However, if you are in a country town in the middle of Australia (insert far away place here...) and you need a freehub/bearing etc cos your's is cactus - try getting an Alchemy hub part in under 2 weeks (if at all)...shimano however...is probably in stock.
Always a valid point and something to take into consideration when building a wheel. Always build for the purpose.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 09-30-09, 07:56 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

MCODave, I think it's actually pretty smart of Campy to drop all but the Chorus/Record hubs. With the price of the lower end factory builts (Vento, Khamsin etc) , why would you go to the trouble of getting a quality handbuilt if all you want is a strong training wheel?
...so that you can get a quality handbuilt that will be lighter and more durable...that's why.

Unfortunately I agree that this is why the big guys are not as enthusiastic as they used to be about their hubs - they have decided they are wheel builders. Unfortunately I feel that the low end offerings from both sides have made too many sacrifices on design and materials to represent a better value than a set of handbuilts.

Most of the market will never care. They get the low end on their bike as OE and then upgrade to some high end factory wheels when the entry level ones break/fail/ or get boring.

Their high end offerings are great.

It just leaves us wheelbuilders looking for alternatives.

DA hubs have horrendous pricing. Campy makes more sense $-wise at this point.

Old 09-30-09, 08:19 AM
lukasz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Record and Dura Ace hubs are still up to 1/2 the cost of King/DT/Tune and others...
It makes sense for Campy because their lower quality hubs over the years have generally been the same as their Record hubs besides some weight trimming and the oil port.
Old 09-30-09, 08:25 AM
RichinPeoria
175mm crank of love

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
...so that you can get a quality handbuilt that will be lighter and more durable...that's why.

Unfortunately I agree that this is why the big guys are not as enthusiastic as they used to be about their hubs - they have decided they are wheel builders. Unfortunately I feel that the low end offerings from both sides have made too many sacrifices on design and materials to represent a better value than a set of handbuilts.

Most of the market will never care. They get the low end on their bike as OE and then upgrade to some high end factory wheels when the entry level ones break/fail/ or get boring.

Their high end offerings are great.

It just leaves us wheelbuilders looking for alternatives.

DA hubs have horrendous pricing. Campy makes more sense $-wise at this point.

My only problem with the Record hubs is that they are 32 hole. I'm used to 36 3x and at 190-195lbs Im concerned that there will be increased maintenance for me. fyi I would use Mavic CXP33s in the build up. I really like those rims.

Last edited by RichinPeoria; 09-30-09 at 08:32 AM.
Old 09-30-09, 08:27 AM
CycleBiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sturmey Archer.
Old 09-30-09, 09:53 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
King are most likely good but over $300 for the rear hub??? Phil Wood use to be the stuff.
Old 09-30-09, 10:07 AM
jashgtp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How can you be talking about this with out posting some examples?

Old 07-17-19, 10:18 AM
tony c

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DT Swiss
Shimano Dura Ace
Phil Wood (RIP)
Old 07-17-19, 10:31 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
10 years old - good effort, but we saw a 12-year-old bump yesterday.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-17-19, 11:09 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob P.
Actually this whole "angular bearings are better than cartridge bearings" talk is BS. You can get angular contact cartridge bearings in most bearing sizes that are used for hubsets. WHY the mfg's don't use them is beyond my ability to understand but they ARE available.

For this thread, I'm having problems getting past the "best" part of the question. "Best" for one person is not the same for someone else.

If you REALLY want to discuss what hubs PERFORM better, then lets talk about hub design (ie: straight pull spokes vs J-bend vs nipples on hub vs weight vs machining vs bling vs ...) Bearings are non-starters in the "best" category because you can change them.
Because they aren't necessary in hubs. The primary reason for cup and cone bearings is serviceability, not for dealing with significant sideloading on wheels
Old 07-17-19, 12:21 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4782 Post(s)
Liked 3,899 Times in 2,536 Posts
I get a kick out the concept of a "best" hub. Hubs have a job. To support the wheel and in back, be the link between the chain/'cogs and the spokes/rim/tire/road. A lot of hubs do those jobs really well. Good hubs do it with little, straight-forward maintenance. Good hubs last a long time. Best" hubs are also shiny and have little numbers on the scale.

Very good hubs I have owned and ridden - Sanshin Pro-something (stock Fuji Pro hubs 40+ years ago, Campagnolo Tipo front hubs, Phil Woods (I wish I bought them decades sooner), '00s mid-priced Campy 9-speed and front hubs, every Ultegra front hub I've used. "Best"? Probably the Sanshin front hub that was my race wheel 1978, rebuilt as a winter wheel with a Weinmann Concave rim. ( Mangled the dust caps on the rebuild and have been using Campys since. The Campy cones are a touch smaller so I wrapped the cone/'locknut with sailing twine as a dirt seal. 1982. That wheel did a few epic winter rain rides. Took it apart last year fearing the worst. Bearings were absolutely pristine and spun like Campagnolo's best ever. The hub is still in the Weinmann rim, but when the time comes to build an almost race set of tubular wheels, this will be the front.

The other good hub I have - a Campy Tipo front my brother picked up used and gave me in 1986. It's been my winter/rain/city bike hub since then. Ridiculous number of miles. It has not been in continuous use but has a real share of the 27,000 miles my Miyata went and the 17,000 miles of my current Trek. It has had pitting for the past decade. I just pack it with marine grease every few years. (All the grease I can stuff in there.) Works perfectly. No play. Each time I go in there's a lot of that really hard to clean thick grease to deal with but it is barely discolored and the races look exactly like they did last time I looked; same pitting. I don't know how that works. It is my winter wheel and the rims get replaced more often than I do the bearings.

Speaking of good hubs - I have never seen a Tipo hub flange break despite the huge diameter. I have broken two Record track rear flanges, using them as winter road hubs. Campy USA always got me new ones but the rebuild on my commuter was a drag so when I discovered the Miche track hubs I switched. Now those have been good hubs. Sealed so every few years I take the winter/rain./city wheel to a shop and get new bearings. Miche did make some (to my mind) slightly odd choices of threads, etc. but all the Miches I have bought have served me well. (All fix gear so really not applicable to this thread.)

I don't use Shimano rear hubs simply because I run my newest geared bike on Campy standard, older ones as Phil Wood 7-speed FWs and Miches on my fix gears.

Ben

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.